• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
...no? Is it not? It has the exact same engine (minus a few tweaks) as SSB4, but it just expanded on the characters and levels.

Is that not the case?

No joke involved here, friend. Maybe I'm out of the loop, but this was my impression.

You're definitely way WAY out of the loop. If you fancy expansion packs outselling the originals, go to the MK8D thread.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to Sakurai and the whole team, they did a great job and it shows.
12M in less than a month is really crazy for an exclusive.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad Nintendo didn't announce the game super early and took years to release it.

They kept the hype train going and delivered.

This will probably be the beer selling game on the console.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Sakurai destroyed his will power trying to negotiate with these companies for a marketing stunt they will never top.

Next smash is not gonna crack this number, not even close.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
i wonder what changed between brawl and now for smash sales to explode like this. brawl, despite insane hype, never reached that top tier of nintendo sellers which consisted of mario kart, pokemon and 2d mario. now smash ultimate is poised to demolish all of them and will surpass brawl's entire lifetime sales in 2 months on a console with 1/3rd the install base of the wii.

did negative word of mouth end up hurting brawl? are switch owners, despite being lower in number overall, more likely to buy a game like smash than the 100 million wii owners?

pretty wild. now i'm really curious to see how a new kart or nsmb would perform on switch. we gonna have 20m+ sellers all over the place.

I really wouldn't discount the evolution of Nintendo's hype machine either. A good direct absolutely engulfs twitter, and Smash provided plenty of those. Turning directs into semi-spontaneous events got people to quickly organise time in order to watch, often with people to jointly react with - whether through discord chats, a streamer's twitch feed, or whatever else. Even when they just dropped a proper trailer, it was somehow very quickly made into a meme by the community that has been built up around it. Not only was the word of mouth good, but the means of that word of mouth to be transmitted has been far greater this generation than it was the previous, I would say.

So yeah, that 12 million is very well earned.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
That's 12 million eyes of people who've seen the Richters and we still don't have a new Castlevania.

That's 12 million eyes of people who've seen Captain Falcon and we still don't have a new F-Zero.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Clearly all thanks to Ridley and K. Rool.

Should have added them sooner Sakurai!

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
That's 12 million eyes of people who've seen the Richters and we still don't have a new Castlevania.

That's 12 million eyes of people who've seen Captain Falcon and we still don't have a new F-Zero.
Imagine buying F-Zero because you like Captain Falcon in Smash and then see that he does not even punch

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Holy fucking shit.

I wonder if Sakurai is happy about it or he's thinking "oh shit I'm gonna have to do Smash 6 as well I guess"

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's truly one of the greatest games ever made.

I fully agree with Maximillian when he called it "video games the game". It's a true celebration of gaming!

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
See Nintendo? This is what you get when you finally inject some more Metroid into Smash! j/k but it's cool to see it do great, I do hope they add more SP modes though because I don't plan to play Spirits or the adventure mode. Piranha Plant is a lot of fun to play with, so that bodes well for the DLC characters.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hot damn! This game is going to be supported for a loooong time I think. With a user base that large just keep dropping the DLC and it'll print money

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Goddamn, congrats to Sakurai/Bandai Namco/Nintendo on the success!

Hot damn! This game is going to be supported for a loooong time I think. With a user base that large just keep dropping the DLC and it'll print money
You say that, but most Nintendo games don't really keep DLC support going for that long. Us getting a 2nd Fighters Pass would already be a miracle, especially considering how long this Fighters Pass will last (until February 2020) & how long Sakurai has been working on Smash constantly (8 years as of February 2020).

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Id be super surprised if there isn't talk internally of a second round of smash DLC after this upcoming one. The game's current sales and audience have more than justified it only a month in and its probably no where near its limit. The potential profit is off the charts

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Id be super surprised if there isn't talk internally of a second round of smash DLC after this upcoming one. The game's current sales and audience have more than justified it only a month in and its probably no where near its limit. The potential profit is off the charts
I mean, you could say the same for Super Mario Odyssey or Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, but neither game got any major DLC. Us getting a Season 2, while it is a possibility, is far from a guarantee.

NHarmonic.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

You say that, but most Nintendo games don't really keep DLC support going for that long. Us getting a 2nd Fighters Pass would already be a miracle, especially considering how long this Fighters Pass will last (until February 2020) & how long Sakurai has been working on Smash constantly (8 years as of February 2020).

Maybe, just maybe, it's time for Sakurai to pass the torch. Splatoon2 still has support and how much time has passed since it released?
If Sakurai can't handle the DLC process i'm pretty sure there's talent in Nintendo to keep with it while the man can have his well deserved vacations.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Maybe, just maybe, it's time for Sakurai to pass the torch. Splatoon2 still has support and how much time has passed since it released?
If Sakurai can't handle the DLC process i'm pretty sure there's talent in Nintendo to keep with it while the man can have his well deserved vacations.

He already has taken a step back and leaving shit like game balance to others. I guess the experience from overworking himself to the point of hurting himself woke him up.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Major DLC support for Splatoon 2 ended last month, with the recent weapons being carry-overs from the first game.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
To all of those incesantñy spamming that is because morbid-obesity-gator and purple-pterosaur, no they could have purchased the game any time and get them the same, its clearly because Piranha plant. Nobody wanted to miss on it (or having to pay for it).

Also SMH for people saying is an expansion pack. As said before MK8 was, this is not wven close. Lol anything to downplay success.

NHarmonic.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Major DLC support for Splatoon 2 ended last month, with the recent weapons being carry-overs from the first game.

Still a lot of time. And devs are still pumping out the splatfests and other stuff. They've been really invested in the experience, even though i disagree with some of the last additions and balance changes to the game.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
These numbers are great and the game is great.

This is great :)

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yes you've said this literally every single time someone's brought up a potential Season 2. We get it.

But can you seriously not see why Nintendo might just be interested in giving this one more support then they usually show? Especially since we're probably a lot more likely to see Splatoon 3 on Switch then another Smash game?

Also February 2020 is how long it CAN last. It's not a guarantee it'll last that long.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yes you've said this literally every single time someone's brought up a potential Season 2.

But can you seriously not see why Nintendo might just be interested in giving this one more support then they usually show? Especially since we're probably a lot more likely to see Splatoon 3 on Switch then another Smash game?

Also February 2020 is how long it CAN last. It's not a guarantee it'll last that long.
Like I said, it's a possibility, but some are arguing that it's almost a given when it isn't.

As for Splatoon 3, I'd be surprised if it wasn't saved for the next system.