• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I've been out of the loop on survival games for a minute, and basically I'm looking for one that has a well designed map with unique landmarks that makes exploration enjoyable. Post apocalyptic, fantasy, sci-fi, the theme doesn't matter so much as the world just needs to feel hand crafted and not a bunch of copy-pasted structures everywhere. DayZ had the benefit of the Arma II map and ideally I'd like something similar with a more modern visual sheen, cities and settlements with plenty of natural areas around them, but again not a requirement just a preference.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
Subnautica is probably the best game in this genre at the moment. Map and items are hand crafted as opposed to procedurally generated. Story is advanced almost entirely through exploration.

I highly recommend it.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Subnautica has some amazing things to discover and an incredibly unique environment to explore. I believe it was also hand-crafted as well.

Despite all of the flaws, the world of Fallout 76 is easily the best part of that game.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
Subnautica has some amazing things to discover and an incredibly unique environment to explore. I believe it was also hand-crafted as well.

Despite all of the flaws, the world of Fallout 76 is easily the best part of that game.

While it being a mess has put me off, I think the approach they took with the design of fallout 76 is more appealling to me than ESO. I remember starting the game and running into an NPC telling me and all the other players jumping up and down around them that we were the chosen one.

Just don't think Bethesda style games work well as themepark mmos.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Let me tell you about a game called Kenshi... In Kenshi everyone lives, grows, explores, subsists and dies--even you. It's so interesting because the world is so inhospitable, being a truly post-apocalyptic world where division reigns, resources are scarce, and danger is everywhere. I've never played a more immersive survival RPG, where exploring feels so dangerous.

Kenshi has an open world with discrete zones containing all kinds of unique hazards, ranging from impossibly-strong monsters to fatal weather effects. You can only explore so long as you're prepared, and even then something unexpected can dramatically alter your plans. A simple jaunt through a jungle can leave you half-dead fighting for your life against Blood Spiders; or a nightly stroll through a desert can leave you running for cover as daytime reveals heat rays so powerful they'll kill you in a couple hits. There's all sorts of dangers and you can never know ahead of time what you'll face.

Part of what makes it so effective is how growth and health is handled. It's sort of Skyrim like, where every action increases a skill, but it's also got hardcore survival elements like food meters, limb health, and things like that. Survival is much more nuanced than just "keep your hunger meter and health bar full". It leads to a lot of interesting--and desperate--situations as plans go sideways.

Kenshi is just so good.

blakdeth

Oct 25, 2017
Going to recommend the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series. Excellent atmosphere based on the Chernobyl exclusion zone.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
While it being a mess has put me off, I think the approach they took with the design of fallout 76 is more appealling to me than ESO. I remember starting the game and running into an NPC telling me and all the other players jumping up and down around them that we were the chosen one.

Just don't think Bethesda style games work well as themepark mmos.
I honestly think that Fallout 76 should have been a traditional co-op game. Maybe have a hub area like Destiny where you can form parties with randoms or something but all I ever wanted to do was explore and build settlements with my friends. The PvP stuff was bunk from the beginning. The strength was always going to be in exploration and crafting and those things are always a good time in co-op. A 4-8 player co-op game just would have been more focused.