• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Played about 40 minutes and had a blast. Great setting, voice acting, and graphics. Best announcement of the night for me.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't given any thought to Epic in ages, but man I really hate them now.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Loved both Transistor and Pyre and will buy the game when it releases fully.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't given any thought to Epic in ages, but man I really hate them now.
You hate a company because they are competing against a monopoly like steam? Of course it will take money to bring devs and their games over, they need to compensate the loss of exposure and player base steam has.

Subutai

Metal Face DOOM
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is that bad of a use for the Epic store. If your game is early access and locked to one client but will (maybe) be released to other stores when completed, I think that's perfectly fine.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
oh cool always nice to see a new supergiant game even though I didn't really care for pyre all that much

probably won't touch this for a while though with the new poe league coming out tomorrow,can only tolerate so much arpg type stuff

Oct 27, 2017
GA, USA
Fuck yeah! I'm always ready to see what Supergiant has next. They're top notch with art design and music, and I loved playing Bastion (although I need to try Transistor again and finally try Pyre, not fond of the idea of a sports like gAme though)

Viken

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bought it, just to mess with the epic store and the game a bit. I love these guys.

Epic's storefront needs a lot of work.

Kentsui

Oct 26, 2017
Got to love the fact that the part of the FAQ about it being store exclusive and if it will come to other storefront doesn't actually answer the question ....

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You hate a company because they are competing against a monopoly like steam? Of course it will take money to bring devs and their games over, they need to compensate the loss of exposure and player base steam has.

The incentive to "bring devs and their games over" was the generous revenue split. The PC is an open platform and developers and publishers can sell their games on a variety of storefronts. This is an attempt to force people into the launcher and only benefits Epic and the pubs shitty enough to sign exclusives in the PC space.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
OH no I downloaded EPIC launcher and it took less than a minute. Fuck this exclusives

/sarcasm

Oct 31, 2017
Sorry, I don't understand the store loyalty. There are plenty of Steam store exclusives too on PC, mostly AAA games.
I'll explain it to you: supporting this behavior is an endorsement to repeat it more and more as we go.

I won't tell others what they should do, but I know what will be my course of actions: to ignore all these money-hatted exclusives on a single store and to hope for the games that did it to underperform commercially, so they will be forced to reconsider.

Do you want to compete with the market leader? Fine, give me a service I'll have good reasons to prefer to it.
Better prices, more tools, more options, Linux support and what else.

durrrklin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Best Coast
Seeing it is only on Epic's launcher took all the wind out of my sails. Gonna wait for it to be on Steam, I am tired of having to manage tons of launchers.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any impressions of the game?
Played for about an hour and a half so far. Visuals are fantastic (as expected from Supergiant) and the music is quite good (again, as expected). Story is pretty light but fairly interesting so far, I think most people will appreciate it if they have at least a passing interest in Greek mythology. The voice acting is very good, which really brings the characters to life. It's pretty entertaining to hear Zagreus and Hades bicker as a son and father who don't get along, and Achilles fulfills a nice mentor role for Zagreus.

Combat is fast and smooth, I've unlocked all the available weapons already and they are all fun to use (my personal favorite is the shield weapon, gives me Rygar vibes and it's very powerful). The combat system relies heavily on environmental objects to deal heavy damage. When you enter a room, there will be pillars, various traps, and enemies will spawn in. Knocking them into traps or walls deals extra damage, and getting that extra damage is crucial in the first few rooms when you don't have a lot of upgrades yet. Enemies can easily be stun-locked by your basic attack combo, but to compensate for this many enemies will spawn at once to keep you mobile. You have a dash to facilitate this, it's pretty much instant and allows you to avoid attacks if you have quick reflexes, as well as zip quickly across the battlefield. Every weapon except for the starting sword has a ranged attack, but you have this stone thing which allows you to cast one magic attack. It's powerful but once it's cast it sticks with the enemy and you can't use it again until you kill that enemy.

Overall I really like it, feels like an evolution of what they did with Bastion in terms of gameplay, but in a roguelike structure instead of a more traditional Action RPG.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this a Diablo-like?
Not really, other than it being an isometric action RPG. It's way more similar to something like Dead Cells, but more streamlined and with better production values and more of a focus on narrative. There isn't any traditional loot, just randomized upgrades you can get for each run, plus persistent upgrades that carry over between runs.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Will wait for consoles (if I have the strength). This is was a pretty cool shadow drop.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Played for about an hour and a half so far. Visuals are fantastic (as expected from Supergiant) and the music is quite good (again, as expected). Story is pretty light but fairly interesting so far, I think most people will appreciate it if they have at least a passing interest in Greek mythology. The voice acting is very good, which really brings the characters to life. It's pretty entertaining to hear Zagreus and Hades bicker as a son and father who don't get along, and Achilles fulfills a nice mentor role for Zagreus.

Combat is fast and smooth, I've unlocked all the available weapons already and they are all fun to use (my personal favorite is the shield weapon, gives me Rygar vibes and it's very powerful). The combat system relies heavily on environmental objects to deal heavy damage. When you enter a room, there will be pillars, various traps, and enemies will spawn in. Knocking them into traps or walls deals extra damage, and getting that extra damage is crucial in the first few rooms when you don't have a lot of upgrades yet. Enemies can easily be stun-locked by your basic attack combo, but to compensate for this many enemies will spawn at once to keep you mobile. You have a dash to facilitate this, it's pretty much instant and allows you to avoid attacks if you have quick reflexes, as well as zip quickly across the battlefield. Every weapon except for the starting sword has a ranged attack, but you have this stone thing which allows you to cast one magic attack. It's powerful but once it's cast it sticks with the enemy and you can't use it again until you kill that enemy.

Overall I really like it, feels like an evolution of what they did with Bastion in terms of gameplay, but in a roguelike structure instead of a more traditional Action RPG.
Fantastic post, thank you for your impressions!

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic post, thank you for your impressions!
No problem, it feels very polished for an Early Access game. There is clearly more content to come (the fact that it's possible to unlock all the weapons in an hour and a half kind of speaks to that) but I'm sure I'll put in a ton more time, enough for it to be worth spending the $20 on already.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, other than it being an isometric action RPG. It's way more similar to something like Dead Cells, but more streamlined and with better production values and more of a focus on narrative. There isn't any traditional loot, just randomized upgrades you can get for each run, plus persistent upgrades that carry over between runs.

Bit disappointing for me but it looks really incredible so I think I'll give it a shot regardless.

The art style alone is amazing.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I'll explain it to you: supporting this behavior is an endorsement to repeat it more and more as we go.

I won't tell others what they should do, but I know what will be my course of actions: to ignore all these money-hatted exclusives on a single store and to hope for the games that did it to underperform commercially, so they will be forced to reconsider.

Do you want to compete with the market leader? Fine, give me a service I'll have good reasons to prefer to it.
Better prices, more tools, more options, Linux support and what else.

It will take years for a new Storefront to catch up with Steam, feature for feature. You expect zero radical competitive moves while that happens ?

Epic is not obliged to compete on your terms.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Yoooo this game is a blast! Doesn't feel early access at all.

Feels like a Supergiant game! Love how you slowly unlock things/get more powerful with each run. They've got the formula down pat.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018

I didn't support GFWL when they had Company of Heroes and Dawn of War 2 locked down, I just don't support walled gardens on PC, such shitty practices don't belong on the one open source platform.

Valve is pretty transparent about its support for open and even sharing their API allowing devs to resell keys for full profit on their own webpages. Tim Sweeny and Galyonkin on the other hand are a bunch of hypocrites, I mean they're in the business of making money in the end, but given how Tim Sweeny was blasting MS over UWP a couple of years ago and now locking down exclusives?

It will take years for a new Storefront to catch up with Steam, feature for feature. You expect zero radical competitive moves while that happens ?

Epic is not obliged to compete on your terms.

And I'm not obliged to support their practices, anyone who supports walled gardens on PC supports an end to true PC gaming.

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This is a lot of fun - fantastic art, charming characters, fun gameplay. Slightly worried the combat might get old after too many runs, but I'm only an hour in so that's not a concern yet.

Volkama

Oct 30, 2017
YES! I LOVE their games. In.

Here some quick avatar if anyone wants it.
vK4ONBE.png

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There's that word again. That incorrectly used word.

Fun fact this move is more anti consumer than anything Valve has done in over a decade. Arguably since they forced people to install Steam to play HL2, which would mean 14 years ago.

Greendomo

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for the impressions! Gonna hopefully give it a try this weekend.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The game's...really good. Great even. The combat is top notch, but what i'm really impressed by is the charm of all the characters. The little Ghorgan girl that has a crush on the prince is so cute!

Is anyone having alot of trouble with the fatties? Rocking the spear, but I can't seem to get my dodge right.
That's not my problem, is it?
No that clearly isn't your problem, but something else it. There's other places we're you can discuss it if you want to be a complete jerk. This is for discussion on the game, which you aren't discussing.