• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Red Dead Redemption 2 received a substantial boost after launching on Steam. Digital unit sales more than doubled from 406K in November to 1.0M in December. The game became available on Steam on December 5, one month after releasing elsewhere including the Epic Games Store and Rockstar Games Launcher. This brief exclusivity window was advertised in advance, so many players simply waited a short period to play the game on their preferred launcher.

r2kvS8H.png

Read the rest of the World Wide Digital Market report for December 2019 at https://www.superdataresearch.com/blog/worldwide-digital-games-market

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
A 40/60 split is still a lot better for EGS than I expected but it does show you that most people would rather wait for Steam, even for a highly desirable game like this one (excluding rebuys, anyway). I'm curious what it would be if there was a longer gap between releases.

OP
OP
AshenOne

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
A 40/60 split is still a lot better for EGS than I expected but it does show you that most people would rather wait for Steam, even for a highly desirable game like this one (excluding rebuys, anyway). I'm curious what it would be if there was a longer gap between releases.
Mind you RDR2 released on Rockstar launcher AND EGS in November. So the 40/60 Split is between steam and Rockstar Launcher/EGS.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not terribly surprising to me or I assume anyone who's seen through the instances of EGS sales spin over the last year.
Calling it 40/60 is charitable considering EGS and RGL numbers are lumped together

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I though it was ~400k on EGS alone, not combined with Rockstar launcher?

Still, impressive in a way that despite being held back a month, lots of people already having bought the game, and bad word of mouth for performance, it still sold that well.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I was told no one was gonna wait for steam release 🤔

Lol

RDR2 I plan to get on steam sometime in the future - maybe after I finish the first one on ps3 which I plan to play sometime later this year

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the wait was literally only a month I have to imagine most people thought "eh, I'll wait."

I think the delay would be a way bigger deal if it was 6 months or a year like most other Epic exclusives. A month is nothing for most people.

Casker

Oct 25, 2017
What games has been released after their exclusivity window? Could be interesting to see the numbers comparatively and see how many months is the threshold that people will actually wait for Steam.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
And this was probably expected by EGS, might have even been better sales than expected.

We all want them to stop the exclusive stuff, but their announcement that they beat forecasts by 60% kind of went ignored.

Need to keep pressuring devs/pubs to drop the EGS exclusive crap because unless Epic is lying it's worked more than they thought it would.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Superdata is like notoriously unreliable take anything they say with like mountains of salt

granted the thread title is like 'no shit sherlock' territory

What games has been released after their exclusivity window? Could be interesting to see the numbers comparatively and see how many months is the threshold that people will actually wait for Steam.
the "big ones" (these obviously vary depending on who you ask) so far were Ashen and Hades

Ashen didn't do too hot and is currently at 478 reviews
Hades has 9102 and Supergiant seems pretty happy with it

granted theres a lot going on there (Hades is still EA, it got some streaming bump at some point, big updates constantly) that makes things unclear. we need to wait for more to get any clear pattern if there is one

i think big games will do fine, they'll have an update or dlc to push when it comes to steam and they will recover and sell fine at the end of the day
smaller games probably missed their launch spotlight and unless they are critical darlings (outer wilds will probably do gangbusters) i dont think will do too hot in their long term sales

i could be totally wrong though

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
So I guess their first numbers were wrong when they said 300k sales on EGS? Because now they say 400k with both combined...

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I guess their first numbers were wrong when they said 300k sales on EGS? Because now they say 400k with both combined...
I'm assuming Superdata is ignoring the Rockstar Launcher version of the game, which would be really dumb, but it's the only way I can think of that would make these estimates make a vague amount of sense.

OP
OP
AshenOne

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
And this was probably expected by EGS, might have even been better sales than expected.

We all want them to stop the exclusive stuff, but their announcement that they beat forecasts by 60% kind of went ignored.

Need to keep pressuring devs/pubs to drop the EGS exclusive crap because unless Epic is lying it's worked more than they thought it would.

Again...

Mind you RDR2 released on Rockstar launcher AND EGS in November. So the 40/60 Split is between steam and Rockstar Launcher/EGS.
I'm assuming Superdata is ignoring the Rockstar Launcher version of the game, which would be really dumb, but it's the only way I can think of that would make these estimates make a vague amount of sense.

If they were then they would've stated it I think since it a pretty significant omission.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
AshenOne : I bought the game on the Rockstar launcher, I'm aware it was released there.. just speaking generally. People need to keep being concerned about EGS despite numbers maybe appearing low.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Again...

If they were then they would've stated it I think since it a pretty significant omission.
I know the 40/60 stuff. I am just saying I dont believe that:
a) RDR2 only sold 500k in the launch month
b) EGS was the main platform the game was sold on (by a 300 to 100 margin!) with how much push Rockstar put on its own launcher during the launch PR.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ultimately, Superdata's estimates doesn't square up with PlayTracker's estimates (which estimated that the non-Steam version sold multiple millions). Admittedly, in turn PlayTracker's estimate for the Steam version (500k ish) doesn't square up with SteamSpy's estimate (north of a million). Ultimately, somebody (and potentially everybody) is wrong (although considering Superdata previously stated that their 408k November figure was only EGS copies, I wouldn't put too much stock on them turning around and going "406k in November between R* and EGS". This would also put doubt on SuperData's Borderlands 3 estimate)

Dec 14, 2019
The best would be for Epic to just give up the entire digital multi store business. Don't they have investors to answer to? How much money have they lost on EGS?

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Probably just lower sales for Read Dead 2 on Steam. Mind you I don't think the lower sales would have resulted in more copies of Read Dead 2 being sold on other PC platforms either.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You would be a fool to expect any new launcher to do Steam numbers magically considering how dominating they have been but a 40/60 split at least shows a decent number of the audience are not "steam or bust".

Would be super curious to know how well the Rockstar Launcher did for them. Epic kept it away from Steam for a month but the Rockstar Launcher got all the marketing.