• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Tried the demo of Dragonquest 11S and that game has surround sound.

Astral chain on the other hand does not output in 5.1

Added both of them to the list.
A game like Astral Chain not supporting surround sound in 2019 is just bizzare to me. Playing MGR and Nier recently and they sound so great. It's not the end of the world but still pretty disappointing.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
A game like Astral Chain not supporting surround sound in 2019 is just bizzare to me. Playing MGR and Nier recently and they sound so great. It's not the end of the world but still pretty disappointing.
Yeah, I guess just another game where I use the "all channel stereo" mode.

OP
OP

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
So is lack of support a hardware issue (i.e. CPU too weak, lack of storage space, etc...) or are these developers operating under the assumption no one uses Switch docked?
Yea i dont know, iirc the switch has a seperate audio chip, hence why it only supports lpcm(no deconding/encoding required). But even games like dq11, wolvenstein and mario odyssey all have surround sound.

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
Yea i dont know, iirc the switch has a seperate audio chip, hence why it only supports lpcm(no deconding/encoding required). But even games like dq11, wolvenstein and mario odyssey all have surround sound.
It's especially annoying when Nintendo published games don't support it, because the ones that do usually use it really well.

OP
OP

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Updated the list to include link's awakening. The game supports 5.1 audio (witch suprices me tbh)

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just found out this thread. I didn't know I couldn't use my switch like my other system ( switch => tv => avr) for 5.1 to Work. Will try connecting on the avr straight

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well I give up surround on switch.
I have a sound bar + 2 surround speaker wireless. All work with arc (Xbox Apple TV PS4 tv box ) but switch need to be in my avr hdmi in. I use my harmony elite for everything and it's impossible to go back to arc when manually switching to hdmi in beside turn off / on the tv. Not worth surround on switch (I mean I can use it but without the rear). Good enough for Nintendo games. why didn't they made possible Dolby and dts.

OP
OP

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
I have a sound bar + 2 surround speaker wireless. All work with arc (Xbox Apple TV PS4 tv box ) but switch need to be in my avr hdmi in. I use my harmony elite for everything and it's impossible to go back to arc when manually switching to hdmi in beside turn off / on the tv. Not worth surround on switch (I mean I can use it but without the rear). Good enough for Nintendo games. why didn't they made possible Dolby and dts.
licency fees and cart size most likely but its not like you are getting a real 5.1 experience with 3 speakers ether way so it shouldnt make much difference i think

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
Should point out that Switch outputs 5.1 LPCM at all times. If a game doesn't use the rear channels at all, it is doing so by outputting blank audio channels to the rear speakers. This means that you cannot create matrix 5.1 (using DPL2/DPL2x) using your AV Receiver, because it thinks that its receiving true 5.1 LPCM (unless you manually set your Switch to stereo sound - but who wants to do that each and every time!?)

What about modern upmixers such as Dolby Surround (aka "DSU") or DTS: Neural X? Or are those for multichannel sources only, to be upmixed specifically in an Atmos or a DTS:X setup (i.e., my 5.1.2 setup)?

Several GameCube games had Dolby Pro Logic II support (Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime, Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, etc.) so, at least for that system, Nintendo had some kind of working relationship with Dolby.

Star Wars Rogue Squadron is another. It even has a test with a ship flying around in a virtualized 3D space where you can properly test your setup. It's neat to see and hear on a modern setup.

Also, Gears 5 Atmos mix is sublime.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
licency fees and cart size most likely but its not like you are getting a real 5.1 experience with 3 speakers ether way so it shouldnt make much difference i think
M'y sound bar is really good to give front center Right and left. But still I'll deal with sound bar « so called » surround for switch and I'll have my rear speaker also for other systems

Oct 27, 2017
Im looking to get the 5.1 vizio surround sound bar (with subwoofer and two extra speakers) soon, I've never had surround in all my gaming. Do most games tend to have it in some way? The switch doesn't look that big but I may be wrong about that. I have a switch and PS4 that will be using it

GTVision

Oct 28, 2017
I'm honestly shocked that there are (big) home console games that don't have a surround sound option. As a sucker for great (surround) audio, that would be a reason to skip some of these games. It's one of the reasons I still didn't buy the Final Fantasy X remaster for PS3/PS4.

OP
OP

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Im looking to get the 5.1 vizio surround sound bar (with subwoofer and two extra speakers) soon, I've never had surround in all my gaming. Do most games tend to have it in some way? The switch doesn't look that big but I may be wrong about that. I have a switch and PS4 that will be using it
Switch games generally support surround sound in a good way. Remember to look at devices with HDMI IN ports, the best sound is LPCM and both ps4 and switch support that, and due to bandwith issues it can only be carried over trough HDMI.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

Why not funnel everything through the sound bar instead?

