• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rare

Oct 25, 2017
yeah this is some major bullshit
so supergiant decides to raise the price of hades after they had the game on sale for 7 bucks during the epic mega sale, they then raise the base price to 25 without announcing they are changing the price

DESPITE HOURS EARLIER SAYING THEY WOULD ANNOUNCE BEFOREHAND THEY WOULD RAISE THE PRICE

they claim that the 7 bucks was a price error but even if that was the case, why would they raise the price to 25 dollars during the sale? the base price before was 20 dollars so the price during the sale should have been 10.

here's what one of the devs says on the situation

Hey, I'm one of the developers of Hades. I wanted to personally apologize for the confusion around the sale pricing -- the lower sale price earlier today was in error. To folks who picked up the game at a reduced price, we're grateful for their support, and we hope they enjoy the game.

To everyone else, the corrected sale price is a 25% discount off of the previous $19.99 retail price (regional pricing varies though should be equivalent). The game's retail price is now $24.99, which we think reflects the game's current value in Early Access based on all the additions and improvements we've made since launch.

I lurk on this forum but haven't posted much, though will keep an eye on this thread if there's anything else I can do at the moment. Really appreciate your understanding here.

EDIT: Look at the threadmarks for a proper recap, does a much better job explaining what happened than I have.
DOUBLE EDIT: They've lowered the price again! Thank you supergiant for listening.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
And honoring the sale price hours before, as well:

zys0s8a.png

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Glad I grabbed it for $7 earlier today.

How convenient they decided during this sale was the perfect time to raise the price of the base game. Especially with zero notice.

Really shady to go from a 15% discount (before epics discount) to a 25% price increase (after epics discount).

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Was wondering what the heck was going on with this. I was excited about a sub $10 price tag but couldn't figure out if people were mistaken or what.

Cube001

Dec 7, 2017
Not sure what's going on (maybe it's a regional thing?), but the game is listed for $5 (down from $15) for me as shown below...

Edit: It was being sold for $7 or $8 earlier today.

BnuKh39.jpg

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This might be the most disappointed I've personally been in a game dev. I wouldn't even expect this kind of thing from some of the more "money-grubbing" AAA studios and to see this studio do it is really disheartening.

Man, I've followed these people since Bastion and have double dipped on their games multiple times. This sucks.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I hope it's worth it for them.

I went from the only thing I was going to buy today to not buying. I'm sure lots of others are buying so I'm sure I don't matter regardless of my past support of their games on multiple platforms.

It's cool.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Fairly certain this considered a manipulative pricing practice in many countries, and as such is illegal. I'm not a lawyer though.

Baffled as to why anyone involved would want to do this.

With this, Paradox/Klei pulling their games, and Ubisoft games not being available to buy during this sale (despite the store pages advertising the discounts), this sale really does seem like it was ill thought out.

I've never seen any company throw around so much money, with such little plan, to generate such negative sentiment. Feels like Epic don't really understand the area they are operating in.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
they couldnt even do what the other publishers did and remove their game outright because it's exclusive to Epic Game Store.

I love their titles, but this is one of the worst things you could do to your public mid-sale. Are they trying to cover their asses so their game isnt devalued? I guess. But this was not the way to do it.

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Fuck those bastards, never gonna see my money again. Was expecting to buy Hades tonight and suddenly they change the price in the middle of the sale, that's unacceptable!!!

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was planning to buy the game tomorrow after I got paid to support the devs (even though I don't play anything on PC anymore) only for this to happen. Such a huge disappointment

Epic was covering the amount of money lost in the sale, so it's not like Supergiant was losing money from each sale

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if the store's tools are unintuitive or just bad in some other way, that's the second weird story i read about this sale today.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
shows $24.99, $14.99 with epic discount for me. couldnt log onto my epic account at work to snag it then. now that im home, im not going to bother at that price.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Seems like this sale has been throwing devs for a loop. I'm guessing the idea is that Developers are scared of future prospects.
Don't want to hear stuff like "Why is Hades $24.99 on steam when it was only $8 bucks on EGS before it was even done"

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Ok now this is really weird, is this even allowed?
Didn't Epic say they are eating the cost.

Edit : yeah this feel like price manipulation and is prohibited.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
This kind of reminds me of those 10% off Ebay item promotions where it just seems like all the vendors raise their prices slightly to compensate, basically nabbing the Ebay provided discount for themselves. I think I'll wait a while longer on Hades then.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I expect more from Supergiant.

