• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SlimeKnight

Jan 2, 2018
Playing this demo has reminded me how much I really miss the older style of MH games. World is good and certainly has some nice improvements, but it doesn't really grab me the way previous titles have; also, a non-portable MH is pretty much a dealbreaker for me.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah Valstrax's 180 fist slam is nasty. That was the only move of his I worried about. His rage state is the most stressful part. Other than that he's not too bad.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Do you need to know it all the time?

- No.

Turn that shit off. Only check it when needed.

None of the maps are convoluted like the Ancient Forrest, so you definitely don't need that one up all the time. The game lets you know when you need to sharpen and it definitely lets you know when you take a big hit.

When selecting what item to use the HUD pops up anyways so why would you need it up?

True, especially as I can still tell when I'm in Archdemon Mode.

Man, I want to change my Hunter's Gender, but don't wanna go through getting 50 Low Rank Dual Blades again!

Also, anyone know if the Generation Event Armor will be obtainable in GU?

I don't feel like playing those if I know they will return later.

EDIT: http://www.tnhunity.net/2017/01/30/monster-hunter-xgenerations-to-xx-what-data-is-transferred/

For the general game, all quest progress for single and multiplayer hunts will be transferred bar the HR rank. All hunters will be retained at HR8 in XX. This time around, we are also able to do a full character name and appearance change once upon transfer. Although, when changing genders, the armor parts that do not have an exact gender counterpart will be converted into Zenny instead. Another point to take note is that all accessories will be unequipped during transfer and if your box is full, the accessory will be exchanged for Zenny, so watch out.

I hope so!

ElFly

Oct 27, 2017
no lies detected.
Atlal Ka is by far the most fun boss/scripted encounter they ever created. Turning it up to eleven like with Valstrax probably helped.

and it would also become an entirely different game. I still don't understand why people want to "fix" the series instead of just buying another game instead. The heaviness of the combat and other quirks are what makes it special. remove them, and you get a generic character action game. What's the point?

This is simply false

Please count the amount of people going "oh I can't go back to this after World" compared to the amount of people going, to pick a random feature, "oh man I missed separate areas with a load screen in between"

They fixed the game, and it remained monster hunter, so much that people now can't go back to the old games

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
True, especially as I can still tell when I'm in Archdemon Mode.

Man, I want to change my Hunter's Gender, but don't wanna go through getting 50 Low Rank Dual Blades again!

Also, anyone know if the Generation Event Armor will be obtainable in GU?

I don't feel like playing those if I know they will return later.
All the event armor in Generations will be obtainable in GU at some point, but the DLC quests will have to be re-released first.

Oh, and if system transferring from 3DS to Switch, you do have the option of switching genders.

Tenbatsu

Oct 27, 2017
Does Vaphalk not have a tail swipe or anything? I keep running behind him to poke his tail with my tiny knife and the only thing I really saw to watch out for was that 180 turn-stab sometimes.

On the other hand, I ran out of time so maybe the penalty is just not doing enough damage.
It does have a 360 spinning attack and some other new moves in G rank. The demo is only the hi rank Vaphalk.

Scything

Oct 25, 2017
So there's nothing at all Generations-only? I remember hearing something about charm farming changing, but I really don't want to play one of these on 3DS again if I don't have to.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
So there's nothing at all Generations-only? I remember hearing something about charm farming changing, but I really don't want to play one of these on 3DS again if I don't have to.
They fixed a bug in the "Coal Hearted" quest people often used for charm farming, but it seems there's another DLC quest which is even better for farming so it seems to even out. Otherwise, Generations Ultimate is a complete superset of Generations' content.

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man, this demo is just enough to tide me over. I'm so happy to play this. So glad they localized it. Put 70ish hours into World but I prefer so much about the older style.

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
I had a blast with the demo. (brand new to monster hunter) I don't know the combos and when to use traps and everything but just using the basic combat I had a fun time beating the beginner monster. I died once being careless about my health but was able to beat him in under 10 minutes.

I was using the bug glaive and use the arts(striker) that gave me 3 moves. The bug storm seemed like it was damn strong when i had the monster stunned to pull it off.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I had a blast with the demo. (brand new to monster hunter) I don't know the combos and when to use traps and everything but just using the basic combat I had a fun time beating the beginner monster. I died once being careless about my health but was able to beat him in under 10 minutes.

I was using the bug glaive and use the arts(striker) that gave me 3 moves. The bug storm seemed like it was damn strong when i had the monster stunned to pull it off.

