• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
The 16m expected by analysts were a dream after all like most in previous thread posted... around 3 million in Q4 was what the US and JP sales hinted and matching the last Nintendo forecast of 15 million for FY.

Unless Switch has a big spike in sales it will probably selling below PS4 and of course way below Wii... in the opposite way Switch will crush XB1 and Wii U sales.
Switch needs to sell as much or more lifetime as Wii U + 3DS. So that's about 90 million.

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone once told me to go to this forum because this place in contrast to other places is where all the grown up conversation took place and developers were active...

Let's just be happy and wish them well?

You will never find a forum, anywhere, on the internet that is void of gamers who cannot handle Nintendo success.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
A handheld hitting GameCube numbers is impressive now?
th

HPH

Oct 25, 2017
Huge numbers for Nintendo. Incredible success for them and I expect even more positive sales news throughout the year. What a turnaround from 2 years ago.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
It is retail + digital... plus games not included. And the PS4 tie-rate posted is sold not shipped.

You don't know if they are included or not as Sony have never clarified this - they (like any company) are going to make their figures look as good as possible so why would they not include PS Plus downloads in the data? Its a grey area. Also Nintendos data does not include digital only titles leaving millions of software sales unaccounted for

Anyway both Switch / PS4 have a good tie ratio (especially given the horrible 3rd party support the Switch receives compared to the PS4) - be interesting to see how attach rates continue year to year as PS4 is hovering around 10 now so obviously slowed down after a strong start. Wonder if Nintendos will follow a different trajectory given its more aligned around first party software as oppose to 3rd party?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So it's kinda funny, Nintendo's quarterly Switch sales have basically always been tracking at about 4x their Japanese sales, so it's fairly easy to predict their global sales at any time simply by looking at Media Create reports.

Nov 11, 2017
Italy
Yeah because it's must be too hard for you to comprehend we are talking about Nintendo in a subject about Nintendo.

Maybe you should choose your words better then, because you wrote "handheld", not "Nintendo handheld", as if every handheld from every company as Ever sold better than Gamecube.

Well, Sony Vita, with a lot of marketing, didn't even reach Gamecube sales.

Go back to the shadow!

vkbest

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
switch is a home console you can take on the go with you. its a home console first. of course it competes with the PS4 and X1 so why deny that?

Can you use PS4 and ONE on the go? No, right? Then they are competing on different market. You can use the iPhone on the TV too, but that is not competing with other platforms.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
The 16m expected by analysts were a dream after all like most in previous thread posted... around 3 million in Q4 was what the US and JP sales hinted and matching the last Nintendo forecast of 15 million for FY.

Unless Switch has a big spike in sales it will probably continue selling below PS4 and of course way below Wii... in the opposite way Switch will crush XB1 and Wii U sales.

PS4 shipped 19.9m... 18.5m is sold-thought.

The PS4 has 3 extra weeks vs the Switch launch aligned, which is good for about 1 Million. That is not far off, so I don't think you can draw conclusions between sales of the devices. Nintendo Switch might sell more units during it's second and third years than PS4 did. Nintendo is already targeting 20 Million this year, PS4 sold 17.8 Million during it's same time period. If Nintendo meets it's numbers they will be about 100k units ahead of PS4, so I don't think we have enough data to assume Switch will sell less than PS4.

limshowron

Banned for multiple alt accounts
Banned
Apr 17, 2018
User Warned: Hostility. Please be respectful and polite when posting in threads.
Maybe you should choose your words better then, because you wrote "handheld", not "Nintendo handheld", as if every handheld from every company as Ever sold better than Gamecube.

Well, Sony Vita, with a lot of marketing, didn't even reach Gamecube sales.

Go back to the shadow!

Except unless you're crazy you can see we were talking about Nintendo. As that's why he mentioned when he brought up GameCube.

Please try to not be disingenuous.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Well, because most of their games will sell way better on the XBO than they would on a Nintendo machine...regardless of userbase size difference.

