• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mac or PC?

• I use Mac and prefer it

Votes: 258 12.7%
  • I use PC and prefer it

Votes: 1,049 51.5%
  • I use both and prefer Mac

Votes: 301 14.8%
  • I use both and prefer PC

Votes: 252 12.4%
  • I have no preference in 2019

Votes: 131 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 45 2.2%

• Total voters

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I haven't owned a PC in ages but use one at work. I prefer my Mac.

How about you? Are you a student or not anymore? What do you use and what do you prefer?

Link
studentsmacvspcpreference.jpg

studentsmacvspcreasons.jpg

Mod Update:
I would like to point out a Reddit comment for this same survey:

Jamf survey find mac to be more popular than windows?

Who or what is jamf?

" Jamf was born from the desire to create a better technology management solution for the hundreds of Macs on the University of Wisconsin "

Oh ok

Windows forum survey finds windows more popular than mac

Android reddit survey discovers that majority of youth uses andriod phones

Last edited by a moderator:

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
So... PC gaming is doomed then?

But seriously, never understood the love affair for macs. Though I spend a good chunk of my time on Linux, and would never be back to Windows if game compatibility got a bit higher (though I can spend significantly more time in Linux with how much proton and DXVK has improved the last 2 years).

use the entire headline

While not using the whole headline is a little silly, it really doesn't change anything does it? It's a straight preference for Mac either way.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I say: College students are still influenced by media and their peers. Not having a MacBook is considered by a lot of people to be unfashonable or puts you in a lower class than other people.

Yes, people really think this. This really be why Apple does so fucking well. Peer pressure, advertising, and misleading statistics.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I don't play games on the PC anymore so for what I use my computer for I much prefer using a Mac.

We still have PCs at work so I still do use a PC on occasion. Most of the time I just bring my own computer in instead.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it makes sense since Mac is easy as fuck to lose at cost of customization and all that. I was raised on windows and vastly prefer everything about it, but I get it

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
I say: College students are still influenced by media and their peers. Not having a MacBook is considered by a lot of people to be unfashonable or puts you in a lower class than other people.

Yes, people really think this. This really be why Apple does so fucking well. Peer pressure, advertising, and misleading statistics.

Clout culture is fucked

But I'mma wear my Airpods so I can flex on these broke asses tho

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017

These posts are the worst.

So condescending and just flat out wrong.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They're students, they don't really care nor for the most part benefit from what a Mac offers over a Windows machine, they're just after the status symbol.

That being said I will never go back to using a Windows machine over Linux unless I literally have no say in the matter.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Depends.

Mac is way better at like 75% of casual tasks.
Pc for gaming.

I choose Mac. I'm a casual.

Nov 30, 2018
Makes sense.

Windows is a nightmare. Besides Office, not much else going for it for students. I use my PC as a media server now a days. I7/16GB Of Ram is perfect for it.

Mac offers stable, virus free, timely unbroken updates, better battery life (most of the time) and way better customer support.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I use both and find both have their strengths and weaknesses, but I generally prefer macOS. I hate the shift to try to make it more iOS-like, as I hate iOS, and their current hardware designs (terrible keyboard and touch bar, mostly) guarantee I'll be keeping my 2015 MBP as long as I possibly can.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
After using a Mac at work, I never want to go back to PC. Made the jump from Android to iOS already and the next computer I get will be a Mac.

Done with PCs for the rest of my life.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't see your headline?
waoLuEB.jpg
That's because you didn't look at the source.
You just clicked the clickbait headline.

The graphic they created on the survey doesn't say that either so chill
It doesn't matter. If you are posting a thread with misinformation, then you are spreading misinformation. Read the entirety of the source of what you post. It's not a race to get clicks.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, my time at Apple and selling and talking to the people who buy Apple product has absolutely no bearing on what I say.
You stated that college students are stating they prefer Macs due to peer pressure and advertising.

I won't discount the power of advertising, but a lot of companies advertise and there are possibly other reasons some people prefer Macs or PCs then them being brainwashed or insecure.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I would like to point out a Reddit comment for this same survey:

Jamf survey find mac to be more popular than windows?

Who or what is jamf?

" Jamf was born from the desire to create a better technology management solution for the hundreds of Macs on the University of Wisconsin "

Oh ok

Windows forum survey finds windows more popular than mac

Android reddit survey discovers that majority of youth uses andriod phones

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Outside of games and some apps I would be Mac only without ever looking back so I understand their reasoning.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
I get that people like Macs/Apple, no hate or anything.

But I would NEVER buy a Mac. They become paper weights after a few years. My girlfriend bought a desktop mac a few years ago, it was like 1700 dollars... and its slower than my 300 dollar Lenovo laptop I got off Ebay.

They become instantly obsolete after only a few years, they have closed architecture that does not allow for upgrades and they really only excel in a few departments.

Id rather spend 1700 dollars on a custom rig that will outperform all the Macs out there AND have the option to do more.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a sad statistic. Less functional, less customizable, and the purveyor is pulling out every stop possible to keep you from being able to repair it yourself or take it to a second hand shop to repair, so they can charge out the ass for repairs and refurbs themselves. Not to mention worse software support and planned obsolescence. I've got a PC I built myself in 2012 that not only still runs perfectly, but can still run most modern games at medium settings.

use the entire headline

Yeah, no kidding. Given that fresh college grads with no experience tend to make, what, 45-50k a year if they're lucky? Have fun spending a sizable amount of that post-tax on a worse product that will be less powerful, less functional, and crap out on you faster than a comparably priced PC, and when it does, fuck you if you want to fix it or pay the local electronics repair shop to fix it.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
Alternative headline: Young influencers perfect popular brand among influencers for reasons other than performance.

studentsmacvspcreasons.jpg

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
You stated that college students are stating they prefer Macs due to peer pressure and advertising.

I won't discount the power of advertising, but a lot of companies advertise and there are possibly other reasons some people prefer Macs or PCs then them being brainwashed or insecure.
You'd be shocked at the number of MacBooks I sold to people who had no idea what they were talking about when it came to PCs and very plainly stated that one of the reasons they wanted one was because their friend(s) had one, that they had been told that they were the best. A SHOCKING amount. I'd say, when the conversations got deep enough to find that out that around, if not more, than 50% of people said something along those lines.

Nov 30, 2018
What a sad statistic. Less functional, less customizable, and the purveyor is pulling out every stop possible to keep you from being able to repair it yourself or take it to a second hand shop to repair, so they can charge out the ass for repairs and refurbs themselves. Not to mention worse software support and planned obsolescence. I've got a PC I built myself in 2012 that not only still runs perfectly, but can still run most modern games at medium settings.

Yeah, no kidding. Given that fresh college grads with no experience tend to make, what, 45-50k a year if they're lucky? Have fun spending a sizable amount of that post-tax on a worse product that will be less powerful, less functional, and crap out on you faster than a comparably priced PC, and when it does, fuck you if you want to fix it or pay the local electronics repair shop to fix it.

But you got your windows apps to back you up

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
These posts are the worst.

So condescending and just flat out wrong.

Elaborate for us then

EDIT: I read your post and you clearly don't keep up with any of this, lol. I can confirm that yes, this is a real thing. And from for most people that's completely fine because their laptops last them a while.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
I will never see a situation where I would prefer a Mac PC over a Windows PC.

I'm so versed in how Windows works (and how customized I can make my desktop hardware and software) that a Mac will never appeal to me.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Most people I knew in college used them because of the status associated with owning one. Not a single one of them bought it themselves, they were usually graduation gifts from their parents at the end of high school.

I'm a software developer and my entire organization is currently undergoing a Macbook refresh so I don't really have a choice in the matter.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
I like MacOS but it's antiquated Finder and bad window management make it kind of a chore to use in some ways. That said, it's a lot less "fuss" than Windows, less updates, no driver issues, ect. I've considered switching to one for my home computer (I use both at work), since I use that more sparingly these days, but the current MacBook hardware is super frustrating to me and I don't think I can justify the cost like I could if they just kept making the 2015 models with better specs.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I have a Windows PC at work and a macbook at home. My work laptop drives me crazy. I'm sure part of the issue is that my employer doesn't want to upgrade computers for everyone so my computer is on the slow end, but I hate so much about it.

Why are there so many updates and why are they so often?? Why do they always require a restart?

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
After going back to a PC for nearly a year I regret it. Nothing but hardware defects from the manufacturer and inconsistent software from Microsoft.

I'll do my best to get through the next few years of owning this dumpster fire but next time I'm due for an upgrade I'll pay the extra grand and get an equivalent specced macbook.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Really wish the article linked to the survey results instead of just the company that made it.

If it wasn't for the high cost and the fact a lot of the software I use isn't on MacOS I might consider switching from Windows. I like a lot about Chrome OS but it's still missing a lot of stuff I like. Linux is cool to play with but it just doesn't seem practical for most of my day to day use. A lot of the games I play also just don't work on Linux even with Proton and Lutris.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
Can't stand the Apple OS, I'd take the unfriendly Windows user experience to their inflexible design any day of the week.

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
I played games on computer all the time so I've been bias towards PC.

Now that I don't game and just use a computer for taxes and basic stuff i guess i would put mac into consideration.

Nov 30, 2018
I have a Windows PC at work and a macbook at home. My work laptop drives me crazy. I'm sure part of the issue is that my employer doesn't want to upgrade computers for everyone so my computer is on the slow end, but I hate so much about it.

Why are there so many updates and why are they so often?? Why do they always require a restart?

Because Windows is a mess. Once thing goes wrong and you have blue screen of death constantly with no fix in sight

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
I roll with a desktop that is Windows+Ubuntu and Laptop that is Mac. Some of that is because I like to have my feet in all the ponds, but I mostly have a Mac laptop due to continual issues with non-Mac laptops build quality/lifespan. I'll also give credit to Mac for having for having the best touchpad interactions by far.

All that said, Windows as an OS I enjoy far more than MacOS.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
That's because you didn't look at the source.
You just clicked the clickbait headline.

It doesn't matter. If you are posting a thread with misinformation, then you are spreading misinformation. Read the entirety of the source of what you post. It's not a race to get clicks.
I literally can't find the headline people are saying is the "full headline" - it's not linked to in the article that I can find? I'd be happy to add more info but we can tell where you're coming from based on your tone in posts here