• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ronin

Oct 25, 2017
He wants people to like him so bad. Season ain't happening folks. Especially when certain states aren't taking this as seriously as they should. I made my peace weeks ago.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If there was leadership from the federal government to institute a national lockdown as well as supply states with the gear they need to flatten the curve and blunt the impact on an already overwhelmed healthcare system, then maybe... MAYBE I could see various aspects of normal life starting to come back on in September.

But we don't have that. We don't even have all states treating this seriously. No way we're out of this that soon.

California night look good come September, but I doubt any professional sports team is going to want to host a team, staff, and fans from a state not complying with quarantine efforts, just so we can have this all blow up again.

This is what has made this so frustrating. Beyond the need to save as many lives as possible, a strict nationwide lock down for several weeks could get us all back to a somewhat normal existence so much faster, and these incompetent morons are so afraid of pissing off their constituents in an election year that they won't do it.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
If there was leadership from the federal government to institute a national lockdown as well as supply states with the gear they need to flatten the curve and blunt the impact on an already overwhelmed healthcare system, then maybe... MAYBE I could see various aspects of normal life starting to come back on in September.

But we don't have that. We don't even have all states treating this seriously. No way we're out of this that soon.

California night look good come September, but I doubt any professional sports team is going to want to host a team, staff, and fans from a state not complying with quarantine efforts, just so we can have this all blow up again.

Yeah this right here, this is just Trump trying to appease the fans he thinks will not vote for him because he took their eggball away and trying to give the greedy ass owners an excuse to attempt to scrounge for money. It's like the 180 he did on vaping because someone told him the mouth breathers would vote against him if he banned vaping.

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What if sporting events and movie theaters and sit-down restaurants and concerts just all stop existing forever

My mind can't really accept the idea of any of them coming back, much less me going to any of them, way too dangerous.

How can you possibly say that you're never going to go to a restaurant again?

This situation is bad, many will die, but it is not apocalyptic. Your suggestion that these human institutions will be gone forever is ludicrous.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
This is what has made this so frustrating. Beyond the need to save as many lives as possible, a strict nationwide lock down for several weeks could get us all back to a somewhat normal existence so much faster, and these incompetent morons are so afraid of pissing off their constituents in an election year that they won't do it.

I would be genuinely surprised if real polling data suggested that a broad majority of the state's population didn't support some form of shelter-in-place order. I think what we are seeing instead are cowardly governors bending over backwards to pay tribute to Trump and by extension the most hardcore of his ignorant base.

There was an Orioles game in an empty stadium a few years back during the Baltimore protests. It's worth looking up footage of.

The difference here being that players and staff of these teams from two different states and major metropolitan areas didn't have to worry about spreading or being infected with "protester virus".

ryseing

Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
The difference here being that players and staff of these teams from two different states and major metropolitan areas didn't have to worry about spreading or being infected with "protester virus".

Jesus, I'm not recommending games be played. The poster I was replying to was wondering what the experience would be like if they did do games in empty stadiums. I was just giving a recent example because it was an interesting historical curio.

Sports should be cancelled for the next twelve months. You don't need to tell me to take this seriously.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Jesus, I'm not recommending games be played. The poster I was replying to was wondering what the experience would be like if they did do games in empty stadiums. I was just giving a recent example because it was an interesting historical curio.

Sports should be cancelled for the next twelve months. You don't need to tell me to take this seriously.

Yo I'm sorry if it seemed like I was coming at you personally. Absolutely not my intention. Just thinking through the major difference between a fan-less game during a time of social and civil unrest, where you could isolate yourself and others away from the threat, and a viral contagion that you can't.

Again, apologies if my tone was off!

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i wouldn't underestimate the NFL's sway over the american collective.

i'm bearish on the chances but could very well be business as usual

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It might happen, but with empty stadiums or only half the seats will be allowed to be sold or something like that.

ryseing

Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Yo I'm sorry if it seemed like I was coming at you personally. Absolutely not my intention. Just thinking through the major difference between a fan-less game during a time of social and civil unrest, where you could isolate yourself and others away from the threat, and a viral contagion that you can't.

Again, apologies if my tone was off!

