• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
HFPKqjf.png

Come on in, guys!

It's that time again. Twice a year, 16-20 Americans hit the beach for 39 days and test their bodies and minds as they compete in challenges and vote each other out with the goal of taking home the title of "Sole Survivor" and the $1,000,000 prize.

On Wednesday, February 20th, 14 new castaways and 4 "All-Stars" (returning players) will hit the beaches of Fiji in an attempt to outwit, outplay, and outlast each other using whatever means necessary to sit there at the end for a chance to win it all.

BUT - this time, there's a twist. And it COULD be game-breaking. It's so central to the season, I'm putting it here. When you're voted out, you're presented with a choice. After Probst snuffs a torch, the eliminated castaway will walk down a path and reach a fork in the road. They can choose to end their time on Survivor (and realistically their chance at ever returning in a future season), or they can keep hope alive and make their way to the "Edge of Extinction", a barebones island where eliminated contestants who make this choice will pile up and have nothing to do, as well as extremely limited supplies. It hasn't been fully explained pre-season, but it's speculated that there will be a chance at the merge and a chance in the finale episode for a player to return into the game for another shot at winning. Anyone who is still on Extinction come merge will apparently make the jury. This implies that conceivably, this could be the first season where someone eliminated first on day 3 COULD be a Final Tribal Council finalist with every eliminated contestant (15 people) on the jury having a say in who wins the money and the title of Sole Survivor. So basically, the season twist is the Outcasts Twist from Pearl Islands meets Exile Island meets Redemption Island. And it was very likely created to hand the win to Joey Amazing. :)

2jcr2MF.png

Join us! Once again, you can claim the title of SOLE SurvivERA. Join our uncapped custom league by signing up for free (using your username so we know who's who) at Tribal-Council.com. Click "Join Private League" when you first login and enter the league code: 74bc35a3965a750f

For those new to this - pick any 8 people right away and click save changes. Then on the next step, choose which 5 are starting (earning points) and which 3 are benched. You can keep changing your picks and who is starting until about an hour before the season starts. Better to have picks you don't like then forgetting to sign back in and pick no one at all. The website has a rules category so you can see how points are earned and lost, but honestly - no way to really know how anyone is going to do pre-season. Especially with this new twist in play. You're mostly just picking faces/personalities that you vibe with.

ktTTewe.png

Being that I've chosen to not consider the season's central theme a twist, there are currently no other unknown twists in the mix. While this isn't Big Brother, always expect the unexpected.

QmWXP4J.png

NwXvvre.png

uP27SK1.png

ciQHhnI.png

11EeYOL.png

i6hhMYR.png

74lDZsW.png

15tspqQ.png

x3o22A6.png

9tqnllP.png

eeCc68k.png

coSfSvX.png

KLl3Led.png

2zyU0KQ.png

rGQWonp.png

KG16273.png

2G4nmPj.png

vBLVt5I.png

V3lz3x1.png

TeAKDtq.png

BqWem7t.png

SSCHIDu.png

Survivor 37: David vs. Goliath |OT| Let's Get Biblical
Survivor 36: Ghost Island |OT| Who names their kid Donathan?
Survivor 35: Heroes vs. Healers vs. Hustlers |OT| Hey look at this octopus

That's it. Got nothin' for ya. Head Back to camp!

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Not excited for this season at all.

Still gonna watch because I can't help myself. Let's hope it's not Ghost Island II!

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
The last time I was this ho-hum about Survivor returning was David vs. Goliath, and we all know how that turned out so I'll stay optimistic. But I've avoided all of the usual RHAP-related publicity this time around, I was just burnt out on it.

They should have learned with DvG (actually way back with HvV) that longer premieres allow the audience to get to know the castaways better and typically result in a more evenly-paced season.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest and say I don't have much hope for this season, but I am still curious nonetheless.

I always am for a new Survivor season.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The general vibe around this season has been rather gloomy, so am tempering my expectations. However, the last time I got weird vibes before a season was Kaoh Rong (with the curious lack of Jeff Probst hype), so maybe this will be awesome.

Not sure about Joe's mustache. The close-up picture it looks kind of bad, but the tribe photo where you can see all his hair, it works better. I will need to ask my mom, she loves Joe.

taro

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched the last 3 seasons for various reasons. The last season I watched was actually Australian Survivor S3 which was fantastic. I think I'm jumping back in this season as I have more time. Plus, I liked David and Aubrey from previous seasons.

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't watched the last 3 seasons for various reasons. The last season I watched was actually Australian Survivor S3 which was fantastic. I think I'm jumping back in this season as I have more time. Plus, I liked David and Aubrey from previous seasons.

FWIW, David vs Goliath (which was the same basic theme as AU3) was even better than that season. Most anyone who watched both would agree, so you should go back and check it out if you have the opportunity. And I loved AU3 also by the way!

taro

Oct 25, 2017
FWIW, David vs Goliath (which was the same basic theme as AU3) was even better than that season. Most anyone who watched both would agree, so you should go back and check it out if you have the opportunity. And I loved AU3 also by the way!
Right on, I appreciate the tip! I know nothing about the last 3 seasons except that John Morrison/Mundo/Impact the wrestler was on the latest one I believe. I'll definitely want to catch up at some point especially knowing one of them is a quality season.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
Everything about the setup of this season seems bad but I'm cautiously optimistic that we might get some good Survivor out of it.

Maybe i'm just riding the wave of last season being so good. I like the crop of returnees well enough at least!

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy about being able to redraft!

Last season I would have redrafted Dan out of my roster so fast.

Was just going to say.. I just found out about this last night.

Per the new rule, after tonight's episode and when the fantasy site unlocks, everyone will have until before next week's episode to redraft up to all of their players. Sort of a free pass if you have the first person voted out, real duds, etc.

There will apparently also be redrafts any time there's a swap and at the merge. Possibly more TBD after the merge based on how the EoE twist works.

I'll remind people in this thread a few times throughout the weeks where this occurs so people have the best chance of remembering they have the chance to redraft.

And that said.. the time to sign up for fantasy and draft is NOW! Site should lock about an hour before the episode, but don't quote me on that!

PS.. TheYanger .. you need to complete your draft! Team is empty right now. Per the above, you can redraft after the first episode airs and you get a better sense of the people playing so you're not stuck with anyone if that's your hesitation.

Oct 27, 2017
I just wanted to chime in as someone who watched the first seasons of Survivor and then a smattering after that and hasn't since. I am actually very interested in this if the extinction island area involves a struggle to get food, shelter, etc. Part of why I stopped watching the show was the slow switch from survival-based stuff (catching fish, making shelter, etc) to basically Big Brother on an island, with almost no coverage of the actual challenge of living there. Yes, drama can be fun, but there were literally some seasons where they were given tools and supplies to build a shelter from a crate.

I am probably an extreme minority in this respect, but I really enjoy watching the survival-amazing people like Ozzy over the drama-crazed attention seeker villains, so I might give this a chance!

Oct 28, 2017

Per the new rule, after tonight's episode and when the fantasy site unlocks, everyone will have until before next week's episode to redraft up to all of their players. Sort of a free pass if you have the first person voted out, real duds, etc.

There will apparently also be redrafts any time there's a swap and at the merge. Possibly more TBD after the merge based on how the EoE twist works.

I'll remind people in this thread a few times throughout the weeks where this occurs so people have the best chance of remembering they have the chance to redraft.

And that said.. the time to sign up for fantasy and draft is NOW! Site should lock about an hour before the episode, but don't quote me on that!

PS.. TheYanger .. you need to complete your draft! Team is empty right now. Per the above, you can redraft after the first episode airs and you get a better sense of the people playing so you're not stuck with anyone if that's your hesitation.

This is fantastic. I'll still try to watch the intro videos for this week but it's good to know I'm not down and out if things don't go well the first few weeks. This is what that site desperately needed to keep players engaged.

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
I just wanted to chime in as someone who watched the first seasons of Survivor and then a smattering after that and hasn't since. I am actually very interested in this if the extinction island area involves a struggle to get food, shelter, etc. Part of why I stopped watching the show was the slow switch from survival-based stuff (catching fish, making shelter, etc) to basically Big Brother on an island, with almost no coverage of the actual challenge of living there. Yes, drama can be fun, but there were literally some seasons where they were given tools and supplies to build a shelter from a crate.

I am probably an extreme minority in this respect, but I really enjoy watching the survival-amazing people like Ozzy over the drama-crazed attention seeker villains, so I might give this a chance!

Love this. Superfans get so caught up in the minutia of the twist, we look past aspects of how it can really bring the show in some ways back to its roots. From the production side of things, they eased up on the struggle that survival posed on their contestants because it typically produced people with no energy that in some of those earlier seasons were unable to produce edge of your seat reality moments. As far as I understand anyway. When players like Rob C. in The Amazon started really developing strategies that then continued to evolve the way the game was played, production started to skew things in that direction as you can (in their minds) only be entertained watching people waste away and suffer non-stop so many times.

I'm excited for this aspect to return as well and hope it pays off in the way you're hoping for.

Last edited:

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I'll get it done before work today :D I've been lazy on watching the cast videos so I didn't want to draft blindly
Can't believe my wife and I have been watching this religiously since Season 1. Still our favourite reality show ever!
Yep. idk if it's really my favorite, but I mean still haven't missed an episode in 19 years so it's doing something right.

Last edited:

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
ALRIGHT THIS IS GONNA BE SUCH A BAD SEASON LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOO

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
Joe gets to do all of the individual portions of this tribe challenge. That doesn't seem fair.

For these multi-part challenges, they should make it where you can only use 1 person to complete said part, and then for each other part it has to be someone else.

It's not fun seeing 1 person run right through each part of the challenge for their respective team.