• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
Brawl earned that 93. It's the most ambitious Smash game until ultimate, arguably more so. they just fucked up on a lot of gameplay decisions.
As a casual player, the only thing that annoyed me was tripping. The game had tons of content, a huge cast, a ton of stages, smash ball, a full single-player, boss rush, it's a really great game.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Just because it's not what you want doesn't mean it's a deluxe port. It fucking isn't. It's a whole new physics engine. And it has a whole new 30 hr plus single player mode. Whether it sucks or not isn't relevant.

You're just completely wrong here. If you're not trolling, then you have problems thinking through your own claims because if you logically follow them through, then almost every sequel is a port.

Want to say the game is too similar to previous versions? That's fine. That's your opinion.

But you can't say it's a fucking deluxe port. We have those. No one is saying mk8d or nsmbud isnt an enhanced port. They are.

Smash ultimate, even without the brand new 30 hour single player still wouldn't be a port.

The funny thing is, if Nintendo ported Smash 4 with no WoL and no gameplay or physics changes at all but adding a cell shaded coat of paint to drastically change the look, nobody would be saying it's a port, lol.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
As someone who has never touched the 3DS version, the best part of this game is going to be playing in the "new" and improved stages (plus the improved old ones). I find them to be stars in the game as important as characters.

Can't wait!

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Brawl deserved 93 for the newcomers alone. Sonic, Snake, Olimar, Pit, Diddy, Pokemon Trainer, etc.
It had the best newcomer cast by a mile and was ambitious as fuck.
It was also fun to play idgaf what anyone says

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
As a casual player, the only thing that annoyed me was tripping. The game had tons of content, a huge cast, a ton of stages, smash ball, a full single-player, boss rush, it's a really great game.
I mean, as a casual player I loved Brawl's additional content, but the moment to moment gameplay felt like a step down thanks to the general lack of air mobility and how it felt impossible to land any sort of simple combos. I'm not at all a pro or even close to playing on that level, but the actually playing it felt like a step backwards even though I loved the variety of characters and stages and random chaos.

It's not like Melee wasn't also choc full of casual content either, so while I missed being able to play as the new characters it still ended up being more fun to play when we felt like popping it in. We'd generally alternate between the two.

Oct 25, 2017
Brawl deserved 93 for the newcomers alone. Sonic, Snake, Olimar, Pit, Diddy, Pokemon Trainer, etc.
It had the best newcomer cast by a mile and was ambitious as fuck.
It was also fun to play idgaf what anyone says

Brawl is fantastic. It not being competitively viable doesn't change the fact that it was a fun game with an immense amount of stuff to do. Its merits as a video game, especially in the time and platform it released, definitely merited it a 93.

If any game deserved to score lower it was Smash Wii U. Its character roster and streamlined gameplay were great but its only meaningful contribution beyond that was Smash Tour and 8-Player Smash, both of which can be summarized as a chaotic mess.

Kroze

Oct 28, 2017
In honor of Ultimate currently sharing the same MC score as Brawl (as everyone knows is the BEST Smash game ever in the entire series), I feel the need to link to this amazing "review" of Brawl:

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Brawl is fantastic. It not being competitively viable doesn't change the fact that it was a fun game with an immense amount of stuff to do. Its merits as a video game, especially in the time and platform it released, definitely merited it a 93.

If any game deserved to score lower it was Smash Wii U. Its character roster and streamlined gameplay were great but its only meaningful contribution beyond that was Smash Tour and 8-Player Smash, both of which can be summarized as a chaotic mess.
Smash 4 would have been so much better as a single product. Hate the 3DS version.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

Brawl was absolutely amazing for its time, and the amount of new content made it an ambitious game in the eyes of many EVEN amongst all new HD games being released. It wasn't until the competitive scene grew larger that the narrative started to shift. In fact, I'm pretty sure a lot of the original contention for the competitive scene (at least from casual players), is because this game, a game that they absolutely loved and had some of their most memorable gaming moments in, was increasingly being labeled the worst in the series or outright "bad".

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
How is this a game that doesn't get 10/10s across the board? like...what do people take points from?

Games aren't school assignments. You don't start at 100 and deduct points for every flaw.

A slightly more accurate (but still very reductive) analogy is that games start at 50, and then reviewers add and subtract points based on what they find engaging or not.

Misterman

Jun 10, 2018
How is this a game that doesn't get 10/10s across the board? like...what do people take points from?
"In spite of a good solo mode, rich content and a decent technical side, Super Smash Bros seems more like a Deluxe version than a Swicth-specific production. Unless you're a fan of the IP, this game is far from a must-have." -JeuxActu

Basically from reviewers still calling it a port? lol

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
For someone who has never played these and doesn't find them fun and just mindless and boring would I like this one?

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
I just realised that my account is locked to Ireland while I have moved to Germany. Still 50 minutes to go.

This is first time I am going to play Smash since Brawl and Melee is a game I have A LOT fond memories of. Extremely excited to get into this. I even bought my first amiibo (Inkling-girl) to play in-game with.

