• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 14, 2017
My brother-in-law is getting his 6-year old daughter a Nintendo Switch for Christmas. I was going to try and get her some games but I don't know if she's old enough yet for BOTW or Super Mario Odyssey. Any recommendations from parents with kids that age or anyone else? I think they are planning on getting her Mario Kart but I wasn't sure what else they might get her.

I feel like a case might be a good option too since she's still pretty little.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I feel obligated to respond to this thread because of your avatar, but I would suggest snipperclips. It might be a little difficult, but could be fun.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mario Odyssey should be fine especially if you turn on all the assists.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Kirby would be a good option maybe.
Mario Party would be fun for her to play with parents or siblings if she has them.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I came to say Mario Kart, but Pokémon let's go might be an option if an adult would play with her due to the two-player mode being sort of a hand holding thing. Odyssey also has the two player thing, where the second player controls the hat to help the first. They were both sort of designed around the idea of parents playing with children to help them learn the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe hands down. It has the auto accelerate and stay-on-course assists that are perfect for kids that age. And 50cc is easy enough that they can be competitive.

Mario Odyssey with it's Assist Mode is also a good choice.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
Kirby would be a good option maybe.
Mario Party would be fun for her to play with parents or siblings if she has them.

Yep, my 4yo loves Kirby and it has a surprising amount of depth and content that he and my 8yo still play it months after launch.

Also Mario kart as you can set it so it basically plays itself

OP
OP
TJ_Electronica
Nov 14, 2017
Yeah I was thinking Kirby and Pokemon Let's Go. I didn't realize that Super Mario Odyssey had an assist mode.

Are any of those games like Carnival Games or 1,2 Switch good? I feel like she might get a kick out of that.

Impetuous Imp

Oct 27, 2017
My daughter beat Rayman Legends at 6; she adores the Rayman series. They were used to playing on m&kb for things like Minecraft and Roblox, so moving to a controller was easier in 2D space than 3D.

LTWood

Oct 26, 2017
Lego City Undercover is incredible, especially if your little one is at all into Lego.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
My 5 year old loves Mario Kart (with assists), Splatoon ("Paint Game!" :P) and recently Katamari.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel obligated to respond to this thread because of your avatar, but I would suggest snipperclips. It might be a little difficult, but could be fun.
This is my recommendation. It might be a bit difficult but you can play it with your child and it's a wonderful bonding game and is sort of educational in a way in terms of problem solving

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
my five year old (six in February) greatly enjoys Mario Odyssey, He still needs assistance with some of the finer jumping/running puzzles, but at least the early stages he did all by himself (with the assists).

grunkleFungus

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
NC, US
Scribblenauts is fun if she's able to spell. It has a feature where it'll suggest words if something's misspelled. Could be fun to play with a parent too!

I highly recommend Mario Odyessy too. It's got the assist modes and there is a manual in the game with very good instructions on how to do certain moves in the game. I'd also suggest that maybe after she gets the switch, the dad could show her the games with free demos and she could try some out before buying.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Forgot to say earlier that maybe Labo would be a good fit - the variety kit or whatever it's called. Seems like it's a good fit for both boys and girls and would be fun to build with parents.

OldManNoob

Oct 27, 2017
The Wild West
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe hands down. It has the auto accelerate and stay-on-course assists that are perfect for kids that age. And 50cc is easy enough that they can be competitive.

Mario Odyssey with it's Assist Mode is also a good choice.

Second TangoAlphaLima recommendation of Mario Kart 8 for kids. According to Nintendo Dads, Paw Patrol on a Roll was great for young ones.

ozfunghi

Oct 25, 2017
Lego City Stories (it's a blast even co-op as an adult)
Mario Odyssey (assist mode)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Lego Harry Potter
Nintendo Labo (under supervision)
Captain Toad

Possibly Minecraft and Dragon Quest Builders if the kid can read.

fbnaulin

Mar 15, 2018
My son is 6 years old, as well. He loves to play:
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
  • Minecraft.
  • Fornite.
  • Super Mario Odyssey.
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
  • Dragon Quest Builders.
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.
  • Kirby Star Allies.
  • Splatoon 2.
He loves to play with me those game that supports multiplayer.
Minecraft is specially fun in crossplay between our Nintendo Switch and Xbox One.

Dec 9, 2017
I have a six-year-old and a five-year-old. Kirby: Star Allies, Mario Kart 8, and the Pokemon Let's Go games are all good choices, but for us, the absolute biggest hit has been Skylanders Imaginators. My son LOVES this game and he can do pretty much everything in it on his own. It's fully voice acted, so that helps. I know it's not a popular title among hardcore gamers, but seriously -- give it a shot. You can find a starter kit for less than $20 just about anywhere.