• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
The ghosts chasing Sam was one of the silliest looking things on tv I've seen recently.
a ghost running full speed after Sam and absolutely struggling to hold her dress up.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was fine. Guess they're going to deal with Michael at some point (Adam too?), probably the best reveal of the episode. How many episodes until Jack gets revived? I'll say 3 for consistency.

The ghosts chasing Sam was one of the silliest looking things on tv I've seen recently.
a ghost running full speed after Sam and absolutely struggling to hold her dress up.

The ghost fight at the end was really bad lol. I guess they all ran out of MP for teleport or something, those shots of everyone "running" wowwww.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
Really underwhelming, I hope they're just saving budget for the rest of the season.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Liked Weekend at Bernie's Jack but had an "not again" moment at the not saying anything to Dean about the bullet because it'll obviously turn into a plot point they need later in the series.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
So was that vision hinting at Sam still having some sort of demonic connection like in the first five seasons?

I've always wondered if Sam could still activate those demon powers if he ended up drinking demon blood again.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Solid premier. I laughed out loud when Sam casually said he shot god and freaked the kid and her mom.

New Jack is fine but I hope we get the real one back sooner than later.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
That premier was one of the weakest of the series imo. Just not at all the strong premier I was hoping for. I was hoping for something bigger and grander, I mean this is the LAST SEASON. They should be firing on all cylinders, not slowing down for what felt like a very "filler" episode for the show, and the call back to these ghosts was just ugh..they literally looked like "fan made" ghosts. Also when they were running like WTF? You LITERALLY just showed them "warping" around a minute ago, why do they suddenly run (slowly) after them? It was laughable and so damn cheesy.

I really really hope they kick it up soon.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
the ghosts running was dumb, considering they just teleport whenever they want. still a fun ep though. Jack was hilarious.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I tuned in out of curiosity for the final season and that was some awful television. The ghost stuff looked beyond cheesy. I know it's always had the cheese, but something about this was just bottom of the barrel

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
did you watch the first season? This was emulating that.

That's the thing... it wasn't anything like S1 . S1 was gritty, dark - it was emulating classic horror movies with its look and feel. There's a reason why it has such a distinctive visual style compared to the other seasons. For starters, a scene like that in S1 would've taken place at night, and the ghosts most certainly wouldn't have been just running like normal people... that shit was legitimately cringeworthy. That entier sequence would've fit in very well in one of the comedy episodes of SPN.

Honestly, that entire episode bar the last 2 minutes was borderline embarassing. It felt low budget (even by SPN standards), poorly directed and the story was whatever. The last minutes were an awesome throwback to S1E1, but it needed more than that.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
There's a reason why I endured so many shit episodes for so many years and never abandoned Supernatural.
I dropped shows for way less, but there is a reason.
And the reason is that Supernatural never took itself seriously at all, and it legitimately seems the cast is having fun producing this dumb show. I mean yes there are other shows which reached the 300 episode mark, but how many of them feature the same main cast? Many long shows feel bitter and depressing in the last stretch (Dexter, Walking Dead, etc) because you can feel the actors and writers don't give a single fuck anymore and they're in just for the money.
I'm not saying Supernatural is made exclusively out of love, but it looks and feels less cynical than other programmings.
So yes, I'll endure this weak premiere. I still had more fun watching this than the Walking Dead one (which I think was better objectively) because my boys Jared, Jensen and Misha are having one last party. It's fun to watch them, I guess.
And I'm sure the actual ending will be phenomenal. I just feel it in my bones.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
That...that was not a good season opener.

Everything felt almost amateurish, like they were working with a student level budget.

I dread to think about what's next, this is supposed to be the big sendoff, seems CW gave them a tiny budget and told them to make it work.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
There was a scene that I loved though. The:

"How did you do that?"
"I'm an angel"
"And who was that guy?"
"Ghost."
"And you?"
"Just a guy who shot God."

lmao they know what they're doing don't they

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
There was a scene that I loved though. The:

"How did you do that?"
"I'm an angel"
"And who was that guy?"
"Ghost."
"And you?"
"Just a guy who shot God."

lmao they know what they're doing don't they

This whole exchange was fantastic.

I do really like the new spin on Jack at the start of the episode. The actor actually got to do something more natural & he was pretty good. Liked him & Dean chatting it up in the car.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
That...that was not a good season opener.

Everything felt almost amateurish, like they were working with a student level budget.

They pretty much have been for years. I mean season 13 "Apocalypse World" was a fucking black & white filter.

Budget aside, it was a decent premiere. If all episodes are this good that'll be enough for me.

Shame that next week we'll spending even more time with those stupid-looking ghosts. And a couple of terrible writers. Not the most exciting proposition.

