• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Hm. I can't decide if I still like charge blade like world. It just feels slower. But then I don't know what my other option is because I like the versatility the charge blade offers.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I managed to get Valstrax limping before I ran out of ammo with Adept HBG...can't find any weakness chart so not sure if I'm hitting the right spots. Also it seems like the key is watching his wings, for example when he switches them into forward position he's usually gonna do that somersault move. I've got the hang of him now for sure, just need to do more damage.

Also as usual for a demo the HBG they give you sucks ass, lol.

Haven't really messed with valor style yet since normal 3 siege isn't very exciting anyways, and I'm rusty enough at old MH that I need to stick to what I'm used to for now.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I managed to get Valstrax limping before I ran out of ammo with Adept HBG...can't find any weakness chart so not sure if I'm hitting the right spots.
If Kiranico's accurate (and I expect they are),
Wing Legs: 60, Head/Body: 45, Neck: 40, everything else pretty bad

It's a very fun fight, though, with lots of exaggerated moves like some sort of flying Glavenous. I think I like it.

lori

Oct 25, 2017
are we gonna have an era discord for MHGU? or is there a general monhun era discord that'll have us?

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
If Kiranico's accurate (and I expect they are),
Wing Legs: 60, Head/Body: 45, Neck: 40, everything else pretty bad

It's a very fun fight, though, with lots of exaggerated moves like some sort of flying Glavenous. I think I like it.

Just took a look at the LBG they give you and it has rapid pierce 1 and some sleep ammo so maybe that will work better. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

But yeah he's kind of a dick but certainly not boring.

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
For people wondering about the slowness of the weapons in Generations, the animations are based around a concept called Anticipation. A really underappreciated technique to give weight to an action. I strongly recommend taking a look at this video to maybe gain a better understanding of how classic Monster Hunter handles the weapons.

Deleted member 33382

User request account closure
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
MH seems like a game I'd absolutely loved but I've tried the Wii U, the 3DS and now the Switch demos and I always get so bored playing it. What am I doing wrong? Why is it so slow?

I suppose the demos are missing a core gameplay loop of hunting to improve gear which makes the game feel more personal. But if the combat isn't clicking the game may not be for you. What got me into the franchise was local coop at university a long time ago.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
are we gonna have an era discord for MHGU? or is there a general monhun era discord that'll have us?
We have a discord already, the link is probably in the MHW OT.

So I cleared the intermediate monster with 7 minutes to spare with the DB after not being able to complete it last night with the lance. So either I'm completely terrible with the lance in this game as compared to MHW, or the lance is not as good in old gen as it is in MHW.
Lance was fucking ridiculously busted in MHW, it was basically impossible to die using it in my experience.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I fell in love with the insect glaive when it was first introduced, but I feel like it's made me a worse player since I never learned how to mount monsters the "correct" way (I just pole vault onto them).

I actually haven't been able to pull off a mount in the demo yet; is mounting still in?

Tenbatsu

Oct 27, 2017
I fell in love with the insect glaive when it was first introduced, but I feel like it's made me a worse player since I never learned how to mount monsters the "correct" way (I just pole vault onto them).

I actually haven't been able to pull off a mount in the demo yet; is mounting still in?
Yes, mounting is still in. Give aerial glaive a try, it's really fun.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
This tail cut is amazing. I also seem to be getting better with my LS counters.
Nice tail cuts y'all.

Sure is, just need to hit monsters with jump attacks. The problem might be that there's certain parts of some monsters that won't build the mount status when hit, but it's usually not an issue as most of the monster is fine. A long yellow slash visual effect appears when your hit built mount status.

I don't think I ever realized you can joust after shield bash. That makes me interested to give valor another shot.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Can you mount Valstrax? Aerial attacks are hard to land with HBG but I go for them when I can. But both times I've landed 3-4 in succession he just fell over with no mount animation. I assumed the first time was because we were in an awkward spot but the second was just in a wide open normal area.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Can you mount Valstrax? Aerial attacks are hard to land with HBG but I go for them when I can. But both times I've landed 3-4 in succession he just fell over with no mount animation. I assumed the first time was because we were in an awkward spot but the second was just in a wide open normal area.
Pretty sure you can mount every monster in the game except Nakarkos and Lao Shan. From playing aerial HBG I know that if you knock the monster down for the mount but aren't close enough, they'll get back up after a few seconds and your opportunity will be wasted. With aerial HBG if you use X+A aerial downward shots and see the monster drop you better be ready to roll toward the monster as soon as you land to get close enough to get on in time.

