• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was a fine episode and enjoyable. We all know Michael will be out of Dean by the end of Episode 3. I'm interested to see what they are going to do with the extended cast. I think it's odd that Michael is making deals with Demons & Monsters. Why not just make new Angel's and assume his role as "God" in heaven.

So Jack will be fully powered when? Mid-Season or End-of-Season? Looks like they have a get-out-of-jail-free card when the big bad comes around.

I'm curious to see what they do with Nick and how the actor differentiates himself from Lucifer.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Aaaaa what was that fight scene. The constant jumpcuts and random bits of slowmo....i usually dont pick on SPN for these kind of things due to the budget, but that didnt even feel like a budget issue.

Im also pretty pissed at how much they have nerfed Castiel into the ground- at this point he seeems less capable than an average hunter.

Pretty slow premiere otherwise, I did enjoy most of it tho.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I thought Cas could see demons. Actually, I'm pretty sure he can.

He's only as powerful as each writer of the week wants him to be. No consistency whatsoever.

Man that fight scene really was something else. Awfully coordinated and directed. Also lol at nobody rushing to Cass to untie him. That should have been the very first thing to do.

We're also now at a point where there are so many characters the "older" supporting ones only get a mention and there isn't enough time to introduce the new ones. They've already expanded over the idea of a supporting cast. This isn't even an ensemble show anymore, that thing is fucking Noah's ark. And you know half of them will get slaughtered eventually because killing is the only way the writers know how to bring drama.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
the amount of snark and despair in OPs post is wholly appropriate. i made my way through last season simply because, christ i dont even know. that final shot of dean in last season was so fucking disturbingly bad on every level.

that image zoom in wasn't added to this gif, it was done in-show. i mean WOT?!

O94niwK.gif

this show has some of the best episodes of any tv series i've ever seen, stuff that had me howling with laughter. quite honestly i cant quit it now, im here to watch the car crash.

one positive from this new seasons first episode, seeing sam be a badass and taking charge. im there for that. moose forever.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Like they're doing a more structured hunting operation, but it needs to come with results. I want some races being wiped out. Like for instance, demons and angels (outside of Cass) to see what the world would be without them.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I thought this season premiere was one of the worst.

That bar fight scene was so hilariously bad, like you have Demons (with powers) who just slowly fist fight some hunters and then after Sam BARELY manages to kill one the other suddenly get "scared" and run away? Then Sam makes a sarcastic remark like he just did something amazing...but he legit barely managed to win the fight and looked terrible doing so.

Then the actual editing and camera work made my eyes bleed, just so many quick cuts, it was like watching a youtube video of people acting out a bad soap opera.

This seems a remarkably sharp drop from last season, which I thought was one of the better seasons from the past few years and had some stand out episodes, like the crossover Scooby episode..

I really hope this was just a fluke episode and they find their footing and we get better quality episodes from this season.

Also that demon guy trying to take Crowley's place made me REALLY wish Mark Sheppard hadn't left the show, he just fit so well and it was great having him mesh again Moose/Dean/Cas with their frenemy vibe that made you care about him.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, very curious. I largely think that he's just saying, "I hope the #spnfamily will follow me to my next show." But why would it be a secret? If Mark were cast in another show, surely that would just be a standard casting announcement.
Unless of course the new show itself is still supposed to be a secret. Still, new project with old friends in Atlanta. Black Lightning and The Walking Dead would be obvious guesses for running shows. But in reality, he is joining Doom Patrol. Shot in Atlanta, run by Jeremy Carver from Supernatural.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
It's great how they decided to turn the best, most charismatic and naturally funny characters into a drab, boring and bland angel character.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
It's great how they decided to turn the best, most charismatic and naturally funny characters into a drab, boring and bland angel character.

At least you know Dean will be back sooner than later (because the writers are cowards).

On the other hand I feel so bad for Misha. They take him for granted and drip-feed him shitty content. He deserves so much better than what they've given him these last couple of years.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Episode 4 could be a classic based on what the monster of the week is. (I put a spoiler tag over the main arc part of the synopsis.)

