• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
I read this earlier. The student is awesome and did a great job but it's depressing that the guy will just be deported at a different time.

This kind of thing makes a lot of noise but never works. It sucks.

FrequentFlyer

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Sweden is a democratic Country with reliable institutions. You do not get deported without having been through the proper asylum process and having been denied after a fair trial. The woman was in no Position whatsoever to act like this and will hopefully face the consequences.

What is particularly obscene is being completely ignorant on the Situation, still filming yourself violating the law and due process and shouting "I'm not breaking any laws!!" and then posting it online as if she was somehow in the right, hoping for similarly ideologically confused individuals to like it and create a scandal of sorts.

Last edited:

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Very compassionate and brave lady! We need more of this

Afghanistan isn't hell. Swedish authorities lack balls it seems.

Tell us what you really feel?

And why would the authorities have balls? Also, as a dude, balls aren't the point of strength. In fact, they are the weakest link a fight

Frequent Flyer: Sweden has in some ways had a more liberal immigration policy than other European countries, but that doesn't mean it is always empathetic to those experiencing, or fair. Also, nice judgement without knowing anything about the case.

Cookie: This kind of thing has an effect. Her action will probably inspire others to do the same. Change is a complex process, but actions like these can absolutely have an effect.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Well, this thread seems to be a good one for deciding who to put on my ignore list.

Glad there are still people with a spine who stand up for those who need it.

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden is a democratic Country with reliable institutions. You do not get deported without having been through the proper asylum process and having been denied after a fair trial. The woman was in no Position whatsoever to act like this and will hopefully face the consequences.

What is particularly obscene is being completely ignorant on the Situation, still filming yourself violating the law and due process and shouting "I'm not breaking any laws!!" and then posting it online as if she was somehow in the right, hoping for similarly ideologically confused individuals to like it.
Are you really suggesting protesting should be a punishable act???

FrequentFlyer

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Frequent Flyer: Sweden has in some ways had a more liberal immigration policy than other European countries, but that doesn't mean it is always empathetic to those experiencing, or fair. Also, nice judgement without knowing anything about the case.

Cookie: This kind of thing has an effect. Her action will probably inspire others to do the same. Change is a complex process, but actions like these can absolutely have an effect.
You are the one judging without knowing anything about the case. You do not get deported without a negative asylum decree which you can Appeal at Courts. This is the very Definition of due process. Sweden also is bound by several international treaties and guarantees fair Trials. This is the Situation at Hand. You are moving on from this to a imaginery Situation where somehow there was no due process and a law was invented where random People get to stop airplane flights when they emotionally disagree with a law they appearantly don't even know anything about.

Are you really suggesting protesting should be a punishable act???

She was not "protesting", she was actively obstructing a legal process (the Deportation) and on an airplane at that.

Oct 27, 2017
Good on her.

Afghanistan still has plenty of bombing and suicide bombing each month so it is not safe yet. Anybody saying otherwise is wrong.

dapperbandit

Oct 30, 2017
Given this is Sweden we're talking about, I imagine there's a valid reason the asylum claim was denied.

There's being pro-immigration and there's having a clue and the two don't always line up. Reminds me of the time ICE raided a house in West Oakland, all the neighbors saw the ICE vehicles and started protesting with signs saying "we love our neighbours" and "no person is iilegal" and then it turned out ICE was busting a child sex trafficking ring.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Good on her.

Afghanistan still has plenty of bombing and suicide bombing each month so it is not safe yet. Anybody saying otherwise is wrong.
Not sure if this is the same protest I read about a few days ago (I assume it is), but in that case the deportee in question was openly gay, making things even less safe for them to return.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She certainly has conviction, don't think many people would have it in them to stand up and do something like that.

FrequentFlyer

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Good on her.

It does not matter whether Afghanistan is considered unsafe as a whole by Internet Forum members, it matters that the relevant authorities probably determined that reasonable inner-Afghanistan settlement possibilities (as Taliban does not Control 100% of the Country) exist.

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but this person was court ordered to return to the country where he came from.

