• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh no, we got the Survivor All Stars tribe swap. That means Wendy somehow wins this season now, right?

Was hoping we would get to see Joe or Aubry find new life away from that giant newbie alliance, but the swap really did them little favors. The previews for next week suggests maybe she can wriggle out of it, but I'll believe Victoria when I see it. It's funny how Aubry keeps ending up with these players who love the chickens so much.

Rick really got swap-screwed. They carried Wendy through 3 votes, just to give themselves more options... And then she swaps away and he's stuck being down 2-3. Blech. That's super unlucky.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Wendy would have just released them again. Lol.

It's kind of hilarious how they just kind of all accepted their fate. "Guess the chickens are gone.... oh there they are :/..."

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
Oh no, we got the Survivor All Stars tribe swap. That means Wendy somehow wins this season now, right?

Was hoping we would get to see Joe or Aubry find new life away from that giant newbie alliance, but the swap really did them little favors. The previews for next week suggests maybe she can wriggle out of it, but I'll believe Victoria when I see it. It's funny how Aubry keeps ending up with these players who love the chickens so much.

Rick really got swap-screwed. They carried Wendy through 3 votes, just to give themselves more options... And then she swaps away and he's stuck being down 2-3. Blech. That's super unlucky.

Nah, he had the chance to vote out Kelly in episode 3. Voting out Chris was a mistake that cost him and will cost David. Also, trusting someone that refers to themselves in the 3rd person is always a mistake.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, he had the chance to vote out Kelly in episode 3. Voting out Chris was a mistake that cost him and will cost David. Also, trusting someone that refers to themselves in the 3rd person is always a mistake.

That's a results-oriented way to look at it, though. The Manu tribe were down in numbers, the most likely scenario where Rick goes this episode would be at the hands of the old Kama tribe, not because Kelley turns on him. This was one of the rare numbers scenarios that forces Kelley to turn on Rick in this episode. If they swap Rick/Kelley/Wardog + 2 Kamas, Rick is probably safe. It's just 1 Kama there, Rick is probably safe. If he swaps to a tribe of Rick/Kelley + 3 Kamas, he is in danger because of the other tribe, but there are scenarios where either he and Kelley flip someone (maybe Aubry/Joe/Aurora is there?), the Kamas divide, or the Kamas vote out Kelley. This was a perfect storm of Kelley being forced to turn on Rick AND Rick not having anyone available to flip to his side.

Voting out Kelley before a swap carries a lot of risk because it alienates Lauren and Wardog. And, already being down in tribal numbers, it creates 2 more loose ends that creates bad swaps for Rick. We saw in Cagayan, for example, the Beauty Tribe pissed off Morgan, and then she gets Alexis out after the swap. Those fractured tribes always become a problem at the swap... The history of that goes all the way back to Survivor Africa. The safer short-term plan was to try to unify Manu and then pray to god that he gets a favorable swap.

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the game would benefit a lot from one of the episodes forcing both tribes to vote a player out. Several of the past couple seasons have been terrible in large part because one of the tribes never lost any challenges before the Tribe shuffle, then got a majority on all of the newly formed teams and voted off the smaller tribe up until there's only 1-2 left. I think that not going to tribal lulls people into a false sense of security and causes people to not realize that they're actually on the bottom of their tribe. Even just one tribal goes a long way in drawing lines in the sand and showing players that they're not in a good spot in their old tribe and should be looking elsewhere for alliances. It's also frustrating seeing awful players staying around most of the season because they were on the winning team and then later not getting voted out because there's bigger threats in the game.

Also Wendy and the chickens is going to ruin her game. If she didn't do that I feel like she would have had an easy ride to the final 3. She appears very non-threatening, she doesn't seem to be involved at all in terms of voting, and she's generally pleasant enough to be around that no one would really want to vote her out. And if she was a vegetarian/vegan in her normal life I could understand her strong objections with killing the chickens, but she's not. The island is not that big, they're probably going to find the chickens again in a couple days anyway even if they're not looking for them and then they're just going to immediately kill them because they know Wendy is going to try to let them out again. It's really frustrating knowing that usually players are struggling to stay in the game and literally the only thing that she seems to care about is the chickens despite not having any objections with killing and eating chickens in her normal life.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
That was one of the better episodes so far. Rick was the obvious choice to be voted out and the best one, though he seemed like a nice guy and it was a sad tribal.

Wendy is an idiot.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
woof, this is our punishment for how good DvG was
I'm treating DvG as a fluke that turned out to be a happy accident of US Survivor greatness and now we're back to the new normal. I'll still, gladly, take Australian Survivor's normal over this show in its current state. Perhaps the casting shakeup prior to Season 39 will improve things. Perhaps it won't.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tbh I want Wendy to win

She has the narrative whether you like it or not

---

Also I wasn't paying attention all season and apparently Wardog is like a Mensa genius lol

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
I'm treating DvG as a fluke that turned out to be a happy accident of US Survivor greatness and now we're back to the new normal. I'll still, gladly, take Australian Survivor's normal over this show in its current state. Perhaps the casting shakeup prior to Season 39 will improve things. Perhaps it won't.
Hopefully DvG will end up being like Philippines in that it's in the middle of several middling to bad seasons before a run of good seasons.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this season is an odd one. Even the tribe swap was underwhelming. This can potantially get way worse too, so we'll see.