'Sall good. Just didn't want you to think I was a COVID-denying moron.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Besides no state with lock downs is going to allow them to operate. Do they plan on playing in an empty park in Nebraska or the thunderdome or something? States aren't going to risk a flareup like China did after opening up a bit especially since state governors have had to go at this alone because of a failed federal government.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
It might happen, but with empty stadiums or only half the seats will be allowed to be sold or something like that.

Asymptomatic transmission complicates the logistics of even getting a game played with zero fans.

• All players & staff making the trip will need to be tested and cleared. So will support staff like drivers/pilots.

• Traveling on a bus? Where do you stop for gas? Have those people been tested and cleared? Probably not. Same goes for hotel or motel staff where they stay.

• Broadcasting? All crew will need to be tested. Etc, etc..
If you don't lock it down end-to-end you risk infection and spread to all involved as well as the communities that they return back to.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
How can you possibly say that you're never going to go to a restaurant again?

This situation is bad, many will die, but it is not apocalyptic. Your suggestion that these human institutions will be gone forever is ludicrous.
I know we're only a few weeks into this, but the outside world and the stuff I used to enjoy doing there have already become unreal to me.

Just the knowledge that we're going to have an outbreak every few months for years until a vaccine is developed is enough to keep me holed up essentially forever.

Eventually I'll have to stop working from home and go to the office, but that'll just add ~8.5 hours of abject terror every day. I still won't go anywhere but work.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I mean, for the sake of not losing anymore lives, I hope we will have found and mass produced a treatment/cure by September.

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I know we're only a few weeks into this, but the outside world and the stuff I used to enjoy doing there have already become unreal to me.

Just the knowledge that we're going to have an outbreak every few months for years until a vaccine is developed is enough to keep me holed up essentially forever.

Eventually I'll have to stop working from home and go to the office, but that'll just add ~8.5 hours of abject terror every day. I still won't go anywhere but work.

Vaccines should not be years away. Effective antiviral drugs already on the market will be found and new antivirals that are even more effective will be developed.

The combination of more effective treatment and a vaccine will allow us to return to normal life. This isn't several years away, but a couple at most.

There will be a day when either we know how to treat this disease or when there are no more new cases and no more new deaths. Then, you can go outside and be at peace. Be assured, that day will come.

StephDiesel

Feb 2, 2018
If there was leadership from the federal government to institute a national lockdown as well as supply states with the gear they need to flatten the curve and blunt the impact on an already overwhelmed healthcare system, then maybe... MAYBE I could see various aspects of normal life starting to come back online in September.

California might look good come September, but I doubt any professional sports team is going to want to host a team, staff, and fans from a state not complying with quarantine efforts, just so we can have this all blow up again.
But isn't it exactly the opposite? By flattening the curve we're dragging out how long this takes the virus to run its course through the population... which is exactly the point.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I can see empty stadium games, but that's about it. No chance in hell we have stadiums packed with fans by then.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I could potentially see the NFL starting on time, but MLB is going to be the real case. If they get started up by the end of June or July, then I'll believe it.

Then again, this is Trump talking out of his ass and really should be the least of our worries.

Oct 30, 2017
Nah.

If this viral infection follows a wave-like pattern like the seasonal flu which projections are estimating, so the moment September hits, and we still don't have a vaccine, if even a single-player gets it, it all gets shut down again.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Empty arena matches. Even then, you gotta test players.

Neutral games are the only solution but even then, you gotta clean everything before and after each game.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Very, very few people around here (my area) are going to set foot in a stadium or arena if it opens before they are vaccinated.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
That would be in September. I wouldn't be shocked to see it start on time or a bit late. Alot can change between now and then. God knows the country could use the distraction.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ask Trump how NFL can use stadiums that are being used as coronavirus screening sites:

www.nbcwashington.com

Coronavirus Testing Opens at FedEx Field

A coronavirus testing site opened at FedEx Field in Landover, Maryland, on Monday. Prince George’s County Executive Angela Alsobrooks announced Sunday the COVID-19 screening site would open at 10 a.m. The Maryland National Guard has helped the Prince George’s County Department of Health set up...

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How, or why?

