• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
SX OS 2.2 Beta was released today, and it allows the use of USB mass storage devices. Just connect the hard drive to the dock and get access to as many terabytes of data as you wish.
I have no idea why Nintendo doesn't include stuff like this in the official firmware. All that does is tempting people to use the custom firmware.

Edit:
Works with an OTG adapter in portable mode

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 13364

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SX OS 2.2 Beta was released today, and it allows the use of USB mass storage devices. Just connect the hard drive to the dock and get access to as many terabytes of data as you wish.
I have no idea why Nintendo doesn't include stuff like this in the official firmware. All that does is tempting people to use the custom firmware.
I doubt many people are going to take the effort and risk of hacking their Switch to add storage space only accessible in docked mode when they can buy a large SD card for fairly cheap with more than enough storage for the typical number of digital games people will buy.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
That kind of make it difficult without the dock right? I can see why nintendo wouldn't allow that as they're trying to keep the experiences homogeneous.

OP
OP
Elven_Star

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt many people are going to take the effort and risk of hacking their Switch to add storage space only accessible in docked mode when they can buy a large SD card for fairly cheap with more than enough storage for the typical number of digital games people will buy.
Yeah, sure. The point is it's possible. Why on earth isn't it an option on the official firmware? More options for the customer is always good, isn't it?

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Prior to launch, I speculated that Nintendo would include this kind of feature. It didn't take me long to realize just how messy that would have been to market and explain to people. Good that this is an option for folks who don't make custom firmware and keeping their Switch docked.

I move mine around too much, so I don't think I'd use this even if it came in an official release.

Yeah, sure. The point is it's possible. Why on earth isn't it an option on the official firmware? More options for the customer is always good, isn't it?
Nintendo has to consider more than the super hardcore for supporting a hardware feature. It would take only one casual game to remove the Switch from the dock while accessing a game off the hard drive, potentially corrupting both pieces, for there to be a PR nightmare.

I can't see them supporting an external hard drive unless there's a straight-up docked-only configuration for the system.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't mind this as on (official) option. Especially since there are a few games I only play docked anyway.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has to consider more than the super hardcore for supporting a hardware feature. It would take only one casual game to remove the Switch from the dock while accessing a game off the hard drive, potentially corrupting both pieces, for there to be a PR nightmare.

I can't see them supporting an external hard drive unless there's a straight-up docked-only configuration for the system.
This exactly.

Woodsey

Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (3 Days) - Advocating Piracy
Works with an OTG adapter in portable mode

Mod edit - Image of pirated content removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017

Because they want to make it easy to quickly remove the Switch from the Dock. Even if you don't use that, Nintendo wants the option to be constantly available. Leads into the general Switch marketing.

DigitalTravis

Oct 28, 2017
Soo now I need an L shaped usb-c otg to double side an SSD to the back of my switch. I can't find one safe for switch?

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
so does it mean you can directly run the games from the HDD ? What happens if you disconnect the hard drive while playing ? I'd be curious to see if there are differences in loading speeds compared to sd cards and internal memory.

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017

Not really, as the option has the potential to degrade the user experience (by making large swaths of your system's data available only in docked mode). It's obvious that this conflicts with how Nintendo positions the Switch in the market and could create confusion for consumers, especially since vanishingly few Switch users will ever need "terabytes" of storage space.

It's definitely cool that this is possible, but it's easy to see why it's not a built-in feature.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
so does it mean you can directly run the games from the HDD ? What happens if you disconnect the hard drive while playing ? I'd be curious to see if there are differences in loading speeds compared to sd cards and internal memory.

You are fucked.
Like chances of breaking the switch, chances of corrupting data and chances of burning the hd

From just taking the switch out of the dock without closing the game

feroca

Banned
May 12, 2018
When hackers do a better job than you
Better would mean them finding a way to magically access the HDD docking/undocking it, without corrupting, losing access, or anything.

Right now is a glorified SD card that you can use either docked or undocked, not constantly, no swapping.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
They don't want people to use a feature that makes the intended experience worse. I guess you can call that somewhat arrogant, but being able to quickly switch between portable and docked mode is the core feature of the console and they don't want anything compromising that.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Ahhhhhh, custom firmwares. Man that gives me fantastic flashbacks to my old PSP days, was kinda deep into all that stuff and it was extremely fascinating.

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It kind of breaks the quick use of the switching mechanic, you'll have to wait to transfer the game from the hard drive to storage on the switch to use it as a portable.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
As has been stated, no, more options isn't always better.

Any time you add more layers, connections, or options you add potential failure points. As well you add the need for further user education and support.

For a system with the features of the Switch it doesn't make sense.

Now I get you, maybe they could put in an advanced user toggle buried in the options of the OS and then make a statement that certain features aren't fully supported and the user assumes all risk, and it still wouldn't be a good thing because people would still mess it up and go after Nintendo.

It is a tough decision. Would I like more options? Yes. Would it compromise the Switch to a degree? probably.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I guess USB mass storage support is possible now with cloud saves. Undocking the Switch and possibly corrupting your data shouldn't matter now that you can just download a save in the cloud.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

Edit:

That's a simple answer: The Switch is portable. As soon as the Switch leaves the dock it no longer has access to the connected storage device.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
As has been stated, no, more options isn't always better.

Any time you add more layers, connections, or options you add potential failure points. As well you add the need for further user education and support.

For a system with the features of the Switch it doesn't make sense.

Now I get you, maybe they could put in an advanced user toggle buried in the options of the OS and then make a statement that certain features aren't fully supported and the user assumes all risk, and it still wouldn't be a good thing because people would still mess it up and go after Nintendo.

It is a tough decision. Would I like more options? Yes. Would it compromise the Switch to a degree? probably.
Yep, the beauty of the Switch is there are very few options to bury it under anyway. Not ideal for hardcore option tweekers, but as a piece of mass market consumer tech it's wonderfully designed.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. My 128GB card is getting small quickly. Too bad it's for SX OS only, not gonna pay for cfw.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't use this since I have a 200GB MicroSD

But its very cool what they can do with custom firmware

Will be very useful down the line when I upgrade to the next switch iteration

I can turn my old one into something more useful

Oct 30, 2017
Hackers are killing it. Great emulation support, a built in cheat device manager for less grinding in some games. And now this. I'm glad I hacked my Switch

Oct 25, 2017
What if it corrupts your entire system, though?
how the fuck would that happen. At most it could corrupt the files on the external, but even then its extremely unlikely. The system would just throw a read error.

This is less risky for the switch than the battery dying while a game is saving, which is absolutely minimal risk as it is.

rdbaaa

Oct 27, 2017
More options for the customer is always good, isn't it?
downloadv9ifw.jpg

TeHi & BuSp

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Why is the topic on SX OS allowed? they did not steal code from the hacking scene and they made money?

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like they don't want to risk the consequence of people accidentally dislodging their switch from the dock while a game on their storage is still running, allowing for accidental corruption. Cause that'll happen a lot.