• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Great episode and execution, but it ended up kind of anti-climactic because it was so telegraphed all season.

I got the dates wrong and was thinking tonight's episode was the two hour one.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I knew as soon as Dan found those idols that it'd be played against him, beautiful play indeed.

Also, next week should be interesting with what looks like some drama between the David's.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Man the Goliaths fucked this up. Keep whimping out on working with the davids, and now the davids are more united than ever despite the fact that they came into post-merge not working together well.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017

This week's Ponderosa on a different channel than the usual one I check.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I always hate the dumb sanctimonious attitude of "I can't go in the game and play different than who I am. I can't be the bad guy."

Oh shut up.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized that Christian actually commented in the Ponderosa video comments section. If that really is him.

UMIOv26.png

Oct 25, 2017
That was a good episode. While the result was expected, the flawless execution was a joy to watch. Not everything needs to be a complete shock to the audience.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
You know when they don't show anyones votes that shit is going down. Great episode once again.

I still not sure about the idol nullifier mechanic, when does Jeff pull out that from the urn? Is there any room for anyone playing an idol after that? If he had 2 idols, could he have saved himself with a 2nd one?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know when they don't show anyones votes that shit is going down. Great episode once again.

I still not sure about the idol nullifier mechanic, when does Jeff pull out that from the urn? Is there any room for anyone playing an idol after that? If he had 2 idols, could he have saved himself with a 2nd one?
Idol Nullifier is actually a bad mechanic because if it winds up in the hands of the majority it turns off a comeback mechanic.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I don't understand why dude would play the nullifier in secret and then brag about it afterwards. Unless that's how it's supposed to be played. Some peeps still in I thought for sure would be gone. Don't know names but the jacket lady specifically.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Idol Nullifier is actually a bad mechanic because if it winds up in the hands of the majority it turns off a comeback mechanic.
It only works if you have the numbers, yeah. I still think is very difficult to be used properly, but Dan is such a loud idiot.

I think it's ok if it gets into the game as early as it happened this season and isn't brought back into the game.

At the end of the day, Carl was in a very disadvantageous position when he got to Exile (you get back to a tribe were there is already abmajority and you are not part of it) so I can't get mad at it been given to balance things out a bit.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why dude would play the nullifier in secret and then brag about it afterwards. Unless that's how it's supposed to be played. Some peeps still in I thought for sure would be gone. Don't know names but the jacket lady specifically.
It'a a balance between getting trust from your alliance + building a resume for the jury against getting a bigger target.

Edit: Sorry for double post, thought I was editing.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Now that the Nullifier exists, it should put more emphasis on never revealing to anybody that they own an immunity idol. When that guaranteed immunity is no longer a guarantee, secrecy becomes much more important than sharing that info with alliance members. That's the only hope to nullify the nullifier.

Knightywing

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Enjoyable episode, but the whole "Survivor-resume", "big moves" and "no need to be bitter" that some of the contestants said this episode gave me horrible flashbacks from Mill vs. Gen X, and there is nothing I want of less than Mill vs. Gen X.

I really want the Goliaths / a Goliath to come out on top because I don't really find the Davids all that good/fun. There is this sense of entitlement coming from the Davids, and a bit of that "poor us" attitude, which kind of irks me. Also, it doesn't help the Davids case that the Goliaths are great, both as a tribe and individuals. If there is one thing I love about my alliances, it is that they are dysfunctional and a hot mess.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
Hah that was epic, almost like the theme of the season is matching up with what's happening. In any case, this has slowly but surely turned into a great season.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Survivor Resume is bullshit. Its a popularity contest at the end.
Mmm, I don't really believe that. I think it's a middle ground between the two. You need to be well liked enough to be respected, but like people like Parvati don't win because she made best friends with the entire jury. It depends on the cast and the people around you, and you're ability to read them and how they'll prioritize their vote, but there are absolutely people who'll vote for the best played game.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mmm, I don't really believe that. I think it's a middle ground between the two. You need to be well liked enough to be respected, but like people like Parvati don't win because she made best friends with the entire jury. It depends on the cast and the people around you, and you're ability to read them and how they'll prioritize their vote, but there are absolutely people who'll vote for the best played game.
Yeah but thats subjective. Look at MvGX.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's VERY cast dependent or seson mood. Certain combination of people early in the jury can make or break your game.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I think having a resume depends on who the player is. If a popular player is at the end, they really don't have to have done much. If the person isn't so popular and they didn't do anything, they just have no chance.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the notion that it's now become defacto called "a resume" is the only thing that annoys me. It makes people think they have to make stupid risky moves. No, it just means you need to be able to explain what you did that deservedly got you forward. And the phrase itself is just annoying and dumb. But, the concept is solid.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Idol nullifiers just seem wrong. I'd be steaming if that had happened to me.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
How long until a challenge immunity nullifier emerges and leaves a person shook /s

