• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Savantcore

Oct 28, 2017
PlayStation Now brought in $143 million last quarter - Report

Superdata pegs Sony's subscription service as the industry leader; EA's Access offerings totaled $90 million while Xbox Game Pass claimed $41 million

There's been some speculation about Netflix-style game subscription services as the future of the industry, but they're making a considerable impact on the present as well. According to a new report from industry research group Superdata, the leading subscription services combined to bring in about $273 million in revenue during the third quarter of the year.

The group determined that most of that revenue (52%) was accounted for by Sony's PlayStation Now service, which it said brought in $143 million for the quarter. EA's collection of PC and console services--EA Access, Origin Access, and Origin Access Premier--combined to bring in about $90 million, with a little over half of that coming from EA Access and the Origin offerings splitting the remainder. Interestingly, the new Premier tier of Origin Access brought in slightly more than the basic Origin Access tier, even though it was only launched partway through the quarter. Microsoft's Xbox Game Pass brought up the rear among the major offerings with roughly $41 million in revenue, a little less than EA Access but more than either of the Origin programs.

More at the link right here

dragonflys545

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Wow interesting, I thought PS Now wasn't doing too well because I've never heard anyone talk about it. I did 3 months and thought the service was alright.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I am actually shocked. I don't know a single soul who has tried PS now. Thought out the three that Gamepass would be well on top.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Surprising if true. I have never seen the service advertised to the masses or pushed anywhere near as hard as Xbox Game Pass. The service will make a killing at this rate when it is more developed and ready to have big marketing campaigns.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wow. That's a significant lead on EA Access, and that's available on PC too. I'm not surprised Game Pass is lagging behind, I feel like even though the service has been advertised to hell and back, they're still fighting an uphill battle with less consoles sold overall.

Still, very surprising. PS Now was stream only for a while, right? I'm shocked there were enough people willing to pay for something like that.

Evangelista

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Surprising if true. I have never seen the service advertised to the masses or pushed anywhere near as hard as Xbox Game Pass. The service will make a killing at this rate when it is more developed and ready to have big marketing campaigns.
How many people we have with Xbox and Playstation? That make a lot of difference.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Playstation Now has been on the market longer, Sony has another hit on their hands & as times goes it'll only get bigger.

I'll never use Streaming to game though.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Sony has a hit on its hands with Playstation Now, and analysts are starting to notice

SaN1ty24

Nov 15, 2017
tenor.gif

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
EA Access is killing it.. wow...

Yikes, PS Now as the cloud service is doing that well? Fucking hell.

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm not surprised, it's very strategically placed if you use the store on console. I can seemingly never avoid the damn advertisement page lol

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Wow. That's a significant lead on EA Access, and that's available on PC too. I'm not surprised Game Pass is lagging behind, I feel like even though the service has been advertised to hell and back, they're still fighting an uphill battle with less consoles sold overall.

Still, very surprising. PS Now was stream only for a while, right? I'm shocked there were enough people willing to pay for something like that.
Isn't Game Pass on PC as well??

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Wow that's pretty impressive, I literally don't know a soul who uses the service.

Still a little skeptical of SuperData though considering their talk about Destiny's success only for Activision to say yesterday "Some of our other franchises like Destiny are not performing as well as we'd like".

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
How many people we have with Xbox and Playstation? That make a lot of difference.

I think PC makes a big contribution too to its member numbers. I would think those are the consumers who have the high internet speed needed to stream the games acceptably.

But thats the whole thing, I have heard from a lot of casual players that they cant get the games to stream in good quality due to their internet speed. Xbox Game Pass is all downloads and no streaming at the moment, so it technically has a much wider reach in itself.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
No way, more than both services combined? Can any of our sales insiders confirm if this is even semi-accurate? Cause that's pretty impressive.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I feel like I should know at least one PlayStation Now subscriber to support this claim but I mean Congrats to Sony if true cause I'd have lost that bet hard

Kilirath

Oct 27, 2017
Out of curiosity can you share a PS Now subscription with a friend? Pretty much all my friends with an Xbox have Game Pass but a lot of them have their Xbox's set up for game sharing which also shares their Game Pass.

Not knowing that much about about the service, I wondered if that could cause a financial gap too, other than the larger PS4 install base.

AnubisRising

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Wow shocker the service thats on the console with the most users makes more then the service thats on the console with the fewer users

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
We've had threads about Superdata before and the consensus has been that they estimate their data. Is there anything to suggest that these figures are based on anything other than guesses this time?

Kei-

Mar 1, 2018
No way, more than both services combined? Can any of our sales insiders confirm if this is even semi-accurate? Cause that's pretty impressive.

It's not really all that surprising, is it? The subscription is more expensive and there are more potential customers. Remember this is just revenue.
In any case, I hope they continue to improve it with more downloadable offerings. I wonder if they could make a reasonable combination deal with PS+. Maybe just a discount for PS+ members. Or just include PS+ with an annual PS Now subscription.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I'm not surprised, it's very strategically placed if you use the store on console. I can seemingly never avoid the damn advertisement page lol

Nice point, I never look at it on the store but I guess a lot of others see it and even browse the offerings. Still, Sony is extremely quiet with the service and has yet to officially start pushing it to the masses.

But they tend to do this. Even the PS4 Pro was quietly marketed for nearly a year and a half before they started to advertise it heavily around mid-March of this year

StealthieOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dfw
I think it's surprising to a fair amount of people based on how it's talked about on here.

How so?

Gotta remember forums are definitely not the pulse of millions of gamers. Hardcore gamers are not the majority... No matter how forum users relay/post things making it seems like they are the voice of every gamer..... For example there are quite a few times I'll buy into era hyping a game... I'll get it and think its absolute shit.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
This is why I'm expecting the PS5 to be heavily subsidized, even if people call me crazy for it.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fascinating! The numbers being higher than Game Pass shouldn't be too surprising based on userbase, but still impressive. Playstation Now is apparently like Pokemon Go. Folks on forums like this think it's completely dead while missing the ocean full of subscribers.

Status
Not open for further replies.