• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Went live at midnight PST. Downloading now. Time to see what everyone has been talking about since I only jumped in with MH: World.

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
Translators note: MH means Monster Hunter (should be in the thread-title)

OP
OP
SimpleCRIPPLE

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Man, sprinting not auto-sheathing my GS and not being able to shoulder charge / roll is rough. It feels so much stiffer.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Is this a permanent demo or more like a pre-release beta thing? Does it have online play? If I have never plaeyed a MH before, is this a good opprtunity to see if the series is for me?

Eslayer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying this demo more than the MHW beta

This might be my first MH game...

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Man, sprinting not auto-sheathing my GS and not being able to shoulder charge / roll is rough. It feels so much stiffer.

Auto-sheath was the worst (for me anyway)! The first thing I turned off after the intro.

Gonna download this out of curiosity. Been spending a lot of time in MHW lately, so that should be a trip.

Last edited:

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Is this a permanent demo or more like a pre-release beta thing? Does it have online play? If I have never plaeyed a MH before, is this a good opprtunity to see if the series is for me?

I haven't tried *this* demo so I'm not sure how much you get to see, but I'll say this. It was very easy for me to tell that MHX for the 3ds was not for me within an hour or two of playing it--if it's really not for you, you'll most likely know pretty early on.

However, for MHW, I enjoyed the multiple hours I spent with the demo and didn't realize until purchasing the full game that it still wasn't really clicking. I think because the switch game is based on the 3ds game, you should know earlier on (as I was personally lured in by the super pretty graphics and how much less clunky the game felt), but I personally have experienced it both ways.

stalfos

Oct 27, 2017
Did one quick Maccao hunt before bed just to try out valor style. Feels weird going back after 500+ hours in World but it honestly didn't feel like it will take that much readjustment. In just the one hunt this already feels much better than playing on 3DS just by virtue of having actual analog sticks.

OP
OP
SimpleCRIPPLE

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Well I beat the beginner quest with LS, which is more then I managed to do with any of the old MH games. The tweaks to both GS and LS in MHW really helped make the weapons fun for me. I think I'm going to give SnS a try since I didn't really play it much in MHW and I won't know what I'm missing. Ha.

Update: Lance actually feels pretty good. As far as I can tell, you just lose the power wall, but everything else seems to be there.

Last edited:

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The REAL MonHun experience right here folks.

No hand holding nonsense to be seen for miles!

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying this demo more than the MHW beta

This might be my first MH game...
That's an interesting take.

I've played pretty much all the MH's (all with varying degrees of length) and found the World beta to be amazing with how well it pretty much onboards you as a player; whereas XX felt like the worst, especially if you aren't a fan of the series.

Now, I much prefer the endgame/long game of XX/GU much more than that of World, but I still feel Worlds opening hours (sans all the cutscenes) to be the best MH ever had to offer. What has made this one more appealing than World, if you don't mind of course?

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I haven't tried *this* demo so I'm not sure how much you get to see, but I'll say this. It was very easy for me to tell that MHX for the 3ds was not for me within an hour or two of playing it--if it's really not for you, you'll most likely know pretty early on.

However, for MHW, I enjoyed the multiple hours I spent with the demo and didn't realize until purchasing the full game that it still wasn't really clicking. I think because the switch game is based on the 3ds game, you should know earlier on (as I was personally lured in by the super pretty graphics and how much less clunky the game felt), but I personally have experienced it both ways.
OK thanks, funny think is that I have MH4 on Wii U but never played it. I'm not the type of person to buy stuff and not try them but this one was part of a second hand sale.

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Attempting to get out of my comfort zone in this game and stepping away from using Greatsword. Time to practice Charge Blade now.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017

MHW wasn't holding your hand though. It just got rid of a bunch of annoying, obtuse bullshit people didn't like, like having to buy pickaxes and bug nets to be able to harvest mineral and catch bugs.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018

Yes, one of the worst selling handheld Monster Hunters is the REAL experience.

