• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mac or PC?

• I use Mac and prefer it

Votes: 258 12.7%
  • I use PC and prefer it

Votes: 1,049 51.5%
  • I use both and prefer Mac

Votes: 301 14.8%
  • I use both and prefer PC

Votes: 252 12.4%
  • I have no preference in 2019

Votes: 131 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 45 2.2%

• Total voters

julian

Oct 27, 2017
They both suck for different reasons.

Probably the least controversial post in this thread.

I bought a Razer Blade 15 which has a Microsoft Precision touchpad, and it's a very Mac-like experience on PC. Glass, ultra smooth, ultra precise, supports up to 4 finger gestures.

Looking it up it seems to start at $1500. Which isn't a huge price difference from a Mac laptop. And that's a pretty specific feature you have to look out for. With Mac, you know the touchpad you're getting no matter the model. It's like a quintessential example of the pro/con of Apple. You know what you're getting when you buy it, but you're also stuck with those things and you're unlikely gonna get something else with it.

The advantages of Macs are valuable to certain people and unimportant to others. If I tell you I find macOS much more pleasing and practical, you'll tell me that is a matter of taste. If I tell you certain third party apps I rely on daily can't be found on Windows, you'll say it doesn't matter to you. If I tell you I want my computer to work seamlessly with my iPad and iPhone, you'll tell me you don't use those. On the other hand, if you tell me you want to play games on your PC that are not available on a Mac, I'll tell you I play games on my PS4 and Switch.

Obviously, this is not a convetsation with you specifically, more an example of me talking to an imaginary person. But you get the idea.

At the end of the day, it comes down to taste and needs. For me the difference between using a Mac and a PC is a difference between focusing on my work or fighting frustration while trying to focus. Of course, I'm well aware that is not the same (and, in fact, the opposite) for many people.

Oh my god, seriously. The amount of PC elitism is so strong here and having grown up with Macs, I've had to hear it for decades. There are obvious benefits to a PC, but some people seem incapable of even understanding why somebody would use a Mac.

When I used to hear people tell me how expensive Macs were, doing video editing on a Mac was literally thousands of dollars cheaper and infinitely easier.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have time to go through the whole thread but I think the number two factor; first is obviously brand power, is...

The IPad.

Most kids first computing experience coming up is going to be an iPad or an IPod Touch.

idlewild_

Oct 29, 2017
Have a MacBook through work, it's main use is ssh into my workstation or check email. It's alright I guess, definitely not worth the cost but I'm not paying so w/e.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Can someone recommend some must have MacOS apps?
Aflred is the only one I would say is indespensible. Path Finder and Better touch tool are also good if you need power user features.
I'd love to get a MacBook to program and design on, actually. No idea if I should hold off on that since I hear nothing but bad things about newer hardware.
A refurb 2015 Pro is a far better value prop than the trash new ones unless you really need the spec bump or USB-C

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Went out of my way to pick pc parts compatible with macOS. So while I use pc for gaming, I use macos for everything else. Even at work, I only use Mac for development. I just like macOS. I just wish Apple actually cared about their Mac lineup.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
My Mac laptop is still the best computer I've ever owned. My Windows PC w/2080ti is pretty much only used for gaming at this point. For every thing else, the experience is better on OSX, IMO. Superior work flow for me with dual monitors and a superior trackpad and UI built around its gestures. When I'm on my PC, I feel like I'm using a traditional computer. When I'm on my Mac, the swiping feels next level. I remain shocked that Windows laptops have not duplicated the OSX Spaces feature now some 10 years after its introduction.

So I support that 71% of students. If not for gaming, I'd be long gone from the PC space.

TKM

Oct 28, 2017
My work machine is Win7 so I have a desktop PC at home. I don't game on it at all, and would prefer a Mac. I'm one of two holdouts with a desktop PC in my social circle. Everyone else has a Macbook or iPad for most of their computing needs.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I say: College students are still influenced by media and their peers. Not having a MacBook is considered by a lot of people to be unfashonable or puts you in a lower class than other people.

