• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why you're beating around the bush but thanks for the non answer.

That is the answer. Anything that ruins the online portion of the game will originate from hacked Switch hardware. The Switch was busted wide open, and it's a thousand times easier to do anything like that on the Switch itself.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Sounds cool, does yuzu allow raising the internal resolution?
I totally get that emulation "isn't" a lot of things.

Fully understand.

It's that its actual definition keeps changing and apparently is whatever the last person I'm arguing with online about it says it is.

I have a lot of unpopular opinions on the subject.
What's so hard to get?
From Google:
em·u·la·tion
/ˌemyəˈlāSH(ə)n/
noun
  1. effort to match or surpass a person or achievement, typically by imitation.
    "their success is inspiring emulation from others"
    • COMPUTING
      reproduction of the function or action of a different computer, software system, etc.
      "software emulation of complete systems"

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Why would anyone run this on a emulator that makes the game unplayable when they can play it perfectly on Switch? Does people buy Switch games without having a Switch?!
This is a news about the progress of the emulator, not encouraging people to actually play the game via emulator.

No one would choose playing on emulator at the current state than playing on the actual console.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would anyone run this on a emulator that makes the game unplayable when they can play it perfectly on Switch? Does people buy Switch games without having a Switch?!
it's not about it's current state, but what it can do in the future. look at wii/wii u emulators for example. they can improve the game greatly. along with preservation etc

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I don't know why you are so afraid with the emulator but don't worry, at the present Yuzu emulator can't go online.
I just remember certain games in the past getting save files corrupted due to other players who had hacked games and throwing hacked items into others save files via trading. That's why I worry.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I honestly think the staff of this website/forum have a duty to not allow any talk of current gen emulators.

You all know what this creates.

There are devs on this board and I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate the 'hey, download our game for free for your PC' announcements.

Hey, I'm very much looking forward to playing BotW 2 in 4K on my PC day-1 using a personal dump from a copy I will buy for my Switch.

Go off, I guess.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
That is the answer. Anything that ruins the online portion of the game will originate from hacked Switch hardware. The Switch was busted wide open, and it's a thousand times easier to do anything like that on the Switch itself.
You keep avoiding the simple question that I asked that other people already answered. You seem like you're really defensive about it so don't sweat it.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
I honestly think the staff of this website/forum have a duty to not allow any talk of current gen emulators.

There are devs on this board and I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate the 'hey, download our game for free for your PC' announcements.
Lol this community has this discussion every emulation thread, even on GAF. They've made their stance, it's legal and as long as no one is advocating piracy it's all good.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I understand the claim, but i've already been reported apparently.

Era has a long illustrious history of at least one person attempting to derail nearly every emulation thread with piracy talk. As always you are welcome to create a thread dedicated to emulation and piracy if you'd like to discuss it there instead of going off topic in this one.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a surprise. The emulator has been running the Let's Go games for many months now, so it was only logical those would run at launch.

It's more impressive the recent progress with Astral Chain imo.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Era has a long illustrious history of at least one person attempting to derail nearly every emulation thread with piracy talk. As always you are welcome to create a thread dedicated to emulation and piracy if you'd like to discuss it there instead of going off topic in this one.

I get it, it was the phrasing that made it sound questionable.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
This is a news about the progress of the emulator, not encouraging people to actually play the game via emulator.

No one would choose playing on emulator at the current state than playing on the actual console.
it's not about it's current state, but what it can do in the future. look at wii/wii u emulators for example. they can improve the game greatly. along with preservation etc

Yes, I can understand that. I meant the user on this thread implying that he/she will play the game on emulator...

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
True. Breath of The Wild on emulator runs so great at 4K/60fps and with a lot of QoL enhancements that make it the definitive version of the game right now.

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
I understand the claim, but i've already been reported apparently.
reported?

and it's more than a claim

ridiculous.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia

Save states, texture packs, speed ups, 4K.

I replay all of my console/handheld games on PC (when emulation allows it). Hell, I finished Pokemon Red more times on a Pentium III than on a gameboy.