In the end this person will be guided on a private jet to return to Afghanistan. This is only costing money, fuel and she is being an inconveince to people on that flight.

She should have been removed from the plane for making a crazy fuss on a plane that was about to take off.

Who is she to decide that this person shouldn't return to Afghanistan? And why are others forced to have a delay in their flight just because her crazy convictions? Going against a court ordered process?

Maybe she should take this person into her house and pay for all his food, clothing and utilities if she wants him to stay in Sweden so badly.

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this is the same protest I read about a few days ago (I assume it is), but in that case the deportee in question was openly gay, making things even less safe for them to return.
God damn.

I really hope they change their minds.
It does not matter whether Afghanistan is considered unsafe as a whole by Internet Forum members, it matters that the relevant authorities probably determined that reasonable inner-Afghanistan settlement possibilities (as Taliban does not Control 100% of the Country) exist.
They do not control the whole country but they do sneak in bomb attacks. It happens everywhere no matter where you go. Not to mention the guy is openly gay (which I didn't even know until now) so I am pretty sure you will have some homophobic assholeswho will attack him when they know this.

Protesting this decision is wise. Especially for this particular guy.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could face fines and jail

Despite the young woman's claims that she had done nothing wrong, Swedish authorities see the matter differently. Police pointed out that passengers who refuse to obey a pilot's orders while on board a plane can face fines or up to six months in jail.

Authorities also said the Afghan man was in custody and would be deported, though they did not say when.

FrequentFlyer

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Racist / homophobic conspiracy theories.
They do not control the whole country but they do sneak in bomb attacks. It happens everywhere no matter where you go. Not to mention the guy is openly gay so I am pretty sure you will have some homophobic assholes (which I didn't even know until now) who will attack him when they know this.

Protesting this decision is wise. Especially for this particular guy.
Do you have a source that he was openly gay? Because if that was the case, then the reasoning would be quite interesting indeed, as usually the connex of homosexuality->taliban/Afghan government not capable of protecting them from Taliban leads to deportations being impossible (which in turns leads to the Problem of a lot of People wrongly claiming to be homosexual to come into this "privilege".).

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a Swedish taxpayer, my empathy for any of them who support his deportation (unless he was a criminal) is zero. lol

If the court ordered him to return to Afghanistan, I'm sure they have a pretty good reason to. It's not like Sweden is unfriendly towards immigrants.

Actually Sweden has been lacking in integrating immigrants into their society. There has been a surge of crime these past few years in Sweden, with a lot of the gangs consisting of first or second generation immigrants.

It's widely known that gang members are mainly first- and second-generation immigrants, and problems are rampant in what police euphemistically refer to as 'vulnerable areas'. Thus the gang wars serve as a constant reminder of Sweden's failed migration and integration policies. This is a problem for the government (and even the opposition) in a country that prides itself on being a 'humanitarian superpower'. And yet politicians, in government and opposition, seem particularly concerned that violence in immigrant suburbs is a PR problem, a threat to the image of Sweden, and that the remedy is spin.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/02/violent-crime-in-sweden-is-soaring-when-will-politicians-act/

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have a source that he was openly gay? Because if that was the case, then the reasoning would be quite interesting indeed, as usually the connex of homosexuality->taliban/Afghan government not capable of protecting them from Taliban leads to deportations being impossible (which in turns leads to the Problem of a lot of People wrongly claiming to be homosexual to come into this "privilege".).
I am basing of what the other member said.

However, it should matter if he weren't gay or not. Afghanistan isn't safe no matter how you put it.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good. Fuck the EU for their stance on Afghan refugees. "Economic migrants" my fucking ass, country has been torn apart by war for a nigh constant 40 fucking years.

FrequentFlyer

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
I am basing of what the other member said.