Athletes can't even train right now, and who knows when they'll be able to. Even if you don't give a shit about the increased injury rates, the quality of play will be worse.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt the NFL can play with 10 or less people, here in Maryland, sporting events are not allowed if it has more than 10 people:

Governor Larry Hogan - Official Website for the Governor of Maryland

OFFICE OF GOVERNOR LARRY HOGAN

Gatherings.

Gatherings of more than 10 people, including social, community, spiritual, religious, recreational, leisure, and sporting gatherings, at all locations and venues are to be cancelled or postponed.

Read the executive order.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Distraction and athletes need work too? I assume the same is happening for every form of entertainment that's been impacted by this epidemic.
I mean, entertainers in general do need to work but their jobs specifically during this time are dangerous. You can't film a show, you can't get a band in a studio or stage, you can't rehearse a play, and you can't gather in a pile tackling a running back. Hell, unless these guys plan to use the locker rooms 2 at a time, they'd only be endangering themselves. It's fucking annoying that Trump and his goons don't think about simple shit like this. Hell, I'm not sure why NFL heads aren't furious at Trump specifically for downplaying this shit and exacerbating the very problem they're dealing with. But I guess they wouldn't be the selfish, un-empathetic pricks they are and we wouldn't be in this situation if they did think ahead and about other people.

Elrid

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe Trump knows something? I mean give the guy a chance...

I am truly sorry I ever posted that. I am as frustrated as everyone else and he is beyond redemption. It was in jest. Lesson learned.

Last edited:

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
I mean you'd be stupid if you're the NFL not to continue on as though the season will happen, so the entire headline is asinine. Planning on having the season and it being cancelled due to the pandemic is a hell of a lot more sensible than scrambling in August because you thought it was going to be cancelled. Personally I don't think any sports will happen with crowds this year but I'm hopeful.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
We won't have a vaccine that soon breh.
A vaccine isn't needed to re-open the country. A proven treatment or treatments are what will allow the country to re-open. A vaccine is likely a year or more away for public use. The goal here in Canada, and I assume in the US, is to instill strict measures now to buy medical professionals time to test and approve treatments, stockpile ICU essentials, and allow pharmaceutical companies to manufacture, distribute and stockpile the medicines required for the treatments. If a treatment allows an infected person to go home, rest and recover, reducing the serious cases from say 20% to 1-2%, the country will open.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda think that they'll soon stop caring about trying to stop it, open up everything and if you get sick .. you get sick.

People are rather selfish and people don't care about the old or those that will get it bad.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Vaccines should not be years away. Effective antiviral drugs already on the market will be found and new antivirals that are even more effective will be developed.

The combination of more effective treatment and a vaccine will allow us to return to normal life. This isn't several years away, but a couple at most.

There will be a day when either we know how to treat this disease or when there are no more new cases and no more new deaths. Then, you can go outside and be at peace. Be assured, that day will come.

A vaccine isn't needed to re-open the country. A proven treatment or treatments are what will allow the country to re-open. A vaccine is likely a year or more away for public use. The goal here in Canada, and I assume in the US, is to instill strict measures now to buy medical professionals time to test and approve treatments, stockpile ICU essentials, and allow pharmaceutical companies to manufacture, distribute and stockpile the medicines required for the treatments. If a treatment allows an infected person to go home, rest and recover, reducing the serious cases from say 20% to 1-2%, the country will open.

I agree with both of you, just want to point out that the Bruce Campbell avatars seem to be the voices of clearheaded reason.

source.gif

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda think that they'll soon stop caring about trying to stop it, open up everything and if you get sick .. you get sick.

People are rather selfish and people don't care about the old or those that will get it bad.
He/they will certainly try, and if it was less serious I could see them actually trying. But cause things are so bad(and will get worse since Trump is making things worst), there is no way things will ever be opened any time soon.

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
Ironically I can see the one thing that might get some of his base to turn on him is if we don't have fall sports but other countries handle it well enough to do so.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe Trump knows something? I mean give the guy a chance...
I'm not sure what he could possibly know that would be worth telling the NFL before the entire nation. If it was something like "The pandemic will end by season start", that would be information to bring to the citizens as a whole and not something I could see being confidential. He's just lying to curry favor and support like always.