• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

DC Universe is back with its third live action show, coming off the end of one of the best superhero TV shows of all time DOOM PATROL that just nailed it's season finale.

Honestly, after seeing all of the news about DC cutting the season of Swamp Thing short I was and still am afraid of the quality of this TV show, but it seems like at least the beginning is rock solid. Note that although Rotten Tomatoes is pretty lenient when it comes to TV shows in their tomatometer, overall reviews are positive.

Some choice quotes:

But we'll cross that particular bridge when we get to it, because the beginning of Swamp Thing is a delirious, bloody good time. Much like the Swamp Thing comic in the early '80s, I desperately need Moore more as soon as possible.

Rating: ★★★★

The strength of Swamp Thing's pilot makes the recent news that Warner Bros. chose to cut the season's length down to 10 episodes from 13 that much more curious because you can clearly see that the journey the show wants to take you on has levels of depth to it that deserve thorough unpacking. Even if the premiere wasn't strong on its its own, the potential the series has to delve even deeper into Swamp Thing's canonical, existential weirdness makes it worth keeping an eye on.

From what I've seen so far, Swamp Thing isn't merely the best show on a very boutique streaming service; it's one of the best new horror series to come around in years. It doesn't hit you over the head and its gore and scares come as part of a crescendo of tension. It's taking its time to show us the characters and the predicament they're in before unleashing Swamp Thing himself. That takes a massive amount of restraint. It's clear there's a desire to create a show for genre fans everywhere, not just die-hard comic book fans.

Swamp Thing is well worth the DC Universe subscription. I can't wait to check out the next eight episodes to see how deep the swamp goes.

Rotten Tomatoes: 92%

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well let's hope it stays up there. Used to really like the character and have been waiting for a good adaptation for years...

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like DCUniverse is continuing to kill it. Hopefully more shows to come if they nail it.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
DC Universe has been hitting on all cylinders between adding so many comics and having such well-reviewed shows. It's funny that the initial impression "fuck Batman" was so negative, but those were so wrong.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
So who's in charge of all these DC Universe shows?
Feels like this person needs to take a stab at the movie division.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
DC Universe has been hitting on all cylinders between adding so many comics and having such well-reviewed shows. It's funny that the initial impression "fuck Batman" was so negative, but those were so wrong.
Titans wasn't all that great though. Doom Patrol is where its at.

HamCormier

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I guess I'll have to try an episode because that trailer did nothing for me. The editing and the audio mix was so weird.

mm04

Oct 27, 2017
I took advantage of a timed deal of 20% off the annual subscription price and locked in the year for $60. I was going month to month for some $4 a month for 3 months deal or some such and luckily only had to pay full price for month until the annual deal came along. DC Universe has really put out some quality content. I enjoyed Titans, Young Justice and Doom Patrol. Really glad Swamp Thing appears to be quality as well. The DC Universe stuff is orders of magnitude better than the CW shows and much higher budget and better production values, so don't let Arrowverse scare you if you're not a fan (I'm a fan).

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
Looking forward to this... loved these comics before and even the new 52 run

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see this is going to be good. I think these streaming services, not having to worry about advertisers, might be a good thing for weird characters like Swamp Thing and the Doom Patrol. There seems to be less pressure to play it safe.

Queen

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Titans wasn't the greatest show, but I kind of liked the edginess of it? Doom Patrol is definitely a way better show to get somebody to use the platform.

Deleted member 47942

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2018
Doom Patrol turned out to be one of the best comic adaptations period. If DC even comes close with Swamp Thing, we're in for a treat.

So who's in charge of all these DC Universe shows?
Feels like this person needs to take a stab at the movie division.
It's mainly been Greg Berlanti and Geoff Johns, though they aren't on as producers for Swamp Thing. That falls to James Wan, who definitely can put out a horror project.

Johns has tried to take some control of the film division but WB executives definitely have a history of fucking things up. He did great work with Shazam though.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Titans wasn't all that great though. Doom Patrol is where its at.
I'd say Titans is above average, a little rocky but something that can be improved. I'd like to think part of the issue is that it didn't have the time like doom patrol and the fact that it had to be an intro for DCU. Like, they didn't even get an intro. And had a couple of episodes that weren't really about the Titans. Season 2 will tell if they can get into the league of Doom Patrol and possibly Swamp Thing.

Queen

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think Titans is worth watching almost entirely for Ryan Potter's Beast Boy tbh

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Another good DCU show? Niiiice.
Honestly if future movies bomb they should just shift their entire focus to these shows

Nov 1, 2017
So far every show released by DC Universe have been amazing. Titans and Young Justice : Outsiders were great and Doom Patrol was strangely fun even though it was getting weirder by the week.

Are those shows available on any service in Europe/France?

Titans is available on Netflix (Excluding US/Canada) but unfortunately there is no news about whether Outsiders or Doom Patrol will be on Netflix or any other streaming platform internationally.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Swamp-Thing has been my most anticipated DC show for a while now. Glad to see it apparently turned out well. I know nothing about the IP itself, but it being horror, having James Wan attached and it starring Crystal Reed makes it a definite watch for me.

I thought Titans was incredibly mediocre, and it was the episodes that wasn't about the Titans that I enjoyed the most. I do like Dick Grayson and Beast Boy as characters, but don't necessarily like Beast Boy's powerset. And I want more Robin, not Nightwing (I'll probably end up liking this alter-ego as well though).

I haven't seen Doom Patrol yet, but I loved their episode on Titans, and the characters are all very interesting. I think it could be a lot of fun.

OP
OP
Mariolee

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Swamp-Thing has been my most anticipated DC show for a while now. Glad to see it apparently turned out well. I know nothing about the IP itself, but it being horror, having James Wan attached and it starring Crystal Reed makes it a definite watch for me.

Never heard of Crystal Reed before but she's insanely gorgeous, and of course James Wan has my sword.

Garble Slew

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta, Georgia
This will be the first superhero related thing I've seen since Watchmen. I was going to watch it no matter how bad it was so I'm really happy to see it getting positive reviews.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
So far every show released by DC Universe have been amazing. Titans and Young Justice : Outsiders were great and Doom Patrol was strangely fun even though it was getting weirder by the week.

Titans is available on Netflix (Excluding US/Canada) but unfortunately there is no news about whether Outsiders or Doom Patrol will be on Netflix or any other streaming platform internationally.
Doom Patrol is up on HBO in some countries.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sold on the tone and VFX, not so much on the cast or characters, but I'm holding out hope!
Nah DC does small screen really damn good. I wish we had 25% of the animated movies DC puts out on Marvel side. Let them stay in their lane and own it.
I don't think ya do man, most of them are real bad lol

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
Everyone hope for a successful pilot reception because the cast and crew find out 10 days after the premiere if it's picked up for a second season. We're all crossing our fingers.