• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
Off topic but can someone explain the alternating caps trolling to me? Like, what is it even?

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
You guys just can't hold it in, can you? Every single fucking time... and yes, I'm playing Let's Go on my Switch, got it the moment it launched. Get out of here with your concern BS.
And I do own a Switch as well and popped that sucker open like I do with every battery based device to see the battery form factor , only to be once again disappointed by Nintendo's choice to once again create an oddball form factor rather than sticking with a standardized one.

Am I not allowed to be critical of the hardware design choices of a piece of tech that I own.

In ohter words "calm your fucking tits will ya ?!"

ynthrepic

Oct 25, 2017
it is kind of amusing how Patreon has created a kind of loophole where they can still claim its not for profit. Kind of like Kim Dotcom claiming he didn't know people were using his service for that.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
Yes because there aren't any places where you can get that ROM for free...

Last I checked you need to hack your Switch too, to be able to rip a game.

I'm not talking about downloading the ROM from somewhere. There is no grey area whatsoever if you own the games, own the proprietary hardware and emulate the software you purchase with money for. That is the point I'm trying to make.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes because people who will use this for piracy will really want to play a game with no text or sound and at half speed in open areas even on hundreds of pounds worth of high end PC hardware.

Meanwhile, a hacked Switch can play a pirated copy of the game perfectly right now.

Great to see progress being made. Emulator devs shouldn't hold back progress just to protect Nintendo especially when this stuff usually takes years anyway. Plus the work is very important long term.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
"you people"... nice.
Yup, you all who keep coming to emulation threads and derail them.

And I do own a Switch as well and popped that sucker open like I do with every battery based device to see the battery form factor , only to be once again disappointed by Nintendo's choice to once again create an oddball form factor rather than sticking with a standardized one.

Am I not allowed to be critical of the hardware design choices of a piece of tech that I own.

In ohter words "calm your fucking tits will ya ?!"
So you were not being sarcastic regarding how people concern troll and equate emulation to piracy? If so, then I'm sorry for jumping the gun, it's hard to tell because it didn't even take 4 posts for the concern trolls to come out.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
User Warned: Equating emulation to piracy
I'm not talking about downloading the ROM from somewhere. There is no grey area whatsoever if you own the games, own the proprietary hardware and emulate the software you purchase with money for. That is the point I'm trying to make.

And that's fine but do you really think that the majority of people that will be using this emulator will be going through the trouble of hacking their Switch, buying a game and ripping a ROM when they could just easily download it for free? Of course there are innocent people that just want to perhaps play at 60fps and with actual AA in this game but don't kid yourself in thinking that you are the majority in doing this.

Yup, you all who keep coming to emulation threads and derail them.

It's a game that game out yesterday and is in a semi-playable state, sorry but piracy should be a discussion here same as the fact that it's impressive that they got it bootable and semi-playable so fast. If it's a new Game Boy emulator and a video of playing Tetris then that is fine but this is a little close to the line for my taste.

Last edited:

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
If you want to act like the majority of people using this emulator don't skip the first step described by you go ahead lol.

We're not discussing what other people do or didn't do. We're discussing what constitutes the legal grey area when an individual has bought both the software and hardware necessary to perform emulation.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have to say that ResetEra should probobaly follow it's own sites rules, because Emulation threads being constantly derailed is tiring. Give these trolls/ Ebay used game sellers/ Nintendo bots a warning at-least.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Probably by summer at this rate.
Doubt it, even xenoblade X took quite some time to be at a really decent state ( when also including performance ) on Cemu. I'd love to be wrong, I have yet to do a New Game + & post game content, it would be amazing to do it at a good resolution + capped fps, good IQ really give games a new life.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Doubt it, even xenoblade X took quite some time to be at a really decent state ( when also including performance ) on Cemu. I'd love to be wrong, I have yet to do a New Game + & post game content, it would be amazing to do it at a good resolution + capped fps, good IQ really give games a new life.
Cemu wasn't progressing at nearly the same pace.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Equating emulation and piracy after prior warning.
But most people using emulators don't own the games. That's the entire point. Nobody is saying you in particular are pirating anything, nor anybody else owning the games. Maybe it's just a matter of personal experience.
If you hang out online with a lot of emulation-fans who get their copies to just paly the game they bought with better resolution or other nice additions you could easily get annoyed at people saying emulators are enabling piracy.

As someone who knows 15+ people in real life that use emulators and not a single one owned a single game they played through said emulators nor had any Nintendo console since the SNES, I see people who go online and act like emulation is this totally legal thing that people totally use in legal ways being disingenuous as fuck. Yes, it's in itself not illegal. No, most people don't buy their games before they use an emulator to play it.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to say that ResetEra should probobaly follow it's own sites rules, because Emulation threads being constantly derailed is tiring. Give these trolls/ Ebay used game sellers/ Nintendo bots a warning at-least.
The first idiot got banned already, so they are doing something. Just hope mods catch up with the rest of this thread.

Sarobi

Oct 25, 2017
Impressive. The devs behind emulators do some really amazing work with very few people. so I'm always amazed by how far they get, and how fast they get there.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
So you were not being sarcastic regarding how people concern troll and equate emulation to piracy? If so, then I'm sorry for jumping the gun, it's hard to tell because it didn't even take 4 posts for the concern trolls to come out.

