• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 4072

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow that is amazing progress. This is coming along amazingly. Top credits to it's devs. Won't be long before the "oMg iTs PiRacY" crowd get here though unfortunately.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Well glad to see that things are moving forward in terms of making sure the switch library will survive the inevitable death of Nintedo Switches batteries...

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
User Banned (2 Days) - Equating Emulation to Piracy and attempted thread derail
Thank God, I was starting to worry about the state of it's preservation

/s (maybe)

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank God, I was starting to worry about the state of it's preservation

/s (maybe)
Every goddamn thread.

Crazy impressive progress, although I suspect that Pokemon is dramatically less technically complex than Mario Odyssey.

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
As somebody who knows nothing about the logistics behind how emulation works, can someone explain to me why nintendo switch can already be emulated to a certain extent and ps4 and xb1 are still far behind? Is it because sony and ms's platforms are more secure? Or is it just because more people work towards cracking nintendo hardware then people who work towards cracking ms's and sonys hardware.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
Awesome news!

Shared code between Yuzu and Citra is definitely one of the reasons why they making such a large progress in so little time. Maybe stuff like texture modding as we see in Dolphin won't be outside the realm of possibility.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
As somebody who knows nothing about the logistics behind how emulation works, can someone explain to me why nintendo switch can already be emulated to a certain extent and ps4 and xb1 are still far behind? Is it because sony and ms's platforms are more secure? Or is it just because more people work towards cracking nintendo hardware then people who work towards cracking ms's and sonys hardware.
Tegra has a lot of documentation and the console was blown wide open because of a security flaw on top of that. Also devs of dolphin and cemu are pitching in.

OP
OP
BernardoOne

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mostly Tegra X3 having a shitload of publically available documentation. The relative lack of power of the Switch and the fact that it shares a lot with the 3DS also helps, considering these are the Citra Devs (3DS emu)

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada

Weaker platform + a ton of documentation already available about Switch SoC and Switch is already completely hacked. And also because people want to play Nintendo games but they don't want to invest into their ecosystem. Most of the PS/XBOX games are already available on PC except their exclusives but Nintendo's exclusives are more appealing.

It feels kinda unfair to those who pay for system and games, though. I know some people dump their own games but they are a minority.

Bernd Lauert

Banned
May 27, 2018
Well glad to see that things are moving forward in terms of making sure the switch library will survive the inevitable death of Nintedo Switches batteries...

I know this is just a drive by shitpost but emulation is also great for playing games at a good frame rate and image quality. Xenoblade 2 pains my eyes at certain points. Just having it at a native 1080p and solid 30 fps would be a god send.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
User Banned (1 day): Equating emulation to piracy
Wow that is amazing progress. This is coming along amazingly. Top credits to it's devs. Won't be long before the "oMg iTs PiRacY" crowd get here though unfortunately.

I'll happily join the "omg it's piracy" crowd to point out that this will overwhelmingly be used for piracy and nothing else.

There's a reason these emulators always use the latest and most popular games in their showcases, and it's not to show off the accuracy of the emulator.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Nvidia's Tegra processors are much much more publicly documented and the basic design principles of the whole Tegra family have been known for quite sometime now.
Add to that the fact the Nintendo Switch with the amount of ways to get in is just begging to be cracked open , and it's no wonder that Hackers were tinkering around with it a lot more and got further than anything.

Ironically in the case of the PS4 and XBONE they both rely on an X86_64 bit processor equipped with a discrete GPU sure. But in both cases said CPU / GPU combos have received custom modifications and extensions that are a bit trickier to figure out. Also emulating the PS4 and XBONE right now is only gonna touch the few gamers that can afford a 5K $ rig so its not worth investigating or simply releasing publicly the fruits of your investigations just yet, nobody would be game for it anyway.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I'll happily join the "omg it's piracy" crowd to point out that this will overwhelmingly be used for piracy and nothing else.

There's a reason these emulators always use the latest and most popular games in their showcases, and it's not to show off the accuracy of the emulator.
Make a new thread about it and don't shit this one up.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what maybe that other thread had a point.

The game just came out.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I know this is just a drive by shitpost but emulation is also great for playing games at a good frame rate and image quality. Xenoblade 2 pains my eyes at certain points. Just having it at a native 1080p and solid 30 fps would be a god send.
Wasn't me shit posting I'm seriously annoyed that Nintendo once again decided to choose a weird form factor for their batteries rather than going for something standard that can be easily replaced in the future.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Equating emulationa and piracy and derailing thread.
Sorry, but people who use this for legal emulation = 1%. Don't try to deny it.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Guys have you even watched the video ?

The text doesn't render properly there is no sound , the frame rate is all over the place from instances to instances.

Yuzu is still waaaaay in its infancy they're just showing it off to show how the project is coming along so far , and its clear that nothing is in a playable state so far...

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Being able to emulate current gen consoles and games the day they come out is a big no from me. Too much of a grey area.

Yuzu is still waaaaay in its infancy they're just showing it off to show how the project is coming along so far , and its clear that nothing is in a playable state so far...

The speed at which BotW got emulated perfectly once the Cemu devs started getting huge financial backing makes me think it won't be long for Pokemon either.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
In addition to the comments on public documentation and lower power envelope, a big driver is simply community interest. More people and general effort seems to go into emulation, hacking and translations for Nintendo platforms and their software than all other consoles combined (Sega, Sony, NEC, MS, Atari, etc).

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Please, enlighten us on why is it a grey area? You buy the game, rip the ROM, play it in an emulator. There's no grey area whatsoever in this case.

Yes because there aren't any places where you can get that ROM for free...

Last I checked you need to hack your Switch too, to be able to rip a game.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Being able to emulate current gen consoles and games the day they come out is a big no from me. Too much of a grey area.

The speed at which BotW got emulated perfectly once the Cemu devs started getting huge financial backing makes me think it won't be long for Pokemon either.
Except that the WiiU is a third refresh on the Gamecube , getting that nugget cracked reliably was within reach.

Here we still have to figure out how tesselation is handled , how variable resolutions are processed etc etc etc...

again Yuzu is way too much of a baby right now to play Switch games comfortably.

(Heck even Citra is still rocky as all hell and playing on a real 3DS is still preferable )

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru

I guess Gen 8 will run decent by the time it releases
You guys just can't hold it in, can you? Every single fucking time... and yes, I'm playing Let's Go on my Switch, got it the moment it launched. Get out of here with your concern BS.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great. I can see we are already at the "It's piracy" part of a emulation thread. As if there are any downsides for development work for Emulators to start as soon as possible and be playable as much as possible.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Just a heads-up for the anti-emulation weirdos, but people are currently able to play the game perfectly at full-speed on a hacked Switch with a pirated copy of the game.

Deleted member 7450

Oct 25, 2017
PolishedSecondaryBlackfootedferret-size_restricted.gif

BURN THEM, BURN THEM ALL!

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Just a heads-up for the anti-emulation weirdos, but people are currently able to play the game perfectly at full-speed on a hacked Switch with a pirated copy of the game.
Shhh, at least Papi Nintendo already got their money because they bought a Switch, that's all that matters so shhh...
/s

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Great. I can see we are already at the "It's piracy" part of a emulation thread. As if there are any downsides for development work for Emulators to start as soon as possible and be playable as much as possible.
Every time. As if anyone gives a shit about their moral grandstanding.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.

If you're implying that the developer of the emulator encourages piracy by showcasing the latest games, then you're way off the mark here.

Any number of games which can be accurately played in the emulator will help them improve the software, it doesn't matter if the game is old or new in the generation. All that matters is that the team will acquire more data gained from games which are available in the platform.