• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope it's a return to form for Supermassive. Until Dawn far exceeded my expectations and many others and is still one of my favourite games of this generation. Since then they've been patchy at best and lacklustre at worst with a bunch of games with bad usability and execution; they very much leaned to the scattershot approach. Their strength is clearly in plot-focused and player choice driven content and it would be nice to see them headed there again. In fact their two Until Dawn 'banner' games (Until Dawn and Rush of Blood) still remain their standouts. There is clearly a lot of talent at that studio and I just wish there was better quality control within the studio.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this's a large project with the entire studio behind it instead of the small projects they have been doing lately.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So at the Gamescom opening ceremony Bandai Namco will announce a new game from a European developer. My guess is this is that game.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I grew up on LucasArts adventure games and 80s horror movies.

UD felt like it was made for me.
Same here. And I can't fucking believe that we still did not get an Until Dawn sequel. Yes, I know there are those VR games (bought them and played them) but I mean a full fledged sequel. Just like Until Dawn 1 but... you know, another part.
Until Dawn is one of my favourite games of this gen and one of the best horror games ever. Jesus Sony, let's go and just greenlight it already.

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry to get sidetracked a bit, but I always keep mixing up Supermassive Games with Supergiant Games. It's really difficult for me to remember lol.

Anyway, on topic: I hope this game does well. I hadn't heard very good things about any of the other games they released, so hopefully this one ends up better

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Same here. And I can't fucking believe that we still did not get an Until Dawn sequel. Yes, I know there are those VR games (bought them and played them) but I mean a full fledged sequel. Just like Until Dawn 1 but... you know, another part.
Until Dawn is one of my favourite games of this gen and one of the best horror games ever. Jesus Sony, let's go and just greenlight it already.

From interviews it sounded like they didn't want to make Until Dawn 2. Rather, they sounded like they wanted their next big game to be multiplat. I wouldn't be surprised if that game is pretty much a spiritual sequel to Until Dawn, just with a different name and multiplat.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I'm surprised at how many people love Until Dawn. I played it and didn't find it to be anything special, I think The Wolf Among Us is probably the standout in the genre.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Supermassive are up there with Dontnod for me.

I'll follow/buy/play anything they put out. Hope this is up to their Until Dawn quality.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
until dawn is the greatest ps4 exclusive by a country mile

cant WAIT to see what these folk do now

giphy.gif

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
Until Dawn is phenomenal, at least the first half of it. It exceeded my expectations. Distinct personalities, great actors, amazing graphics, and a good story that wraps up neatly without any holes (as far as I'm aware). The game also highlighted how Supermassive games outdid the efforts of studios like Telltale games and Quantic Dream with their story focused titles, imo (although I haven't played Detroit yet, for what it's worth).

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They've made a lot of bad games since Until Dawn, hopefully they're back to form with this.

Until Dawn remains of the most memorable and pleasant gaming experience I had this gen.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really interested to see if this is going to be a highly political game as the name and logo implies.

If it is I wonder how those no politics in my games types will react.

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it's more on the vein of Until Dawn. That game is damn good.

What the fuck is wrong with you people questioning someone else's taste?
Why on Earth are you taking what I said so seriously? Did the 'lol' not make it clear enough that the comment was lighthearted in nature? I'm not questioning a thing.

I'll give you the same comment - relax fam lol.

I'd put Bloodborne over it but otherwise he ain't wrong
I disagree with the last part but yeah on Bloodborne.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was super excited to see this thread. I loved Transistor and Pyre. Then I realised how similar some dev team names sound.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Until Dawn is phenomenal, at least the first half of it. It exceeded my expectations. Distinct personalities, great actors, amazing graphics, and a good story that wraps up neatly without any holes (as far as I'm aware). The game also highlighted how Supermassive games outdid the efforts of studios like Telltale games and Quantic Dream with their story focused titles, imo (although I haven't played Detroit yet, for what it's worth).
Detroit massively outdid Until Dawn for me. Mileage may vary of course, but in terms of branching it isnt't really much of an argument. It will be VERY hard for any AAA story based title to match or beat the branching found in Detroit

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
Detroit massively outdid Until Dawn for me. Mileage may vary of course, but in terms of branching it isnt't really much of an argument. It will be VERY hard for any AAA story based title to match or beat the branching found in Detroit

I did purchase Detroit recently, but reading your comment has elevated my curiosity. I'm looking forward to playing it soon.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
From interviews it sounded like they didn't want to make Until Dawn 2. Rather, they sounded like they wanted their next big game to be multiplat. I wouldn't be surprised if that game is pretty much a spiritual sequel to Until Dawn, just with a different name and multiplat.

Kinda feels like they tried the multi-plat waters after UD but had difficulty finding funding for a game with UD level production values. Which wouldn't surprise me given that there aren't many/any 3rd party publishers that I can think of that would be interested in that type of game.

The VR and other stuff they've done since then just feel like scrambling to pay the bills.

Still holding out hope that they've since made an agreement with Sony for another full-fledged game in the style of UD.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm still hoping they do an Until Dawn 2

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
I grew up on LucasArts adventure games and 80s horror movies.

UD felt like it was made for me.

Alright, I respect that and see where you're coming from then.

Only thing outlandish is disagreeing :eyes:

So what you're saying is that you wouldn't mind the Dino Crisis reboot being in the vein of Until Dawn? :thinking:

I wasn't seriously questioning and making fun of Jon bones, I like Until Dawn too and thought it was a fun and unique 'teen horror' experience. I've just never seen anyone say it's the best PS4 game before lol

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a reason why there isn't an Until Dawn 2 or Rush of Blood 2? Both seem very popular, sold well and are great.

Daygon

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Aug 12, 2018
I find this weird, isn't it the publisher's duty to trademark things not the developer?

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Is there a reason why there isn't an Until Dawn 2 or Rush of Blood 2? Both seem very popular, sold well and are great.
Until Dawn had a bit of a troubled production and didn't sell that great. Sleeper hit levels of good, but not outstanding. Detroit is doing much better and we don't know if Sony will even do another game with Quantic Dream either. We will have to see

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
He stated an opinion as if it was unquestionable gospel. Those comments always spark the same discussions, which is stupid: it was clear what he meant, and yet, he could have added a simple "imo" and avoid any subsequent conversation.