Not everybody is equating emulation to piracy. I'm sure most LIKE emulation for the sake of preservation. But there's a difference between emulating an older console, and emulating a console in its infancy AND a game that just released yesterday. Come on now.

Great to see progress being made. Emulator devs shouldn't hold back progress just to protect Nintendo especially when this stuff usually takes years anyway. Plus the work is very important long term.

Years to make it playable? Someone in this thread just informed someone XB2 will most likely be playable @1440p by Summer 2019. So, it's obvious not everyone are on the same page when it comes to how emulation is handled, especially involving the Switch.

Last edited:

moogan

Nov 2, 2017
thats pretty amazing progress
i wonder if they stopped on citra emulation efforts in favor of yuzu
guess ill check!

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Good progress but this is definitely going to draw ire, especially as they publicly ask for funding via Patreon, and are advertising their progress/interest in getting funded around Pokemon.

Probably not the smartest idea on their part because while they can skirt the issue on the emulator itself, using Pokemon as the advertising center pinning is probably not nearly as un-attackable, especially as it draws attention at a hot release time. Pokemon company has taken out people for less just for using Pokemon as the advertising pinnings of far less troublesome targets for them.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Years to make it playable? Someone in this thread just informed someone XB2 will most likely be playable @1440p by Summer 2019. So, it's obvious not everyone are on the same page when it comes to how emulation is handled, especially involving the Switch.

Emulation progress usually takes a long time.

Yuzu is developing way faster than most, and after roughly a year of progress we are now at a state where a number of games work fairly well but the majority don't, and those that do still usually have a number of issues. A number of games like XB2 working well by summer is definitely possible but that doesn't mean the emulator will be anywhere near perfect.

Also, define "playable". In emulator terms that usually means you can reach the end credits. PoGo might be fully playable with that definition (not sure), but it certainly isn't an experience anyone wants to play the game with.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
And that's fine but do you really think that the majority of people that will be using this emulator will be going through the trouble of hacking their Switch, buying a game and ripping a ROM when they could just easily download it for free? Of course there are innocent people that just want to perhaps play at 60fps and with actual AA in this game but don't kid yourself in thinking that you are the majority in doing this.

And how is that relevant to this discussion? I'm not interested in what others must do or don't. We're discussing the legalities of making our own copy of the ROM for the purpose of emulation and only that. What other people do to obtain their software is of no concern to me. I'm not about to pass judgement on people regarding how they obtain their games.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We're not discussing what other people do or didn't do. We're discussing what constitutes the legal grey area when an individual has bought both the software and hardware necessary to perform emulation.
Nobody is claiming that it's a legal grey area when you bought a copy. People are saying it's not a grey area when you didn't and that most people simply don't do it. Not sure who you are discussing this with. maybe I missed something.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
good stuff
i dont know how they're handling the motion side of things for this game but it certainly seems like a better proposition to play this on pc than docket on my tv

Good progress but this is definitely going to draw ire, especially as they publicly ask for funding via Patreon, and are advertising their progress/interest in getting funded around Pokemon.

Probably not the smartest idea on their part because while they can skirt the issue on the emulator itself, using Pokemon as the advertising center pinning is probably not nearly as un-attackable, especially as it draws attention at a hot release time. Pokemon company has taken out people for less just for using Pokemon as the advertising pinnings of far less troublesome targets for them.

It's the same dev as citra. which had pokemon sun/moon working flawlessly to draw a lot of attention

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Probably not the smartest idea on their part because while they can skirt the issue on the emulator itself, using Pokemon as the advertising center pinning is probably not nearly as un-attackable, especially as it draws attention at a hot release time.

Yeah pretty much this. I understand why they want to show the progress they've made and it is incredible but this is certainly going to attract attention from Nintendo.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's the same dev as citra. which had pokemon sun/moon working flawlessly to draw a lot of attention

3DS was old and on its way out. Also they weren't advertising Citra for funding in the same tweet as their progress on Pokemon, or at least I don't think they were.

This is foolish of them and I think they're caught in the moment/money of it, and not really thinking about what they're actually doing/saying. They're definitely opening themselves up by using the Pokemon IP as a point of advertisement. That is running right into legal peril.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
3DS was old and on its way out. Also they weren't advertising Citra for funding in the same tweet as their progress on Pokemon, or at least I don't think they were.

it wasnt that old when citra started gaining buzz on the internet and yes they were advertising their patreon just as well

i just find weird that we just had news of Odyssey running almost 100% but for some reason you folks think nintendo wouldnt care about that one, but LGPE???? the army of nintendo lawyers is parachutting the yuzu headquarters as we speak

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

There's also the fact that they were showing it being playable days before it actually released(which is the reason the first thread about it was shut down). It's possible/likely they got a copy from a store that broke release date but it probably doesn't help the perception of things.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Pro tip when you're dealing that cute baby Cacodemon baby face you're dealing with a Linux user who's also a staunch Free Libre and Open Source Software initiatives activist , who constantly goes back and forth with the guys at the french national library in charge of video game preservation efforts of the french ministry of culture and arts.
In other words I'm the last guy on earth you could possibly imagine being against ANY emulation and virtualization efforts...

