• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
The napkins are in front of you. Which napkin would you take? The one on your left or the one on your right? [The left] is correct. But, in a larger sense of society, that is wrong. Perhaps I could even substitute society with the universe. The correct answer is that "it is determined by the one who takes his or her own napkin first". Yes? If the first one takes the napkin to their right, then there's no choice but for the others to also take the napkin on their right. The same goes for the left. Everyone else will take the napkin to their left, because they have no other option.

This is society… who are the ones who determine the price of land first? There must have been someone determined the value of money, first. The size of the rails on a train track? The magnitude of electricity? Laws and regulation? Who was the first one to determine those things? Did we all do it, because this is a republic? Or was it arbitrary? No! The one who took the napkin first determined all of these things! The rules of this world are determined by the same principle as "right or left?"! In a society like this table, a state of equilibrium, once one makes the first move, everyone must follow! In every era… this world has been operating by this napkin principle. And the one who takes the napkin first must be someone respected by all. It's not that anyone can fulfil this role… those that are despotic or unworthy will be scorned. And those are the losers. In the case of this table… the eldest or the master of the party will take the napkin first… because everyone respects those individuals. For example, if Jesus-Christ were sitting at this table… no matter who you are, even if you are the Pope, you would have no choice but to take your napkin after Jesus-Christ, yes?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This whole business is explained in excruciating detail at the start of 2001 when that one monkey bashes the other one with the stick it just realized is a club.

There are several sticks. He chooses the one on the left.

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
Part 7 is still the best part but this speach always sounded bad. I wonder if its better in Japanese

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Title reminded me of Letterkenny.

"You were sitting at the table with your pals the other day...."

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck Jesus, I'd take my napkin first.

And then I'd take his napkin too, just to show him he ain't shit.

Deleted member 227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
0SMNXAq.png

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Yes? If the first one takes the napkin to their right, then there's no choice but for the others to also take the napkin on their right. napkin to their left, because they have no other option.

This is wrong.
Other people at the table can still take the napkins from their left.
The first guy will maybe have to swap with someone.