Yes, people really think this. This really be why Apple does so fucking well. Peer pressure, advertising, and misleading statistics.

I say, I used to use a PC. Had a dell laptop in 2001-2007 or so. This was back in high school and college btw. The Dell was a physical tank and lasted me those 6-7 years, but it had shitloads of software issues. Crashes and blue screens and freezing and shit I can't remember now. I thought macs were lame at the time, but my cousins always tried to convince me otherwise.

After the dell crapped out I got an HP laptop because it had reviewed well and was in my fresh graduate price range. The thing was an absolute pile of shit. Nothing ever worked. Windows 7(?) was dogshit. I hated that machine. I had it for a year or so and couldn't stand using it. Ended up chucking it in the trash because it was literally worthless, and bought a MacBook Pro. Used for 3 years or so and it was fantastic, zero issues, always worked. It took me awhile to get used to the os but other than that, no issues. I then sold it for like 600 bucks (not worthless like my HP!) and upgraded to an Air. Used that fully specced Air (sold it for 700 bucks!) until last year when I went back to a brand new 2018 fully specced MacBook Pro again. Yea it cost me like 4K usd, but I anticipate a) not having any problems and b) selling it for a reasonable return in 4-5 years time when I'm ready to upgrade.

I'm sure PCs are better now than what they were when I was using them, but I think it's silly to say people are buying macs because of peer pressure. It's just a better experience for a lot of people. Could I get more machine for 4k if I went pc? I'm sure I could, but I know exactly what I'm getting by buying a Mac. That's a pretty valuable selling point. I couldn't give a shit about if anyone thinks I'm trendy 😂

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Except when macOS decided to change the directory for a binary and suddenly stuff like Home-brew or python sym links broke on me. It was a rather simple fix, but that is the one area that drives me nuts with macOS. Why it is still shipping with Python 2.7 in 2019? Just fucking why.
In my defense my mac book is from 2008 and it kind of couldn't update to the latest OS version a while ago so it's a bit out of date.
No idea why 2019 Mac OS is shipping with an oldest Python version than what I currently use on my severely out of date Mac...

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
In my defense my mac book is from 2008 and it kind of couldn't update to the latest OS version a while ago so it's a bit out of date.
No idea why 2019 Mac OS is shipping with an oldest Python version than what I currently use on my severely out of date Mac...

I'm no mac fan, but why is this a huge deal? Can't you just brew install python? There's ways to force specific versions like 3.6.5 on stack overflow.

Once you figure out python installation per platform, venv, and pip it is nearly os agnostic.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Sorry for the dogpile

But... yeah, like every single iOS app ever? And an army of Unity devs?

To be fair, nearly every other software market is windows and linux. Even some linux guys will use Windows for the UI and in upcoming builds of windows you basically get both kernels and windows user mode which imo is the best of both worlds. Visual Studio and azure devops is so many levels of magnitude beyond other workflows it is hands down. It is the reason why Microsoft is growing rapidly again.

Fergie

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
England m8.
I use both but prefer PC, especially when I build my own and use gamer level specs.
Windows needs that horsepower.

Do love my MacBook though for most general use.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy the operating system - it just feels better than Windows. However, the butterfly keyboards on the MacBooks of the past few years absolutely negate any enjoyment I experience with mac OS. My desktop is remaining a Windows machine due to running games, so as long as butterfly keyboards continue to exist (and especially while MacBook pricing is ridiculously stupid for starting at about the same point for the base, Air, and Pro), I'm not going to be getting a MacBook and therefore I'm not going to be getting a Mac.

iPads are pretty great right now though.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
The linux subsystem on windows almost completely removes the need for me to have a mac at this point. I can basically have it all on one machine (without dual booting) now, from gaming to whatever programming projects I want to do.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These posts are the worst.

So condescending and just flat out wrong.

It's true though. The brand is built around being hip, stylish and easy to use.

