• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
NvfxDUq.png

Come on in, guys!

It's that time again. Twice a year, 16-20 Americans hit the beach for 39 days and test their bodies and minds as they compete in challenges and vote each other out with the goal of taking home the title of "Sole Survivor" and the $1,000,000 prize.

On Wednesday, September 26th, 20 new castaways will hit the beaches of Fiji in an attempt to outwit, outplay, and outlast each other using whatever means necessary to sit there at the end for a chance to win it all.

This time around, for its 37th season, Survivor is splitting the castaways into two tribes divided by people who have had to work from the bottom their whole lives to make something of themselves/improve their situation (Davids), and those who have had some advantage or another from the get-go. Or something like that. It's basically just Champions vs. Contenders. Host Jeff Probst says a big part of the theme this season will not be "who has the advantage," but "what is the advantage?" Basically - production is trying to say that any "David" that has their own metaphorical slingshot can take down a "Goliath." Take from that what you will.

tYymaRH.png

Join us! This season, you can claim the title of SOLE SurvivERA. Join our uncapped custom league by signing up for free (using your username so we know who's who) at Tribal-Council.com. Click "Join Private League" when you first login and enter the league code: 74bc35a3965a750f

For those new to this - pick any 8 people right away and click save changes. Then on the next step, choose which 5 are starting (earning points) and which 3 are benched. You can keep changing your picks and who is starting until about an hour before the season starts. Better to have picks you don't like then forgetting to sign back in and pick no one at all. The website has a rules category so you can see how points are earned and lost, but honestly - no way to really know how anyone is going to do pre-season. You're mostly just picking faces/personalities that you vibe with.

xwtYqrj.png

The Idol Nullifier - This season will introduce a new advantage that allows somone to anonymously try to nullify a suspected idol play while in the voting booth which is raised out of view this season from the others at Tribal Council. They must announce who the idol nullifier is going to. So if Mike White plays the nullifer on a suspected play by John Hennigan, and Hennigan does play the idol, but for Dan Rengering, the idol play will still go through. If Hennigan plays the idol for himself, however, all votes for Hennigan will still count.

Also, the new final four format of going to fire is returning, as well as the open forum Final Tribal Council.

te8dC3g.png

YA4w340.png

pre4asO.jpg

Fz8pvkV.jpg

nXpDx4m.jpg

uCvRa2r.jpg

Tf8Y4Mq.jpg

rlV87pY.jpg

Zmixl6y.jpg

CxVT2RZ.jpg

TkJqmEN.jpg

Tzp4fLX.jpg

6U6jR0u.png

VMTtlPw.jpg

zaMyHX6.jpg

Yt5e5yD.jpg

UKazJKP.jpg

UDgU71T.jpg

EQrnGXF.jpg

zt7Irjr.jpg

nTeNEII.jpg

b8cMZ8q.jpg

K2E0sXw.jpg

n1w8w0H.png

Survivor 36: Ghost Island |OT| Who names their kid Donathan?
Survivor 35: Heroes vs. Healers vs. Hustlers |OT| Hey look at this octopus

giphy.gif

That's it. Got nothin' for ya. Head Back to camp!

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
Wow quite the diverse cast. Excluding the shitty racewar season, is this their most diverse cast?
Well, I've seen that Mike White guy before in a few movies.
I know his face but I can't for the life of me name one actual movie I have seen him in.
I checked his IMDB and I don't think I've seen most of those tv/movies he was in but damn if his face isn't super familiar.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Both the theme and the twist sound dumb. But I'll still watch.

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Perfect timing with the end of Aussie S5.

I prefer to call it S3. Everyone involved and the fans don't seem to count the old version which was on a different network and with a different host. Also, I think one of the old seasons they let someone cast a vote for themself?

And yeah, this season has been great. S2 (4 to you lol) had a better first half, but I think this newest season might have a better end game. Up to now anyway. Either way, Luke Toki is still my all time favorite. :)

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Usually around 1-2 AM EST the morning after. But if you have All Access, you can also click on the "Watch Live" feature which is part of the paid plan.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
I prefer to call it S3. Everyone involved and the fans don't seem to count the old version which was on a different network and with a different host. Also, I think one of the old seasons they let someone cast a vote for themself?

And yeah, this season has been great. S2 (4 to you lol) had a better first half, but I think this newest season might have a better end game. Up to now anyway. Either way, Luke Toki is still my all time favorite. :)

First AU one I've seen. Didn't realise there was production drama lol
I'm a big fan of the US one and I've really enjoyed the AU series. Wish they wouldn't butcher the dialogue so much, there's so much of that on US tv and it grates something rotten.

Really looking forward to new teams, and that film guy I had to Google, I swore it was Mullet from Snatch :D

Ewen-Bremner-in-Snatch-ewen-bremner-5451676-640-368.jpg

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know who to root for, I'll probably just wait until the merge and see who's left.

Also, I love how half the Goliath tribe is from California lol.

Goonie

Oct 26, 2017
I no his face but I can't for the life of me name one actual movie I have seen him in.
I checked his IMDB and I don't think I've seen most of those tv/movies he was in but damn if his face isn't super familiar.
Same thing happened to me, but then I saw he was also on The Amazing Race with his dad!

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a big Survivor fan but i'm feeling zero hype for this season for some reason. Hopefully the first couple of episodes will change my mind!

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Got my fantasy league picks in. It's the first time doing this, so an additional boost of hype for this season.

I have no positivie or negative expectations about this, I haven't check any pregame stuff aside from the individual intro videos to make my picks, so I don't even know th etwists involved this time around.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I have abysmally low expectations for this season and the next one. And given who was subsequently fired... probably every season thereafter.
But at least Australian Survivor is filling that void.

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
I have abysmally low expectations for this season and the next one. And given who was subsequently fired... probably every season thereafter.

You're not alone. It's a common sentiment currently among longtime Survivor fans. I've never truly disliked any season (One World comes close), and I haven't minded the "interference" the recent end-game twists have provided for the end result like many. Ultimately, the format will always keep me interested. And after these two seasons, I'm excited to see what the casting director change-up brings for 39 and beyond. The new guy cast Big Brother Over the Top which had a fantastic cast. So I'm hopeful.

In the meantime, I'm hoping the fantasy league can engage those on the line like yourself to enjoy the season at least a bit more. :)

Setzer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PNW
No date announced yet, so probably January.
I'm guessing this is as well. CBS no longer does 2 seasons of Amazing Race like they do Survivor. If they want to pin it on lack of ratings, they're the ones that moved it from the Sunday night time slot to Friday nights. They even did one season where they put the show on at 10pm on Thursday.

Anyways, at least they didn't completely cancel the show.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017

Sadly I haven't watched the last two Survivor seasons (which is a first in my life) because I've been super busy and just haven't got around to purchasing them off of iTunes yet and I like to go in order. What's the news? Who got fired and what's the story about it? I don't want to look around to much in case I see spoilers for stuff I haven't seen as stupid as that sounds.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Sadly I haven't watched the last two Survivor seasons (which is a first in my life) because I've been super busy and just haven't got around to purchasing them off of iTunes yet and I like to go in order. What's the news? Who got fired and what's the story about it? I don't want to look around to much in case I see spoilers for stuff I haven't seen as stupid as that sounds.
Longtime Survivor casting director Lynne Spillman - who had been attached to the show since the very first season - was canned after CBS and the show's producers (aka Burnett and Probst) were displeased with how Seasons 37 & 38 turned out. Despite the fact that most of the recent grievances with the show are entirely to do with how over-produced the show has become with manufactured twists since Probst donned his producer's hat as opposed to any issue with the show's casting.

Conversely, if you're jaded with U.S. Survivor, I would highly encourage you to seek out the Australian version which has been a breath of fresh air by comparison.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
Definitely gonna look into the Australian version. I still love Jeff as a host but agreed 100% on the show changing somewhat since he became a producer. The golden era for me is still 9-20. Which I realize is a big chunk but I love every season in there and can rewatch them a million times over.