Your case would be a lot better if this was a 4 sequel, but X is not regarded very highly by "veterans" either.

Oct 25, 2017
Learned Rocket Dragon is available to hunt in demo.
Tried facing it first instead of the easier two.

Whew. That thing is no joke.
Still, I've been trying to get used to the controls amd mechanics after hours of World.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Your second point is valid but your first one not as much.

Sales often mean shit as far as a game's quality goes.
I made sure to have two points, sales numbers and quality. Because someone will always try to argue one or the other.

XX is a fine game, and so is World. Tired of the fans from both sides acting like one of the other is worse, because guess what. The people who have been playing from the PS2 era think both are bad.

Oct 25, 2017
I made sure to have two points, sales numbers and quality. Because someone will always try to argue one or the other.

XX is a fine game, and so is World. Tired of the fans from both sides acting like one of the other is worse, because guess what. The people who have been playing from the PS2 era think both are bad.
Yeah, everything has to be a competition, it'll never end.
Both seem like good games.
That's the only victory.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tried it and I know why Monster Hunter wasn't something for me before World. Tri also didn't grab me so I can skip this one and wait for the next Switch title, but good for everyone else that was waiting for this :)

Mr G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Yes, one of the worst selling handheld Monster Hunters is the REAL experience.

Your case would be a lot better if this was a 4 sequel, but X is not regarded very highly by "veterans" either.
Have to correct ya there my friend, while not better than 4 the game is a nice change of pace with the different playstyles.
Add to that the amount of armors and monsters to fight it's really jampacked with content.
Also you can play it as normal monster hunter without the skills if you feel like it.
Only minor complaint is that not all the monster make use of the enviroments but that's understandable seeing how they come from different generations.

Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter World will be my ultimate MH jam, but I'll give the demo for this a try. (MH in bed is gonna ruine my sleep cycle).

I've been thinking about this for a bit and honestly I think its just the color (MHW looked bland)

To each their own, but have you been to the zone in MHW that looks like an underwater choral reef, except on land? (I forget the name.) It's seriously gorgeous.

Last edited:

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Have to correct ya there my friend, while not better than 4 the game is a nice change of pace with the different playstyles.
Add to that the amount of armors and monsters to fight it's really jampacked with content.
Also you can play it as normal monster hunter without the skills if you feel like it.
Only minor complaint is that not all the monster make use of the enviroments but that's understandable seeing how they come from different generations.
There is nothing to correct, I have played through both X and XX. Styles completely break the game, bushido and aerial trivialize everything aside from maybe deviants like bloodbath and hyper silver. The general consensus was that styles and skills were a mistake, even if X had a really good wealth of content. There was a reason X sold a decent amount worse than 4, XX sales fell off a cliff, and the community in Japan was significantly less expansive.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
The upside of Generations over World is that it objectively has more content (35 in World vs nearly 100 large monsters, 129 if you count smaller monsters in Generations), which makes sense considering it's the culmination of the original Monster Hunter style. If you can get into Generations as much as World, you'll have a lot more content to play with.

Last edited:

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Eh.. don't like it as much as World, as expected.

It's not the graphics, the loading screens, no moving while healing, etc. That stuff I can tolerate. The hunter just feels awful to control.

Oct 25, 2017
It is a little rough to go back to this after World. Besides, i'm a little rusty since I haven't played World in a while either.

giphy.gif

Mr G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
There is nothing to correct, I have played through both X and XX. Styles completely break the game, bushido and aerial trivialize everything aside from maybe deviants like bloodbath and hyper silver. The general consensus was that styles and skills were a mistake, even if X had a really good wealth of content. There was a reason X sold a decent amount worse than 4, XX sales fell off a cliff, and the community in Japan was significantly less expansive.
Well let's agree to disagree i already said you're not forced to use styles and you can play it like any other monster hunter.
The options to break the game are there doesn't mean you have to use them, same with the crit mythra build in xenoblade 2.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
It's nice for switch owners to have a monster hunting option but, if you have any means of playing it, Monster Hunter World is the best choice.