• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
congrats to nintendo.

Did i get this correct ?so in a year and a month only 4 3rd party games broke 1 million? that's not really encouraging .is it?
The true marks of concern trolling - not bothering to respond to any posts responding to you, except to the one that you could use (whether it's correct or not) to make things sound even worse.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can't sell what's not there. You should ask how 3rd parties feel about not releasing more games on the system besides some overpriced and old ports.
"Why did you release new hardware in the middle of a cycle and give us dev kits so late?"

That's probably what they would say.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
No, it shows that the 3DS and Wii peaked early. 3DS is absolutely logical since it got a price cut of $80 in its first year, and the Wii's sales pattern was noticeable for dropping off rather quickly. You need to show more than those two rather special cases to prove your point. How did the DS do, and what did GC and older consoles/handhelds do each year? Without that comparison, this doesn't prove that Nintendo systems peak early as a rule.

beyond that, the analysis is rather simplistic by taking numbers and assuming a pattern for arbitrary reasons (ex: 'because nintendo...!'). if we can establish a pattern, then we can maybe see if there are linking factors. if there are linking factors, we can see if they apply to the current situation or not. finding numbers and plotting them out is just step one.

Maur

Mar 26, 2018
I wonder if that fourth million-seller is actually NBA 2K18.

NBA, Skyrim, Mario and Rabbids, and Pokken.

I don't think so. It's most likely to be Fifa. So, the 4 non-Nintendo million seller would be:
- Mario and Rabbids
- Pokken
- Skyrim
- Fifa

It'd be nice, though, to receive some official information from Bethesda and EA. Either way, it seems EA should be happy, since their half-assed port still managed to sell over a million copies, which is even more impressive when you consider that all the Fifas EA released on Nintendo Wii barely managed to sell that same amount.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
No doubt will become the best selling system ever. The system that transcends generation. Goddamn.
200w.gif

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The true marks of concern trolling - not bothering to respond to any posts responding to you, except to the one that you could use (whether it's correct or not) to make things sound even worse.
concern trolling?

it was a legit question.and in my opinion it is a bad stat to have only 3 games from 3rd parties above 1 million after selling like hot cakes .not gonna hide it cause u wont like it or sugar coat it for u .

so deal with it I guess?

and no i m not gonna start listing more than 3 3rd party games on switch, as it will turn the thread into " oh but that game isnt good enough to sell above 1 mil"

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The difficulty of putting Xbox360 dev'd multiplats onto the ps3 did not stop publishers/developers from putting every major multiplat on it. Cause the audience for their games was definitely there.

Even if the Switch was launched in 2013 alongside the XboxOne/ps4...it would have missed out on most of the AAA multiplats in 2013-2015 that still appeared on the ps360

It's about Nintendo being a poor platform for certain new games whose market sales are driven by gamers who already own a pc/Xbox/ps specifically to play the best big screen tv version they can afford.

For the Switch, the ONLY reason to buy a AAA multiplat on it is if you prefer playing it portable on a 720p 6inch screen...otherwise, any gamer who cares about those games will buy it for their pc/Xbox/ps.

Publishers of big titles know this, so putting their effort on yet another port of their new big game that promise the worst sales is their lowest priority
IT is a lot harder to port a game like Doom to the Switch than it is to port it to the Xbox if you're already doing a PS4 version of the game

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
The moment you realize ARMS has probably sold more than the newest title in one of the most beloved franchises in the world. RIP SF5.

Sal_S

Oct 30, 2017
Hamilton
I don't think so. It's most likely to be Fifa. So, the 4 non-Nintendo million seller would be:
- Mario and Rabbids
- Pokken
- Skyrim
- Fifa

It'd be nice, though, to receive some official information from Bethesda and EA. Either way, it seems EA should be happy, since their half-assed port still managed to sell over a million copies, which is even more impressive when you consider that all the Fifas EA released on Nintendo Wii barely managed to sell that same amount.
Ya'll keep forgetting Bomberman.
Edit: Xenoverse 2 could be a good candidate as well.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I sleep better at night seeing Switch as the successor to the Vita. I'm glad to see the Vita successor getting the sales the Vita deserved.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
No, it shows that the 3DS and Wii peaked early. 3DS is absolutely logical since it got a price cut of $80 in its first year, and the Wii's sales pattern was noticeable for dropping off rather quickly.