However, it should matter if he weren't gay or not. Afghanistan isn't safe no matter how you put it.
That is your opinion, which is not entirely unreasonable, but not the opinion and stance of the experts responsible for judging the Situation for the swedish government, who the last time I checked is not exactly a far-right government either.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
If there's one thing I've learned working with immigrants these past few years it's that there's a lot of arbitrary decision making and enough clueless and/or downright malicious bureaucrats working in various Swedish authorities that one should never assume that they've made the right decision by default.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Oh neat. People who are not at all informed about the current Swedish migration policies being very concerned about an act of civil disobedience.
which in turns leads to the Problem of a lot of People wrongly claiming to be homosexual to come into this "privilege".
Literally not a thing that happens.
If the court ordered him to return to Afghanistan, I'm sure they have a pretty good reason to. It's not like Sweden is unfriendly towards immigrants.
Yeah, so the migration policies have become fairly harsh as of late, and the Afghanistan deportations are a fairly controversial since they are based on an evaluation that Afghanistan is "safe" which is debatable.

Oct 27, 2017
That is your opinion, which is not entirely unreasonable, but not the opinion and stance of the experts responsible for judging the Situation for the swedish government, who the last time I checked is not exactly a far-right government either.
It is not my "opinion". It is a fact.

A simple Google search would show how frequent these bomb attacks are.

FrequentFlyer

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
If there's one thing I've learned working with immigrants these past few years it's that there's a lot of arbitrary decision making and enough clueless and/or downright malicious bureaucrats working in various Swedish authorities that one should never assume that they've made the right decision by default.
I'm assuming the Situation in Sweden is similar to where I live, and here you can fight the decree of denied asylum Claim potentially up to the supreme (constitutional) court. If we're going to accuse all instances of the legal System of a Country among the top of all Democracy Indexes as somehow biased and incompetent then by that logic we might as well all go live somewhere in a forest only with the rule of nature and no outside contact.

Literally not a thing that happens.
You are clueless. I literally work at court and have had such cases on my desk.

It is not my "opinion". It is a fact.

A simple Google search would show how frequent these bomb attacks are.

No, your opinion is not fact. A fact is that there are still frequent bomb attacks etc. That Afghanistan as a whole is therefore 100% unsafe and there can be no deportations is not a fact, it is your opinion. An opinion that as I said is not unreasonable, but ultimately not of much importance unless you are part of the government committee that has to deal with These Immigration and international relation questions.

OP
OP
Norwegian_Imposter

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean regardless of the due process which I am sure was followed here but imagine being a genuine refugee and not getting asylum knowing that you will either be cast out or worse. Flying is stressful as it is never mind knowing you might die at the end of it

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if you're fearing for your political life due to right wing backlash.

The country is complete chaos outside of Kabul, and even internally the city is under constant threat of bombing by Taliban or ISIS supporters. With the Russians and the Iranians upping their presence in the country the last few years shit is only going to get worse.

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
She's a hero. We need more people like her and much less people incapable of empathy.

Oct 25, 2017
Excuse me? Maybe you have the balls to say what you actually think about Swedish authorities. Please share.

Super proud of this woman, hope more people follow suit to stand up against this bullshit stance on asylum seekers.

Given this is Sweden we're talking about, I imagine there's a valid reason the asylum claim was denied.

What? No. Never assume this. The Swedish immigration authorities are a steaming pile of garbage in many cases. I have experienced this first hand as a refugee myself. My family lived in a fucking hotel cleaning utility room for a month because the state couldn't provide better temporary housing. Sweden does a lot of good things but assuming that they make good decisions by default simply because they are Swedish is absurd. These authorities have been on the receiving end of intense criticism from human rights activists within Sweden for DECADES.

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If he was gay then in my personal opinion he shouldn't be deported back. But I cannot find any information regarding this ' fact ' .

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She's a hero. We need more people like her and much less people incapable of empathy.

How is she a hero exactly? This man is still going to be deported, except on a private jet this time. Costing more money and fuel and she was an inconveinence to the other people on the plane as well as breaking the law for not following pilot's orders. Going against a court ordered procedure.

She didn't accomplish anything in the end.

People, it's not like Sweden isn't a liberal country where literally thousands of asylum seekers ARE granted asylum?

People in here railing on Swedish political system and it's taxpayers are not in touch with reality.

The Netherlands also deports men immigrants as well. Or they do not grant asylum to everybody. But they also take in a lot of immigrants. Not everybody can stay.

