• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dgco86

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, my account was blocked from purchasing earlier today so I missed the Hades deal in my region (Singapore). I just hope the price gets adjusted again by the time my account is unblocked.

Last edited:

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Wait so... if I bought it this morning it would've been 7$ but with all that fuckery now its up to 10$? Yeah no thanks, screw them for that shit.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
It's also understandable that people are pissed that a game was set to X and devs set it to Y. I would take the loss instead of pissing everyone off.
Exactly and its not like they were eating any kind of loss with this deal, it was a normal sale price they were already expecting to lose then Epic covered the extra discount. Seems rather greedy to me.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
The $10 pricepoint makes sense. It was complete B.S. when it was temporarily raised to $25/15, they even said they would announce far in advance at a price increase....

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly and its not like they were eating any kind of loss with this deal, it was a normal sale price they were already expecting to lose then Epic covered the extra discount. Seems rather greedy to me.

The fact they took off the sale they were already doing anyway because of the EGS sale kind of bothers me a bit. Like:

"Epic is already covering that part of the sale, so lets just get rid of the sale we were having real quick, so we can get a couple extra dollars."

Still much better than raising the base price to 25 though.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Official response from Discord on bringing back down the price:
The retail price of Hades is now back to $19.99, our original launch price. With the Epic Discount, you can get the game for $10 off that price right now, through to the end of the sale on June 13. After the sale is over, on June 14, we will be raising the game's retail price to $24.99. We had intended to raise the retail price of the game soon, but made the decision rashly as part of the sale -- we didn't provide advance notice to our customers, despite previously stating we would do so. That was our mistake, and we sincerely apologize. To all our players, thank you for your patience and understanding around this.

might want to add it to the OP

Tracygill

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Left
Now it's back to $11 for me.

DYOcjgd.gif

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

FFS Its not like Supergiant is fucking EA or Ubisoft. They are a small indie dev of under 20 people. Yeah, SHAME they would want the hard work and effort to pay off for them. I swear to god. Y'all love games but apparently don't give a shit about people getting paid to make them.

Supergiant Games response

kid_zomb

Creative Director, Supergiant Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Mill Valley, CA
Hey, I'm going to crosspost this from our Discord. I hope someday I can come back to this forum and talk about Sekiro or something rather than have to post stuff like this, but we screwed up, and I screwed up personally in handling a lot of the communication today. Thank you for the feedback on this thread and the main thread about the sale.

________

Earlier today, Hades became available at a significant discount as part of the Epic Mega Sale on the Epic Games store. We communicated poorly in the hours that followed, and want to clear things up.

The retail price of Hades is now back to $19.99, our original launch price. With the Epic Discount, you can get the game for $10 off that price right now, through to the end of the sale on June 13.

After the sale is over, on June 14, we will be raising the game's retail price to $24.99. We had intended to raise the retail price of the game soon, but made the decision rashly as part of the sale -- we didn't provide advance notice to our customers, despite previously stating we would do so. That was our mistake, and we sincerely apologize. To all our players, thank you for your patience and understanding around this.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
FFS Its not like Supergiant is fucking EA or Ubisoft. They are a small indie dev of under 20 people. Yeah, SHAME they would want the hard work and effort to pay off for them. I swear to god. Y'all love games but apparently don't give a shit about people getting paid to make them.

So becaus they are small and indie, they are allowed to do illegal and unethical price changes during a sale ?

Artorias

Oct 25, 2017
So they aren't losing a dime and Epic is footing their bill. This is somehow supposed to make things okay?

It's not the money, it's the principle of it. They really should put it back to the price it was, not this "meet in the middle" cop out.

My two cents.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
The fact they took off the sale they were already doing anyway because of the EGS sale kind of bothers me a bit. Like:

"Epic is already covering that part of the sale, so lets just get rid of the sale we were having real quick, so we can get a couple extra dollars."
John Wick Hex has a 10% discount + the Epic discount.

You'd think Supergiant wouldn't want to suffer the bad PR for $2.50, but I guess they figure enough vocal people will see that they've "lowered" the price-- they didn't, they raised it by $2.50-- and give them a pass.

Still gross.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

What does that have to do with it? They weren't losing any money from how it was setup this morning. Epic covered the additional discount.

Them raising the base price even if planned(which their tweet earlier today didn't really give that impression imo) felt timed with the Epic sale to raise the price while still having it on sale that they wouldn't need to cover at all. Have their cake and eat it.

Having followed them for the better part of a decade, loving their games dearly and even double dipping on most of their games. It's still kind of scummy what they did.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, I'm going to crosspost this from our Discord. I hope someday I can come back to this forum and talk about Sekiro or something rather than have to post stuff like this, but we screwed up, and I screwed up personally in handling a lot of the communication today. Thank you for the feedback on this thread and the main thread about the sale.

________

Earlier today, Hades became available at a significant discount as part of the Epic Mega Sale on the Epic Games store. We communicated poorly in the hours that followed, and want to clear things up.

The retail price of Hades is now back to $19.99, our original launch price. With the Epic Discount, you can get the game for $10 off that price right now, through to the end of the sale on June 13.