That's amazing, seems like you would do really well in this game if you join us.
Just so you know, arts also change your default moveset, striker being the one with the least options avalible but it lets you equip 3 arts. In the main game you will be able to select which arts you want to carry, though some will be locked to certain weapons.

Re; Traps, if you see the monster drolling, it means its hungry and it will act way slower. Traps will also be more effective and it will take them longer to get free from them. You could use traps to get you enough time to break some specific parts of the monster and make the battle easier for you.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

In addition to what Anteo said about traps, some monsters are immune to certain ones, while others are immune to all types of traps. It pays off to experiment with traps when/if you get the full game.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017

Did you not know how to use the kinsect? That's pretty impressive if so.

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
That's amazing, seems like you would do really well in this game if you join us.
Just so you know, arts also change your default moveset, striker being the one with the least options avalible but it lets you equip 3 arts. In the main game you will be able to select which arts you want to carry, though some will be locked to certain weapons.

Re; Traps, if you see the monster drolling, it means its hungry and it will act way slower. Traps will also be more effective and it will take them longer to get free from them. You could use traps to get you enough time to break some specific parts of the monster and make the battle easier for you.

Work is a bit slow today so I'm doing some research and looking up beginner tips on youtube. I'll have to use the demo time to play around with weapons and figure out what is the most appealing, preorder is already in.

Oct 27, 2017
I love World but I just wasn't feeling this demo. It is not bad but feels so much slower and sluggish than World. Hard to get used to the controls and load screens after World.

That being said I'll probably pick this up after a price drop or something

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017

Awesome man. You'll pick up all the finer details if you end up playing the full game. All the village stuff is basically one giant tutorial to ease you into everything. Sounds like you'll have little trouble grasping how things work.

Def give Barioth a go for a better challenge. That's a pretty good skill check monster for beginners IMO.

Scything

Oct 25, 2017
...Just realised his name isn't actually Valphalk. Where did I get that from?

Is the Gunlance more powerful than the SNS in the demo? I'm getting like 10 minute faster times with it and if anything I'm getting less up-time with the weapon.

Is the Gunlance more powerful than the SNS in the demo? I'm getting like 10 minute faster times with it and if anything I'm getting less up-time with the weapon.
Funny enough, you may have picked it up from Puzzle & Dragons, since that had a MHXX banner that featured Valstrax and Bloodbath Diablos under their original Japanese names.

Massacre Demon Diablos still sounds a bit better, but I'm sure the character limit would have been a nightmare if they kept it.

Scything

Oct 25, 2017
Funny enough, you may have picked it up from Puzzle & Dragons, since that had a MHXX banner that featured Valstrax and Bloodbath Diablos under their original Japanese names.

Massacre Demon Diablos still sounds a bit better, but I'm sure the character limit would have been a nightmare if they kept it.

No idea what Puzzle and Dragons even is, but maybe through osmosis with someone who did yeah. As long as I didn't make it up out of whole cloth.

Tenbatsu

Oct 27, 2017

Depending on the stance but Valor Gunlance is powerful indeed.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017

For some reason they massively buffed gunlance shells in the demo but not the full game. At least, that was the case with the Japanese demo.

Mr.LightMan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Starting to get back into it. My kill time on Barioth is going down and I'm starting to do it with more weapons. I tried valstrax and boy my Lord was that a fun fight, tat dive bomb just murders. Still haven't been able to kill it with a squad.

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Does it seem like they just... didn't scale up the UI icons for the Switch version or something? They seem sort of absurdly low-resolution, and not really in an intentional way.

Still, this demo's got me quite excited for the full game. It's really going to be nice to have a both-TV-and-handheld MH like they had tried to do with 3U on 3DS/Wii U, with that weird transfer app.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Does it seem like they just... didn't scale up the UI icons for the Switch version or something? They seem sort of absurdly low-resolution, and not really in an intentional way.

Still, this demo's got me quite excited for the full game. It's really going to be nice to have a both-TV-and-handheld MH like they had tried to do with 3U on 3DS/Wii U, with that weird transfer app.

They didn't bother with the UI, as DF said last year:

Jessmo24

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I
Thank goodness, I thought I was the only one caring about framerate.

The reason I never bought the original Generations is 30fps felt like such a downgrade, coming from the superb unlocked framerate in 4U on New 2/3DS.

I'm also really disappointed, This isn't even really a glorified 3ds port. I popped in BOTW after the demo, just to get some perspective on how lazy is port is. It really looks 2 generations behind. The worst part about this is, I'll likely still buy it.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Valphalk (or valfalk) is it's japanese name. It was changed to Valstrax for the english version. Sort of like how Rathalos is Liolaeus, except this is a less aggressive change.

