• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Oculus Rift will be 2019's hit

https://venturebeat.com/2019/01/24/...hanks-to-psvr-oculus-quest-will-be-2019s-hit/

Article snip:

"After floundering in 2017, virtual reality hardware actually outperformed optimistic sales expectations in 2018, SuperData Research said today, with annual VR revenues reaching $3.6 billion — higher than the Nielsen-owned firm's late 2018 forecast of $3.3 billion. That's a 30 percent year over year increase in revenues, a particularly noteworthy improvement given holiday price drops on some of the leading VR devices.

According to SuperData's Q4 2018 XR market report, Sony's PlayStation VRbecame the market leader during the holiday quarter, selling 700,000 units — the largest number of headsets sold across any category. By contrast, the standalone Oculus Go sold 555,000 units, with the PC-tethered Oculus Rift and HTC Vive selling 160,000 and 130,000 headsets, respectively.

SuperData attributes the strong sales in part to appealing prices. Between Black Friday discounts and the release of games such as Beat Saber, the PSVR ended 2018 on its strongest note yet. For $199, the easy-to-use Oculus Go appealed to first-time VR headset buyers, though the firm says consumers "craved higher-end experiences in console, PC and standalone headsets."

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There must be numbers somewhere but that specific Black Friday bundle with moss and Astro bot was probably the biggest home run VR has ever had.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
yup 2018 was year of PSVR for my circle of friends. We went with 1 person having a PSVR to 7 due to beat saber and astro bot. That black friday bundle was killer

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
According to SuperData's Q4 2018 XR market report, Sony's PlayStation VRbecame the market leader during the holiday quarter, selling 700,000 units — the largest number of headsets sold across any category. By contrast, the standalone Oculus Go sold 555,000 units, with the PC-tethered Oculus Rift and HTC Vive selling 160,000 and 130,000 headsets, respectively.

That all sounds like terrific news (700k PSVR sold in a quarter?) but ... man, it's SuperData. Their track record hasn't been the greatest.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, some have said price is the barrier.

For PSVR $299 might be the max launch price for better adoption. Hopefully Sony can do it and not take a massive loss on the next gen version of PSVR.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Wasn't Superdata banned on GAF for being unreliable in numbers?? Still curious to see how VR numbers are in the US

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The way people talked about PSVR so much this holiday, you'd think it had just launched.

The right price point and the right games finally moved units.

OP
OP
Dragonyeuw

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I'm reading above about the SuperData 'unreliability'. Sorry, wasn't aware of this or being banned on 'the other site' if true.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I bought one to try beat saber and then multiple friends have bought them since coming over and trying it. It is absolutely a system selling killer app.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I don't care if SuperData say VR grew 3000% in 2018. They are not to be trusted on any level whether it looks good or bad for VR. They have always been wrong on a colossal scale.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
They are not to be trusted on any level whether it looks good or bad for VR. They have always been wrong on a colossal level.
Well... their 2016 numbers were in pretty decent ballpark, but that might have been a coincidence... or luck.
I haven't heard enough about numbers since to be able to judge their current tallies.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Just remember this, when taking Superdata data into account:

SteamHWSurvey2018Chart6.png

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm reading above about the SuperData 'unreliability'. Sorry, wasn't aware of this or being banned on 'the other site' if true.

SuperData in the past were known for inaccuracies, but they were acquired by the Nielsen Group a while back, and have likely been accurate since that point. Anything less could look bad on Nielson, and we know Nielson already has access to this sort of data and is one of the most reputable data analysis and reportage forms in the world.

freeradical

Oct 27, 2017
SuperData in the past were known for inaccuracies, but they were acquired by the Nielsen Group a while back, and have likely been accurate since that point. Anything less could look bad on Nielson, and we know Nielson already has access to this sort of data and is one of the most reputable data analysis and reportage forms in the world.
Would still appreciate some moderator verification as to the use of Superdata on this board.
Edit: deleted inaccurate statement

Last edited:

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Well... their 2016 numbers were in pretty decent ballpark, but that might have been a coincidence... or luck.
I haven't heard enough about numbers since to be able to judge their current tallies.
Which ones? Remember when SuperData projected 2.6 million PSVR sales for 2016 despite Sony saying they were looking in the ballpark of hundreds of thousand sales?

And the media unfortunately ate it all up. No one reported what Sony was saying. It was all about what analysts like SuperData were saying.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Isnt it Oculus Quest that's suppose to have the big year this 2019, As it's standalone VR with no wires etc.

Either way VR had a great 2018, The tech and games will only get better.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Oculus *Quest will be 2019 hit (not Rift).

Right now I'm most interested in the Cosmos since it seems that it'll be best of both worlds (standalone and PC), but honestly I'm going to wait until true next gen hardware, even if that's 3 years from now (I have a Rift so I should be fine until then)

Glad VR seems to be gaining wider acceptance, but we still aren't even close to the explosion. I think we'll see it in the next 5 years though, and when it happens, it will move worlds.

Things that will take it to the tipping point:
-Valve's Half Life VR
-this gen headsets become less than 200 bucks.
-dynamic foveated rendering becomes the norm, which will halt the need for more power while enabling ultra hi res.
-wireless PC/console VR
-ergonomic improvements, smaller and lighter headsets.
-made for VR internet browsing standards and other apps, similar to what happened with mobile.