Would have jumped on this when I got home if they kept the price as is, but changing it during a sale to neutralize the sale is scummy.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
Yeah this game absolutely should be sold at more than 5$ tho, that's just a crazy price. It's not illegal to change the price in France when the sale is going on, I remember saving 200€ once on a s8 and the shop owner was hela pissed at the incorrect etiquette price tag. He changed the price straight after. If you grabbed Hades when it was that low however, good for you and enjoy

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like this sale has been throwing devs for a loop. I'm guessing the idea is that Developers are scared of future prospects.
Don't want to hear stuff like "Why is Hades $24.99 on steam when it was only $8 bucks on EGS before it was even done"
I'm still not buying it above $8 now out of spite

(not like I actually play games, I just buy them!)

Yeah this game absolutely should be sold at more than 5$ tho. It's not illegal to change the price in France, I remember saving 200€ once on a s8 and the shop owner was hella pissed. He changed the price straight after. If you grabbed it when it was that low however, good for you and enjoy
its illegal state by state and in many other non us countries though and doing it internationally means you need to abide by that law. California I know for a fact has this, as sears and such got sued for it a few years back.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know how correcting a price error is shady. With this and Paradox it sounds like some sort of communication problem between Epic and publishers.

Click

Nov 22, 2017
Super sketchy, and their blatant cash grab is disheartening for what felt like an earnest studio. In an age where AAA games start discounting 2 weeks after release, they had an opportunity to make full retail price WHILE delivering a 50% value discount for customers - at no downside to them. It would have converted on-the-fence users into paying customers, including people new to Supergiant games.

The worst part, in my opinion, is that I think this will be a blip outside of resetera and maybe a few game publications. I'm afraid this will pay off for them in the end, and gamers are fickle creatures - COD boycott anyone?

This is a 25% increase in revenue for the next month where they may arguably sell more units than since launch.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah this game absolutely should be sold at more than 5$ tho, that's just a crazy price. It's not illegal to change the price in France when the sale is going on, I remember saving 200€ once on a s8 and the shop owner was hella pissed. He changed the price straight after. If you grabbed it when it was that low however, good for you and enjoy
Changing a price is not the problem. The problem is listing a "was" price that it has not been sold at prior to the sale.

I don't know how correcting a price error is shady. With this and Paradox it sounds like some sort of communication problem between Epic and publishers.

Changing a price is not the problem. The problem is listing a "was" price that it has not been sold at prior to the sale.

Zones

Oct 28, 2017
Next time you think how these poor indie devs always get shafted by the large corps, remember this instance and think of this timeless quote...

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Oct 26, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah this game absolutely should be sold at more than 5$ tho, that's just a crazy price. It's not illegal to change the price in France when the sale is going on, I remember saving 200€ once on a s8 and the shop owner was hella pissed. He changed the price straight after. If you grabbed it when it was that low however, good for you and enjoy

For me, if they would have owned up to it from the start, that's fine, things happen. But multiple re-assuring tweets about the sale price and how they won't raise it.... then they raise it unannounced. Scummy.

Oct 25, 2017
I would agree with that, if not for the tweet I quoted above. They actually had to manually increase the price earlier today so that it would enter the Epic cupom range. They were 100% aware of this, there's no price error.

Xclash

Oct 25, 2017
Fairly certain this considered a manipulative pricing practice in many countries, and as such is illegal. I'm not a lawyer though.

Baffled as to why anyone involved would want to do this.

With this, Paradox/Klei pulling their games, and Ubisoft games not being available to buy during this sale (despite the store pages advertising the discounts), this sale really does seem like it was ill thought out.

I've never seen any company throw around so much money, with such little plan, to generate such negative sentiment. Feels like Epic don't really understand the area they are operating in.

All of this and it's only going to be much worse once there is more than 100 games on the store. For once a well intended but poorly executed from top to bottom on Epic's end.

As for Supergiant, I really hope they reverse their decision at least until the end of the sale. This kind of stuff is why I don't put any developer/publisher on a pedestal. Only make my purchasing decisions on merit.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

It's not just correcting a price error. it's raising the base price of the game mid way during a sale(that they're not even footing the difference for!) despite saying they would give advanced notice if they ever did that HOURS earlier.