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why not funnel everything through the sound bar instead?
Only one hdmi in in the soundbar. I would need another hdmi switch. My setup is complicated enough. And switch surround isn't such a big deal as long as other system works. I'm just baffled it doesn't work as easy as other systems

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Only one hdmi in in the soundbar. I would need another hdmi switch. My setup is complicated enough. And switch surround isn't such a big deal as long as other system works. I'm just baffled it doesn't work as easy as other systems

My setup is super complicated; more so than most people, so I get it, but I will still always advocate doing what you can to hook everything up to a receiver or soundbar whenever possible. Yes, you would need an HDMI switch to do so, but I'm a bit curious how you're already utilizing a switch to begin with.

Nintendo simply has opted to not pay for the license for Dolby and opted for a standard lossless and superior output over a normal lossy bitstream. They've done this for awhile now even before the Switch. The thing is your other systems also support lossless audio so you handicap them by not utilizing their lossless audio ability; the same one that the Switch is offering. Assuming your soundbar handles LPCM to begin with, using an HDMI switch to funnel everything through your soundbar will not only get you surround sound on the Switch, but you'll get better sound from your other devices too. There's a good reason beyond the Switch to do this.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My setup is super complicated; more so than most people, so I get it, but I will still always advocate doing what you can to hook everything up to a receiver or soundbar whenever possible. Yes, you would need an HDMI switch to do so, but I'm a bit curious how you're already utilizing a switch to begin with.

Nintendo simply has opted to not pay for the license for Dolby and opted for a standard lossless and superior output over a normal lossy bitstream. They've done this for awhile now even before the Switch. The thing is your other systems also support lossless audio so you handicap them by not utilizing their lossless audio ability; the same one that the Switch is offering. Assuming your soundbar handles LPCM to begin with, using an HDMI switch to funnel everything through your soundbar will not only get you surround sound on the Switch, but you'll get better sound from your other devices too. There's a good reason beyond the Switch to do this.
I have 3 hdmi
My first one has a switch hdr 4k60 for Xbox x / PS4 pro / Apple tv
M'y 2nd one has the sound bar (arc) which also has my tv box straight on it
My 3rd one has the Nintendo switch

Oct 29, 2017
What about modern upmixers such as Dolby Surround (aka "DSU") or DTS: Neural X? Or are those for multichannel sources only, to be upmixed specifically in an Atmos or a DTS:X setup (i.e., my 5.1.2 setup)?Also, Gears 5 Atmos mix is sublime.

Those are only going to work if your AV Receiver ends up receiving a 2.1 audio signal... Unfortunately, Switch games that don't support 5.1 surround are actually technically outputting a 5.1 signal (just with the back channels blanked out with blank audio); so the reciever can't upmix it, because it thinks it's getting a 5.1 signal.

Only way to upmix games like Xenoblade 2 is to manually set your Switch to Stereo whenever you play that game.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Hellblade supported 5.1 on ps4 so i would assume its 5.1 on switch.

Or is it stereo on switch?
I bought it on Switch and no 5.1. I was pretty disappointed given how big of a deal the sound design is for that game.
Mega lttp here, but Hellblade uses binaural audio, hence the stereo output. I don't know the details, but I think this basically simulates surround sound. That's why they recommend playing it with headphones.

It's probably worth actually having its own category in the OP, tbh.

OP
OP

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Mega lttp here, but Hellblade uses binaural audio, hence the stereo output. I don't know the details, but I think this basically simulates surround sound. That's why they recommend playing it with headphones.

It's probably worth actually having its own category in the OP, tbh.
but it supports surround sound on ps4, i know that bc i played it on ps4. And was really suprices to hear hellblade on switch outputs in stereo

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
but it supports surround sound on ps4, i know that bc i played it on ps4. And was really suprices to hear hellblade on switch outputs in stereo
Weird. As I say, I don't know the details, but I was given to understand that it used binaural audio everywhere.

I wonder what the deal is there.

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
Only way to upmix games like Xenoblade 2 is to manually set your Switch to Stereo whenever you play that game.

Interesting. So if I manually toggle the setting, then I may indeed get upmixed/simulated surround sound? Of course, upmixing can be hit or miss in my experience, but it's worth a try. Just looking for confirmation that that's what you meant. Would be an interesting piece of knowledge.

Oct 29, 2017
Fire Emblem: Three Houses supports surround.

All first party Nintendo games do, except for Monolith Soft's games and their 2D sidescrollers (where they obviously felt that having music from the back speakers made no sense). The same was true on Wii U BTW. Nintendo EPD games are typified by very good surround sound mixing and have been ever since the GCN era; they actually do care about having good surround sound, despite the common perception.

Likewise, Capcom games also have excellent surround sound mixing and the same is true of most of their games on Switch. Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate is a particular delight for your AV Reciever in that regard!

Interesting. So if I manually toggle the setting, then I may indeed get upmixed/simulated surround sound? Of course, upmixing can be hit or miss in my experience, but it's worth a try. Just looking for confirmation that that's what you meant. Would be an interesting piece of knowledge.

