• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
FANTASY REDRAFTING IS OPEN UNTIL 10/30
OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Because of the swap, REDRAFTING IS OPEN AGAIN UNTIL 10/30. Once again, you can redraft any players on your roster who have NOT BEEN VOTED OUT. Make sure to also bench voted out players, etc.

---

On topic for the episode, I see Janet's reasoning to vote out Tom. That said, he is the type of tell it like it is player you can always figure out in the game. Karishma you really have no idea with, and is also actively weighing down her tribe in challenges week after week. Redditors keeps posting this picture after each episode and it's so true:

7049p28z0eu31.jpg

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Karishma is single-handedly ruining this season for me.

Kind of me too? Like I can't really explain it. I don't really dislike her, she seems to be targeted for very valid reasons, it's more that she keeps getting a significant amount of tv time for no real reason other than to just barely stick around because she's viewed as an easy target?

Pre-merge so far has been really boring for me.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
Kind of me too? Like I can't really explain it. I don't really dislike her, she seems to be targeted for very valid reasons, it's more that she keeps getting a significant amount of tv time for no real reason other than to just barely stick around because she's viewed as an easy target?

Pre-merge so far has been really boring for me.

Any season where there is a big focus on an obvious, boring goat is bottom-tier. This almost happened to Cambodia with Abi-Maria but at least she was somewhat interesting? Karishma is just a bad, mopey player.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not Karishma's fault that old Lairo kept making ridiculous self-destructive moves because they were getting way ahead of themselves.

This is the first time in the last 3 rounds that keeping her made sense- Tom wasn't going to flip on his old tribe.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
Karishma to all her family, friends, and husband: "no watch party for this ep"

woohoo for redraft! i am doing horribly!

It's not Karishma's fault that old Lairo kept making ridiculous self-destructive moves because they were getting way ahead of themselves.

This is the first time in the last 3 rounds that keeping her made sense- Tom wasn't going to flip on his old tribe.

yeah, ol' Girl was right, he was straightforward and too tribalistic - and too straightfoward about him being not part of his current tribe.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017

That's kind of what I'm saying though. I don't dislike her, I kind of just dislike her focus from the edit and how the edit is painting it completely as her kind of whining the whole episode and then being kept.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Why is Karishma still in this?

I didn't like last season and I don't like this one.

Oct 25, 2017
I"m surprised they are revealing that Dean and Kellee are connected outside of the game, I feel like that is something they would edit out in earlier seasons

They did reveal a connection like that on screen all the way back in Gabon, too, so it's not like they've always hidden that stuff. When it's something random and a couple of stages removed it's okay.

It's a bit different than the Brett/Laura situation in Samoa.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
They did reveal a connection like that on screen all the way back in Gabon, too, so it's not like they've always hidden that stuff. When it's something random and a couple of stages removed it's okay.

It's a bit different than the Brett/Laura situation in Samoa.

It's nowhere near as bad as Big Brother this last season. Where one contestant dates another contestants aunt for a long time and basically was part of the same family. At least that one the show basically admitted but there were other relationships that seemed to never come to light on the show. I didn't watch the season though so it could ahve come up.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I guess they already forgot about the island of the idols.

I do appreciate the clever troll with the sand crawling challenge.

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Still hating this season so far. I'd rather they hadn't merged yet. It happens way too early.

You mean swapped? I'm just happy it was a 2 -> 2 swap. As if I'm not already completely over purple and orange starting tribes, the third green tribe born from a swap is getting so stale.

I'm totally with you, by the way. Even if it means a pagonging come merge, I think they need to either totally remove or at least greatly push back the swap. Some of my favorite seasons had no swap at all.

Oct 28, 2017
You mean swapped? I'm just happy it was a 2 -> 2 swap. As if I'm not already completely over purple and orange starting tribes, the third green tribe born from a swap is getting so stale.

I'm totally with you, by the way. Even if it means a pagonging come merge, I think they need to either totally remove or at least greatly push back the swap. Some of my favorite seasons had no swap at all.

They should let a tribe get devastated. It creates good gameplay. Bringing them together early encourages the bigger tribe to band together more until there are so few minority left. It's more fun to watch the minority eat each other.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
They should let a tribe get devastated. It creates good gameplay. Bringing them together early encourages the bigger tribe to band together more until there are so few minority left. It's more fun to watch the minority eat each other.
I wished they did one season with zero luck involved, with the starting tribes being made by themselves (volunteers or everyone doing a challenge to pick the members of their tribes) and no swap.

I understand the reasoning behind the swaps and everything to keep things fresh, but you can easily be placed in a situation where there is absolutely nothing you can do to save yourself.