HALLOWEEN HORROR – Dean (Jensen Ackles) continues to struggle. Meanwhile, Sam (Jared Padalecki) must think fast when action figures come to life, and our heroes find themselves living in a real-life horror movie. Amyn Kaderali directed the episode written by Davy Perez. (#1404). Original Airdate 11/1/2018.

Perez joined in S12 and I think he has been the one of the best writers in the post-Carver era, including one of my favorite episodes in the series (the Pulp Fiction homage that ended with the return of the Colt and Pellegrino as Lucifer).

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Can Castiel be more useless?

The 2 people he stayed to watch over left the bunker without him knowing.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
the amount of snark and despair in OPs post is wholly appropriate. i made my way through last season simply because, christ i dont even know. that final shot of dean in last season was so fucking disturbingly bad on every level.

that image zoom in wasn't added to this gif, it was done in-show. i mean WOT?!

O94niwK.gif

this show has some of the best episodes of any tv series i've ever seen, stuff that had me howling with laughter. quite honestly i cant quit it now, im here to watch the car crash.

one positive from this new seasons first episode, seeing sam be a badass and taking charge. im there for that. moose forever.

To be clear, I'm pretty sure the eye-zoom in is meant to be a direct reference to Thriller. They just decided against adding the laugh playing over it.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
That was a great episode and much better than the premiere. I think legitimately everyone thought that we would have a Sam/Gadreel situation where he is still inside Dean for a number of episodes.

Having Michael legitimately leave Dean of his own free will is very interesting. I'm actually really curious as to what happened. The idea that something bigger and badder made Michael abandon his plans and run away is intriguing as hell.

Also, Pellegrino putting in work. That scene with Cas was amazing. So did Nick murder his own family?

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I feel like SN needs to get more surprising. After 13 seasons and change, it's far too predictable, or at least is running out of ways to create tension. That being said, I'll watch it to the very end.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Also, Pellegrino putting in work. That scene with Cas was amazing. So did Nick murder his own family?
No joke! I've always liked him, but he displayed some real acting chops there.

I'm not sure. I didn't exactly know how to take all that. I'm sure we'll be finding out more soon.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I thought Michael legit just leaving Dean and abandoning his plan was pretty damn surprising.
I don't by that he actually left. They haven't done any kind of test, angel cuffs, angel sigils, hurting him with an angel blade, etc. But holy hell Michael doing experiments on monsters to make them stronger? I wonder what his endgame is. He's not doing it to be nice to monsters, so it makes you wonder what he's planning...

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Meh. That's all I have to say. Cas saying that he knows what Jack is going through as if he is anywhere jear his original strength, then talking about regret over Novak as if he is actually human, Nick going homicidal cause of Lucifer residue, Alt Bobby becoming a mainstay just so they can have a Bobby roaming about, Juiced up Monsters as if Season 6 and the Alphas or Eve never happened, its all just meh. I was good with the show doing an evil before the leviathans, angels falling, death dying or a power struggle for hell, but this is all just so boring. They finally did it to me, after 14 years.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Meh. That's all I have to say. Cas saying that he knows what Jack is going through as if he is anywhere jear his original strength

I'm not sure how that's related. He was referring to when he was human at the beginning of season 9. What does Cas' current strength have to do with him relating to being fully human, which is what Jack is going through?

then talking about regret over Novak as if he is actually human

There are valid complaints to be made about the show but this doesn't make sense. Cas isn't supposed to feel guilt over Jimmy Novak because he's... not human? Jimmy died, his wife died, his daughter entered the hunter life. And Cas has been emotionally more human than angel for years.

Nick going homicidal cause of Lucifer residue

The point of that was that we don't know if that was the reason. It might be that Nick was always a terrible person and murdered his own family. (Though I'm not sure why it would necessarily be a negative thing if Lucifer's possession was having an influence on him either. Let's see how it plays out.)

Alt Bobby becoming a mainstay just so they can have a Bobby roaming about

Sounds good to me. Killing Bobby made for an amazing episode but was a bad decision in the end. His presence adds a lot to the show.