So yes yes indeed you jumped the gun real hardcore here ...

And made the cute Caco swear like a bloody sailor , please never do that again.

Okay ? Thanks

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
i just find weird that we just had news of Odyssey running almost 100% but for some reason you folks think nintendo wouldnt care about that one, but LGPE???? the army of lawyers is parachutting the yuzu headquarters as we speak

Odyssey came out last year. And I am talking about The Pokemon Company, not Nintendo.

The former is far, far more litigious and vicious.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Emulation progress usually takes a long time.

Yuzu is developing way faster than most, and after roughly a year of progress we are now at a state where a number of games work fairly well but the majority don't, and those that do still usually have a number of issues. A number of games like XB2 working well by summer is definitely possible but that doesn't mean the emulator will be anywhere near perfect.

Also, define "playable". In emulator terms that usually means you can reach the end credits. PoGo might be fully playable with that definition (not sure), but it certainly isn't an experience anyone wants to play the game with.

Well, to my understanding BotW wasn't in a perfect state when I heard a co-worker talk about playing it in 4K (this was months ago) when he doesn't own a Wii U OR Switch, so it just rubs me the wrong way when I hear about people not only playing a game they didn't own, but even advertise it to those who normally doesn't care about Nintendo games in a retail store to customers upgrading their PC. I love emulation but not when it involves Switch titles (especially newly released one).

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Cemu wasn't progressing at nearly the same pace.
I mean once things did started to go fast. From the first time I actually played XCX on Cemu and when I was really satisfied by it ( no more crash in the forest, better performance, things like that ), I'm pretty sure there was close to a year. Not every game got to progress at the same pace as zelda, and I expect the same with Yuzu.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Nope, as long as the game is preserved I don't care if the company can make more games to preserve. Preserve all the things.
Yeah okay, you sure do worry about that. Sigh... One would think that one ban on the first page would make people understand, but nope, it's always the same concern trolling shit.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Yeah okay, you sure do worry about that. Sigh... One would think that one ban on the first page would make people understand, but nope, it's always the same concern trolling shit.

I don't see how we can care about game preservation and then banish the advocates at the same time. I think it's amazing.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Why people come into emulation threads to cry about piracy when it's far easier, cheaper, and less resource intensive to pirate on the actual consoles themselves is beyond me.

Anyway, I'm surprised that it looks like the only thing borked right now is the text.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
It's a game that game out yesterday and is in a semi-playable state, sorry but piracy should be a discussion here same as the fact that it's impressive that they got it bootable and semi-playable so fast. If it's a new Game Boy emulator and a video of playing Tetris then that is fine but this is a little close to the line for my taste.
Yuzu is still very much in a state of progress where they still do game per game optimizations.

The Switch version of the Tegra contains very few custom made extension and frills but we're still a looong way from figuring it out completly.
Again this entire video is just a big flexing festival just to show it can be done but look at the video the game is not even remotely comfortably playable. And also most people want an emulator that runs "all of the games" not just a select few ...

In other words stop freaking out the guys at Yuzu are nowhere near in any capacity to destroy the Nintendo Switch momentum...

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Great news for people interested in emulation it who don't plan on buying the system.

Obv. Not so good news for Switch as a viable plattforms for developers.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great news for people interested in emulation it who don't plan on buying the system.

Dude what are you talking about?

Let me put this as simply as i can.

Emulation is not piracy. Never was. Never will be. This doesn't discourage anyone from developing games on the Switch.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

In its current state, this means absolutely nothing for the Switch as a viable platform. It still barely functions on high end hardware used by a tiny number of people.

You should be much more concerned with the millions of easily hackable Switches than you should emulation.

Also, as a Switch owner, I am also very happy with this. In the future I will be able to play the games I own, with a much better experience than what the Switch itself will be able to offer me. Why on earth wouldn't I be happy with that.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
yep. i don't see any of this as any good news for the platform. this would all be great news to cheer for once the platform is done and isn't on the shelves anymore, but for a new platform that's finding its place in the market this isn't any good news.
It's not bad news for the platform, either. The Switch can be used at home and has an amazing portability factor; I can take it to work and play games just as easily and I could at home. I can't drag a $1200 gaming PC with me everywhere to play games.

Yuzu isn't harmful to the platform. Someone could pirate a game and load it on their Switch far easier than they could their PC; not to mention that you're likely going to need a GPU that costs the same amount as the Switch to even run the thing in a state that it's in now.

Hacking your Switch and loaded pirated games is far easier than downloading a work in progress emulator, messing around with settings, and maybe getting a game to run. Emulators aren't a danger to the Switch, Switch native piracy is a danger to the Switch, and even that harm is negligible since most people aren't going to want to gimp their online functionality.

Nathan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
France
Pretty sure it's now hard to find a hackable Switch on the market anyway. The stable release of the emulator will be more problematic if it's too early. And let's be honest, there's some reasons why Nintendo emulators are always popular and I'm not surprised by the success of the Patreon.