• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Here's a blast from the past for everybody

1/10 for Smash Bros 64

http://web.archive.org/web/20080611160626/http://www.elecplay.com/reviews_article.php?article=411

Vic will probably give it a 10 on his YouTube channel. How far Smash has come lmao.
Tommy absolutely hated most Nintendo games, constantly called them "kiddie" and consistently gave them terrible reviews.

He'd give games he composed the soundtracks for good scores, though.

Vic was usually a little more fair.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I think about this a lot, how cool it'd be to have all these characters in a platformer together with a decently written story justifying it all.

But I wonder, would you just use a completely different control scheme for that mode? Because the fighter controls just don't feel very good to me in the context of a platformer. Having dedicated platformer controls would go a long way to making the single player feel like a full fledged game.

As a completely random thought, I wonder how well the walking/running animations work from a behind-the-back-camera 3D perspective? It'd be really cool for a future game to have a single player mode where you explore a Pokémon-esque world encountering battles and minigames.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Tommy absolutely hated most Nintendo games, constantly called them "kiddie" and consistently gave them terrible reviews.

He'd give games he composed the soundtracks for good scores, though.

Vic was usually a little more fair.
I know lmao which is hilarious considering his new system is all family games that are 7/10+. Idk how that's possible in his eyes lmfao.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Super Smash Bros. only vaguely resembles a fighter by today's standards, it's 2D. A 2D fighter on the N64. In 1999.

A 2D fighter on the N64. In 1999.

In 1999.
Between this and that console warrior article going on about how Symphony of the Night was inherently inferior to shitty N64 Castlevania games for being 2D, the games media was slurping that 3D NEXT GEN Kool Aid with gluttonous glee.

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
Surprised the reviews are as low as they are. Was expecting 95-97 range.

Passing on this either way, Smash always felt more like a party game than a serious fighter.

Bait/joke post. You were going to pass on it no matter what I feel.

Any game in the 90s is not bad. This game is easy to learn, hard to master. You can play it as a party game, but you can also play it as a serious fighter. There's a lot of depth in it. That's the beauty of this game.

Loving the game so much right now. Enjoy everyone.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I laughed sincerely for this.

Seriously though Nintendo Life is great. They stand out with being somehow just a little extra caring, warm and heartfelt than many others. Dunno why that is. I just personally enjoy their articles a lot.

Oh, yeah totally. I always appreciate them covering just about anything that comes out on Switch (and other Nintendo platforms).

Ryugarr

Dec 6, 2018
Looks like people are already trying to review bomb the metacritic user score.... why do people do this?

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Surprised the reviews are as low as they are. Was expecting 95-97 range.

Passing on this either way, Smash always felt more like a party game than a serious fighter.

giphy.gif

dmann

Oct 27, 2017
Super annoyed my Smash bundle with the Pro controller is not arriving until Monday. Was looking forward to playing it over the weekend with my sons. Damn you WALMART!!!

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As a Samus main I gotta rework how I use Super Missiles now that there's a short delay after firing that they take off.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Another 100 and it's likely going to go to 94.

Come on, we need to beat the evil known as Brawl.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
A 95 and 3 90's today.

Looks like we are not passing Brawl.

:(