My only problem is that I hope they don't forget about real Bobby in Heaven. We haven't seen him since season 10 when he helped Cas break Metatron out of jail and he got caught by the angels.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Sounds good to me. Killing Bobby made for an amazing episode but was a bad decision in the end. His presence adds a lot to the show.

My only problem is that I hope they don't forget about real Bobby in Heaven. We haven't seen him since season 10 when he helped Cas break Metatron out of jail and he got caught by the angels.

Same. Bobby's "last episode" was probably the saddest thing in the series for me. He's pretty much my favorite character.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Same. Bobby's "last episode" was probably the saddest thing in the series for me. He's pretty much my favorite character.

It's a shame they squandered the potential of his arc after that. Having Bobby return as a ghost because he was too stubborn to let go is exactly what he would have done and having him struggle against becoming a vengeful spirit was a great idea.

But then they made his return far too obvious in the very next episode after his death (Dean's beer being empty along with a "whoosh" sound effect) and the arc sputtered out at the end of the season.

"Missed opportunities" is the theme of season 7 though: Bobby as a vengeful spirit, Dick Roman (a good character with a boring endgame) and Leviathan Cas (giving Misha Collins the chance to act his ass off as the season's Big Bad only to drop him from the main cast in the cold open to the next episode).

tumblr_inline_nziwjlnYpt1sbvr8x_500.gif

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
It's a shame they squandered the potential of his arc after that. Having Bobby return as a ghost because he was too stubborn to let go is exactly what he would have done and having him struggle against becoming a vengeful spirit was a great idea.

But then they made his return far too obvious in the very next episode after his death (Dean's beer being empty along with a "whoosh" sound effect) and the arc sputtered out at the end of the season.

"Missed opportunities" is the theme of season 7 though: Bobby as a vengeful spirit, Dick Roman (a good character with a boring endgame) and Leviathan Cas (giving Misha Collins the chance to act his ass off as the season's Big Bad only to drop him from the main cast in the cold open to the next episode).

tumblr_inline_nziwjlnYpt1sbvr8x_500.gif

Damn. That was half the show ago? time flies.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I'm not sure how that's related. He was referring to when he was human at the beginning of season 9. What does Cas' current strength have to do with him relating to being fully human, which is what Jack is going through?

There are valid complaints to be made about the show but this doesn't make sense. Cas isn't supposed to feel guilt over Jimmy Novak because he's... not human? Jimmy died, his wife died, his daughter entered the hunter life. And Cas has been emotionally more human than angel for years.

The point of that was that we don't know if that was the reason. It might be that Nick was always a terrible person and murdered his own family. (Though I'm not sure why it would necessarily be a negative thing if Lucifer's possession was having an influence on him either. Let's see how it plays out.)

Sure. But bad decision or not, it cheapens things a lot by just slapping into the plot an Alt Universe replacement. I mean the actual use of a multiverse, if you want to revert the change at least use in-universe methods that already exist to revert his death and bring back the original character.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
Supernatural ended in season 5 to me and everything thats happened afterwards is nothing more than fan fiction and not canon.

Some of the episodes were fun but the terrible plotline, the character assassinations and the inconsistency and nonsenical of power levels ruined the show for me.

Oct 25, 2017
That B-plot is like the worst thing in the series I can think of off the top of my head,
That was the worst incompetence I have seen from Cass.

A witch hex'd a girl and its continuing to hurt her after the witch's death...
Lets ignore this large green jewel the witch gave the girl that she is still wearing, oh and the witch's body that has the same thing except glowing bright green.

Literally the instant she was shown wearing it I thought, "Jesus come on Cass, take that off of her"

Last edited:

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
So I finally caught up.

Sam got some plot, along with a beard of pain.
Cas as the damsel in distress is getting old
A demon mentioned Destiel? Eh I'll take it

Jesus Nick you were already a sad as fuck character what are you doing
Micheal is still in Dean. There's a reason he didn't hug Cas. Cas was spitting moonbeams out his eyes, he wanted a damn hug.

Also getting tired of 'contrived reasons to keep Cas away from the main story'
JODIE
KIAI
Claire/Kiai confirmed!

I forgot how to spell her name.

Theory: The spear hurt Micheal enough he fled and hid. Hes hiding in Dean.