Elshoelace

Oct 25, 2017
MH seems like a game I'd absolutely loved but I've tried the Wii U, the 3DS and now the Switch demos and I always get so bored playing it. What am I doing wrong? Why is it so slow?
I had the same experience with tri, it wasnt until I tried the right weapon in a later game that it clicked. What weapon were you running?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I had the same experience with tri, it wasnt until I tried the right weapon in a later game that it clicked. What weapon were you running?

Same for me. In Tri Sword and Shield and Great Sword I hated. I finally tried hammer and that's when it started to click. Then I got long sword and those have been my mains for the last few games. For Gen Ultimate I'm planning to branch away from my norm and play something I have never touched.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I've mounted Valtrax numerous times in the demo, though as a blademaster.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I've only played MHW, but I enjoyed this some, just the controls feel super weird. Hopefully it'll come with time, but I'm just worried I'll not be 100% playing when I'm switching between this and World a lot. I play with the Switch Axe and it feels much better in World than here imo. They really changed the move set it seems in World.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've only played MHW, but I enjoyed this some, just the controls feel super weird. Hopefully it'll come with time, but I'm just worried I'll not be 100% playing when I'm switching between this and World a lot. I play with the Switch Axe and it feels much better in World than here imo. They really changed the move set it seems in World.

the move set depends on your style. The one in World is based on "guild style".

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017

I will definitely try to stick with the weapons that I feel were made worse in World, or not changed/improved significantly. I don't like new HBG at all so that's why I'm using that right now. I do actually love the moveset changes for Hammer in MHW, but the constant sliding gets absolutely infuriating sometimes since you don't always want to aerial spin. No such problem in this game.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
the move set depends on your style. The one in World is based on "guild style".

Ah, I see. Thanks for letting me know. I noticed that the combo art is the combo from World where you go from the unlimited club swings to spinning into sword mode, so that's nice. I use that combo a lot in World, so I'll have to get use to waiting for the meter to fill now. Any advice on getting used to switching between modes and sheathing? It feels much less fluid here than World which is throwing me off. I was still able to kill the ice monster on first try though, so I must be doing something right lol.

Elshoelace

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I see. Thanks for letting me know. I noticed that the combo art is the combo from World where you go from the unlimited club swings to spinning into sword mode, so that's nice. I use that combo a lot in World, so I'll have to get use to waiting for the meter to fill now. Any advice on getting used to switching between modes and sheathing? It feels much less fluid here than World which is throwing me off. I was still able to kill the ice monster on first try though, so I must be doing something right lol.
Ya the Switching doesnt increase your phials luke in World, but in Valor once the bar is full you can hit R after any attack and keep doing powerful switching combos.

Also in the full game you can pair Demons riot, which makes your phials go down based on time not hits and energy charge which will reload phials so you basically just stay in sword.

Edit : you can still do the wild swing and switch combo by doing an upward axe attack, it wont let you do it at anytime like in world. So hit a and x and then wild swing.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Ya the Switching doesnt increase your phials luke in World, but in Valor once the bar is full you can hit R after any attack and keep doing powerful switching combos.

Also in the full game you can pair Demons riot, which makes your phials go down based on time not hits and energy charge which will reload phials so you basically just stay in sword.

Edit : you can still do the wild swing and switch combo by doing an upward axe attack, it wont let you do it at anytime like in world. So hit a and x and then wild swing.

Thanks for the tips. I found the wild swing after playing around, but I couldn't get the combo to come out with XA. I guess I'll just keep practicing. I had a little trouble with XA moves, but I'm guessing it's going from PS4 to Switch buttons. Wish the demo had a little tutorial room for trying out the different classes, but it's not a deal breaker.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I've started playing with charge blade a little bit. This weapon slaps. It seemed so confusing for me in 4U but I guess I never really put in the time to try and learn.