EDIT: The real answer though is my disability that makes long handheld/controller gaming sessions painful on my hands and joints. M/KB and Steam Controller's ridiculously large back paddles are the only input devices I have that mitigate this.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Quick reminder on site policy on emulation- you can find this under 'announcements' in the general guide to Era.

While software piracy is never acceptable, emulation is legal and discussions about it are welcome. As long as a hack can be used for legitimate homebrew and/or legal emulation it can be discussed here, and those discussions should not be derailed by piracy concerns. Do not enter a thread about homebrew or emulation and conflate the subject with piracy.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Alternative you are looking into a burning house and being concerned about a candle someone left lit on a table inside.
Because I'm concerned about the emulator in question possibly opening more doors for hacking and modding? You do you but I don't want any part of it and I don't want any part of it effecting my game data.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Because I'm concerned about the emulator in question possibly opening more doors for hacking and modding? You do you but I don't want any part of it and I don't want any part of it effecting my game data.

The hardware itself is completely broken open, and people will be modifying whatever Game Freak has left accessible within days of the game being released. There are no more doors to open. You are missing the forest for the trees.

Here is a switch running Linux as an example:

Last edited:

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Side question about this stuff , can someone potentially play these hacked versions online? Just wondering because if people are going this far too emulate brand new games what's stopping them from completely modding them? I'd hate for some hacked shit to get traded in something like wonder trade and fuck up other people's games.
Short Answer: Yes

Long Answer: You can a tool to scrub data to avoid console bans. Pokemon has a "legal pokemon" system that determines if a pokemon is illegitimate an flags it as such. That said there's nothing stopping perfect IV pokemon at max level

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Short Answer: Yes

Long Answer: You can a tool to scrub data to avoid console bans. Pokemon has a "legal pokemon" system that determines if a pokemon is illegitimate an flags it as such. That said there's nothing stopping perfect IV pokemon at max level

I remember past Pokemon games having those checks before to prevent some wild modifications to stats. I guess I'll just assume this one is the same. Ty

Deleted member 61326

Banned
Nov 12, 2019
Love emulation! While I have never personally been interested in emulating games of current gen consoles, it's awesome to know that when Switch eventually becomes obsolete I'll likely be able to fire up an old game for old time's sake on whatever the most convenient hardware is at that time. Thanks to emulation I have played so many older games on my TV that I would never otherwise had experienced.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Sad thing is emulation will probably fix the framerate in Link's Awakening before the devs do.

Deleted member 61326

Banned
Nov 12, 2019
Sad thing is emulation will probably fix the framerate in Link's Awakening before the devs do.

Very likely, but that's the power of emulation. The efforts made in SNES emulation this last year with widescreen support and more high res backgrounds in mode 7 are great examples of when emulation can improve a game that was limited by the hardware at the time. Improvements that the developers would likely approve of and even use, had the possibility existed at the time of release.

Deleted member 15447

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Doubling down on equating emulation with piracy, hostility and baseless accusations against staff
Mods...

Go ahead and ban me.

You honestly think you have a respected site and can welcome developers on this board when you advocate piracy?

And to say emulation does not advertise piracy is extremely narrow minded and quite frankly shows you do it yourself.

How dare you send me a message and warning to stop taking about this. It will take one, maybe two big names in the industry to call you out and you'll quickly change your tune.

Any Devs reading, you know that probably 90% of those viewing this thread had NO idea Switch emulation existed and probably all them went straight to Google to search for Switch Roms.

Fucking bunch of pirates.

Jun 2, 2019
The hardware itself is completely broken open, and people will be modifying whatever Game Freak has left accessible within days of the game being released. There are no more doors to open. You are missing the forest for the trees.

The pre-mariko units are wide open, not all the Switches

By the way i'm of the idea that opening a thread stating in the title that a just released game runs almost perfectly on an emulator is basically calling for piracy of said game, but whatever.