I'm still intrigued about the twist, do we have confirmation that Edge of Extinction stays up even after merge? We have discussed about how stupid would be getting someone on F3 that was voted off on the first week, but what about the jury? I think someone said before that the jury was going to include everyone that stays on edge of extinction... but it coud potentially be people that only stayed in the game for 3 days and that knows no one in the Final 3.

Just the thought of this season even getting worse...

On the flip side, yeah, this trainwreck lead to the change in casting and the new team maybe brings some freshness back, and also opening the pool for Canadians opens up a potentially better cast.

I think they should also keep an eye on Australian Survivior (and other versions of Survivor) contestants, although I don't know of the legal headache that could be.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Wendy is clearly playing to the camera/audience with this whole chicken saga.

If she was genuinely concerned with the welfare of chickens then her concern would manifest outside of the times when she is being filmed for a reality TV show.

I think that something like this was bound to happen ever since Sia handed Tai $50k for being nice to the chickens. Aus survivor also had a similar chicken saga. Wendy has probably equated being nice to chickens with a positive edit and instant audience adulation.

Hilarious to see her plan backfire, with the edit frequently highlighting her hypocrisy.

Oct 25, 2017
Sad to see Rick voted out over Lauren. I hope that he can get back in it, because I really like him a lot.

Wendy remains a complete delight.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Is it weird that Island of Extinction is more entertaining to me than any of the game proper?

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Actually not really. It's a bunch of people being giant shits to each other because they are starving and literally have nothing else to do.
It's not even that. It's more about the familial aspect. The weird koombayah that's coming from all needing to work together without the stress of strategy or a vote, but simply from surviving until some random challenge some time down the road.

I'm going to hate Extinction Island the second people actively try and make each other quit. That shit would be horrendous.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'll come out and say I've been enjoying the season so far. The Edge of Extinction thing is at least executed better than Redemption Island, where in that season it felt like it took all the wind out of tribal council and made the beginning of every episode the climatic departure, which was weird. Here, it still feels more like classic Survivor with a twist. Though I don't know if it's really been especially interesting either. I'm guessing we'll have to wait for the merge until we know how someone gets back in.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
Have they shown what The Edge of Extinction is yet (like.. out of the show), or are we still waiting to see what they're doing with all the people there? They're going to have to kick out a lot of people for good unless they start doing something soon.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Have they shown what The Edge of Extinction is yet (like.. out of the show), or are we still waiting to see what they're doing with all the people there? They're going to have to kick out a lot of people for good unless they start doing something soon.
I mean, it kinda has to just be an eventual competition to rejoin the game, right? There's nothing else it can be. It's essentially redemption island that's more brutal for them, and more boring for us

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
I can't help but feel like if the chickens incident didn't happen, we'd have two episodes of the most manufactured drama possible.

I am pretty down on the season so far but am still interested in its potential future. So much of what we're seeing now is setting up an explosive post-merge, but I'm not sure if it will be enough to make up for the fact that we could have a winner who was voted out of the game.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping people are voted back in, like the Outcast twist.
A vote would be quite cool, but the returnee has to get back to the game with an advantage or HII, right?

The best thing from this season is probably going to be the reaction when everyone in the game sees all those people getting a chance to get back.

Oct 28, 2017
I think this season is better than I expected so far. It's not great, but there are some great people here and the potential is there. It's too bad Kama is just too good.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I think this season is better than I expected so far. It's not great, but there are some great people here and the potential is there. It's too bad Kama is just too good.

I would honestly say this season has pretty good casting, it's just a mix of a bad gimmick mixed with some weird luck that has made it pretty boring. Decent casting with bad production choices make for a meh season.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm surprisingly enjoying this season more than I thought I would. It's not amazing, but it's been pretty solid so far in spite of everything.

Oct 28, 2017
I would honestly say this season has pretty good casting, it's just a mix of a bad gimmick mixed with some weird luck that has made it pretty boring. Decent casting with bad production choices make for a meh season.

Yeah. I guess I just think we've had much worse recently. If the whole season is like this, yeah that'll be bad in the end. I think the judgment against the gimmick is a bit premature. I'll agree it's likely awful, but we don't know yet how they're going to play it so I'm of the mind to at least give them a chance to fly before telling them they've failed.

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys - just wanted to update you all. Been going back and forth with the admins over at the fantasy site, and can now confirm that REDRAFTING IS BACK UP.

It's a double boot this week, so make sure to take a minute ASAP to see if you want to swap any duds off your teams while you still have time. Make sure to save changes!!

Oct 28, 2017
I'm gonna bet on a double Lesu loss. Because they just can't win. I don't even know who half of these people are. Super worried the second half of this season will suck.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Yep a challenge where everyone needs to get a point on the board is cool. David getting torn into right now in that confessional lmao

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
That was kind of a dick move shoving him down like that.
It was. I'm also mad at Keith for being an idiot was didn't start a hard sprint after he was out of eyesight. Not too shocking given he had no clue about the map either. It didn't even pay off for him in any way. Now people are upset with him and he didn't even get the stuff. I thought it was going to be if you reach this point you are automatically back in the game or something.