• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I thought for sure he'd at least bring it out to match Dom's play.

Wendell's voting confessional though, whoo - loved it.

Sorry, I kinda had to do it.

Haha, that video is great.

Yeah, I expected Dom to play his first, followed by Chris and maybe Wendell so he'd block any split votes and it would result in Libby leaving. Just really odd that Christ didn't bother to play his as well.

I think Dom playing the legacy advantage weirdly made Chris more confident in his plan. He was ready to look like a genius for instructing a vote split.

Yeah, pretty much agree with what you said.

The whole episode he's building himself up higher and higher, then gets a supposed windfall that backfires almost immediately - fast forward, plans a vote split out in the open all while knowing he doesn't have his own vote, then leaves it up to chance?

Wendell hit the nail on the head - too much "I' and not enough "we" when Chris was discussing prospective plans at camp, regardless whether it was for a voting block or simply just living out there. Cocky move, and it would've probably worked 10 or 15 seasons ago, but when there's this many swaps and concurrent merges going on, how are you gonna put things up to blind trust like that?

Kirblar said it better a few posts up (#541) - you can't really form lasting relationships if the game's forcing you to play switcheroo every couple of tribals. Definitely curious to hear about those budget cuts though. At first glance earlier in the season it looked like they were peppering in a bunch of "legacy" challenges to appease long time fans of the show but now it feels like they've tossed that plan out and are scrabbling together whatever's still functional or workable under these conditions just to push the game forward.

vypek - Thanks! I thought someone might get a kick out of it. Encapsulates this last run a bit too well, lol.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The budget cuts have been a thing for a long while, its why you have so many dumb endurance challenges for ICs since the 20s.

It's just been a bit more prominent the last few seasons. I know they have to tailor certain games or challenges around the conditions but you're right about the uptick in endurance ICs.

Like you used to see them repeat a final three challenge every handful of years like the blind run maze or that basic ocean hoops challenge for tribal immunity, but now it's really noticeable to the point that it's a bit off-putting.

EDIT: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ wtf - #WendellWasRight

Last edited:

CarterTax

Oct 25, 2017
Chris is an idiot. He really thinks that he possesses some sort of charisma that can make people do what he wants them to do but he doesn't. His lack of being able to explain to the rest of the tribe why going after Dom would be a good move for THEM was a huge mistake.

I'm glad he's gone since he was insufferable to watch on TV.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Important Ponderosa video:

embarassed-for-u.gif

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
It's not cringey at all. It's surprisingly good. You should watch it. And turn up the volume. I really think you'll like it.

He was so great on the show.

Realized I didn't timestamp what I was trying to share, starting at 3:01. Updated my response. And yes, he was so good. He keeps saying he sees no point in returning, but I hope he comes around to the idea at some point.

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked Chris up until that episode.

Had an idol he could only use either that tribal or next, couldn't vote, knew at least one person was voting against him, knew the person he was hoping would be evicted couldn't go home...like damn he really thought he convinced everyone to split their votes between Dom and Wendell huh. There was no reason not to use the idol.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I think this was the first episode in a bit that I really liked. I was feeling down on the season and thought the editing was kind of ruining the enjoyment of the show as a season in favor of making the episodes slightly more enjoyable. I'm now interested in how the tribe shakes up moving forward. Still don't feel like I have a full grasp on alignments though, seems wonky.

DopeToast

Oct 27, 2017
I think that was the best episode of the season so far, and has me excited for the rest going forward. It baffles me that people get so confident and cocky that they don't use an idol when their head is on the chopping block, especially when that's like the theme of the whole season! It's hard to keep those idols until a final five or four anyway. Libby was lucky that Chris was over-confident.

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I gotta say: never Fucking google "Chris noble" while you're watching the episode; just because some girl said his name. I ruined the exit vote. Fuck ... and this would have to be one of the best episodes this season - this dom Chris episode m. Arghhh

ronaldthump

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyhow.... if he didn't use the idol. He deserves to be booted

ronaldthump

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait. Dom Played the advantage and he still didn't use his idol?!! LOL?! What a fucking idiot

Lolololllolololool

Chris is the dumbest survivor ever

Ganhyun

Oct 26, 2017
Have to watch this on the website since I dont have cable anymore. Knew the minute Chris didnt play his idol he was gone.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Wait. Dom Played the advantage and he still didn't use his idol?!! LOL?! What a fucking idiot

Lolololllolololool

Chris is the dumbest survivor ever

I just keep wondering who exactly Chris had that much trust in? It seems crazy that it's all just no self awareness and that much self confidence? Would he have even played it if both Dom and Wendell played their idols?

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Grexeno , you are tied for first place on the global fantasy leaderboard out of 798 people! Good job! I'm only 3 points behind you..still coming for you. :)

ronaldthump

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
jHP48TD.jpg

I actually think anyone going out with an idol is fucking dumb and chris is fucking dumb. lol that face.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
How did this knucklehead not play his idol as soon as he saw Dom play his advantage?

Nemo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the most boneheaded decisions. It's not the fact that he went home without playing the idol. It's the fact that he didn't play the idol when there were a million red flags.

OP
OP
Carthago Delenda Est
Oct 28, 2017
I just keep wondering who exactly Chris had that much trust in? It seems crazy that it's all just no self awareness and that much self confidence? Would he have even played it if both Dom and Wendell played their idols?

He said he would have idol'ed if no one else did or if both Wendell and Dom did. He thought he was ok with just Dom because he asked Angela and she explicitly told him he was safe this time and that the alliance would be voting him on the next vote. Of course, Angela was betrayed as well but Chris and her didn't know that.