May 10, 2018
Looks like I'm not the only one who thought the premiere was weak, damn near wack.

Didn't have the sense of urgency I was expecting after how the season ended last year, the confrontation with the ghost was pretty bad, especially that chase scene. Overall it was a dud.

Only real highlight was demon Jack.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
This premiere reminded me a lot of the S11 premiere when the Darkness was released. It was also a 2-part episode and it felt a little slow. Of course, S11 soon became one of the best seasons.

I wonder if the visions means it killed Sam's soul or something

I don't think it killed his soul though I'm not sure what exactly it did. I think they'll be going back and mirroring elements of the first 5 seasons though. We might be getting actual Demon Sam. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up needing to drink demon blood again for some reason.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
This episode was fucking awful.

Typical for these writers, there were way too many characters so everything was half-baked. Kevin's return was completely unnecessary and added nothing. The ghosts felt incredibly cheap and Jack The Butler Ripper was the most boring and least intimidating spirit I've ever seen in the show. The comedic tone for Chuck/Amara scenes was stupid as hell, and it felt like another useless return.

Also in the end Sam and Dean achieved fuck all and just delayed the resolution of this problem to a later episode.

I fully expected this to be crap so I'm not too fussed. Onto next week.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
This episode was fucking awful.

Typical for these writers, there were way too many characters so everything was half-baked. Kevin's return was completely unnecessary and added nothing. The ghosts felt incredibly cheap and Jack The Butler Ripper was the most boring and least intimidating spirit I've ever seen in the show. The comedic tone for Chuck/Amara scenes was stupid as hell, and it felt like another useless return.

Also in the end Sam and Dean achieved fuck all and just delayed the resolution of this problem to a later episode.

I fully expected this to be crap so I'm not too fussed. Onto next week.
I didn't think it was "fucking awful," but it certainly was much worse than last week. I don't understand this Chuck plot at all. I mean, I guess they set it up with the gunshot last season, but it feels pointless; you're right about that.

I did like seeing some old friends, though. Of course, I love Rowena. But the "being sent to hell is permanent except for god" thing doesn't work, even with the retcon. If that were the case, then why did Billy say she was going to get Dean after he died? He should go back to hell.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly this shits so bad I'm about to drop it because its just ruining my appreciation of the whole series.
Those scenes with God, horrendous

May 10, 2018
The final season has started out with two duds. This quarantine in the suburbs thing is getting old fast and these cheap budget ass ghost ain't cutting it either. It was nice seeing Kevin again but he was useless and ended up being a hostage.

So far the only highlight for me has been demon Jack.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I haven't seen tonight's episode yet, just last week's, but Jack's actor is so incredibly wooden. It was alright for a being that just came into existence, but this new character... it's painful. That whole town evacuation thing was extremely implausible too.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I thought it was funny that the "town" of evacuees being addressed by Sam at the school was about 20 people.

Oct 27, 2017
I HATE THIS SEASON. What they did with Chuck is such garbage. I was holding out hope it wasnt really him in last seasons finale, but nope they are running with it. GOD is just a vindictive piece of shit just like satan. What........? He sent Kevin to hell???? Really??????

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Honestly this shits so bad I'm about to drop it because its just ruining my appreciation of the whole series.
Those scenes with God, horrendous

Only 18 episodes left, we can tough it out.

Besides, expect Chuck's characterization to wary wildly from script to script. That's just how it goes in this show's writer's room. I'm sure next time will see him it'll be much more interesting and not played for funsies.

Oct 25, 2017
Shit. So God is truly a fuckin dick, it's not a trick or anything. Dammit all that amazing character development squandered. Threw Kevin into hell after promising him Heaven. Why? He helped Bobby and John why not Kevin? Ghosts were less silly this time with them remembering they can teleport

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Season premiere I felt was at least solid but this weeks episode was just really awful and cringeworthy. It also didn't really achieve anything at all and I'm tired of this dumb town stuff. There is only these episodes left, how about we DON'T spend it stuck in a dumb town fighting dumb ghosts every single episode?

Also I totally predict that the demon guy that is in Jack's body will totally betray the Winchesters next episode as well. Not going to spoil tag it as I'm purely guessing here. Also I totally expect Rowena
will die next episode after watching the preview for next weeks episode with her interacting with Sam and we know this lines up with Death saying Rowena would die by Sam. Also calling it now, the death of Sam will also kill god.

Anyways not a good start to the show so far. First episode was at least solid enough but this episode was pretty damn awful and pointless and as some of you have already said the Chuck dialogue was awful. Even Amara had enough. ;)

Last edited:

Casker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that was not good. Surprised they brought back Amara and Kevin for this. What are they going to ruin next?