FuzzyAssassin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brawl was absolutely amazing for its time, and the amount of new content made it an ambitious game in the eyes of many EVEN amongst all new HD games being released. It wasn't until the competitive scene grew larger that the narrative started to shift. In fact, I'm pretty sure a lot of the original contention for the competitive scene (at least from casual players), is because this game, a game that they absolutely loved and had some of their most memorable gaming moments in, was increasingly being labeled the worst in the series or outright "bad".

Brawl's such a weird game. The moment my friend and I put it into the Wii, we noticed that something felt off about it. The game felt kind of sluggish and floaty. This didn't stop us from enjoying the game, but that memory sticks out. The Subspace Emissary was an awesome, dumb blast of fan service with enjoyable plot points. It was a blast to play in college with people, but Smash 4 easily supplanted upon its release. I guess Smash is like pizza, even when it's "bad," it's pretty good.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
It's difficult to say if you haven't played any of them. What made you find them mindless and boring?
Just the look of it and gameplay seems boring. Not into games like this generally. Maybe would have been better with rpg mechanics like Dissidia on PSP maybe. Think I'll pass. It's good if you love Nintendo and the characters fighting each other and human friends who like it too but it just seems mindless and uninteresting for me.

othersteve

Oct 29, 2017
Just the look of it and gameplay seems boring. Not into games like this generally. Maybe would have been better with rpg mechanics like Dissidia on PSP maybe. Think I'll pass. It's good if you love Nintendo and the characters fighting each other and human friends who like it too but it just seems mindless and uninteresting for me.
Great, I sure am glad we had this conversation! 🤣

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

The single player adventure mode does have RPG mechanics but if you don't like the base gameplay of the series you're just not gonna like it. You do you.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
Well, there is spirit mode where you can equip your player with attributes like the badge system from Paper Mario and TYD. If the look of the base games is not for your liking, though, it's best not to buy it. Perhaps you can try the other games in the series first to see if it's actually fun to play for you.

ibu

Oct 28, 2017
My copy is en route... I can't wait. Only game on cart that I'll have barring Banner Saga, which will soon be finished. So it'll never need leave my console again 🙌🏾

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't say port. I said Deluxe port. Like MK8D. MK8D added an entire battle mode and included all DLC tracks, plus new characters, plus new karts and wheels and gliders, plus Labo support. Thats a Deluxe port. With Smash, they took the already huge WiiU game, added 6 fresh characters and another handful of returning or echo characters. What else did they do? Spirits and WoL. Thats like a whole new mode, like battle arena for MK8D (except way less liked than MK8D battle arena). Oh and they tweaked the stats for all the moves, to mix up the meta. I watched 4 reviews today and most mentioned the reused assets and lack of freshness. They still like the game, as will I, just as I liked MK8D. But "Deluxe Port" is probably the most accurate way to describe the game.
You have no god damn clue what you are talking about. It's not even remotely the same situation as Mario Kart.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Some grade A trolls in here.
The single player adventure mode does have RPG mechanics but if you don't like the base gameplay of the series you're just not gonna like it. You do you.
They never played the game, they don't even know if they would like it.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually a Mario mega man main but he is my third most used so basically a main lol

Nice

This will be the first Smash game I'm giving a chance to so I'm not sure which three I will main. I guess tournaments.... finish this thought later. Youngest acting out

I'm not sure if I should get it tonight and it be a early Christmas gift to my eldest or actually wait until Christmas. Lol

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
18 pages? Guess Smash is no Xenoblade 2 :D

Looks like there's no real controversy this time, which seems like a first for a big game.

as far as Smash titles meta, to me All the Smash's easily deserved above a 90 metacritic.
The only argument against one might be Smash 64, but I'd probably still give it a 9 since it was first, and was still dang good.

As someone who has never touched the 3DS version, the best part of this game is going to be playing in the "new" and improved stages (plus the improved old ones). I find them to be stars in the game as important as characters.

Can't wait!

Spirit Tracks Overworld
Rogueport
Magicant

enigmatic_alex44

GAGA IS A FLOP
Oct 25, 2017
You tried it.
Surprised the reviews are as low as they are. Was expecting 95-97 range.

Passing on this either way, Smash always felt more like a party game than a serious fighter.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I mean i still prefer the concept of sidescroller platformer being improved and refined over just a bunch of event battles but w/e

I think about this a lot, how cool it'd be to have all these characters in a platformer together with a decently written story justifying it all.

But I wonder, would you just use a completely different control scheme for that mode? Because the fighter controls just don't feel very good to me in the context of a platformer. Having dedicated platformer controls would go a long way to making the single player feel like a full fledged game.

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
Nice

This will be the first Smash game I'm giving a chance to so I'm not sure which three I will main. I guess tournaments.... finish this thought later. Youngest acting out

I'm not sure if I should get it tonight and it be a early Christmas gift to my eldest or actually wait until Christmas. Lol
It's my early Christmas gift lol