Theswweet i won't call you liar because i do exactly the same with my flashcarts, but you're too naïve if you think that even a 10% of an emulator userbase are like you. There's a reason why when a console is broken open the first thing ever developed aside of a hello world is a backup loader, wich is the same reason why emulators' developers always try to get running the most popular games and then the rest by popular demand.

I honestly think that there sould be some limits in this forum regarding current gen emulators.

Last edited:

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
Mods...

Go ahead and ban me.

You honestly think you have a respected site and can welcome developers on this board when you advocate piracy?

And to say emulation does not advertise piracy is extremely narrow minded and quite frankly shows you do it yourself.

How dare you send me a message and warning to stop taking about this. It will take one, maybe two big names in the industry to call you out and you'll quickly change your tune.

Any Devs reading, you know that probably 90% of those viewing this thread had NO idea Switch emulation existed and probably all them went straight to Google to search for Switch Roms.

You're the only person being narrow minded lmao
stay mad

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Mods...

Go ahead and ban me.

Shut the fuck up

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
Mods...

Go ahead and ban me.

there are literally blllions of things to be passionate about in this world and you chose this

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Emulating on PC wont matter much for piracy anyway as the Switch is already fully cracked and wide open, the majority of people who care about such things have likely already hacked their Switch for piracy and wont wait the 6 months - 1+ years? before Switch games can be completed on emulators without any significant flaws.

At least hacking Pokemon will let people add in all the skills and Pokemon missing from Sword/Shield, plus PC emulation allows for lots of glorious graphic mods and faster frame rates.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
That's a big step, although if it isn't playable it's not perfect. Yuzu has a long way to go but it certainly looks good for the future since Nintendo seems so keen in reselling ROMs.

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
The pre-mariko units are wide open, not all the Switches

By the way i'm of the idea that opening a thread stating in the title that a just released game runs almost perfectly on an emulator is basically calling for piracy of said game, but whatever.

Theswweet i won't call you liar because i do exactly the same with my flashcarts, but you're too naïve if you think that even a 10% of an emulator userbase are like you. There's a reason why when a console is broken open the first thing ever developed aside of a hello world is a backup loader, wich is the same reason why emulators' developers always try to get running the most popular games and then the rest by popular demand.

I honestly think that there sould be some limits in this forum regarding current gen emulators.
like what limits? people aren't linking to roms or describing how to pirate video games. emulating games is perfectly fine

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Mods...

Go ahead and ban me.

Amazing.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Mods...

Go ahead and ban me.

Haha wow. So Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are advocating piracy too since they use emulators for their products?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Emulating on PC wont matter much for piracy anyway as the Switch is already fully cracked and wide open, the majority of people who care about such things have likely already hacked their Switch for piracy and wont wait the 6 months - 1+ years? before Switch games can be completed on emulators without any significant flaws.

At least hacking Pokemon will let people add in all the skills and Pokemon missing from Sword/Shield, plus PC emulation allows for lots of glorious graphic mods and faster frame rates.
People keep saying this when none of the Switches you can buy right now are hackable or wide open.

If I'm interested in piracy or hacking today and have to decide between trying to obtain some old Switch that night hard to get or just go the emulator route for a system I already own....it's clear that most would wanna go for Emulation. Especially if the goal is to pay nothing or as little as possible.

It's okay saying that Emulation doesn't neccesarily means piracy.....but the way you are framing it is is a bit naive. If Piracy and paying less are the number 1 reason a emulator will always be the preferred choice - especially when it's not that taxing on the hardware and can offer improvements.

Jun 2, 2019
like what limits? people aren't linking to roms or describing how to pirate video games. emulating games is perfectly fine

Like avoiding speaking of just released games, or limiting the discussion to an OT

I have no issue with emulation in general, i'm a heavy use in every platform that allows them, officially or not, but in my opinion current gen emulators are a different matter

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Mods...

Go ahead and ban me.

lmaoooo this is so edgy, did u not see the person earlier in this thread who said emulations helps them game with their disability? I think the things youre saying are incredibly rude and dismissive