If the cost were lowered and everyone had a Mac it would cease to become a cool must have item and people would move on. After all, I wouldn't say it's hotly desired for things like functionality which is limited compared to Windows.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the age range, I would buy one too if they weren't prohibitively expensive for the 15-inch Pro models

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, nearly every other software market is windows and linux. Even some linux guys will use Windows for the UI and in upcoming builds of windows you basically get both kernels and windows user mode which imo is the best of both worlds. Visual Studio and azure devops is so many levels of magnitude beyond other workflows it is hands down. It is the reason why Microsoft is growing rapidly again.

Yeah. Not gonna argue about VS, it's very good.

Why Unity on Mac over PC?
Unity started as a Mac app. I find it a little better behaved on macOS. Also still no hiDPI editor support on Windows so Unity looks fuzzy on 4K displays.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
It's your opinion that Mac owners in colleges only own them because of peer pressure and brainwashing?

What's with these crazy opinions on consumer electronics...

No offense, but you really seem to be taking that comment personally. As we get older it's easy to forget how much group think/peer pressure had on us. As I said earlier in the thread, kids are ostracizing each other over Fortnite skins these days.

Apple only sells laptops at the high end. so if you have an Apple it almost automatically proves you have a certain level of wealth.

With the amount of variability inherent in Windows laptops, you can have a $400(low end) or a $2000 high end.

The thing is, that in general, most people couldn't spot a high end Windows laptop at a glance. So, when making snap judgments about someone, which is a specialty of younger people. Windows equals poor/?, but Apple always equals a certain amount of wealth.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
No offense, but you really seem to be taking that comment personally. As we get older it's easy to forget how much group think/peer pressure had on us. As I said earlier in the thread, kids are ostracizing each other over Fortnite skins these days.

Apple only sells laptops at the high end. so if you have an Apple it almost automatically proves you have a certain level of wealth.

With the amount of variability inherent in Windows laptops, you can have a $400(low end) or a $2000 high end.

The thing is, that in general, most people couldn't spot a high end Windows laptop at a glance. So, when making snap judgments about someone, which is a specialty of younger people. Windows equals poor/?, but Apple always equals a certain amount of wealth.
It's an extreme generalization and I find it to be pretty iffy like most broad generalizations.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
It's an extreme generalization and I find it to be pretty iffy like most broad generalizations.

What's the generalization?

The cheapest Apple laptop you can buy new is a $1200 1.6GHz dual core.

How is that not extravagant in any measure? It's beyond the practicality of a lot of low/middle income people.

I just Googled "Amazon i5 laptop" and got a top result of a 2019 HP. After configuration It came to $750 with twice the storage, DDR4 vs DDR3 and the same CPU.

Now I can't account for ease of use, touchpad greatness or other non measurable variants, but neither can the average consumer.

Point blank if you buy Apple, it's out of actual preference or money is not an issue, so I buy the "luxury" brand. Apple is the known luxury brand of laptops, no dispute.

TLDR: If you see someone using an Apple you know they have means. People that care about status and see Windows, mostly will assume poor, because the general public doesn't hasn't heard of the Dell XPS13, but they sure as hell know what a Macbook is.

Edit: All the cross compatibility, and other niche benefits do not counter the exorbitant cost for the general public. I bought my daughters $229 and $329 laptops for Christmas. Less than $600 for two laptops that serve all their purposes. If I wanted to get them Apple it's 4 times the cost.

Last edited:

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Sure, I've never used a MacBook, but if cost were no object, of course I'd buy a really expensive, great looking laptop and not have to care about shitty keyboards, or specs or that for the money, I can't even game on that thing.

I'd use it for productivity and then get a dedicated gaming laptop. Those look pretty good nowadays but they're no Macbook.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
What's the generalization?

The cheapest Apple laptop you can buy new is a $1200 1.6GHz dual core.

How is that not extravagant in any measure? It's beyond the practicality of a lot of low/middle income people.