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Also I totally predict that the demon guy that is in Jack's body will totally betray the Winchesters next episode as well.

He's famous enough in hell that a bunch of spirits know him by name and other demons want to have him killed, but Castiel has never heard of the guy (I hate how clueless he is whenever the plot demands it) and the boys have yet to do research on him.

Realistically they should have gotten rid of him when Rowena arrived since she's got enough magic to get the warding going. So yeah, it's so obvious he's going to stab them in the back.

I do like the character though

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
IMO this season should have been done in a kind of "adventure" style format with Dean/Sam going across the country to try and figure out how to stop what's happening. Not stopping in the first town to save a bunch of random nobodies (meanwhile everyone else is dying that isn't there...).

Should have been like a kind of road-trip style race to the finale with Dean/Sam/Cas, and as far as "bringing" back people they should have brought back Crowley (I just want to hear him call Sam Moose again damn it) and Bobby, the real Bobby not the other dimension one, seriously that should would have been like my "dream" final season.

Sam, Dean, Cas, Crowley, and Bobby all loaded up in the Impala going on a road trip to try and stop the end of times. Along the way you could have brought back more fan favorites (Ghost facers) or others but kept it focused on the actual season-story and not a filler/monster of the week mainly like it's been for these first two episodes.

Also need one more "meta" ep, those were almost always a high point for the series.

Lastly, I still hold out hope that there's something behind Chuck being evil, like a twist that ends up not being the real Chuck or something else. I mean I just finished Preacher and it did that whole thing already (and far better imo).

Oct 25, 2017
IMO this season should have been done in a kind of "adventure" style format with Dean/Sam going across the country to try and figure out how to stop what's happening. Not stopping in the first town to save a bunch of random nobodies (meanwhile everyone else is dying that isn't there...).

Should have been like a kind of road-trip style race to the finale with Dean/Sam/Cas, and as far as "bringing" back people they should have brought back Crowley (I just want to hear him call Sam Moose again damn it) and Bobby, the real Bobby not the other dimension one, seriously that should would have been like my "dream" final season.

Sam, Dean, Cas, Crowley, and Bobby all loaded up in the Impala going on a road trip to try and stop the end of times. Along the way you could have brought back more fan favorites (Ghost facers) or others but kept it focused on the actual season-story and not a filler/monster of the week mainly like it's been for these first two episodes.

Also need one more "meta" ep, those were almost always a high point for the series.

Lastly, I still hold out hope that there's something behind Chuck being evil, like a twist that ends up not being the real Chuck or something else. I mean I just finished Preacher and it did that whole thing already (and far better imo).
I so hoped that it wasn't chuck or an evil chuck or that empty posing as chuck. But Kevin Tran not being sent to heaven?(ik that technically happened before the redemption arc but I mean them writing it) Him "smiting" The Darkness' masseuse? And The Darkness not being like "you're not chuck ..." When seeing him all lead me to sadly acknowledge they ruined one of the greatest redemption arcs in the series.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Chuck being Chuck was stupid. It would have been good to hint that this wasn't Chuck.

Wasn't the first episode implying that the effect is limited to that town? There are no other people dying because of these ghosts. All the ghosts are there.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Chuck being Chuck was stupid. It would have been good to hint that this wasn't Chuck.

Wasn't the first episode implying that the effect is limited to that town? There are no other people dying because of these ghosts. All the ghosts are there.

Hmm? Why would it be limited to that town? I thought the whole point was that the gates were open and spirits/demons were free to come up?

I mean that graveyard that it started in wasn't in that town either.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Second episode was better, but that was mostly because of Rowena and Ketch.

I'm already bored of this town and the ghosts, time to move onto something else.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Hmm? Why would it be limited to that town? I thought the whole point was that the gates were open and spirits/demons were free to come up?

That's what I thought at the end of last season, but there was some scene where they turned on the news or something, and everything everywhere else seemed normal. I mean if the whole world is being slaughtered by ghosts, surely the townfolk holed up in the school would find out. They have power. Someone would turn on the news, get on the web, etc.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017

Yes, the graveyard is in that town. It is in the five mile radius where demon jack did that barrier spell. Which is why they had to evacuate.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Yes, the graveyard is in that town. It is in the five mile radius where demon jack did that barrier spell. Which is why they had to evacuate.

So God's big plan at the end of last season was to open a gate in a small town and that's it....?

I thought it was like the entire world demons/spirits were free to come through. Seems really damn weak if it's just in that one tiny town.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
So God's big plan at the end of last season was to open a gate in a small town and that's it....?

I thought it was like the entire world demons/spirits were free to come through. Seems really damn weak if it's just in that one tiny town.
Yes, it looks like a retcon because they couldn't figure out how to stop it otherwise.