Wii peaked at about the same time as N64 and later than GameCube.

I'm pretty sure NES peaked relatively late, but IIRC we have no yearly numbers for SNES to compare.

Wii was pretty in line with Nintendo home consoles in terms of HW sales life cycle, except there were tons of games released early on as people tried to cash in.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The attach rate for Nintendo first-party games will never cease to amaze me. Sure they're incredible products and arguably the main draws for all of their consoles but still. You simply don't see numbers like that anywhere else. Mario, Zelda, Kart and Splatoon will never stop selling either.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
It isn't essentially 1 holiday.

It had two holiday periods launch aligned.

It doesn't matter that one period was also its launch period.

It launched November 15 2013, so if the numbers are for 12 months, until November 15 2014, then is just 1 holiday period (2013)

If its 13 or 14 months then yes

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
The attach rate for Nintendo first-party games will never cease to amaze me. Sure they're incredible products and arguably the main draws for all of their consoles but still. You simply don't see numbers like that anywhere else. Mario, Zelda, Kart and Splatoon will never stop selling either.

So true. People can debate hardware trends between Switch and PS4 all they want I guess, but PS4 1st party sales compared to Switch 1st party is laughable.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Well, fuck. Money talks, so it looks like this series will be not for me anymore. Monolithsoft won't be stupid to not make XC3 at least very similar to XC2.

Hope they at least release a Xenoblade X port on Switch, that'll have to do. =/
For what it's worth, Monolithsoft had expressed interest in bringing over Xenoblade X to Switch, and these sales are just further incentive to do so. Nintendo is probably also eager to, since sales were so low for it that it may as well be a new title on Switch.

El Buga

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
For what it's worth, Monolithsoft had expressed interest in bringing over Xenoblade X to Switch, and these sales are just further incentive to do so. Nintendo is probably also eager to, since sales were so low for it that it may as well be a new title on Switch.
Yeah, there's that at least. I'm aware of their interest and, although I loathe the port idea, more people being aware of X may result in that story continuing.

Emilijo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Japanese console makers are stepping on necks. This is good stuff. Also yay at Mario selling the highest! Bow down to the king!

Malakai

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, if there is a market for their game on a platform, major publishers/developers will find a way to put it there.

There just isn't enough of a market for certain AAA multiplats on a Nintendo platform to bother the effort.

Trust me, if COD had the same attachment rates on Nintendo machines as on Xboxes, Activision would always put up with "the retooling"

The definition of a strawman argument. When people refer to third parties and Nintendo, they aren't talking just about AAA games. At most 15 to 25 retail AAA releases each year out of 250 to 300 games that have retail releases in the U.S. If you knew how Activision treated their Wii/Wii U releases of CoD, you wouldn't have used them in your example (or you are being blatantly disingenuous).

Oct 27, 2017
Well, fuck. Money talks, so it looks like this series will be not for me anymore. Monolithsoft won't be stupid to not make XC3 at least very similar to XC2.

Hope they at least release a Xenoblade X port on Switch, that'll have to do. =/

Or they'll go and make whatever they want like usual. Some of you need to realize devs actually sometimes make games they want to and don't just stick to what sold before...

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Uncharted 4 over 10 million? Horizon Zero Dawn on track to 10 million? GOW?

18.5 million number is sold, it was at 19.9 million shipped.

Certainly good numbers for Uncharted 4 and Horizon - but - these were on a much higher install base and how many were at full price? Maybe half? These Nintendo evergreens will still outsell them easily and do it without any price drop

Malakai

Oct 27, 2017
You can't understand a simple line graph?

It does as Nintendo consoles tend to peak early and then decline.

Line graph, for this particular data, isn't the most effective way to compare and contrast annual sales figures. From my understanding one would use a line graph for a shorter time period such as months, weeks and days.

Furthermore, one would need to define a normal "console cycle" before we start to label if a system peaked early or not, especially, considering console generations were shorter in the past.