That's crazy they canned her. I'm pretty sentimental about things but I just couldn't imagine getting rid of a day one person.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
So is David Vs. Goliath the first season with this new casting person? Or will that be next season?

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
So is David Vs. Goliath the first season with this new casting person? Or will that be next season?

Not even. They film two at a time. So David and Goliath (37) and spring's season 38 are already completed and were cast by Lynn.

They're currently casting 39 and 40 with the new guy to start shooting in the Spring and air starting next Fall.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Not even. They film two at a time. So David and Goliath (37) and spring's season 38 are already completed and were cast by Lynn.

They're currently casting 39 and 40 with the new guy to start shooting in the Spring and air starting next Fall.

Two seasons from now, actually.

Oh, okay. Well I'll be curious to see that, for sure. You'd think the new person will want to prove themselves for the first time out.

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
Despite the fact that most of the recent grievances with the show are entirely to do with how over-produced the show has become with manufactured twists since Probst donned his producer's hat as opposed to any issue with the show's casting.
I agree with this. I think last season's cast could have been one of the best in ages. It just turned out to be a so-so season--because of voting order, production, gameplay, and/or luck. It happens.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
The MMA fighter isn't on the Goliath tribe? Must be about size and not athleticism.

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Show premieres TONIGHT. Last chance to join up for the ResetEra Survivor fantasy league. You can also make changes to your roster setup and starting players until about an hour before the season premieres tonight at 8 EST. Jesse, your team still needs to be filled out.

Check out the full classic style intro below that they no longer put into the show. Glad they at least still make them!

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Show premieres TONIGHT. Last chance to join up for the ResetEra Survivor fantasy league. You can also make changes to your roster setup and starting players until about an hour before the season premieres tonight at 8 EST. Jesse, your team still needs to be filled out.

Check out the full classic style intro below that they no longer put into the show. Glad they at least still make them!

Good intro! Also a relatively untouched version of the theme music.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Meant to join the fantasy league last year but forgot until it came on TV...will try to remember to set it after work. Regardless, will be rooting for Ned Schneebly all season.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
Joined the fantasy league and made my choices based purely off of who looked reasonable in their photo!

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Joined the fantasy league and made my choices based purely off of who looked reasonable in their photo!

That's pretty much how it goes. This isn't like organized sports fantasy. Even in an all-stars season, you can never really guess how anyone will fare. And even harder in an all-newbies season.

Thanks for joining up!

Smylie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
I haven't read much about this season, but I always look forward to more Survivor.

This will be my first time doing the fantasy league. Looks fun!

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got my team set up, let's go, gonna be a fun one. I think I have the edge, I based it not only off who looked reasonable, but also read like, part of some of the questions of some of the bios!
I'm guessing this is as well. CBS no longer does 2 seasons of Amazing Race like they do Survivor. If they want to pin it on lack of ratings, they're the ones that moved it from the Sunday night time slot to Friday nights. They even did one season where they put the show on at 10pm on Thursday.

Anyways, at least they didn't completely cancel the show.
It kills me how badly Amazing Race gets treated. TAR and The Mole were the highlights (along with Survivor, obviously) of the reality competition boom in the early 2000s. I can rewatch literally every season of TAR and be fascinated every time, even if it's gotten 'worse' over time for much the same reasons survivor has, it's still the most exciting and least producer interfered show of the bunch.

The Mole was simultaneously stupid and amazing and I miss it and Anderson Cooper as a game show host.

I just don't understand how these production companies/studios can't understand that a lot of the appeal of the early seasons of these shows were the character moments, and that when they throw too many twists and stupid shit in, it leaves 0 time for any of them.

Like, nobody remembers who did shit with immunity challenge Y, but we sure as shit remember John in Marquesas getting whats her name to pee on his hand, or Team Guido trying to physically prevent other teams from catching a plane in season 1 TAR.

Last edited: