• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Deceptively simple

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Finally figured it out. Boy, is this game's online infrastructure a mess.

Anyway, I didn't have time to make anything super complicated, so I made mine deceptively simple (and possibly too annoying for its own good.) Basically, the switches that rotate the platforms naturally get flipped in the chaos of battle, so you'll navigating ever-revolving blocks as you launch your foes.

As noted in the tweet, I may produce further iterations that improve on the concept. Seeing as how the logos obscure the relevant platforms, I think it lacks visual impact that draws in the player, so that'd be my next step.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any tricks to draw blocks more precisely and draw thin lines?

Ohhhh I missed that the edit tool lets you resize pieces. Also, the Switch's zoom function (found in the system settings) is vital.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2669

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know how to get the edges to work properly when constructing something out of more than one block? I have a wall block and then a roof block, but no matter what I do there's edge detection with the wall block and thus Joker struggles to tether back to the stage and can also clip through.

Maybe they'll have to patch this. :/

Mother 3 stage

SkyRocket

Oct 29, 2017
Made a second level today from my absolute favorite game of all time, since there's only one Mother 3 stage in smash.

The pigmask ship & thunder gun both move up and down slowly, and there's also a very small amount of wind(like 1% strength) throughout the whole level, since they're so high up!

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know I could just post the ID code, but how exactly do I share the stage pic preview? For whatever reason the one I made isn't showing up on my Smash World profile.
I see you already found it, but for anyone else having trouble: when in the Shared Contents menu press X for search, select Details, then move all the way to the right for Category: Creator, then select You for the Type. You can see everything that you uploadded. If you select a stage you have a "Share" option at the bottom. Click it and the Switch will automatically make a screenshot - then boots up whatever social media you have linked to post it there. You can post it or instead use the screenshot image that's in your Switch image gallery folder.
Anyone know how to get the edges to work properly when constructing something out of more than one block? I have a wall block and then a roof block, but no matter what I do there's edge detection with the wall block and thus Joker struggles to tether back to the stage and can also clip through.

Maybe they'll have to patch this. :/
Every block you place is automatically grabbable, but by double clicking a piece with the Edit tool you can turn off the grabbable edge. You usually need to do that for the simple fall through platforms you hang above your arena as well.
It's a bit of a mess because there's usually only a few blocks I'd like grabbable and most of it not, but you can group-select everything on stage with the Edit tool and turn off the grabbable option for everything first, then go through the stuff you do want grabbable.

Also lava blocks and fore/background blocks also have a grabbable toggle for some reason, lol

Deleted member 2669

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every block you place is automatically grabbable, but by double clicking a piece with the Edit tool you can turn off the grabbable edge. You usually need to do that for the simple fall through platforms you hang above your arena as well.
It's a bit of a mess because there's usually only a few blocks I'd like grabbable and most of it not, but you can group-select everything on stage with the Edit tool and turn off the grabbable option for everything first, then go through the stuff you do want grabbable.

Also lava blocks and fore/background blocks also have a grabbable toggle for some reason, lol
I was hoping this would fix everything, but they still interfere with the connected blocks!

Ironic that Joker is having issues with Stage Builder when he was released alongside it.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
These creations are really great but I still think it's really limited as a mode. They should really add more assets for us to use.

WoopWOOP collection

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Went through all the newly posted stages here. I really like the dynamic fore/background going on in some of these - like the animated Chaos or the ocean in the Zelda stage. Even the simple, cute little bats in the CV stage work really well! I should mess around that some more myself, my stages are still relatively static.

Same with the switches / gravity blocks, you can make some pretty fun contraptions with that. Dary's "tournament legal" stages still had 0 likes when I checked 'm, but I was laughing out loud. Be sure to try those out!

Here's what I uploadded recently. I've been spending most of my time in the stage creator, lol. Images in spoiler:

PHVRGKDP : It's a big clock! The two big arrows are static tho, don't worry. This is a WiiU stage I remade, but since there are multiple layers now I made it less messy and put the numbers on the background layers. Instead a platform will spin around the edges of the clock alongside the tiny arrow.

MXQRC1CW : A giant truck. Since I can't move the ground floor fast enough to replicate a moving truck, instead there's heavy winds on the ground floor blowing you off stage/below the flaming wheels of the truck. You can also enter the cargo area and open/close the door.

M55R4DQF : "That time I discovered switches". I wanted to make something involving booby traps, which ended up in this clusterfuck of a lava zone. You can ride the center block and crush other players with it.

KL1X671R : Tried remaking the Moon Zone from Mario Land 2. With the way the moon is shaped none of its edges are grabbable, so once you get launched out of the inner zone you're pretty much screwed, lol.

D32YQ3KR : It's a floppy. Super simple "small" stage, it's basically like a pit with platforms.

PHVTDT1H : It's a clapperboard. The white sections in the upperboard can be jumped through.
2019041911143000-0-E7-DF678130-F4-F0-FA2-C88-AE72-B47-AFDF.jpg

2019041911143700-0-E7-DF678130-F4-F0-FA2-C88-AE72-B47-AFDF.jpg

2019041911144700-0-E7-DF678130-F4-F0-FA2-C88-AE72-B47-AFDF.jpg

2019041911145300-0-E7-DF678130-F4-F0-FA2-C88-AE72-B47-AFDF.jpg

2019041911145900-0-E7-DF678130-F4-F0-FA2-C88-AE72-B47-AFDF.jpg

2019041911150400-0-E7-DF678130-F4-F0-FA2-C88-AE72-B47-AFDF.jpg

Forsaken City Celeste

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Most of the stages I've seen so far look good in preview but when you enter battle it just looks off in many ways. With my first stage I decided to keep it simple and focus on making it look alright in battle and having it stay as faithful to the source material as possible.

That said, here is the first screen from Forsaken City from Celeste, as faithfully recreated as I could!

D4hbmIRUIAMA_LF

Original picture:

180124_CI_C1_S1.png

Enjoy! I recommend Stamina if you decide to try it out, heh.

arturo2666

Oct 25, 2017
Made a second level today from my absolute favorite game of all time, since there's only one Mother 3 stage in smash.

The pigmask ship & thunder gun both move up and down slowly, and there's also a very small amount of wind(like 1% strength) throughout the whole level, since they're so high up!

Hell yes! Marking so I can download when I get home from work.

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have Nintendo online (and ain't getting it for this!) but wanted to share my stage based on the Ace Attorney 2 prologue scene! The Judge's lava based gavel moves left to right and rotates slightly to give the players on the cliff something to watch out for while battling!

D4h9w7AU8AEdB4l.jpg:large

It's a pretty boring stage to fight on and the limited stage builder functions ends up making the Judge look goofy but I really love it lol. Music is Fire Emblem Echoes' Lord of a Dead Empire which felt fitting for this "epic" scene.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Can someone please explain to me how does the switches work? I can't seem to get it.

Edit: oh, i got it

Last edited:

Deleted member 2669

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't seem like they accounted for tethering at all, even though they released Joker alongside this. So many stages I try screw over characters like Joker and I don't blame the stage creators because there isn't really anything they could have done about it. It's also easy to clip into stage elements; with tethering especially!

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017
One problem seems to be how the game automatically makes thin platforms capable of dropping through, even if you don't want them to work that way. I tried out a Pac Maze creation and the entire thing was made of thin platforms/lines that you could clip through, even though it was intended to be accurate to the Pac Man style.

Brawl sample stages

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
Spent the last couple days meticulously recreating the three sample stages from Brawl—Sample S: Hole, Sample M: Bath, and Sample L: Maze!

Sample S: Hole — BL8PKS0T

Sample M: Bath — KNCL75VT

Sample L: Maze — LFXQH5DY

I know plenty of other people have already attempted to remake them in Ultimate, too, but I wanted recreations that were as accurate as possible. So far, pretty much all the recreated stages I've seen shared in Ultimate (not just these sample stages but other past stages as well like Meta Crystal, etc.) have been...not that great in terms of replicating accurate functionality, scale, and all that. So I wanted to avoid that as much as possible with my remade sample stages!

I've spent hours making sure each stage is as accurate as possible to the originals from Brawl—each stage is as close as possible to their scale and position in Brawl; every single ledge that should (and shouldn't) be grabbable is (and isn't) grabbale; every moving platform is the right size and travels the correct distance, and I've even made sure their speed and positioning is matched to the originals in Brawl as much as possible and relative to any other moving platforms. Absolutely everything about these stages, functionality-wise, is as accurate as possible within the limitations of Ultimate's Stage Builder! However, since Ultimate's Stage Builder doesn't have all the same elements as Brawl's, there were some areas that I had issues with, namely the drop blocks from Brawl that don't exist in Ultimate. For these I recreated their functionality as closely as I could, but instead of dropping when they're stood on, they drop when attacked.