Chris didn't trust anyone. He thought Dom was the bigger threat because he believed Dom was a combo of Tony/Boston Rob/Russell Hantz and he thought everyone else agreed. In that context, Dom was the bigger immediate threat and made more sense to burn ASAP. He could be removed by a majority the next time he lost immunity. He didn't think he could win.

He does want to come back by the way. I'd have him back.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He said he would have idol'ed if no one else did or if both Wendell and Dom did. He thought he was ok with just Dom because he asked Angela and she explicitly told him he was safe this time and that the alliance would be voting him on the next vote. Of course, Angela was betrayed as well but Chris and her didn't know that.

Chris didn't trust anyone. He thought Dom was the bigger threat because he believed Dom was a combo of Tony/Boston Rob/Russell Hantz and he thought everyone else agreed. In that context, Dom was the bigger immediate threat and made more sense to burn ASAP. He could be removed by a majority the next time he lost immunity. He didn't think he could win.

But his idol was only good for ONE MORE WEEK. He had to believe that he was both immune this week, and at risk next week.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017

I dunno, he can say that after the fact or whatever but what we see doesn't really substantiate that. Him taking everyone to the water, takes SOME kind of trust to not think at least someone is going back and telling Wendell and Dom. Hearing yourself getting at least one vote audibly at tribal and having an idol that's only good for two weeks has to take soooome kind of trust in that he's not getting any other votes if he also thinks Dom has an idol. It's either extreme over confidence or a lot of trust in how people will deal with this situation even knowing all the caveats that he brought up himself.

He'd be good to come back only because he's a character, it definitely ain't for gameplay.

ronaldthump

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But his idol was only good for ONE MORE WEEK. He had to believe that he was both immune this week, and at risk next week.

survive and hunt for the idols + win immunity.

He's an idiot. Couldn't believe it.

I thought that googling and finding out who lost meant that the episode would have been ruined but thanks to how fucking stupid chris is, final tribal was still awesome.
I dunno, he can say that after the fact or whatever but what we see doesn't really substantiate that. Him taking everyone to the water, takes SOME kind of trust to not think at least someone is going back and telling Wendell and Dom. Hearing yourself getting at least one vote audibly at tribal and having an idol that's only good for two weeks has to take soooome kind of trust in that he's not getting any other votes if he also thinks Dom has an idol. It's either extreme over confidence or a lot of trust in how people will deal with this situation even knowing all the caveats that he brought up himself.

He'd be good to come back only because he's a character, it definitely ain't for gameplay.

actually, he's not much of a character. He's pretty damn dull. No strategy, not liked by anyone. The only thing he had for himself was the sorta good looks but even then he wasn't even able to charm the women.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Again: WHY EVEN RISK YOUR VOTE TO EXTEND THE LIFE OF AN IDOL YOU SHOULD BE PLAYING IMMEDIATELY ANYWAY

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Again: WHY EVEN RISK YOUR VOTE TO EXTEND THE LIFE OF AN IDOL YOU SHOULD BE PLAYING IMMEDIATELY ANYWAY

Honestly risking the vote was the least dumb thing he did. With 13 people and the way the talks were shaking out it never really seemed like it would have been a close vote no matter what way it went. It's that first merge vote, they aren't going to be drawing the lines as much as a 6-7 split or something like that. Not saying he should really throw his vote away at any point, but if there was any time where your vote would likely mean the least it would probably be at merge with 13 people.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't blame him for trying to extend it farther. His vote wasn't going to matter tonight. BUT AT LEAST PLAY IT

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
I was watching this episode while working, and I admit that I wasn't paying too much attention to it. Did they have a scene where, after seeing Dom's obviously fake idol, everybody calls out Chris about it? I could have sworn they showed that on last week's preview, but maybe it happened while I was concentrating on something else.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Chris was a pompous ass, and I'm glad he was voted out. I got sick of listening to him and all of the conceit that came out of his mouth.

It's hard to believe he didn't play his idol.

Wendel's vote confession was great, too. It was hilarious.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
Chris was a pompous ass, and I'm glad he was voted out. I got sick of listening to him and all of the conceit that came out of his mouth.

It's hard to believe he didn't play his idol.

Wendel's vote confession was great, too. It was hilarious.

Chris actually seems pretty introspective and sensitive in all of his exit press, so I think it's a bit unfair to call him a "pompous ass" based on his edit. I also haven't heard a single negative word about him from any of the players voted out thus far.

Personally, I thought he was an incredibly unique and entertaining character and can't wait until he comes back, presumably in a rematch season with Dom.

OP
OP
Carthago Delenda Est
Oct 28, 2017
I was watching this episode while working, and I admit that I wasn't paying too much attention to it. Did they have a scene where, after seeing Dom's obviously fake idol, everybody calls out Chris about it? I could have sworn they showed that on last week's preview, but maybe it happened while I was concentrating on something else.

They did not. No one told him.

Someone remind me - Dom still has a real idol right?

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
I'm annoyed that they're bringing back the Fear Factor-style eating challenges. What types of skills are involved in that? No one's being "outwitted" or "outplayed," it's just a matter of who has the best gag reflex. And the worst part is if someone can't do it, the rest of their team starts throwing their names as potential votes. Does someone deserve to be voted out because they couldn't stomach a squirming giant maggot?

It honestly feels like a holdover from the early days of extreme reality TV.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm annoyed that they're bringing back the Fear Factor-style eating challenges. What types of skills are involved in that? No one's being "outwitted" or "outplayed," it's just a matter of who has the best gag reflex. And the worst part is if someone can't do it, the rest of their team starts throwing their names as potential votes. Does someone deserve to be voted out because they couldn't stomach a squirming giant maggot?

It honestly feels like a holdover from the early days of extreme reality TV.
You hate fun.

Challenges SHOULD be quasi-random and test different skillsets. It's a big part of the problem with a billion endurance ICs post-merge.