• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Each episode is somehow worse than the last. A couple of weeks ago I posted,

"Re the Martian stuff, I find it amusing how it's another "Martian ability" that suddenly comes out of the woodwork."

This episode, "It's this Martian ability which prevents us from harming our brothers!" LOL.

We also had the usual, how can we work Dreamer into this somehow, so she stops a tidal wave hundreds of miles long with some mind ray, huh? I'm not very invested in Crisis either, since I only watch 2 of the 5 shows. I stopped Flash, Arrow and Legends seasons ago.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Although it's only early on in the season, I think it's probably fair to say S4 Supergirl to S5 Supergirl is the biggest overall drop in quality between seasons across the Arrowverse and this episode is a pretty good demonstration of that.

Personal wtf moments:

William Day's British friend has UK flags all over his house so that we know he's from the UK. To ram that home, he's got a dartboard and there's a cricket bat lying around (in the umbrella stand, naturally). The dartboard is also on the wall next to the front door to maximise the chance of a hilarious accident.

The single most distinctive feature of William Day's best friend is his beard. Thriftstore Robocop has an exactly identical beard, and Day - the double Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative journalist - sees him at this distance:

UTI6Cnf.png

His question is "Where's Russell?" when it should have been "Russell what the fuck are you wearing?"

Supergirl crushes a metal railing at the DEO so we know she's serious this time.

The water geyser that releases "3 cubic miles of water per second". That's what this is meant to be:

R5T0JNN.png

Three cubic miles of water, if actually cubed, would fill a cube with sides of 2.3km. I'm choosing to ignore all the other scientific inaccuracies and impossibilities because there's lots of them and because it's not like the show truly cares about getting the physics right, but, for whatever reason, they chose to toss out a specific measurement of a preposterously huge volume of water, and then depict it this way.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
It felt like previous seasons have actual themes they wanted to explore even if only 4 was good at it

Suddenly Flash has a good theme now

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure how you go from last season to this. I guess it really was a fluke.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I know I shouldn't have gotten worked up by it but J'onn referring to Noah's Ark as if it was an actual event that happened as described in the Old Testament was pretty much the point where I mostly checked out.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Lena heel turn is still fun. The VR Lens tech seems like a bad idea. You could be mugged, shot stabbed or run over without realizing unless there's a real-time proximity alert.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I actually thought that was the best episode of the season by a good margin but still overall the season sucks. The theme is clumsy. The villains are nobodies. Martian nonsense is at an all time high although it's great seeing live action Phil Lamarr.

Also at this point I'm rooting for Lena. Lena and Brainiac-5 are so ruthlessly efficient it makes the heroes look pathetic.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
I'm with Eobard too. As much as I dislike what's happening to Lena I do want her to do shit and win. Go Evil Lena.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand Dreamer's powers. I know she used some dream energy last season, but it feels so random lol

Kelly really needs to be written out, she's somehow worse than James. And they need to just let William and Kara date/fuck already so it can hurry up and inevitably implode lol

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I don't understand Dreamer's powers. I know she used some dream energy last season, but it feels so random lol
Neither do the writers...

These last few episodes have been total nonsense. Who is writing these? I've been watching these with my g/f (who's only watching it cause we've been watching Batwoman and she just sticks around to watch Supergirl) and it's making me feel embarrassed, lol. Trying to tell her this is the bottom of the barrel from the Arrowverse. She started watching Flash a few months ago, but never got through the first season.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
I guess Dreamer is able to use dream-like energies as she sees fit? Sort of like how someone can see radiowaves and then learns how to actually manipulate radiowaves. So she's able to manipulate that energy into physical attacks. Basically mental energy waves and blasts.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

Kelly really needs to be written out, she's somehow worse than James. And they need to just let William and Kara date/fuck already so it can hurry up and inevitably implode lol
Dreamer's powers are like Martian powers. Whatever the writers need this week for the story are what the characters can do.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017

Dreamforce.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017

I guess Dreamer is able to use dream-like energies as she sees fit? Sort of like how someone can see radiowaves and then learns how to actually manipulate radiowaves. So she's able to manipulate that energy into physical attacks. Basically mental energy waves and blasts.
Dreamers powers is still dream powers

Brainiac remember gave her gloves that allows her to channel the dream energy to have energy powers

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I liked the small touch of Dreamer and Kelly talking in the women's bathroom, a subtle moment in a show that doesn't usually have them.

but yeah Kelly is bland as fuck

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia

Brainy knows about Dreamer from the future so she had to have more than just passive powers to become a famous superhero. I guess she can convert dream energy (???) into whatever she likes while awake. Maybe if she doesn't get enough sleep her powers weaken.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Lmao

Dreamers powers is still dream powers

Brainiac remember gave her gloves that allows her to channel the dream energy to have energy powers

I don't remember this at all tbh

but yeah Kelly is bland as fuck

Also wtf at Alex's reasoning of wanting to be careful about Kelly's boss just because she doesn't want to turn her world upside down

No way she bows down to Leviathan. She'll at least be a tweener by the end of the season.

I just can't wait to see Kara's reaction lol

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Brainy doing "acting" as tattoo guy
Budget Villain.
Yawn

writers got shifted to Batwoman

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit checked out on this season
As am I. I was humoring returning to this show after ultimately deciding to pass on S4 because I already had too much to watch and the seasons go on for too long, but then this happened in the first episode:
Fucking no one wanted this Leena heel turn. Shit sucks.
Seriously, I couldn't believe that they were still fixated on this idea FIVE SEASONS IN, and finally decided to make it happen. It was more than enough to make me go back to dropping the show, and clearly it was the right choice going by how bad everything else has been too.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
As am I. I was humoring returning to this show after ultimately deciding to pass on S4 because I already had too much to watch and the seasons go on for too long, but then this happened in the first episode:

Seriously, I couldn't believe that they were still fixated on this idea FIVE SEASONS IN, and finally decided to make it happen. It was more than enough to make me go back to dropping the show, and clearly it was the right choice going by how bad everything else has been too.
You made the bad choice passing on season 4 because that was the good season of supergirl and it's why everyone is harsh on season 5

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

As someone else said, you should reconsider for S4. But yeah, the disappointment in S5 seems to be universal here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So for someone who got bored a couple episodes and stopped catching up, how fast is the Lena heel arc progressing? Do we think it'll be over by Crisis or are they gonna try to use it as the focus on the second half of the season?

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
So, uh, as someone that checked out mid-Season 3. I guess I shouldn't even bother trying to get back into Supergirl? lol

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
So, uh, as someone that checked out mid-Season 3. I guess I shouldn't even bother trying to get back into Supergirl? lol
Season 4 is actually good, though IMO they drop the ball super hard with the ending.

Gotta tell you though, it's going to be rough getting through the rest of season 3.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I mean Season 4 is the best by far - it has not one but THREE top tier villains - but now it's back to being terrible.

Season 4 is actually good, though IMO they drop the ball super hard with the ending.

Gotta tell you though, it's going to be rough getting through the rest of season 3.

The more I think about it, the more suffering Season 3 - just to watch Season 4 (Jon Cryer as Lex has always fascinated me) - and then to bail again is probably not a good use of time. lol

It's rare I check out of shows, but holy crap I couldn't handle more of Season 3.

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
It's nice that they spent so much time on human and aliens relations and bigotry last year only to just toss it all completely out the window this year.