• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Just saw this news today, even though it is about a week old.

http://www.fremantlemedia.com/fremantlemedia-goes-wild-in-the-aisles-with-supermarket-sweep/

FremantleMedia is set to bring back the TV phenomenon Supermarket Sweep as it acquires the global format rights to the iconic shopping gameshow.

Vasha Wallace, EVP, Global Acquisitions and Development, said: 'The time is ripe to bring back this all-time favourite gameshow which has travelled with such success over the years. Now, modern technology allows us the opportunity to update the show, making it relevant for a 21st century audience. It is a great addition to this year's MIPCOM slate and given the interest we've had already we're confident that everyone will be as excited for its return as we are.'

Man, I cannot wait to see this. It was an incredible show.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Viva La Cart of Death!

latest

Seriously, I loved that game show growing up.

NotGreatBob

Oct 25, 2017
There was something so aggressively cheap about the original Supermarket Sweep that I always found amusing.

I think it was the sweatshirts.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I watched it every day as a kid with my mom. As I got older I realized that $5,000 is pretty paltry for a game show.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
This was the best game show to watch. You would always wonder what the contestant's strategy was. They would always go right for the turkeys.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Now, modern technology allows us the opportunity to update the show, making it relevant for a 21st century audience."

hey! wha happened?

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
appealing to a whole new generation of kids with student loans, who can't stop with the avocado toast.

Atlantis

Oct 25, 2017
Loved this show, watched it a ton over at my grandparent's house along with whatever show followed it. I recall the stage looked like a giant cutout of the mall.

Will watch and cackle.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
In the reboot they are just going to order everything from Amazon Pantry and wait patiently for it to arrive.

So many reboots on the horizon; Supermarket Sweet, Price is Right (with Alan Carr), Weakest Link, Blind Date, Crystal Maze etc.

UK version is also coming back. Dale is an absolute must.

"getthemoneywheresthemoney?"

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I can still here the sax-heavy theme tune in my head to this day.

I bloody love Supermarket Sweep. And yeah, no Dale = no deal.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the original show is surreal. The brand worship is so gross. Leave it to boomers to know the slogan for Ajax.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I didn't know Leslie Jones was the host. That's too bad. I'm not a fan of her. She's going to be the worst part of the show.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
I really liked her in Ghostbusters and SNL, but a few minutes in... she doesn't seem like she's a good fit for this show.

Need to see a few episodes, though. Drew Carey was pretty bad when he started The Price is Right, but now he seems to have adjusted.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
Very pleasantly surprised by how decent it was, tbh. They rebooted the UK version last year, stretched each episode out to 1 hour, and made it waaay too camp. This US reboot is much closer to the original since each half-hour is basically an episode. The updated question rounds were fun and led to entertaining moments like someone thinking the below logo was for...
Pop Secret
VqNUGp3.jpg

I really liked the new twist on the Super Sweep to make it more high stakes as well.

As for Leslie, I thought she was fine. She definitely seemed nervous the first half hour, but seemed more natural in the second one. I just wish they got David Ruprecht to do the commentary during the actual Super Sweep.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Was cool to see this show revived, I enjoyed it. Leslie Jones was a bit much at first with all her loud yelling, but she dialed things back in the second episode and allowed the focus to be more on the contestants. Which made things much more enjoyable as a result.

The final round shopping segment was way too easy though - they gave away that it was ketchup, soda, tuna right in the freaking clue.