And well because XBO is pretty much just slightly less powerful PS4 tech wise so porting games to it is pretty easy. Lower res from 1080p to 900p and call it a day. For Switch there is way more retooling involved.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
*Sigh* I see we're doing the holiday season dance again. Can't we just accept that a direct comparison is never fair? PS4 launched in a holiday season, which means that typically the number of units made is often much larger, and the demand is also larger, allowing you to make those extra units you did. Switch launched in March, where expectations were much smaller (they were, March release was widely denounced as a bad idea until the actual launch happened). On the other hand, a release in the holiday season is almost always supply constrained, meaning that that quarter doesn't allow as many units to be sold as a non supply-constrained holiday does.

In short, the comparison will always be off.

15.4M actually: PS4 shipped 4.5M as of the end of 2013, and 19.9M as of the end of 2014.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
Great year Nintendo, on to the next!

Note: Stop making insincere comparisons which make your console of choice look good. Only compare consoles on a 12 month basis from launch so each console had the same amount of time and the same good and bad months to show their respective sales. It's not THAT hard.

limshowron

Banned for multiple alt accounts
Banned
Apr 17, 2018
Ah, the "I know you are but what am I" defense.
We are in the presence of a sparkling rhetorician here.

If you didn't provide any substance there's nothing to defend against. You just made a drive by one off post with a picture that insulted me that breaks the tos for no adequately explained reason.

I know you think you're smart but you may want to try harder. You aren't really helping yourself here.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And well because XBO is pretty much just slightly less powerful PS4 tech wise so porting games to it is pretty easy. Lower res from 1080p to 900p and call it a day. For Switch there is way more retooling involved.

Eh, if there is a market for their game on a platform, major publishers/developers will find a way to put it there.

There just isn't enough of a market for certain AAA multiplats on a Nintendo platform to bother the effort.

Trust me, if COD had the same attachment rates on Nintendo machines as on Xboxes, Activision would always put up with "the retooling"

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
*Sigh* I see we're doing the holiday season dance again. Can't we just accept that a direct comparison is never fair? PS4 launched in a holiday season, which means that typically the number of units made is often much larger, and the demand is also larger, allowing you to make those extra units you did. Switch launched in March, where expectations were much smaller (they were, March release was widely denounced as a bad idea until the actual launch happened). On the other hand, a release in the holiday season is almost always supply constrained, meaning that that quarter doesn't allow as many units to be sold as a non supply-constrained holiday does.

In short, the comparison will always be off.

Yup. Maybe in 3-4 years after the yearly sales normalize it'll be easier to compare, but not this soon. Until then Switch will always have an advantage between November and February and PS4 will always have an advantage between March and October.

Deader2818

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
You know what would likely have a bigger impact for the switch than releasing pokemon?

Fortnite.

If they release Fortnite in the switch you'll see a HUGE sales spike.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
If you didn't provide any substance there's nothing to defend against. You just made a drive by one off post with a picture that insulted me that breaks the tos for no adequately explained reason.

I know you think you're smart but you may want to try harder. You aren't really helping yourself here.
You suggested the poster was celebrating that the Switch was going to match GC numbers, but that isn't what they meant at all. They were just commenting on the fact that the Switch (which has already passed Wii U's sales and is closing in on GC next among Nintendo platforms) is going to get there before even having a fully fleshed out library and hitting its peak sales years.

So I thought for you to respond to that observation with a "wow switch matching gc is impressive now?" was intentionally obtuse. Apologies if I was rude, its all just for fun laughs anyway.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
You know what would likely have a bigger impact for the switch than releasing pokemon?

Fortnite.

If they release Fortnite in the switch you'll see a HUGE sales spike.

Probably not bigger than Pokemon, but possibly about as big. Pokemon will probably sell ~20M and a huge majority of that will be new buyers of the system.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Great result, sales that even optimistic people didn't expect pre-launch. Sad that some still feel the need to downplay the results. Grow up guys!

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Great sales for Switch and well deserved. Ambitious targets for this FY year, but Smash and Pokemon will help with that.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
But you don't. Both have apps so you can play on a PC or other device you may already own.

So instead of dragging around a PS4 I now have to carry around a PC? And if you are talking about a phone you can only get the app legit for Sony phones. Lets not even mention that there is input lag when playing with remote play.