1. BossAttack

BossAttack

2. Nacho

Nacho

SC seats are life appointments. Trump has appointed relatively young judges. It cements conservative control for at least a generation if he lowers the more liberal judge count. Whereas if Ginsberg is replaced by another liberal judge, the swing isn't quite as cemented as it will be.

3. Betty

Betty

I can see her just about managing that but really doubt she'll make it through his second without retiring or something.

4. StereoVSN

StereoVSN

Yes, but she is 85, it’s hard enough to recover and it’s a very big possibility she will not sit on there for 2 more years.

5. Doomguy Fieri

Doomguy Fieri

Wish she'd taken her legacy a bit more seriously and retired when she could have been replaced by a sane person, but hey, The Notorious RBG does what she wants know what I'm saying.

6. Drey1082

Drey1082

She definitely made a very big assumption with the last election. I'm sure she knows that in hindsight she made a terrible mistake.

7. davepoobond

davepoobond

Omg

8. thepotatoman

thepotatoman

A 6-3 court is extremely different because it makes Roberts no longer the median justice, and the gap between Roberts and the other conservatives are huge. Like, that’s the difference between Obamacare surviving and not.

9. effingvic

effingvic

This is probably worse news than the Sessions firing yesterday.

10. emag

emag

The liberal v conservative make up of the court is important, of course, but RGB has had an amazing life story and written some truly excellent opinions.

As much as a hero can exist in our world, Ruth Bader Ginsberg is one.

11. ahoyhoy

ahoyhoy

The time to retire was 2014 when she was 81. Did she assume the American people would elect a Democrat in 2016 before the 2014 midterms had even taken place?

She probably wasn't thinking about her legacy and was just thinking about how everyone loved here now.

12. Dodongo

Dodongo

Would legit give her ten years of my life

13. thepotatoman

thepotatoman

And then she chose to stay when Obama could have replaced her.

14. Denamitea

Denamitea

Dang, hope she has a smooth recovery. This is a scary time to lose another judge

15. Maolfunction

Maolfunction

It's always depressing remembering that the fate of the country relies on seniors not succumbing to old age. That being said, she can have my body if it means keeping her alive.

16. NinjaDBL

NinjaDBL

Hang in their Ruth!

17. emag

emag

You either retire a hero or serve long enough to see yourself become a villain, eh?

18. BLEEN

BLEEN
    Banned Member

She looks really really good for her age. What a fuckin' troopa.

19. Pet

Pet

Seriously right?

She has done so many amazing things in her life. Sure. criticize her for her hindsight not being 20/20, but my god some of y'all have the shortest memories in the world. RBG is AMAZING and we should all be hoping/praying/sacrificing right now that she recovers quickly.

20. LifeLine

LifeLine

2 years is a long time...

21. Calamari41

Calamari41

I mean, it couldn't be more obvious that the idea was to retire during the first half of Clinton's term and have a whole "passing the torch" feminist celebration around it. There's a reason we have all of these Ginsburg books (including kids books), movies, documentaries, etc all releasing over the last couple of years. It was all supposed to coincide with a celebration of her tenure on the bench and her retirement.

22. that's super depressing if true.

23. KingK

KingK

People, Democrats had the Senate majority until January 2015. I see a lot of people in here assuming we lost that in 2010.

She had plenty of time to retire while Obama had the power to replace her.

24. ahoyhoy

ahoyhoy

She risked the long term longevity of everything she accomplished by not retiring at the appropriate time, and also potentially doomed a future generation should the court turn more conservative in the next few years.

Can't blame her 100% though. Most of the blame falls on the dumb American electorate for their voting habits.

25. NewDonkStrong

NewDonkStrong

• User Banned (One week): Inflammatory and trolling, prior incidents
    Any supreme court justice that dies or retires during Trump's reign will burn in hell, even RBG. Sorry, RBG, but you should have retired years ago.

26. ibyea

ibyea

This is going to give me a heart attack

27. GameChanger

GameChanger

Posts like these are not tolerable.

28. Pein

Pein

Troll.

29. beelulzebub

beelulzebub

Merrick Garland wasn’t THAT long ago. Who’s to say that Obama would’ve been able to replace her if she retired?

EDIT: I can’t insert that quote in my post due to mobile posting making it hard to copy and paste, but someone above noted we would’ve had a senate majority up until 2015. My bad.

30. Amiablepercy

Amiablepercy

You sound like a troubled person.

31. NewDonkStrong

NewDonkStrong

America will be Trumpland for generations. I respect her accomplishments, I don't respect her vanity and greed.

32. Two more years.

Just make it two more years for the love of god.

33. GameChanger

GameChanger

She cannot chose when she dies. And she shouldn't be forced to retire early out of fear of a republican presidency. And she is an elderly women who just broke 3 fucking ribs. Wish her well. Don't say she is going to hell. That's gross. I hope she recovers soon.

34. RedMercury

RedMercury

How is RBG not sane?

35. BLEEN

BLEEN
    Banned Member

lol you're reading that wrong. They're saying 'sane' as in a Dem.

36. Aeriscloud

Aeriscloud

You seem sane.

37. Exactly. Thomas, Alito, Gorsuch, and Kavanaugh are all right-wing hardliners.

38. cognizant

cognizant

[​IMG]

39. Hang in there RBG, we need you

40. GameChanger

GameChanger

It was a poorly worded sentence. The poster is basically saying that the person replacing RBG will not be sane.

41. NewDonkStrong

NewDonkStrong

People in their 80s probably shouldn't be allowed to drive because they can fucking die from a swift breeze. My dad's almost 80 and he doesn't leave the house out of fear for falling and dying. I have nieces and nephews that have to grow up in this shit ass world.

42. Cybit

Cybit

At least we know she is a badass w/r/t broken ribs in recent memory

43. Strike

Strike

She needs to be kept in bubble wrap for the next few years.

44. rjinaz

rjinaz

Whew just imagine if this was a thing. I would guess she's rack up about a million years before the end of the day.

45. Cybit

Cybit

Some of the SC justices would be effectively immortal.

46. rjinaz

rjinaz

Oh shit, it works both ways. There is not enough beer for Kavanuagh for that.

47. NewDonkStrong

NewDonkStrong

But also, saying someone is going to hell doesn't matter, because we have undeniable proof that God doesn't exist.

48. Daphne

Daphne

That headline scared the crap out of me.

RBG's punishment for not retiring during Obama's first term is that now, no matter how hard it is, no matter what, she must continue on to January 2021. She has no choice because the alternative is unbearable and unthinkable.

49. Just_a_Mouse

Just_a_Mouse

Ughhhhh. If she steps down while Trump is in power then fuck everything.

50. Jpop

Jpop

Trying to be subtle I see.......