• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
And then Elaine was voted out because Elisabeth thought she could beat Rob at firemaking.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not hating this format. Looks like the first meeting might actually have immediate consequences and I'm curious about a second offer. I assumed it was just take the challenge or not.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I hate this twist. So dumb. And Id be pretty annoyed pretending to like sandra and rob, Id just want to play my own game

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I hate this twist. So dumb. And Id be pretty annoyed pretending to like sandra and rob, Id just want to play my own game
Is it really even a twist? I feel like they have to know it. Elizabeth seemed like she was just (poorly) acting when she first got to the beach. I do like the concept of challenging the teachers though. I'm guessing fire making might be one of the hardest they have since its a more technical skill.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First season I'll be skipping since I started watching. Sandra at least deserves her spot of recognition, but Rob is just overrated trash. Not worth suffering through that guys voice again.

Oct 25, 2017
This has potential to be one of the best formats/gimmick in years,
sadly looking like a bland as all hell cast though.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Elizabeth with one of the dumbest moves I've seen in awhile. Her lie is going to be completely exposed the next time someone else is sent there. What's even the point in lying? What did that gain her? Nothing.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Liking the cast so far, very diverse and I have the feeling there are plenty of clever players if they managed to keep a blindside under wraps this early without a solid alliance. The start of the game directly at their beach was a bit awkward, I was hoping there was something to it, but it was very anticlimatic when they "first" meet Jeff and each other. I guess it was for budget reasons, planning to blow all up for season 40?

Not fully sold on the twist, and I have no clue how are they going to keep it fresh for the whole season. I thought they were going to assign one coach for each tribe to get some rivalry going, but oh well.

Also, how crazy is that the youngest is 23?

Elizabeth with one of the dumbest moves I've seen in awhile. Her lie is going to be completely exposed the next time someone else is sent there. What's even the point in lying? What did that gain her? Nothing.
Production probably encouraged her to not reveal the twist. She can just approach the next one going there to share the secret, I guess.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Only two minutes and hear "Two of the most dominant players of Survivor"

Rob:
b4rgt6ovw7k31.jpg

"Purple's good luck!"

hmmmm

Well, shit. Elaine's jumping out as a quick early favorite.

Wow, weird didn't even realize that we went until immunity until Probst even talked to the players.

Whenever it shows Molly, I can't help but see Colleen, but with longer hair.
2420527be96cd052f6612a76e4961df7.jpg

Ugh, I don't want two full seasons of Rob...

God damn this is so stupid. "You may not need your vote tonight, you did well, you can do this." *Loses "You fucking idiot! You should never do that! What were you thinking!?!"

Last edited:
FANTASY REDRAFTING IS OPEN UNTIL 10/2
OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
REDRAFTING IS OPEN UNTIL 10/2. What this means is until about an hour before episode two airs, you can redraft any players on your roster who have NOT BEEN VOTED OUT. So if you have the first person voted out on your roster, you are stuck with and should permanently bench them.

I'm not the biggest fan of the redrafting system, but as long as everyone playing fantasy is on the same page about it, it's equal footing for all.

Going to threadmark when this is the case so people have the best shot of remembering they have one week to optionally change out any players who haven't been voted out.

Like last season, I am also threadmarking where conversation begins for each episode.

--
Also, that was a pretty good first episode that exceeded my expectations. The 1.5 hour format was a huge help, and made it so time with Sandra and Rob didn't take away from meeting these new people. I got a good sense of most of them. And the season's gimmick has played out in a fun way so far. The "idols" talking shit in a Tribal Council Spyshack was fun TV!

giphy.gif

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
pretty happy with my 3 minute rush roster i did yesterday afternoon.

Ronnie does typical poker guy. yeah man, sure, everything's poker. When I play too much tetris, everyone is tetris pieces.
Might actually enjoy Sandra now that she's outside the game?
God damn this is so stupid. "You may not need your vote tonight, you did well, you can do this." *Loses "You fucking idiot! You should never do that! What were you thinking!?!"

That was v funny. He acted like there was something in it for him to win.

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
pretty happy with my 3 minute rush roster i did yesterday afternoon.

Ronnie does typical poker guy. yeah man, sure, everything's poker. When I play too much tetris, everyone is tetris pieces.
Might actually enjoy Sandra now that she's outside the game?

That was v funny. He acted like there was something in it for him to win.

Funny, I dumped Ronnie right before the episode started. Glad I trusted my gut. Realized poker players never go far (I guess Jean Robert made it pretty far, but even then).

And Rob does have something in it for him. He's practicing for that $2 million check that's right around the corner. :P

Oct 25, 2017
Solid premier. Nervous about how this season will play out, but I don't have any complaints about the first episode. The 90 minute format really is so much better.

LaydinJinn

Oct 31, 2017
I'm a Sandra super fan, but I'm not really liking the theme until Sandra said F*** No I vote you out and that's it.

Theme immediately validated.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how long it is until the secret tribal area is revealed "WE WERE HERE ALL ALONG!!!!"

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Really loved this premiere, looks like a super good cast too. Hopefully the shorter episodes don't ruin the good pacing and development they've got going.

Island of the Idols was fine here but when it starts taking up a significant amount of already not-long-enough episodes we're going to be in trouble.

suaveric

Nov 9, 2017
I wonder what the logistics of this season are. Do the have Sandra and Rob staying with production when they're not needed for the show? I can't believe they'd make them sit on that island for days just waiting for things to happen.

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what the logistics of this season are. Do the have Sandra and Rob staying with production when they're not needed for the show? I can't believe they'd make them sit on that island for days just waiting for things to happen.

Production intended to do just that apparently, but Rob and Sandra thought they "had to walk to the walk to talk the talk". They apparently really did spend all 39 days roughing it together in their own shelter with standard Survivor supplies like the castaways.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
Quite liked the first episode. "Compete with Rob for an idol or lose your vote" was pretty fun. Cast seems a tad dull but once paranoia and hunger sets in i'm sure things will get more entertaining.

xfactor99

Oct 28, 2017
Guy who knows Sandra (don't worry this is not a real spoiler) reported in July that Rob and Sandra were 'extremely bored' the entire time they were out there for S39. I can only imagine what they do all day.

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Guy who knows Sandra (don't worry this is not a real spoiler) reported in July that Rob and Sandra were 'extremely bored' the entire time they were out there for S39. I can only imagine what they do all day.

There's an article where they discuss the games they would create and play and bet on to pass the time. Also, they divided camp duties and worked together to keep up their shelter, fire, and catching food like they would on the show.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Production intended to do just that apparently, but Rob and Sandra thought they "had to walk to the walk to talk the talk". They apparently really did spend all 39 days roughing it together in their own shelter with standard Survivor supplies like the castaways.
A good way to get some practice in before 40 lol.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, like, they're obviously not going to be getting limited rations, they'll have a tarp, etc. But I'd totally want Satellite internet or Netflix or something as part of the deal for the off hours.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Funny, I dumped Ronnie right before the episode started. Glad I trusted my gut. Realized poker players never go far (I guess Jean Robert made it pretty far, but even then).
I didn't even connect the dots that was Ronnie Bardah until just now. Just assumed he was your typical Survivor poker-playing scrub. Ronnie's actually got some poker acumen.

For those of you who didn't get enough of seeing Ronnie get schooled, here's an entertaining poker hand on YouTube that features fellow Survivor alum JRB providing color commentary at the table.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even connect the dots that was Ronnie Bardah until just now. Just assumed he was your typical Survivor poker-playing scrub. Ronnie's actually got some poker acumen.

For those of you who didn't get enough of seeing Ronnie get schooled, here's an entertaining poker hand on YouTube that features fellow Survivor alum JRB providing color commentary at the table.

Oh man, that's brutal.

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada
I had my doubts about this season's gimmick, but after watching the first episode, I like it! Interesting idea!

I really hope that there are NO hidden idols on the island, and that the only way for them to get immunity is through Rob and Sandra. Never been a fan of hidden immunity idols.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I had my doubts about this season's gimmick, but after watching the first episode, I like it! Interesting idea!

I really hope that there are NO hidden idols on the island, and that the only way for them to get immunity is through Rob and Sandra. Never been a fan of hidden immunity idols.

It'd be extra interesting if it keeps being random too.

So the only idols are from getting randomly selected for IOI and then winning a test. Would be interesting.