And if you're wondering why I made the terrain in big chunks instead of using individual blocks of terrain like Brawl's Stage Builder, it's because I've noticed that Ultimate's Stage Builder can be pretty weird with blocks of terrain like that, making it possible to pass right through the stage where two pieces of terrain touch. The way I did it ensures the least amount of weirdness and more accurately replicates the stages functionality-wise. Also, using lots of individual blocks counts more towards a stage's total weight, so all of the stages would have likely been restricted to just 4 players had I done that. Unfortunately, I couldn't make Sample L: Maze without reaching the weight limit for 8 players, so that one has to be restricted to 4 players, sadly.

Let me know if you happen to find any issues with any of my stages here! I'm pretty certain I've been as thorough as I possibly could be with these, but if there is anything discovered that can be better, I'd definitely like to know so I can make the necessary changes!

Last edited:

The007JiM

Oct 25, 2017
Oh great. Thanks. Didn't know about these extra options.
I'm not sure about if i can update my pit. because i posted again and create a duplicate.

ERAsaur collection

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
Even though this thing is super limited (and a pain to use in handheld mode) I'm enjoying it so far, it's way better than previous games where you could either make a competitive stage with no resemblance to anything or a mess of a stage that kinda looked like something but had gameplay issues. Anyways, made 5 maps from some locations that I could think of (and only two of them had already been done when I uploaded them!):

[Metroid Fusion] Sector 1 (SRX) PSF5LY5R
Zihzy8q.jpg

[Kirby's Dreamland 2] Castle DeDeDe LN54WB6Y
J8Q8wrf.jpg

[Starfox 2] Astropolis LKVHXFDP
bGKdjcR.jpg

[Pokemon Red/Blue] Cerulean Cave 4XN21MN5
BcvDQV7.jpg

[Earthbound Beginnings] Mt. Itoi Summit FXR97HKH
qCVrYLq.jpg

I'd love to see further updates to the Stage Builder in the future with some better color options and a way to turn the rail invisible, also maybe a way to place spawnpoints on the maps or at least fix the current ones which spawn the players waaaaay too close together usually.

Edit 4/20/19: Updated the rail maps so the rails were invisible/slight upgrades.

Last edited:
Blanka's stage from Street Fighter 2

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Last edited:
Castlevania 3 and Void Quest P4

SkyRocket

Oct 29, 2017
Two more stages I ended up making today..
First one is the Castlevania III: Stage 1 Intro Screen remade into a smash stage, just thought it would be a cool stage idea, nothing too crazy but it's nice to have another Castlevania stage!

Castlevania III - ID: 9TCW6GVY

D4iZ1CoVUAAOHYG.jpg:large

Second stage I made is a Persona 4 stage, as I've had this idea sitting around for 11 years ever since Persona 4 came out. The Void Quest dungeon, and it uses that really great new "I'll Face Myself" remix!

Void Quest P4 - ID: 1D4YY46P

3mGFz8B.jpg

Prunus

Sep 6, 2018
Is there a way to see friends' stages/content only? Or do I have to have the ID/search for the title?

JC Lately

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So, what's the point of the "follow" button? There doesn't appear to be a "Followed Users" category when searching for stages, nor does it seem to prioritize followed creators in the general lists.

SkyRocket

Oct 29, 2017
So, what's the point of the "follow" button? There doesn't appear to be a "Followed Users" category when searching for stages, nor does it seem to prioritize followed creators in the general lists.

In the details search option, you can go to the Creator category and set it to people you follow, so it brings up the latest things made by people you follow.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I see there are certainly some really good ones. I have to say though I'm not a fan of how everything looks like big foam blocks from little big planet.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Improved version of the stage I posted above (Amazon River Basin, Blanka's SF2 stage). I had completely forgotten about the foreground layer originally and then decided to put more things there which helped making it look busier rather than just a cabin in the ocean.
I guess I could try a different background too, but that'd require scrapping the entire stage and I think this works well enough.