That is exactly what I meant. It's the only way you can perform 5.1 matrix upmixing on those games on Switch.

OP
OP

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Fire Emblem: Three Houses supports surround.
Thanks, Added that to the list. If anyone owns a game thats not on the list feel free to tell me if it support surround sound or not.

All first party Nintendo games do, except for Monolith Soft's games and their 2D sidescrollers (where they obviously felt that having music from the back speakers made no sense). The same was true on Wii U BTW. Nintendo EPD games are typified by very good surround sound mixing and have been ever since the GCN era; they actually do care about having good surround sound, despite the common perception.

Likewise, Capcom games also have excellent surround sound mixing and the same is true of most of their games on Switch. Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate is a particular delight for your AV Reciever in that regard!

That is exactly what I meant. It's the only way you can perform 5.1 matrix upmixing on those games on Switch.
Well to be honest i didnt expect a 2.5d kirby game to have surround sound but it sure did, at least in the overworld/level select world. And i also didnt expect links awakening to have surround sound but both sure did.

Hopefully monoliths next switch game will have surround sound. Sure pseudo surround/dolby pro logic 2 with settings turned to stereo sound great, but the real deal is always better.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I have 3 hdmi
My first one has a switch hdr 4k60 for Xbox x / PS4 pro / Apple tv
M'y 2nd one has the sound bar (arc) which also has my tv box straight on it
My 3rd one has the Nintendo switch
From what I understand, output from Switch must go:
Switch ->>> HDMI In from Soundbar/HDMI Passthrough from Soundbar ->>>> TV

Soundbar must also support LPCM 5.1 in order for surround to work. Though I wonder how game with Dolby Digital (i.e. The Witcher 3) function.

OP
OP

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
From what I understand, output from Switch must go:
Switch ->>> HDMI In from Soundbar/HDMI Passthrough from Soundbar ->>>> TV

Soundbar must also support LPCM 5.1 in order for surround to work. Though I wonder how game with Dolby Digital (i.e. The Witcher 3) function.
Switch doesnt support dolby digital, so eather they ripped the LPCM track from ps4 and adjusted it slightly. Or the audio is a hackjob and it only supports stereo.

OP
OP

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Added Pokemon Sword and Shield + Ni no kuni to the list. If anyone has a game that support or doesnt support LPCM 5.1 surround sound and is not yet on the list, feel free to post and i will add them.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Any idea if Xenoblade Chronicles DE supports surround?
It does, but rather poorly. All cutscenes are in stereo, as well as the music. The only time I really noticed the rear surround sound was when battle chatter was occurring, but ambient sounds are basically non-existent.

I - again after Octopath and Astral Chain - resorted to putting the console into stereo and outputting Dolby Surround via receiver. That legit sounds better than their "true" 5.1 solution.

Meanwhile, Animal Crossing, a game that has no business of having such good sound, is one of the best mixes Nintendo has done in recent years. Seriously, they need to get their shit together when it comes to audio.

OP
OP

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
It does, but rather poorly. All cutscenes are in stereo, as well as the music. The only time I really noticed the rear surround sound was when battle chatter was occurring, but ambient sounds are basically non-existent.

I - again after Octopath and Astral Chain - resorted to putting the console into stereo and outputting Dolby Surround via receiver. That legit sounds better than their "true" 5.1 solution.

Meanwhile, Animal Crossing, a game that has no business of having such good sound, is one of the best mixes Nintendo has done in recent years. Seriously, they need to get their shit together when it comes to audio.
monolith doing baby staps when it comes to audio, XCX didnt have surround sound, XC2 didnt have it either. But XC1remake does, but rather porely. Is there any music coming from the rear when in open fields?

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Just found out this thread. I didn't know I couldn't use my switch like my other system ( switch => tv => avr) for 5.1 to Work. Will try connecting on the avr straight

If you're getting 5.1 that way with other systems, it must be through Dolby Digital or DTS, which usually introduces audio lag. TVs are unable to output uncompressed 5.1 LPCM back through ARC.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's ok now. I got my hdmi switch connected to my avr and I get 5.1 with my switch. Changed my tv and sounds 😅

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
monolith doing baby staps when it comes to audio, XCX didnt have surround sound, XC2 didnt have it either. But XC1remake does, but rather porely. Is there any music coming from the rear when in open fields?
As I said, almost everything is stereo except for chatter during battle and veeeeeeeeeeery quiet ambient noise. It's a stereo game in disguise FWIW

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
Can anyone comment on the BOTW's surround sound - is it full 5.1 or 4.0 like some games? (I believe Metroid Dread is 4.0)

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
you know, now that this was bumped....as a sidenote or thread....there is a list of supported DACs out there. It's not quite surround sound but I figure it's an audio support kinda thread for the switch. Can't tell if it's outdated or anything newer works as well. Good OP, thanks for the info.