This woman is not a hero.

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good, civil disobedience is an important and integral part of protesting and the blind support for the deportation in this thread is truly angering to see. Some of the posts here are disturbingly transparent.

Oct 27, 2017
How is she a hero exactly? This man is still going to be deported, except on a private jet this time. Costing more money and fuel and she was an inconveinence to the other people on the plane as well as breaking the law for not following pilot's orders. Going against a court ordered procedure.

She didn't accomplish anything in the end.
She made the news which makes the guy's story known which inturn makes more people aware who could protest this so a change could happen.

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good, civil disobedience is an important and integral part of protesting and the blind support for the deportation in this thread is truly angering to see. Some of the posts here are disturbingly transparent.

What blind support? I am in support of the legal system as there are plenty of immigrants who have been granted permission to stay in the country. Not everybody can stay.

Oct 25, 2017
He applied for permission to stay in Sweden and didn't get it. What do you suggest should be done instead of deportation?

Accepting his asylum claim because we are not a country run my rabid animals?

In fact, before you set up a straw-man, I'll beat you to it: I'm for completely open borders in developed countries in terms of accepting people fleeing war, oppression and political danger. There you go.

What is particularly obscene is being completely ignorant on the Situation, still filming yourself violating the law and due process and shouting "I'm not breaking any laws!!" and then posting it online as if she was somehow in the right, hoping for similarly ideologically confused individuals to like it and create a scandal of sorts.

Speak for yourself. I'm not ideologically confused in the slightest. I am in fact 100% certain that your opinion on the matter is pure shit.

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Accepting his asylum claim because we are not a country run my rabid animals?

And you aren't, because there are literally thousands of immigrants given permission to stay in Sweden and live out their lives in peace.

Except not everybody can stay. Why is this man the exception? Would you really want to take in any immigrant that comes a knocking? That just doesn't work.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017

U.S. Department of State:

https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...es/traveladvisories/afghanistan-advisory.html
Afghanistan Travel Advisory - Level 4: Do Not Travel

Do not travel to Afghanistan due to crime, terrorism, civil unrest, and armed conflict.

I think the Americans know a thing or two about the current situation in Afghanistan.

Doesn't matter the slightest. Afghanistan is not a safe country, that's why any deportations must be postponed until it is safe. Period.

There is nothing "ideologically confused" about wanting to save lives.

There is no place in Afghanistan that can be considered safe. There are countless governments which have issued travel warnings to Afghanistan. Terrorist attacks can occur at any place at any time.

The taxpayers who pay for it, I'd assume.

We are talking here about such an insignificant amount of money, yet you are willing to destroy lives for this to save pennies.

It's pretty evident that you have a considerable deficit when it comes to empathy. Why are you such a cold-hearted person?

Oct 25, 2017
And you aren't, because there are literally thousands of immigrants given permission to stay in Sweden and live out their lives in peace.

Except not everybody can stay. Why is this man the exception? Would you really want to take in any immigrant that comes a knocking? That just doesn't work.

I think literally everybody should be allowed to stay, barring criminal prosecution. I don't care if it works or not. I literally don't give a fuck. Human rights über alles.

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think literally everybody should be allowed to stay, barring criminal prosecution. I don't care if it works or not. I literally don't give a fuck. Human rights über alles.

Ok, are you gonna take in an Afghan family or just a few single men ( since it's mostly single men coming as immigrants ) into your home? Feed them, clothe them, pay for their utilities and needs? Because that's what you clearly want. Because otherwise it doesn't work.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Well done. Sweden has been rightfully criticised on how it reaches deportation verdicts as of late, and I'd wager most posters in this thread would be concerned for their safety if they were told they had to move to Afghanistan with no choice on the matter.

36 Chambers

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She shoulda been taken off the plane too. By all means she can disagree with what the Swedish government decided. But holding up a plane isnt the way to do it. The guys just gonna be put on another flight anyway.

I'd have told her to sit down.

I feel like the whole border in America is making people oppose deportation full stop without the context or the facts.