• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
165157.jpg

Sorry if this isn't as elaborate or deep as my FFXIII 10th anniversary thread but I still wanted to take a moment to appreciate what Final Fantasy VI did to the RPG history with you, ERA. After all, this is not only my favorite FF of all, it is also my favorite game of all time. Period.

I'm just going to keep it short but here's a list of things that makes this game, the best.

• Ever-changing party members with great personalities This is one of favorite aspects of the game, you don't get a fixed team for the duration of the 30h story. The fact that the last dungeon is tackled with 3 teams blew my mind back when I was kid, this wasn't your conventional JRPG back in the day.​

• Steampunk setting We were so used to the medieval settings and fantasy tropes that we'd hardly imagine a JRPG with machinery, magic and a castle that turns into a fucking underground submarine.​
  • Most characters share some kind of tragic/sad event Look, I'm not trying to be edgy here but I love sad stories and FF6 delivers. Locke's traumatic love story with his dear Rachel, Setzer lost his best friend in an airship accident, the twins coin of "fate" (The same coin Edgar used to trick Setzer, meaning he agreed to let Sabin go before the start of the game)​
  • Kefka Palazzo Kefka, Kefka. Is he the greatest nihilist in FF history? I think so. Sometimes in JRPGs it takes dozens of hours to see the villian true motives. In FF6 the first time you see him , at the start of the game, he brainwashes Terra and orders her to fry dozens of imperial soldiers. Wicked.​
  • Presentation This is pretty simple, I've never been obssesed with graphics in my jrpgs but man does FF6 spritework looks nice. The fact that 4,5 and 6 are on the same console blows my mind.​
17633.jpg
hqdefault.jpg
c8004bb06878b03e5369573edb78a8e0.gif

gW5N3bypqzggEnO_AoEgz6_V6UN9c91j6WVqBzvEOLojwrYter3w9adUXWNW_R3dyR8QBGBNlg9y3G8oEeptL-85yP96kzEGf4Nc6MqfLkM
1c5943be3076ef2f2dccc05c5d684098ec342d9f.png

• Incredible music Music is very important in jrpgs and thankfully FF6 is full of grea tunes that set the tone of the game. 26 years later, and there hasn't been an overworld theme as legendary as this one.​

Other favorite songs

Thank you for this legendary game, Squaresoft!
WdAyvq7.png

What are your favorite moments, songs, or scenes ERA?

GFdoom

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
ohhh what I would give for a next gen remake.
And my fav scene/ moment was when the villain
kefaka
actually went thru and succeded with his plan and that was not even halfway thru the game!

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
The greatest game of all time. The characters, the story, the music.... nothing has ever topped it for me. Locke's theme still gets me hyped to this day, and I can't help but long for simpler times whenever I hear Kids Run Through the City.

Ghost Rider

Oct 27, 2017
Man, this game. It just absolutely blew me away. I had been playing FF since the first and when I got this one I didn't think games could get any better

Oct 25, 2017
Why can we not play this game on modern consoles yet square? Ppl have been biggin this ff up in my face for years I wanna play it lol

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Fun little game. It's the best of the SNES FF's, easily.

Not a ton of depth to the game though- its a pretty simple narrative when you get down to it, and as I get older I can't help but feel that the antagonist is just...kinda bad.

I feel as if RPG's as a genre moved on to more complex narratives and compelling villains shortly afterwards and the lack of a central protagonist while interesting for the time kind of holds the game back. There's a lot of time spent in the World of Ruin "getting the band back together" for people like Gau, Strago, Mog, and Shadow who are honestly just kind of "there" without a compelling reason to be.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
My favorite Final Fantasy VI music track is this theme of hope:

This game motivated me to grind so that I could reach the spectacular end of this tale at all costs. That's very difficult to accomplish.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I'll post all my FFVI art then (i should do some new one i guess soon but 26th bday is kinda random)

tumblr_nkwz8qF8231qdq8qno2_1280.jpg

Dfp_MWVWsAAyirI.jpg

CdNSJbeWwAELeHl.jpg:large

DfqjZAMWAAAaGDw.jpg

D-fA5FjX4AAV77k.jpg

And there is the fresco but i won't spam too much for now lol

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
With VII-R coming up, I'm reminded of how much of the groundwork for VII was established in VI. The harsh break with traditions, going for steampunk aesthetics instead of typical fantasy, dark tone and moody color pallet really set it apart from previous games in the series, allowing them to go even further with things like Midgar in VII. Also, Dancing Mad did the grand orchestration final boss theme first and better than One-Winged Angel.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
before FFVI ("FFIII") i couldn't comprehend that games could be "cinematic" without FMV, live actors, VA ect

by the time i got to the opera house my head was full of wtf

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Greatest Final Fantasy together with FFV. Happy Anniversary!

Alvaro

Feb 13, 2019
Best game ive ever played. This and Vanilla WoW have my best gaming memories for sure.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Pound for pound, VI has the best FF soundtrack, easily. Other games have high highs, but VI is back-to-back bangers.

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't played 9 yet, but 6, as my first FF game via Virtual Console, is still my most favorite in the series.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
My favorite in the series. One can dream but imagine a remake. Train suplex. Bruh!

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wanna share my piece on this game too (bah Ive done a few over the years).
I was a little girl growing up with Celes and Terra, and I loved their stories and these two as major heroines in a game. They were so beautiful and strong, inside and out.

