• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
Just got my Kickstarter update. Can't say I'm surprised. Does any Kickstarter come out on time (lol)?

This is SWERY, the original creator and director of The Good Life.

I'm writing this because I have a very important announcement to make today.

One year and three months have already passed since this Kickstarter project met its goal. I can't believe it's already been that long! Time goes by fast when you're working hard every day to make a good game.

In the campaign, we stated that The Good Life would be released in Q4 2019 and received support from you all. After a long deliberation, we have decided to change the schedule and extend the development period in order to deliver The Good Life to all our backers in the best condition possible.

It's a very important, heavy decision, but we made it believing that it's the happiest decision for all the people who are going to eventually play it. Therefore, we humbly ask that you wait a little bit longer for The Good Life to reach your hands.

We expect the release date to move from Q4 2019 to Spring 2020.

We're very sorry about this, because we know you've all been waiting very patiently for The Good Life. We only came to the decision due to prioritizing the quality of the game above all else.

We sincerely hope you can understand our feelings on this issue, and will continue to support us.

Throughout this period of one year and a few months, the team has been working hard on deciding the details about what sort of game The Good Life is supposed to be. They've withstood my crazy manifestos and continued working hard on developing the game. The graphics have all been powered up compared to how they originally appeared during the campaign, and we even increased the map size so that you can sink your teeth even further into the world we've created.

Some decent new vids and screenshots at the link.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had the chance to try it briefly recently and it's a fascinating little project, but it did seem a little bit rough around the edges still. Not too surprised about the delay but I can wait, I have more than enough games to play right now so if this one takes longer to make sure the end result is great, so be it.

OP
OP
bell wood's jet cola
Oct 30, 2017
Game looks extremely charming based on what they've released so far, so I can handle a little wait. Admittedly, I sort of forgot I backed it in the first place!

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I'm okay with that. Looks like the game is being developed at a steady pace so a delay or two won't be a Mighty N9 situation.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I didn't even realize they were trying to get this out this year.

Hopefully it comes out with some polish. Super interested in checking it out.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda expected. It's basically guaranteed a crowdfunded game is going to get delayed, it's going to be way in pre-production when the campaign first starts.

Definitely looking forward to it.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
A six month delay for a Kickstarter project is pretty reasonable, honestly

Still waiting on Heart Forth Alicia, which was supposed to come out April 2015 and is now "maybe 2020????"

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I backed this at a decent tier, and I didn't even realize it was expected out this year to begin with.

So sure, more time's fine with me.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
"Kickstarted game gets pushed back" is barely even news, it happens to literally all of them.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
the before/after comparision video is neat. the game has come a long way.

the delay makes sense. White Owls Studio is too busy working on that kill la kill game.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The geometrical upgrades, the models, everything from a pure expression/technical level looks improved, but I kinda feel like the old build had a slightly more vivid color palette. The town look kinda desaturated at parts, which I'm not sure I'm a fan of for a game with this kind of art style. Something more stark and impressionable would help this game a little bit, I feel.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think a Kickstarter has every made the original release date. I'm okay with this, Swerys team makes some really interesting games.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought this was planned for 2020, silly me! I was unfortunately unable to back this, but I'll be there day 1

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Man, the game looks brilliant. I don't know if this was a stylistic choice or a budget choice but I'm so glad they went with the art style they did. It's so much more charming than Deadly Premonition's realistic graphics.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Oh wow, that before/after video is a really nice surprise.

Thought the graphics were a delibaretely chosen style to compensate for the lack of budget, but the new version looks really detailed!

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
demo was fine but it needed improvement in frame rate

after playing thru The Missing i'm confident Swery won't let us down

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
A delay for polish is not something I would ever complain about for a Swery game. Take all the time you need sir, you've already got my cash

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I honestly didn't even remember the original release date. I thought it was 2020 all along. But it's looking great! It's nice to see some updated gameplay. I'm glad I backed this, but it's SWERY so I knew I wasn't going to be disappointed anyway.

Also, The MISSING: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories is a nice little game to check out that should keep you satisfied in the meantime.