• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lashman

Oct 25, 2017

Because it was highly requested in the Twitter poll...
We've decided to release a public demo for The Good Life!
And guess what? You can download it now!!

Download from the link below

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wkbB1bNsht-EVkiyvfxdYumbZGIwmuTW/view?usp=sharing

We did our best to prepare this ASAP in order to grant everyone's wishes.
There are a bunch of bugs present in the build, but we hope you'll enjoy this chance to visit the world of The Good Life much earlier than scheduled!!

There are only 8 days left until the campaign ends!
You're free to use the demo as you please, so go ahead and share it with all your friends and all over the internet!
Please help us find more supporters. We're counting on you!

I Love You All!!
SWERY

Kickstarter

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
giphy.gif

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome! Great idea releasing the prototype. Just downloaded it and will dig in later.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely going to play this and try to share the Kickstarter around a bit, I really want this game to make it through in this last week.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
oof, a little over 50% of its target goal and only 9 days left and it's their second try? Not looking good for this kickstarter =/

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
how do i give the picture to the truck guy

snapped a really sexy one but he aint looking at it

super quick impressions

ran around for a bit, found some photo quests - but im not sure i can turn them in? at least the truck guy quest is not turning in, im not sure if i need a specific angle or something, took thousands of photos from the damn truck and still nothing. photomode is weird, photos are getting blurry for no reason. theres a (very) small part of the city to wander and so far ive only seen two buttons doing anything (a to talk, x to enter photomode/rb to take photo). yeah, buttons from a controller, since it only works with a controller (weirdly enough it says xbox controller - anyone tried with others?).

nvm i got it

you have to stop the truck with objects and then take the picture. its kinda buggy so maybe you have to snap it twice. the photo only counts when you have the objective selected in your screen

Last edited:

Molto

Oct 27, 2017
Already backed on day 1, just cuz it's a SWERY game. Hope this demo enables the project to be funded.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Awesome, thanks for the heads up! Downloading now, hopefully I'll be able to try it today (been a couple crazy days).

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping this gets backed. This is only my second Kickstarter game but I'm intrigued by the premise of this game.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Man, I want this to succeed. Even if I didn't want to play it, I'd want to see it get made. I can't stand to see Swery disappointed when it's clear he's incredibly passionate and determined to see it released.

I wish Giant Bomb would do a quick look of this demo.

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A nintendo direct or appearance on a sony stage (microsoft wouldn't work in this case I'd guess) should have happened, just announcing it.
KS just isn't what it used to be, and we're talking Swery here, you need the people who liked DP and/or D4 and definitely some hype even if the goal is as low as this. :(

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Played around with the prototype demo for a 30-40 minutes, it's obviously rough and a prototype, but there's some early promise in there. Essentially this demo is a small lot of the town, three side-quest to do (I did two of them but couldn't figure out how to do the third), and showing the camera taking and pick-up functionalities implemented. Little story bits and easter eggs you can spot (such as a shop in the town named after Rainy Woods).

Did a video, I do talk through it as warning:

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Neat.
Already backed it though and I guess I kind of don't have any interest in the demo itself.
Hopefully it will make some waves so it gets backed.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I broke my Kickstarter hiatus for this. Really hope it gets a massive surge of support in the last week.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Played around with the prototype demo for a 30-40 minutes, it's obviously rough and a prototype, but there's some early promise in there. Essentially this demo is a small lot of the town, three side-quest to do (I did two of them but couldn't figure out how to do the third), and showing the camera taking and pick-up functionalities implemented. Little story bits and easter eggs you can spot (such as a shop in the town named after Rainy Woods).

Where is the Rendevouz spot!? Can't find anything either.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Releasing a prototype demo is a pretty great idea, but i hope it isn't too late, this kickstarter is running out of time fast.

The only thing i could think of while watching your video past 3:42. ;)

Thank you, I realized I didn't know how to pronounce it when I came to it but just rolled with it.

Where is the Rendevouz spot!? Can't find anything either.

I DON'T KNOW! I wonder if anything happens if you finish all three side-quest, but I looked and didn't find anything for it yet, so I'm curious myself.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
I tried playing this, but I ran into a bug where the camera just started spinning around uncontrollably at my feet. Anyone know of a fix? I was using a DS4, I don't have an xbox controller.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Collector's edition detailed yet?
Physical Collector's Edition contents unveiled!