Even now FF6 is one of those games that just soothes me to look at. It's gorgeous sprite work, strong character arcs (and so many to boot!), incredible music, and incredible moments.

We need a better remake than the hack-looking mobile version..the game deserves better.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Favorite game of all time and it will never be topped. It's a shame Square refuses to release a good modern version to this day.

Let me just share this beautiful remix.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
Played some RPGs during the NES era, but it wasn't until this game came along and showed me that there was really something to RPGs. Thanks for getting me hooked to the best genre, Square.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
It's my favorite game of all time. I have such great memories playing it with my childhood best friend. We would switch off playing every few hours so the other would just watch and comment.

Deleted member 61326

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2019
I'll post all my FFVI art then (i should do some new one i guess soon but 26th bday is kinda random)

Dfp_MWVWsAAyirI.jpg

DfqjZAMWAAAaGDw.jpg

D-fA5FjX4AAV77k.jpg

Very nice, I especially like Narche (side note:
How do I remember pretty much everything but this game even though I haven't played it in 20 years?).

Do you have/sell higher resolutions? Prints?

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Top 3 Party Members:
Terra w/ Gold Hairpin
Relm w/ Gold Hairpin
Locke w/ 2 Genji Gloves

Worst 3 Party Members:
Umaro
Strago
Cyan

Deleted member 61326

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2019
What's the best way to play this game now? I never have but I've been meaning to try it for ages.

I'm no purist but I'll argue that the original SNES version via emulation is still the definite version. The GBA version is alright with its new (but small) new content and minor fixes, but ultimately graphics and sounds are two of the game's cornerstone and here SNES is the clear winner. There's a good restoration patch for SNES as well, but eh, an original GOAT rom from 1994 is all you need.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017

That's fucking amazing.
------------------

I've been playing through the final fantasy A World Reborn mod. It's hard as balls so I didn't make it to Figaro Castle, but it's a cool twist on the game.

OG FF6 has to be a top 10 game contender for sure.

Cugel

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 7, 2017
I remember pluggin this in my SNES, not expecting at all the adventure it would take me in. I feel old now.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Dfp_MWVWsAAyirI.jpg

DfqjZAMWAAAaGDw.jpg

D-fA5FjX4AAV77k.jpg

Are you, by chance, selling prints of any of these? Would love to frame and place on my walls. These are awesome!

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
It's a crime VI never got the proper remake it deserve, always losing to the billion of FFIV remakes. VI is one of the GOAT and it's the very first JRPG I played. I remember my dad randomly bought me it on SNES, the manual was amazing it had a page for each characters (Gogo, Umaro and guest characters excluded) with a biography for them and every single of their abilities and what they did. (Like chainsaw, the sword techs, etc. No Rages obviously.) as well as every magic spells, relics and Espers. I regret getting rid of those. ;_;
At the time, I remember not really understanding any of the dialogues because they were in English and...I didn't know English. But persistence and a lot of free time (I wasn't even 10 when I played it) eventually got me through the game. My biggest roadblocks were Vargas (Mt. Kolt's boss) and getting into the Magitek Factory, inside Vector.

For Mt. Kolt you'll be like "How, it's literally a one shot on Vargas with Sabin's Pummel!" yeah...about that my English was so nonexistent that I didn't even understood how blitz worked at the time so how did I beat Vargas? I-I level grinded. >_>
For every level Terra, Locke and Edgar won, Sabin also got a level. I'm not even kidding I was level 32 when I got passed mount kolt the first time. If you remember Vargas apply some timer to Sabin where he dies once it reaches zero second, well Sabin was near death one day and he did his desperation attack "Tiger Break" which did about 2.3k on Vargas and lo and behold I won! As for Vector, I just didn't understand your character needed to jump on a wooden crate to get into the magitek factory, had to have a friend help me (that person knew english better than me at the time)

I remember, randomly wondering what happened on the floating island if you let the timer run out and man you should've seen my face when I realized Shadow stayed with me even in the world of ruins. In the past, I spent an insane amount of hours searching for him in the WoR, not knowing he was technically "dead". I must've searched every pixels of that damn overworld. Same happened with Gogo, one morning I chilled on the triangular island and fought the worm enemy there, he swallowed my entire party and I thought I'd be game over but NOPE, the music suddenly changed and I was in a new dungeon, one I had never seen before and at the end there he was, good ol' Gogo!

Unfortunately, my SNES was very old so the slightest shake of the cartridge while it was in the SNES could reset the game and one day I lost my...150+ hours save file where most characters were level 99. (yay t-rex and brachiosaur island) and a lot of time was spent searching for Shadow and Gogo. I even grinded gils thinking I could buy the model airship at the auction house if I had the money! The battery in the cartridge also died one day and it stopped holding save files. I was pretty sad...

Having replayed the game multiple times since, with an understanding of the dialogues made me appreciate it even more. Thank you for the memories FFVI, hopefully one day I'll be able to replay you in some remake you've been deserving for many, many years now.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
The best final fantasy for me. The music, the characters, the setting, and theme. All top notch. Deserves a remake for sure! It wouldn't be topped by a remake though, let's be honest!

InternHertz

Oct 25, 2017
Brussels, Belgium
The best Final Fantasy in my opinion.
My favorite scene is the Opera, so powerful. It's incredible that they managed to do that in a SNES game.

Hats off to the original team.

Edit: on the topic of a remake...well, strangely, I don't really want one. I don't think it'd be the same even with just voices added to it. The magic they performed with the constraints at the time is unparalleled.