If half of these are met, I think it will begin to usher in the true next generation of interactive tech.

Last edited:

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Oculus Quest will definitely have a good chance to shift at least a million units this year.

It's going to take an Oculus Quest 2 or 3 to start competing with 20+ million a year console sales though.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
End of the year sales estimates(mind you it wasn't perfect - but at least the general ballpark)
Their projections were indeed wildly inaccurate, but at least that literally 'is' just guessing.

Oculus Quest will definitely have a good chance to shift at least a million units this year.
Let's see if Oculus manufacturing can cope with it first :P
I'm not sure yet though - between being priced to compete with higher-end devices and running downgraded versions of software and no option to run ANY existing Oculus store stuff, it'll be interesting to see how the market reacts. Personally I'd be offended if I owned anything from their store - but as a first Oculus device - I'm still thinking about it.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I think Sony themselves said that they were disappointed with PSVR sales (underperformed).
They weren't disappointed with PSVR sales from what I understand. What Sony were disappointed was the large difference between their platform and competition as VR is still in the early stages and if VR companies are showing huge difference in success, then it doesn't really bode well for the future of VR overall.

Oct 26, 2017
The more that are out there, the more people who haven't experienced it will get to try it, I made a point of demoing mine to my friends and they were all floored by it with one of them getting one for christmas from his wife.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't seem accurate at all. PCVR users doubled last year on Steam alone, and Nvidia recently stated 4 million PCVR headset have sold total.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
I think Oculus quest couid be a game changer to a VR market already on the rise. Wireless standalone with good tech packed in. I just wonder how many games it'll have after launch.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
They weren't disappointed with PSVR sales from what I understand. What Sony were disappointed was the large difference between their platform and competition as VR is still in the early stages and if VR companies are showing huge difference in success, then it doesn't really bode well for the future of VR overall.

But they're the only ones who used less effective motion control/tracking hardware. If they really thought that then they should have helped match standards so multiplayer games, for example, could be cross platform and have higher populations overall, which would lead to higher success across all platforms.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I think Oculus quest couid be a game changer to a VR market already on the rise. Wireless standalone with good tech packed in. I just wonder how many games it'll have after launch.

Oculus Quest does sound good, especially the wireless headset.

The cons are that the Oculus Quest has its own library of games, and that library is fairly small at the moment. It requires re-buying all the games, just as if the Oculus Quest was a brand-new gaming console, which I suppose it is.

I expect it will do great this year, but I don't think I'm the target market.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Wow if those numbers are close to being correct, I guess PSVR must be close to 4 million now then, if it hasn't already passed 4 million.

Hopefully Sony announce the 4 million sold milestone soon to confirm this, if true.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
But they're the only ones who used less effective motion control/tracking hardware. If they really thought that then they should have helped match standards so multiplayer games, for example, could be cross platform and have higher populations overall, which would lead to higher success across all platforms.

There's more they can do for sure, I'm just clarifying the difference of what was actually said. Cross platform could have been better in helping VR but there's more problems than just multiplayer games but actual software adoptions as well. In the US, Four of the Best selling VR games in physical and digital is Sony published and two of them have online. Third parties aren't even having much presence either.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Would still appreciate some moderator verification as to the use of Superdata on this board.
I think Sony themselves said that they were disappointed with PSVR sales (underperformed).

Sony were actually surprised by just how popular the PS VR was, it was the rest of the VR market growth that they were disappointed with. In other words, how well the other VR units outside of PS VR sold.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/26/business/sony-playstation-vr-sales.html

And there's no recent inaccuracies or mishaps by SuperData since their acquisition by Nielson, to show they aren't reliable. The specificity of the data they've been relaying in recent times would if anything indicate it is reliable, thus being sourced in a more detailed and specific manner.

Last edited:

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony pushing the medium forward. Awesome.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oculus *Quest will be 2019 hit (not Rift).

Right now I'm most interested in the Cosmos since it seems that it'll be best of both worlds (standalone and PC), but honestly I'm going to wait until true next gen hardware, even if that's 3 years from now (I have a Rift so I should be fine until then)

Glad VR seems to be gaining wider acceptance, but we still aren't even close to the explosion. I think we'll see it in the next 5 years though, and when it happens, it will move worlds.

Things that will take it to the tipping point:
-Valve's Half Life VR
-this gen headsets become less than 200 bucks.
-dynamic foveated rendering becomes the norm, which will halt the need for more power while enabling ultra hi res.
-wireless PC/console VR
-ergonomic improvements, smaller and lighter headsets.
-made for VR internet browsing standards and other apps, similar to what happened with mobile.

If half of these are met, I think it will begin to usher in the true next generation of interactive tech.
Agreed

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
700k sounds ridiculously high

Not sure if I believe that

I was about to write that I think Sony would be pleased with those sales for the whole year, not just the holidays.
It's actually quite insane considering the last total numbers I remember from before winter was < 2 million WW.

If they sold 700k in a few months that is insane but as you say, hard to believe.