30c319fc4e6927676edd2ddb61315d0f_original.png

In this update, we're going to give you a detailed rundown on the contents of the Physical Collector's Edition, which is available from the $130 tier and up!

Did you all check out our last update, where we introduced Limited Run as our latest partner? Limited Run has made physical editions of many other games thus far in their career, which has earned them high praise. With them on board producing our Physical Collector's Edition, you can be assured that it will be a very high quality package! And now, for the contents!

The Good Life Physical Collector's Edition Contents:

- Kickstarter Exclusive Box (Embossed, with a completely unique design)
- Physical Game Disc (your choice of a PS4 or a PC version; PC version comes with a Steam key)
- Post Card (Scenery of Rainy Woods)
- Post Card (Letter from Team With SWERY's & Mr.Futatsgugi Sign)
- Rainy Woods Tourist Guide Leaflet (A4 size, tri-fold)
- Artbook (A bit smaller than A5)
- Trading Cards (Characters / Dogs / Cats)
- Soundtrack CD

Well? Is that an awesome package or what?!

We hope you'll take this change to snag this special, one-of-a-kind package and all the bragging rights it comes with! We're working hard on the actual designs now, so we hope you're excited to see them. We'll let you all know as soon as we have more news!

Once again, the Physical Collector's Edition is available in all tiers from $130 and above, so be sure to pledge for one of those if you can!

2e92e25a774c2bd000110ec1ecb1ec51_original.png

I Love You All!!
SWERY

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the details. Kind of strange this wasn't promoted on the lrg mailing list. I think I'm in but that is one expensive CE after conversion to CAD...

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Sigh this might be a situation like Amplitude where I have to keep upping my pledge in the hope it goes over the line, might have to spring for a physical tier even though I don't really want another box lying around.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there going to be voice acting in the final version?

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Japanese at least.

I realise the casting process is long and costly, but it seems weird not to include a sample cutscene with VO in your kick-starter campaign. Especially when its arguably the best bit in Deadly Premonition.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
It's funny. I've been playing Deadly Premonition on my PC this week and... I've never had to fight so hard with a game I genuinely enjoy. That game gets less playable by the year-- every tech update and iteration past the XB360 controller just ever so slowly inches it away from playability. I've had it crash on me because I scrolled the map. Even with all this frustration, the game is turbo worth it to me-- the dialog, the setting, even the mediocre gameplay once you set it up right. Because of that, I'm really desperate for The Good Life to make it right now. This game could satisfy my craving for a unique experience like Deadly Premonition, but with actual stability and style and the lessons that Swery has learned in the years since DP.

I can't back the game until May, but until then, I'm gonna do what I can to help The Good Life succeed-- even if, so far, that's just making noise about it on ERA.

cmagus

Oct 27, 2017
I tried playing this, but I ran into a bug where the camera just started spinning around uncontrollably at my feet. Anyone know of a fix? I was using a DS4, I don't have an xbox controller.
Usually you can use InputMapper to set the DS4 as an emulated Xbox 360 controller but it doesn't seem to work on this demo. This is a pretty common problem for a lot of Unity stuff, you can try InputMapper to see if it works for you but I haven't been able to get it working on this demo.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Usually you can use InputMapper to set the DS4 as an emulated Xbox 360 controller but it doesn't seem to work on this demo. This is a pretty common problem for a lot of Unity stuff, you can try InputMapper to see if it works for you but I haven't been able to get it working on this demo.
I just want to experience The Good Life!

Thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can get it working.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
I'll download when I'm on my pc.

It's funny. I've been playing Deadly Premonition on my PC this week and... I've never had to fight so hard with a game I genuinely enjoy. That game gets less playable by the year-- every tech update and iteration past the XB360 controller just ever so slowly inches it away from playability. I've had it crash on me because I scrolled the map. Even with all this frustration, the game is turbo worth it to me-- the dialog, the setting, even the mediocre gameplay once you set it up right. Because of that, I'm really desperate for The Good Life to make it right now. This game could satisfy my craving for a unique experience like Deadly Premonition, but with actual stability and style and the lessons that Swery has learned in the years since DP.
DP is the best "worst" game I've played.
Technically flawed, but still a gem.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for making the video, I don't have access to a PC&Controller right now and this was a fun watch.

The prototype actually looks further along than I was expecting, really hope this game will get made at some point even if the KS isn't successful.