For MH games that take a long time to come over, even if I didn't import and play them my brain takes a long time to reconcile their JP names with the english ones. I guess the reason is that MH is one of the only series where I look up everything new immediately because I have no fear of spoilers or whatever. Happens with other stuff too, I still call crouching fire 'siege mode' because it's easier.

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
So give the 2nd monster a try. Still did zero research on the weapons but was about to beat Barioth Hunt with 5 minutes left. Got a bit cocky and probably burned too many healing potions then normal but I was able to cut the tail off as well.

Saw he was limping and the traps became pretty effective. Again even with the little knowledge I have it was pretty fun and should be interesting to see how i do once I learn weapon combos and a bit more of the game.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So give the 2nd monster a try. Still did zero research on the weapons but was about to beat Barioth Hunt with 5 minutes left. Got a bit cocky and probably burned too many healing potions then normal but I was able to cut the tail off as well.

Saw he was limping and the traps became pretty effective. Again even with the little knowledge I have it was pretty fun and should be interesting to see how i do once I learn weapon combos and a bit more of the game.
Glad you're enjoying the demo!

I hope you write a post like this after your first attempt at Valstrax.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017

Traps last much longer when monsters are tired, which you can tell is happening by them drooling and stopping to taunt a lot. Limping on the other hand is an indication of low health, if they're limping you can capture them if you have traps and tranquilizer bombs (which is functionally the same as killing but with different rewards). Dunno if the demo gives tranqs but it's a good thing to get the hang of in the full game.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Someone first experience with generations after world.

Worth a watch, great commentary, says pros and cons, how he feels after world etc

Great insight

This was a very interesting watch.

I think it's true when he said people will be paying attention to this game.

As even if they don't buy it, it will at least show them that World can have more Variety in their Monsters.

TheWanderer

Jul 14, 2018
Does Vaphalk not have a tail swipe or anything? I keep running behind him to poke his tail with my tiny knife and the only thing I really saw to watch out for was that 180 turn-stab sometimes.

On the other hand, I ran out of time so maybe the penalty is just not doing enough damage.

Nope, no tail swipe. However he does have a move where he releases all the exhaust on his engines to anyone behind him and to his sides which can also definitely destroy anyone that's in those areas. Pretty sure it reaches at least part of the tail too.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
I main valor HBG in XX and I posted this before but will repost it again here for you:

To activate valor mode, fill up the valor gauge by firing at the monster. You can fill your gauge faster by using valor reloading.

Once you're in valor mode, you will be granted the ability to do crouching fire and the ability to run and slide after a roll/reload. During a slide or a roll, you are also able to cancel and instantly go into crouching fire mode. Do note that you will lose your valor mode over time and in order to maintain the gauge, you would have to keep firing at the monster.

Below is an extremely high level gameplay demonstrating brave style heavy bow in MHXX for Switch against a max level Bloodlust Diablos. I will spoiler it just in case:

Fuck, I was never able to be graceful like this with the HBG when I played XX. I know there are some settings you have to change (camera, bowgun aiming etc) so your quick-aim snaps to the monster. Got any tips?

Regarding Valphalk, he's an elder dragon so they're basically magical beings in MH universe but his energy isn't really rocket fuel but dragon energy (same as dragon blight and Jho's dragon breath). His wings are just exhausting excess energy.

latest

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, I was never able to be graceful like this with the HBG when I played XX. I know there are some settings you have to change (camera, bowgun aiming etc) so your quick-aim snaps to the monster. Got any tips?
Press L to center your view on the monster and then hold R to go into over the shoulder aiming... that's all it is.

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
Whelp, cant beat Valstrax. Tried about 7 times but felt i did some progress on the final attempt. First two I don't think i even landed a single attack.

At the end i gravitated to longsword and felt i did pretty well. Went back to striker arts as i dont know the main combos and it felt pretty good.

I think im still too aggressive and i try to sheath my weapon and run, not sure if that is best or learn to navigate with my weapon out.

Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
So I cleared the intermediate monster with 7 minutes to spare with the DB after not being able to complete it last night with the lance. So either I'm completely terrible with the lance in this game as compared to MHW, or the lance is not as good in old gen as it is in MHW.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MH seems like a game I'd absolutely loved but I've tried the Wii U, the 3DS and now the Switch demos and I always get so bored playing it. What am I doing wrong? Why is it so slow?

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
After thinking about it for a while, I think I'll wait on this until I've gotten tired of MHW and the next PoE league. Should be able to pick up a decently cheap used copy by then. Probably going to burn out on MH if I get this at launch.