Jan 25, 2018
This entire thread is a great example of why this should have been released before World came out. Predictably, a good 60% of the comments are "I can't go back".

That said, I'm just waiting on that preorder to ship so I can transfer my Generations info and finish my Switch Axe collection.

This entire thread is a great example of why this should have been released before World came out. Predictably, a good 60% of the comments are "I can't go back".

That said, I'm just waiting on that preorder to ship so I can transfer my Generations info and finish my Switch Axe collection.
Yeah, I'm glad that they decided to release it eventually, but nothing about Capcom's handling has been intelligent.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I've started playing with charge blade a little bit. This weapon slaps. It seemed so confusing for me in 4U but I guess I never really put in the time to try and learn.

Yeah it's a great weapon overall. The overhead swings can KO, it's fun to block. And the sword/shield gives you some movement.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This entire thread is a great example of why this should have been released before World came out. Predictably, a good 60% of the comments are "I can't go back".[...]

and given their posting history (in the old country and discord) regarding the franchise on Nintendo consoles, 80% wouldn't have played it regardless. The only difference, instead of "can't go back" their pretext would be more along the lines of "why should I play this when da future™ is on the way".
Not "being able to go back" is just bullshit.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
So I cleared the intermediate monster with 7 minutes to spare with the DB after not being able to complete it last night with the lance. So either I'm completely terrible with the lance in this game as compared to MHW, or the lance is not as good in old gen as it is in MHW.
Which art are you using?

If you want a Lance like in World then you need to use Striker IIRC.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Yeah, I'm glad that they decided to release it eventually, but nothing about Capcom's handling has been intelligent.

In their eyes, they REALLY wanted World to be a success, and Generations has potential to eat some sales. Especially since World was created specifically for the Western market, they didn't want anything competing with it, certainly not their own games, during its release. Since Generations Ultimate (called XX in Japan) released in March 2017, the earliest the West could get it would be Q3 or Q4 2017, which would be too close to World's January release. So they decided to release it long after World finished its sales run on consoles at least.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I dunno', to me it seems like their goal for MH was really to get World to take off and make MH even more successful outside of Japan and I think they succeeded. No matter how you slice it, MHGU was never the next step for MH and I think that's always been visible from their intentions with World. It comes off as very dismissive when you say that nothing about their handling has been intelligent when World was a huge hit and by all odds MHGU should still sell well.

jahasaja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I do understand this line of thinking. MHW is Capcom best selling game of all time. They made a huge gamble and it paid off.

MHG is my favourite MH game however it has the worst opening off all the MH games I played and the least beginner friendly. I think Capcom knew what they were doing.

Chump

Jan 11, 2018
First time I try any Monster Hunter Game. Just spent 10 min with this..wow, it looks and feels so rough. And movement is so fucking slow and sluggish. Any tips? Tried the beginner monster and died twice.

It is hard to judge from a demo if you never played before. I hated Monster Hunter when I first tried it. I went and read about different weapon types, watched youtube videos to learn how to play.

It was well worth it and is an amazing experience when it clicks. The real game starts you off in town and give you missions against basic monsters before you fight tougher ones.

I use the switch axe BTW. You can change it from an axe to a sword. Shealthing your weapon for mobility is important

Elshoelace

Oct 25, 2017

All the Switch Axe love in this thread is warming my heart. Though I have a soft spot for SnS too and can't decide what to run in GenU

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I still can't find a good group for Valstrax. I'm not the greatest player ever but am not dying. I just need squad to live during dives :P

Edit: Of course just as I say that I get hit with a bullshit flat wing X_X

Last edited:

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Dk5knKdVAAAlYci.jpg

Maybe not the best time ever, but I did it. Adept HBG ended up being the better option once I learned most of the tells for his attacks. The somersault move went from the bane of my existence to the best source of damage and reloads.

I feel like I could absolutely roll this bastard with a proper pierce HBG.

Tenbatsu

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe not the best time ever, but I did it. Adept HBG ended up being the better option once I learned most of the tells for his attacks. The somersault move went from the bane of my existence to the best source of damage and reloads.

I feel like I could absolutely roll this bastard with a proper pierce HBG.
Great job with the hbg there.

For hammer, I recommend valor stance. Such a joy to play.

Last edited: