• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm always perplexed at folks going on this show and seemingly not prepping their swimming. His ring tosses were also rough
I thought the ring toss was gonna be his big moment and that he is skilled at it and at least would get close. The tosses were terrible. And it's not that he is a slow swimmer, its that he can't swim at all. Like you said, why not prep? Lol

I remember a gif of someone else who was bad at swimming sliding down a ramp into water and having trouble. Given how many water challenges there are, the amount of people who are really bad swimmers is too high haha

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
How hilarious would it be if Keith checks out and Reem decides to raise the flag for the boat with nobody else showing up to join her?

(Neither of these things will happen. But it would be funny.)

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is completely unfair because it is not his fault and I am basing this on where he's from, but I am going to be annoyed if Gavin wins the game. We just had Nick win the game with the aw shucks strategy, I would like to see a different type of successful strategy.

He does have a cool shirt, though.

How hilarious would it be if Keith checks out and Reem decides to raise the flag for the boat with nobody else showing up to join her?

What we need is for no one to ever join her, every episode ends with a Reem quote, and then she comes back and wins the game. It would be iconic.

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
I wrote about it and tweeted about it, but that ending really was chickenshit. Survivor is above this cliffhanger cowardice that lesser reality shows thrive in.

This isn't The Challenge. Well, this season might be at that tier.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
This is completely unfair because it is not his fault and I am basing this on where he's from, but I am going to be annoyed if Gavin wins the game. We just had Nick win the game with the aw shucks strategy, I would like to see a different type of successful strategy.

As much as I railed against the show for canning Lynne Spillman initially, I've been getting such bad initial vibes from this cast compared to recent seasons that I might be turning around on the idea. And yes, a Gavin win would be horrendous unless his game makes a drastic turn from Nick's.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I railed against the show for canning Lynne Spillman initially, I've been getting such bad initial vibes from this cast compared to recent seasons that I might be turning around on the idea. And yes, a Gavin win would be horrendous unless his game makes a drastic turn from Nick's.
The first episode was so f'ing weird and meta with the gigantic number of superfans. Apparently the returnees were an emergency late call due to unhappiness with the prospective cast during S38 casting.

DvG 's casting was heavily done directly by producers due to the Goliath tribe, and their discovery that Angelina (re-discovered by a producer via facebook cause she's college friends with Adam Klein when they were looking to fill the theme out) was cut by Lynne's team when she applied the normal way because "we don't cast married women in their 20s" makes me not blame them one bit for jettisoning Lynne's team and doing it themselves.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

This was a super ominous episode in general. They basically dragged Aubry tonight regarding how she tries to play the social game, and the Kelley Wentworth 3.0 experience has been a rocky ride. On the plus side of things, it looks like they got around to casting more self-aware newbies, knowing how much they were in danger when they saw the returnees. It's easy to roll our eyes at Tony Vlachos #3, but Wardog does have really good logical game sense about him. At least I can kinda differentiate him from Tony and Joe Mena. All Gavin has is his shirt so far.

The best part of the episode for me was Julie and Victoria's little discussion about the idol search. After the Angelina breakdown and now this discussion of women versus men, the show is getting much more self-aware about its tropes. The Kama Tribe has a really interesting group of women, currently hoping they can make a run at it.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
DvG 's casting was heavily done directly by producers due to the Goliath tribe, and their discovery that Angelina (re-discovered by a producer via facebook cause she's college friends with Adam Klein when they were looking to fill the theme out) was cut by Lynne's team when she applied the normal way because "we don't cast married women in their 20s" makes me not blame them one bit for jettisoning Lynne's team and doing it themselves.
That's such a narrow and obtuse limitation to impose on yourself... especially when there are undoubtedly countless players with limitless potential in their 20s that could contribute unique stories and experiences to the show. Hell, we've seen many such women flourish on Australian Survivor in recent years. This isn't Temptation Island... or even Big Brother for that matter.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's such a narrow and obtuse limitation to impose on yourself... especially when there are undoubtedly countless players with limitless potential in their 20s that could contribute unique stories and experiences to the show. Hell, we've seen many such women flourish on Australian Survivor in recent years. This isn't Temptation Island... or even Big Brother for that matter.
When all the casting people are good looking people in their 20s you get what you pay for.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why you would go on Survivor with none (or at least little) knowledge of swimming. So, sorry Keith...I guess.

Honestly, I was thinking the same. I don't mind Gavin but I don't want him to win or get close to winning.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't they pick people BECAUSE they can't swim since it can make for a good story if the person can overcome it?

Like, I don't see why someone who can't swim would want to be on the show but people have their reasons.....