After the sale is over, on June 14, we will be raising the game's retail price to $24.99. We had intended to raise the retail price of the game soon, but made the decision rashly as part of the sale -- we didn't provide advance notice to our customers, despite previously stating we would do so. That was our mistake, and we sincerely apologize. To all our players, thank you for your patience and understanding around this.
I hope you don't feel you aren't welcome to keep posting in the forum, yall just need to have a serious discussion about communication to the public and rash decisions like this in the future. You had various tweets hour before and went against all of them in a moment of panic. It is what it is now, but this could have been mostly avoided if the decision to increase the price wasn't pushed forward mid-sale.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So becaus they are small and indie, they are allowed to do illegal and unethical price changes during a sale ?

I don't see how this is a problem at all. They already communicated that the price was going up due to them adding more content into the game.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Bought it at $9.99.

What a weird situation but the price is definitely worth it.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017

________

Thanks for making things better. Although you should have probably just went all the way and offered game at the original price this morning. Still not a great look.

Last edited:

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017

________

Will you be refunding the difference for customers who paid one of the higher prices during the sale?

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
The fact they brought the base price down to the original is the least they could have done. Scummiest thing I've seen and indie do in a long time, and I say that as someone who loves their games.

This definitely is a black mark on their record for me and will consider it next time they come out with a game. This time I got lucky and managed to grab it at the original price, others weren't so lucky and now it's effectively 2.50 higher.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
I entered the thread going "What is Hades?"

Then I researched and was like "Whoa, cool game!"

Then I read the thread and was like "What the hell??"

Then I looked at the store for myself and I'm like "Dam clusterfuck, maybe not then"

What a rollercoaster ride

lol sucks. I woulda grabbed it for 6 or 7$ for sure.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how this is a problem at all. They already communicated that the price was going up due to them adding more content into the game.

They literally said yesterday there was no plans for price increase in the immediately future AND that would they provide early warning of one.

And suddently during a sale, they increase the price without warning?

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, resolution, nice. So now that it's back to the original price, please consider checking the game out. The gameplay is really fun and has the most fun progression of any Roguelite that I've played.

It's selfish, but I really want the game to do well as I enjoy playing it immensely.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

________

This is the right thing to do. I imagine it is also the smart thing to do. You guys are still going to likely catch a little more flack (anger rarely dissipates instantly), but you have essentially made this a non-issue. In a week most people will have forgotten about the whole debacle.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
They weren't losing any money though. The game was already discounted for an established sale and then Epic took an extra 10$ that the developer still makes despite that discount. They already were expecting to lose the 2.50$ the game was already on sale for but since Epic is giving an extra discount they decided instead that they wanted to make more money and they (well first raised the price but eventually dropped it back to the normal price) removed the discount that was already in before the extra 10$ Epic took off. That is greedy and is as good as raising the price by 2.50$ even if they say its 'back to normal.' Now if they get away with it any time an Ubisoft or EA game would go on sale on the EGS in the future they could do the same shit as Supergiant has done here and just force epic to do the discounts and continue to make the profit off the full purchases regardless of whatever discounts a game already had. That is complete and utter bullshit and no one should stand for it.

Oct 27, 2017
So many armchair lawyers in here.

These EGS threads are becoming absurd.

Seriously you don't need to be a damn lawyer to have a grasp of basic consumer law. As a damn consumer you should be aware of the basics just so you are able to protect yourself and know when your consumer rights are being infringed. This is not me "armchair" lawyering it is basic consumer rights knowledge and the dudes running their company should be aware of these consumer rights like I am.

BubbaGum

Oct 26, 2017
Oof, I was actually the one who made that original tweet asking about the possible increase in price during it's full release because I was debating whether or not to pick it up at $7. Now it got raised to $15 and now lowered to $10?

I'll probably come across as entitled, but my backlog is already too large to justify paying more than I originally would have when I first posted that tweet this morning.

Cube001

Dec 7, 2017
Just to elaborate on my previous posts, since it's became clear now. With the price increase, the game's price went from $10 to $15 (for my region) and was eligible for the Epic $10 discount which dropped the price to $5, and now it went back to $10 again without any effective discounts (still cheap).

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, resolution, nice. So now that it's back to the original price, please consider checking the game out. The gameplay is really fun and has the most fun progression of any Roguelite that I've played.

It's selfish, but I really want the game to do well as I enjoy playing it immensely.
I mean it's still more than it was at the start of the sale because the original discount applied as well dropping it to like $7 or $8. But personally I have no issues with them removing the original discount and having the $10 come off MSPR. My issue was always with them raising the base price in the middle of a sale.

They still aren't completely clear on my end since they made it pretty obvious that their intentions were to increase the price so it was on sale for $15 and were being shady about the whole thing, but I do at least appreciate when a company comes out and outright says they screwed up. I've at least gone back to I might snag the game at some point from the recent developments.

Quatermain

Oct 29, 2017
So they raise the price without notice after saying they'd give notice during a sale where they're not even losing out on the revenue because Epic is covering it? Then telling people on twitter they feel justified in the sudden price increase because of the current content of the game. Come on.

I was going to buy this game when I got home from work, but I cannot abide by this kind of fuckery, even if it is an indie developer.