• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Well, that was entertaining. This season has picked up these last two weeks.
Curious to see what direction Island of the Idols takes in the post-merge.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reddit consensus is that Rob/Sandra are probably on the jury, and I'd agree w/ that. Otherwise no other reason to do it unless there's a "boot a juror" advantage at IoI later on.

Is this the best pre-merge in Survivor history ever? Cause it's gotta be up there.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Another great episode. Seeing some second-level Survivor strategy here, which is really nice to see, especially for the pre-merge. The Kellee/Dean alliance has been pretty dangerous, since it is pretty well camouflaged.

I don't understand why Noura was the 2nd Jack vote, though? Jamal seemed to think the minority votes (or at least Dean's) were going toward Noura during the dudes' discussion. All of old-Vokai + Karishma were supposedly going to vote Dean, both Noura and Jack included. I don't get why Noura switched. Did Noura actually view the alliance as the 4 ladies without Jack and Jamal? Or did Kellee tell her to do it? Whole thing is weird.

Survivor 39: Let's Talk About Serious Social Issues

Kinda bummed that they're about to merge, pretty sure New Lairo was going to tackle all of America's systemic issues if we let them keep meeting together.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another great episode. Seeing some second-level Survivor strategy here, which is really nice to see, especially for the pre-merge. The Kellee/Dean alliance has been pretty dangerous, since it is pretty well camouflaged.

I don't understand why Noura was the 2nd Jack vote, though? Jamal seemed to think the minority votes (or at least Dean's) were going toward Noura during the dudes' discussion. All of old-Vokai + Karishma were supposedly going to vote Dean, both Noura and Jack included. I don't get why Noura switched. Did Noura actually view the alliance as the 4 ladies without Jack and Jamal? Or did Kellee tell her to do it? Whole thing is weird.

Kinda bummed that they're about to merge, pretty sure New Lairo was going to tackle all of America's systemic issues if we let them keep meeting together.
Noura can sell her vote as self-preservation in case she was Dean's target and he had an Idol that coincidentally lined up w/ Dean's decision.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017

Kellee said she was going to tell Noura maybe Dean has an idol so maybe throw a vote on Jamal. Turns out it was for Jack. They never showed this convo though in the show but I assume they talked. Not sure why Kellee's plan needed 2 votes on Jack instead of just Dean's vote to get rid of Jack.

Hope Kellee wins, she my favourite.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kellee said she was going to tell Noura maybe Dean has an idol so maybe throw a vote on Jamal. Turns out it was for Jack. They never showed this convo though in the show but I assume they talked. Not sure why Kellee's plan needed 2 votes on Jack instead of just Dean's vote to get rid of Jack.

Kellee was making sure that she and Noura were covered if Dean decided to try and go with the guys in response to getting the Idol by making the worst case scenario a potential 5-1-1 instead of a 6-1 where they had no power.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Ah, I must've missed that. Did she say that in her "inspiration" confessional? I admit, once I got the general gist of her concept, I didn't listen as closely on the individual details. Yeah, this (and Kirblar's explanation) has got to be the reasoning. If Jamal wasn't aware of the machinations, then the whole thing has to be dependent on the Kellee-Noura connection safeguarding the votes.

It's still a bit on the "fancy" side to rope in Noura when Kellee could've cast the vote herself. I know it gives her deniability that she didn't do it, but she's also relying on Noura and Dean to not spill the beans on her manipulations. It makes some sense to build alliances by doing it this way, I just don't have a lot of confidence in Noura and Dean as reliable allies.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Reddit consensus is that Rob/Sandra are probably on the jury, and I'd agree w/ that. Otherwise no other reason to do it unless there's a "boot a juror" advantage at IoI later on.

Is this the best pre-merge in Survivor history ever? Cause it's gotta be up there.
I think it's definitely "boot a juror" being the last Island of the Idols prize.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Very interesting tribal and very interesting that Jack is an early jury member.

Why does everyone think Sandra and Rob will be on the jury? I mean...that would be really fun haha.

Edit: ooh, boot a jury member and replace with Rob or Sandra would be really fun...

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fed up of being blindsided by the edit.

And Janet is a shameless hypocrite, right? Wasn't she pushing for a women's alliance?

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So if Rob and Sandra are on the jury, they have to reveal them to everyone at tribal now, right? or will all of the jury be behind the wall lol

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
So if Rob and Sandra are on the jury, they have to reveal them to everyone at tribal now, right? or will all of the jury be behind the wall lol
My bet is they keep doing what they are doing and they get revealed at the last episode.

Also, didn't the rules in the Island of the idols state they cannot vote? I'm thinking they'll get to ask questions at the FTC (and take credit for some of the moves)

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm fed up of being blindsided by the edit.

And Janet is a shameless hypocrite, right? Wasn't she pushing for a women's alliance?

Yeah but I think after Jamal came across very hamfisted and sexist she had to push back on him a bit. It's one thing to talk about a woman's alliance as one of the women, it's another to frame it the way Jamal did where it's almost like "women ganging up on men" cliche narrative. I also think his giving of the idol to Noura was totally done because he felt like an ass and needed to make himself look better. It made no sense strategically, in no world is she going to show loyalty to him now, he just wasted the idol.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
"Congrats for making it to the merge!" - Jamal, hours before tribal council.

Well, Jamal or Noura is definitely gone. Well crap immediately after Kelly and Jack are saying the same thing. My prediction is screwed! Dean is 100% safe at least.

Almost a third of the show left just for tribal? Hot damn.

Noura is like a slightly more sane Debbie.

God damn Karishma, talk shit for doing nothing. Ugh.

I'm getting serious winner vibes from Dean. Think he could be a serious long term threat once we get to merge.

Honestly shocked by the Jack vote, but think it was a good choice. All the others, if they don't have each other they'd all seam pretty easy to target. Jack seemed easier to get along with and make connections.

Last edited:

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Noura can sell her vote as self-preservation in case she was Dean's target and he had an Idol that coincidentally lined up w/ Dean's decision.
Natalie Anderson could do that. There is no way Noura is selling that story to Jamal, lol.

I love the finesse of Kellee's move here, but would be surprised if it doesn't blow up in her face next week. Even ignoring Noura, how will Dean justify voting for Jack?

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but I think after Jamal came across very hamfisted and sexist she had to push back on him a bit. It's one thing to talk about a woman's alliance as one of the women, it's another to frame it the way Jamal did where it's almost like "women ganging up on men" cliche narrative. I also think his giving of the idol to Noura was totally done because he felt like an ass and needed to make himself look better. It made no sense strategically, in no world is she going to show loyalty to him now, he just wasted the idol.
I'm pretty sure Jamal gave the idol to Noura because Dean told him he was voting Noura (Kellee clueing him in changed everything). If he saved Noura then they can still keep Vokai strong on the revote by voting off Kirishima. The logic was there he just guessed wrong.

Oct 28, 2017

I've strongly disliked the pre-merge this season. There are blind sides but they don't seem to make strategic sense for the most part other than tonight, and even that is just a gigantic question mark since it requires her to put a lot of trust in someone extremely desperate.

Well, that was a mistake Jamal lol.

Jamal played it on Noura because that was the target of the guys alliance they were pretending to form with Dean. Jamal didn't know Dean was sure he had flipped. He likely thought it was most reasonable that Dean was hopeful the alliance was real but was playing the idol just in case. In that scenario, Noura goes home so Jamal made sure she didn't.

Jamal's play didn't work, and I'd not have blown my idol, but assuming you were willing to do so, Noura was the most likely target.

Grexeno

Oct 25, 2017
By getting to the merge, Karishma proceeds directly to the Final 3.

Grexeno

Oct 25, 2017
99% of boom mics in shots on Survivor have happened in this episode