• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
I will keep this short and clean.

I was really expecting a Persona 5 announcement because I want to start a second run of the game but would prefer to play it on the Switch.

It didn't happen, so now I'm craving something specific, like a craving to smoke.

What I would like is something that gave me Persona or Danganronpa vibes. I think that someone who played and loved both franchises understands this combo.

That being said, is Undertale the game I'm searching for?

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Undertale is not a Japanese high school rpg. It's a great game though.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely go for Underale. Great game, currently on sale for $10. That said, I dunno about it giving off Persona vibes. Like at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Undertale is great and on sale.
It's not really persona/danganronpa. Probably closer to earthbound x paper Mario?
Great writing and characters mixed with a fun active turn based combat system

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Well I love both Persona and Danganronpa and Undertale is my favorite game of all time so yeah get it.

My love of those 2 have very little to do with UT though.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I have not played Persona or Danganronpa but Undertale is a fantastic game. People liken it more to Earthbound that anything else but I don't think it's even all that similar to that. It's very unique.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Undertale is on sale right now(10€) and Delta Rune chapter 1 is hitting Switch soon - probably a good time to puck it up.

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
You can't really expect a P5 announcement yet if one is even coming. It'd be around the end of March or April if there is one at one of their own events. Even if it is announced then, you have to expect 6 months to a year anyway before you'd get to play it. :(

Undertale definitely has the charm of something like a Persona though from a character standpoint. As was said, earthbound is probably a better comparison, though Persona and Undertale did more with their characters I think.

Aesnath

Oct 27, 2017
So...in my experience Undertale is a bit polarizing. Most find it to be a fantastic experience (and I'm one of them), but it isn't for everybody. It also doesn't sound like it is exactly the sort of experience you are looking for. It is probably best understood as something of a 16-bit era RPG, with some shooter mechanics thrown in. It has a lot of character, but you don't build a squad or specialize or even particularly deepen any characters.

My worry is that, if you are going in looking for Persona, you'll be sorely disappointed. It is a difficult to categorize game, but it isn't close to a modern JRPG or visual novel kinda deal.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I gave in yesterday to undertale, it's enough with the funny dialog I see pop everywhere from this game, I must play this.

Apr 24, 2018
I will keep this short and clean.

I was really expecting a Persona 5 announcement because I want to start a second run of the game but would prefer to play it on the Switch.

It didn't happen, so now I'm craving something specific, like a craving to smoke.

What I would like is something that gave me Persona or Danganronpa vibes. I think that someone who played and loved both franchises understands this combo.

That being said, is Undertale the game I'm searching for?
I'm in the extreme minority of not particularly enjoying Undertale. Other than some occasionally humorous writing, I just didn't find anything particularly appealing about the game at all. That being said, P5 and Danganronpa are some of my favorite experiences from recent years - don't go in expecting a game remotely similar in tone/substance to those two with Undertale.

OP
OP
Chackan

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Undertale is a great game for sure. It's also on sale I believe?

Indeed it is! 10€!

Undertale is not a Japanese high school rpg. It's a great game though.
So...in my experience Undertale is a bit polarizing. Most find it to be a fantastic experience (and I'm one of them), but it isn't for everybody. It also doesn't sound like it is exactly the sort of experience you are looking for. It is probably best understood as something of a 16-bit era RPG, with some shooter mechanics thrown in. It has a lot of character, but you don't build a squad or specialize or even particularly deepen any characters.

My worry is that, if you are going in looking for Persona, you'll be sorely disappointed. It is a difficult to categorize game, but it isn't close to a modern JRPG or visual novel kinda deal.

It's not so much about the genre of the game, but more of the experience and the emphasis on characters.

At the end of each one of those games I felt empathy with the characters and the story and the character interactions that happen throughout them.

Aesnath

Oct 27, 2017
Indeed it is! 10€!

It's not so much about the genre of the game, but more of the experience and the emphasis on characters.

At the end of each one of those games I felt empathy with the characters and the story and the character interactions that happen throughout them.

Well then maybe. I loved the mess out of the characters in Undertale at the end.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Undertale's got a weird sense of humour and that's really the only connection it has with Persona and Danganronpa.

But buy it, and then download Deltarune Episode 1 when it comes out on the 28th.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Indeed it is! 10€!

Yes, the characters are well written. Frankly, as much as I mostly enjoyed the combat system, Undertale is all about its characters first and foremost. Often funny, sharp, self-aware, tragic, often inspiring empathy. There are differing paths that will alter your standing with certain characters, but the social bonding stuff isn't really as in-depth as in something like Persona. How you interact with characters is a bit more straightforward.