Pretty fun season so far.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Idol nullifiers just seem wrong. I'd be steaming if that had happened to me.

I feel like it's just to put it in there to make people afraid of disclosing they have an idol. Once that's out of the way it will either be gone or won't matter.

It is kind of screwed up as there is no real way to work against it, but you put yourself in that position in a way.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
When you find the idol, rebury it somewhere, and DON'T TELL ANYONE ABOUT IT

Oct 25, 2017
Don't let anyone know about the idol or any advantage until it's needed to properly formulate strategy. The Davids getting everything out on the table in this episode made sense because they needed to figure out what they're play was with the tools they had. But unless you're in a spot like that, just keep it to yourself until you need it.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
This has been an awesome season. Other than Angelina, I don't think there's anyone that I wouldn't want to win right now. Maybe Gabby. I wanted to like her, but her emotional instability kind of drives me crazy.

Kinglypuff

Nov 13, 2018
I've been kind of burnt out on Survivor as the past few seasons have ranged from mediocre to bad, and I even skipped most of Ghost Island which was incredibely boring (after hating HHH's obvious riggathon for Ben).
But after hearing everyone praising this season, I finally decided to watch it, and damn if it isn't a return to form !

I particularly love Angelina. She is the perfect villain and although she has no chance of winning I want to see her go as far as possible. As for the win, I kind of love everyone, maybe Gabby ? I'd also like to see more of Alison too.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Here's my question.

If Dan didn't blow his idol on Angelina, after having his idol nullified, could he have then chosen to play his other idol to re-up his immunity?

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Here's my question.

If Dan didn't blow his idol on Angelina, after having his idol nullified, could he have then chosen to play his other idol to re-up his immunity?

RHAP seemed to think he might have gotten away with it if he just pulled it out and went with it. It was up in the air if they actually would have let it happen, but if he actually tried Jeff and the Producers probably would have liked the craziness of it and allowed it.

Nov 1, 2017
I'm ok with idol nullifiers since you have to successfully predict who has an idol and when they're gonna use it and a good player would theoretically keep that info to themselves. Reason #8378 that you shouldn't tell other people that you have an idol.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RHAP seemed to think he might have gotten away with it if he just pulled it out and went with it. It was up in the air if they actually would have let it happen, but if he actually tried Jeff and the Producers probably would have liked the craziness of it and allowed it.
I don't think he'd have the chance unless he played BOTH on himself pre-vote.

The Nullifier doesn't get revealed until the votes start being read I think- Jeff just went ahead and did it because he knew Christian had no intention of playing his.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017

The Nullifier doesn't get revealed until the votes start being read I think- Jeff just went ahead and did it because he knew Christian had no intention of playing his.

Yeah, I wouldn't think he'd be able to either just because of how he then moves on to the vote right after. But I figured they would have a little more inside thought process. They may not actually think it's likely or anything, they just seemed to think it was possibility if they liked how it happened.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017

Well, the nullifier was kept with the votes, but only revealed immediately after Dan played his idol. It's not clear to me that we weren't still in the "idol playing time" just because Jeff had opened the urn.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, the nullifier was kept with the votes, but only revealed immediately after Dan played his idol. It's not clear to me that we weren't still in the "idol playing time" just because Jeff had opened the urn.
Yeah, the situation being so cut/dry from a production standpoint w/ how the Davids were organized and the lack of any other Goliath Idols makes it unclear.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That Tai and Scot moment is still one of my favorite moments from a more recent season, I'll never get tired of seeing the looks on Scot and Jason's faces.