Oct 25, 2017
I wished they did one season with zero luck involved, with the starting tribes being made by themselves (volunteers or everyone doing a challenge to pick the members of their tribes) and no swap.

I understand the reasoning behind the swaps and everything to keep things fresh, but you can easily be placed in a situation where there is absolutely nothing you can do to save yourself.

That's literally Survivor Palau you're describing. And it was awful.

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Survivor: Palau is almost like a perfect season of Survivor imho. Great location, theme, twists, characters, outcomes...

And yeah, this focus on Karishma better be worth it.

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Survivor: Palau is almost like a perfect season of Survivor imho. Great location, theme, twists, characters, outcomes...

And yeah, this focus on Karishma better be worth it.

She's sort of like a bummer version of Angelina from DvG. At least the screentime made us feel okay about laughing at her. I just feel bad for Karishma, and I don't need to feel bad when I watch Survivor with everything else going on in the world.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how a passive player who's getting strung along can possibly be "ruining" a season for you. She's not dominating the narrative, her original tribe just decided to be self-destructive dumbasses, and Tom getting voted out can be traced directly to his decision to go along with keeping her in the game over Vince and enabling the Chelsea blindside, as he got stranded with two people eager to flip on their former tribe.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
It's so frustrating that I can't redraft a player who got eliminated. Just makes me unable to compete which means I don't care. It's poor design. They should be doing everything they can to get me to want to log in every week.

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
It's so frustrating that I can't redraft a player who got eliminated. Just makes me unable to compete which means I don't care. It's poor design. They should be doing everything they can to get me to want to log in every week.

This makes complete sense though. Redrafting is dumb enough as it is. If everyone had 8 active players all season long, and we're all watching the same 42 minute episodes, we'd all pick virtually the same rosters and score nearly identically. We should be accountable for our choices to some degree, so bare minimum, we should be stuck with voted out players. There is some skill involved in initial picks, and certainly in redrafting. It's not just luck.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, there has to be some penalty for drafting people who get voted out early.

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, there has to be some penalty for drafting people who get voted out early.

Pretty much. In my personal league with friends, my buddy has lost 5 of his 8 picks throughout each episode of the show this season. Honestly takes a lot of skill to choose that poorly, even after he redrafted before week two.

Some games end earlier for others. Before redrafting was a thing, there were seasons where I lost interest with my own league because I had lost too many players. It's sort of like a Game Over.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the initial draft is skillful only to a degree - some people are easy reads in their pre-game interviews but sometimes they just come out and are wildly different from what they think of themselves as. That said, redrafting is VERY skillful since we have a sense of players and their games. It does stink that if you managed to pick like 4 of the first boots you're hosed even on a redraft I guess.

Oct 28, 2017
This makes complete sense though. Redrafting is dumb enough as it is. If everyone had 8 active players all season long, and we're all watching the same 42 minute episodes, we'd all pick virtually the same rosters and score nearly identically. We should be accountable for our choices to some degree, so bare minimum, we should be stuck with voted out players. There is some skill involved in initial picks, and certainly in redrafting. It's not just luck.

I'd be on board with smaller rosters that get locked in at merge. That would incentivize learning the contestants early and picking the ones likely to make a splash next week, not the people who we think are just middle of the road enough to make it deep.

Respectfully, I think you're wrong on redrafting. You're already punished for bad drafts because they score less. Punishing you all season is unnecessary and makes the entire draft less fun. I want there to be a reason to log in every week. There wasn't when there was no redrafting. Engagement requires decision making.

Picking the players that will be important in the short term is equally challenging and requires active participation. If I know a player is likely to score a bunch of points and then be eliminated early, there should be a way for me to take advantage of that.

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty much. In my personal league with friends, my buddy has lost 5 of his 8 picks throughout each episode of the show this season. Honestly takes a lot of skill to choose that poorly, even after he redrafted before week two.

Some games end earlier for others. Before redrafting was a thing, there were seasons where I lost interest with my own league because I had lost too many players. It's sort of like a Game Over.

The votes this season have been totally illogical and against what normally occurs. No one could have accurately predicted the boot list. Your friend is being unnecessarily punished.

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Carthago Delenda Est , I definitely see your point of view. But I just don't agree with it. I don't like redrafting to begin with, so I just can't get behind that level of handholding. I think we should, for better or worse, be accountable for our choices. We can't win every game, and it's okay to flame out from the league if you see the writing on the wall.

Like in Survivor, when someone is voted out, they're gone. So the least the people running this site can do to maintain the peace between people like you who want unlimited redrafting of all players, and people like me who want no redrafting at all is to make it so that the few times redrafting is live, you can only choose to do so for people who are still in the game. Seems completely fair to me. But your points do make sense fwiw within the context of what you deem to be fair.