I just Googled "Amazon i5 laptop" and got a top result of a 2019 HP. After configuration It came to $750 with twice the storage, DDR4 vs DDR3 and the same CPU.

Now I can't account for ease of use, touchpad greatness or other non measurable variants, but neither can the average consumer.

Point blank if you buy Apple, it's out of actual preference or money is not an issue, so I buy the "luxury" brand. Apple is the known luxury brand of laptops, no dispute.

TLDR: If you see someone using an Apple you know they have means. People that care about status and see Windows, mostly will assume poor, because the general public doesn't hasn't heard of the Dell XPS13, but they sure as hell know what a Macbook is.
You can buy expensive Windows hardware too. At some point for a lot of consumer electronics you need to have some money to buy into a lot of products.

I don't like generalizations about consumers or why they buy products.

I am sure some or maybe even a lot of people who buy Apple products buy it for status but my point is that people buy what they buy for a lot of different reasons. If you say some or most and justify it that's fine, but overly broad generalizations always annoy me.

Kisaya

Oct 25, 2017
Been a PC user most of my life but probably would have had an easier time with a Mac as a student. Switched to a MacBook for work and I don't think I can go back.

coopolon

Oct 25, 2017
With linux subsystem for windows I lost my excuse to pay extra money on macs. I do prefer them but you get so much more hardware for your money with non-macs.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
You can buy expensive Windows hardware too. At some point for a lot of consumer electronics you need to have some money to buy into a lot of products.

I don't like generalizations about consumers or why they buy products.

I am sure some or maybe even a lot of people who buy Apple products buy it for status but my point is that people buy what they buy for a lot of different reasons. If you say some or most and justify it that's fine, but overly broad generalizations always annoy me.

I don't like generalizations either.

The thread is about how Apple laptops are viewed in Collage. Apples are default luxury items. Windows requires additional information to determine quality, which a majority doesn't/will never care to look into. That's why Surface has gone solely high end. They are trying to elevate the prestige of Windows products.

Jan 15, 2019
I don't really care one way or the other. I guess if I'm forced to choose I'd go with an iMac for the simplicity of a monitor and computer integrated into one unit, but I'm pretty indifferent frankly.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
I studied architecture, almost all the software is geared toward Windows so it wasn't a consideration back then. I dabbled in graphic design at a studio after graduating and met this ghastly thing...

r1sESOZ.png

apart from that I just wasn't used to the OS, I find multitasking on Windows faster, my laptop I use for work today has a beefy GPU, the likes of which aren't available in any Apple product no matter how much you spend.

I used AutoCAD for macos for a couple month before switching to a windows laptop in undergrad. It is the worst software I've ever used. The version I used doesn't even have a functioning layer manager...There's also the atrocity that is Rhino for Mac. I don't know why they even bother.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Far prefer PC but I'm not a software engineer (who I hear prefer Macs unless making applications for Windows of course) and when I have done any serious programming at work it's been in Linux using the command line interface.

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I use Windows, Linux and Mac.

Windows:
I prefer Windows as my home computer OS. I have the most experience with it and prefer its quirks to those of Linux/Mac.

Mac:
I tried switching from Windows to Mac for a couple of months last year and while the experience was fine I simply missed too much QoL features from Windows. Now I only use my Mac for messing around with Xcode.

Linux:
My preferred development environment, use it professionally for work and at home for hobby development.

RawNuts

Nov 13, 2017
Have to use Macs at work and can't stand them. Apple massively screwed up on these trash can style Mac Pros; they're the highest spec hardware you can buy in the brand currently, which means we're bottlenecked by their design, and yet they still manage to run hot because Apple opted for form factor over functionality on their lineup meant for professionals, for whatever reason.
Not to mention how restrictive software can be for it, especially if you depend on various niche tools that don't have Mac equivalents.

I would switch our department over to PCs in a heartbeat if the company wasn't so insistent on having a Mac ecosystem.