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
That was a boring episode

They made the right choice at the end, sending Keith home. He was a liability to his tribe and not only needed to be helped during that challenge, but also didn't help pull the snake up out of the cage at one point. He just clung to the cage and watched. The tribe needed to move on from him.

He seemed like a nice guy, but why wouldn't he have worked on his swimming before coming on the show? He shouldn't have been cast being such a poor swimmer.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
Seriously get fucked kieth, get casted, don't learn how to swim, single handedly put your team in a huge hole, making a dumbass snarky comment, now friggin pacing back and forth about continuing to play? Seriously, just fucking go home and don't even show up at reunion

He was good for one thing, when they were dragging the snake under the sticks, this dude was rolling under pretending to help drag the snake with his arms all stretched out and barely touching it, it was one of the funniest things I've seen on this show in a long time

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I'm late, but I've seen the first two episodes now. Reem didn't seem that bad to me personality-wise....? Keith was worthless though, I noticed him not dragging the snake too.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't catch that about Keith not dragging the snake. Lol. He really should just go home instead of continuing. He doesn't really seem to care at all. But Extinction Island could get a story with him learning how to swim with the help of Reem.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I'm already tired of Reem and Keith.

Well, I'm not really tired of them, but more tired of the editing's attempt at a story with them. I think I'm mostly tired of Extinction Island already.

Last edited:

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Actually, after last night I'm kinda glad it wasn't a 2 hour premier.

I know not everyone can be winners, but the people casting the show missed the mark with the first two voted off.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Keith should just go home.
Here I was hoping he would be a surprise good player, or atleast good at something....nope legit just a hopeless player.
How they heck did he make it through casting.

Come on Survivor do us better, theres gotta be more people fiending to get on this show who could have done a better job than this.
pathetic.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Um the tribal music during voting and stuff SLAPS this season

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My pvr stopped recording while Keith was deciding what to do!! Did it show his decision?

Getting to it right now. It's an ad and then the next episode teaser. As of credits though he was just blabbing about waiting for God to give him a sign. Billions of people don't have access to clean water but God is going to help you on a game show.

Will edit in two seconds with any update

Edit: Um, IDK? The next week teaser shows Reem saying "damn been three days and I'm alone, might have to raise the flag if no one shows up."

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Getting to it right now. It's an ad and then the next episode teaser. As of credits though he was just blabbing about waiting for God to give him a sign. Billions of people don't have access to clean water but God is going to help you on a game show.

Will edit in two seconds with any update

Edit: Um, IDK? The next week teaser shows Reem saying "damn been three days and I'm alone, might have to raise the flag if no one shows up."

That wasn't a teaser, that was just adding to the cliffhanger. It was just showing her that night wondering if someone is coming. Seems like a weird decision but they're leaving it to be a cliff hanger for some reason.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
That wasn't a teaser, that was just adding to the cliffhanger. It was just showing her that night wondering if someone is coming. Seems like a weird decision but they're leaving it to be a cliff hanger for some reason.
It's the first time someone didn't immediately decide to go to the Edge of Extinction, they're going to milk it for all it's worth.

Oct 25, 2017
I assume Keith must have decided to go because we would have seen his parting words otherwise, but still it's kind of a dumb cliffhanger.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
Did Keith not saying he started learning to swim once he found out he got on the show?

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Um the tribal music during voting and stuff SLAPS this season

YES! Remember thinking this during the episode. Also, I need to go back and check it out, but during Reem's IOE segment at the beginning of episode 2, the music sounded like a throwback to early seasons background music? Evoked the survival aspect in my mind. (Could be wrong about this, but that was my fleeting thought while watching lol)

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah but I thought he said that he'd started learning just after finding out he'd be on.

Aside from the swimming, which as a viewer I don't really care either way about, it's not my tribe, but as soon as players start 'leaving it up to God' I'm fully checked out on them.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the editors only did the dumb cliffhanger ending because they saw how over dramatic Keith was being and decided to run with it. I don't think anyone would have directed him to go for the torch then stop short, so maybe they just saw that and were like "yeah, there's an easy win here".

Obviously it's not much of a cliffhanger, because he's absolutely going to take the torch, and it's too early in the game and too weak a character to care either way, but I can see why they went that route.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
I think the cliffhanger is maybe there because he doesn't take the torch?

It would be soooo anticlimatic to end the 2nd episode with someone giving up on the show and on the main twist. It would also match with the decission of firing the one in charge of the casting. The fact that the guy is even doubting there shows that he is not cut for the show at all.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
I think the cliffhanger is there because Reem sees Keith coming and raises the flag then lol

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
went to see if i could make any adjustments to my team at tribal-council. it has keith as "out of game" while reem is still listed as "extinction island"