• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't speak for the Xbox 360 but I know the PS4 didn't have one till late 2015, seeing as I spent $400 on it back in June 2015
That's right. It launched in November 2013 and dropped in fall of 2015, a little before the end of its second year. It was a big drop, $100, too. Switch dropping to $250 or $280 before this Christmas seems like a pretty reasonable prediction.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
That's right. It launched in November 2013 and dropped in fall of 2015, a little before the end of its second year. It was a big drop, $100, too. Switch dropping to $250 or $280 before this Christmas seems like a pretty reasonable prediction.

You will get a Black Friday deal and that will be it I think.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I think there will be some bundles of Switch + game (Smash, Pokemon if it's released) at 299$. I'm not so sure of a price cut for the SKU alone.

That's what I meant with "deal", sorry should have been more concrete. I don't think they will cut the price. Like you say they will bundle the console with one of the major games (Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Smash or Pokémon) and that's it.

Oct 26, 2017
The thing is, in the Switch's case, that will be well before it turns 2 years old if it got a price drop for the Holidays. Not that I'd be opposed to it getting a price drop but it would be too early, even compared to the PS4. It's more likely they'll do a permanent one at some point next year and perhaps a temporary one or a new bundle for the Holidays

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
That's what I meant with "deal", sorry should have been more concrete. I don't think they will cut the price. Like you say they will bundle the console with one of the major games (Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Smash or Pokémon) and that's it.

Although in Spain the Switch released at 330€ and it has been fluctuating for a while between 315€ and 279€. I'm not sure if it's a Nintendo of Europe thing or a retailer thing.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Although in Spain the Switch released at 330€ and it has been fluctuating for a while between 315€ and 279€. I'm not sure if it's a Nintendo of Europe thing or a retailer thing.
retailer thing. remember when Nintendo got clapped for "price fixing"? that cause systems and games to vary wildly in price now

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
One was also 100$ cheaper. Let's not forget that.

They don't hold the same value. The PS4 does things that require a higher price tag at release than the Switch does. It is similar to how the Switch is both a portable and a home console, is that fair to compare to the PS4? I think price is part of the appeal of the system, so why does it matter that Switch is $100 cheaper at launch than PS4, when that is a feature positive vs the PS4, just like the PS4 is more powerful than the Switch.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017

Retailer since Nintendo doesn't set the MSRP for Nintendo products in Europe anymore. It's also fluctuating in Germany (280€ - 320€).

Agreed. Though I'd wager that the Black Friday "deal" will just include some software rather than dropping the MSRP. Sony was able to make it quite far into this gen without an MSRP drop.

Yeah I clarified a few posts later what I meant with "deal". Like you I was talking about a bundle and not really a price cut.

Apr 5, 2018
Keizer, OR
It is amazing how many people are in here defending Sony. The thread is here to share Nintendo numbers. Lets celebrate that it has been a success and means they continue making awesome shit for us. Who cares if Sony sold more or Nintendo in the first year. You are not making money off of it so get over it. Congrats to Nintendo. Now please don't make me wait too long for the next Zelda.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
It is amazing how many people are in here defending Sony. The thread is here to share Nintendo numbers. Lets celebrate that it has been a success and means they continue making awesome shit for us. Who cares if Sony sold more or Nintendo in the first year. You are not making money off of it so get over it.
The success of the Switch scares some people.

Apr 5, 2018
Keizer, OR
The success of the Switch scares some people.
This is sadly a true statement. The best result would be all three have this success. Competition creates new ideas. IDK if Nintendo would be as successful with a traditional console, they went way outside the box and hit a Home Run, good for them. It means we will continue getting Zelda and Mario. I don't think the Zelda and Mario Switch games are 10's like most people but they are damn good games and I hope we see sequels this gen.

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably but it's still a bit too early to say that with any certainty.

I suppose...

But I can't imagine any world where a $300+ console sells ~16-17 million units it's first year on the market and doesn't go on to sell over 100 million. Especially a handheld.

Nintendo is confirming a long lifespan, so you have many levels of lowered price points and revisions/upgrades over time.

Honestly, at this point it has to be considered a failure if it doesn't pass Wii sales! lol...with its current momentum is will have to seriously veer of the rails and have a nosedive in the demand of Nintendo gaming for it to not eventually sell over 100 million.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Well, we don't know if Nintendo will be able to sustain the software support. Although they should be able to do it with their tighter focus, we're already seeing a fairly empty first half of 2018 right now.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose...

But I can't imagine any world where a $300+ console sells ~16-17 million units it's first year on the market and doesn't go on to sell over 100 million. Especially a handheld.

Nintendo is confirming a long lifespan, so you have many levels of lowered price points and revisions/upgrades over time.

Honestly, at this point it has to be considered a failure if it doesn't pass Wii sales! lol...with its current momentum is will have to seriously veer of the rails and have a nosedive in the demand of Nintendo gaming for it to not eventually sell over 100 million.

My God, you're making A LOT of arbitrary assumptions...

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose...

They're publicly saying it will have a long life span but long is a very subjective word. For all we know they could plus a GBA again in like a year.

Of course I very much doubt that's happening and I think it's extremely likely it'll sell over 100M but I'd be wary of considering that a lock 1 year in. Hell, if they sold twice as much this past FY I'd still be a bit wary in calling it a lock so soon.

My current odds are probably like 80%.

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're publicly saying it will have a long life span but long is a very subjective word. For all we know they could plus a GBA again in like a year.

Of course I very much doubt that's happening and I think it's extremely likely it'll sell over 100M but I'd be wary of considering that a lock 1 year in. Hell, if they sold twice as much this past FY I'd still be a bit wary in calling it a lock so soon.

My current odds are probably like 80%.

As a random consumer doing armchair analysis on a random Internet forum, not sure why I have to be wary of this when Nintendo themselves speculate the Switch selling 100+ million lol

Maybe we should email/tweet Kimishima to be wary with his comments!

Or like when Kaz in 2014 says the ps4 should exceed the successes of the ps2...be wary!

I think I'll be ok anonymously giving my speculations :P

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Honestly, i think the Switch is an overachiver, it's like the Nintendo games lacking for the Wii U were actually released for the Switch. Maybe its about hype, expectations, maybe it was about releasing them in the best available slot, who knows, they did it. It keeps things interesting, good for them.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely assumptions, dunno why they need to be accused as being arbitrary...

I can't imagine any world where a $300+ console sells ~16-17 million units it's first year on the market and doesn't go on to sell over 100 million.

at this point it has to be considered a failure if it doesn't pass Wii sales

with its current momentum is will have to seriously veer of the rails and have a nosedive in the demand of Nintendo gaming for it to not eventually sell over 100 million

Every single one of these quotes is based on nothing but an arbitrary assumption.