• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SQ_NSwitch_SuperMarioOdyssey.jpg

Many of us suffer it from time to time; you just don't like games anymore.

It happens and for people like me, it's always hard because games are a very big part of our lives, and to certain point, they are a form of getting away from some of IRL stuff.

I was really really on a big slump when I started to replay BOTW and I loved it, I saw myself playing more and more of the Switch rather than just other games like Overwatch or mobile stuff.

With SMO I'm starting to pick up new games, enjoying my time with them and exploring, exploring as much as I can.

Thanks to the Switch, games are fun again for me.

Keyframe

Oct 29, 2017
I have been going back and forth on the switch but I think I will finally pull the trigger on one.

funnyhowbr

Oct 27, 2017
My backlog for PS4 and Vita was huge and i never wanted to play anything after horizon zero dawn. Got mad max, mass effect andromeda, far cry 4, dying light and anything else from ps plus... and no joy. So i got switch with Zelda, Mario Kart and Mario + Rabbids. I was llike my 13 year old version + SNES. And just counting days till Mario Odyssey... man, im glad nintendo still has the magic.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've been basically buying ~ 5 or less games a year for the past 5 or so years, and i've already bought 27 Switch games.

Having a lot more time to finish the games you buy sure makes you want to buy more games, huh?

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't do any gaming aside from IOS for 3 years. Was completely out of the loop and didn't pay attention to anything gaming related. Got a switch and now I'm regularly playing. Got an snes classic and even doubled down on a n3ds xl. I've been stupidly buying 3ds games I don't need too.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't disagree. Only game I was looking forward to recently was Destiny 2 and it was such a huge letdown. Got to the point where I was only using my PS4 Pro for GTA Online. Got a Switch about two weeks ago and it's now my console of choice. Odyssey, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Mario Kart, Minecraft, and Stardew Valley in heavy rotation. I had a Pokeball 2DSXL on reserve for about two months and picked it up yesterday and immediately returned it. After using the Switch for a couple of weeks, the 3ds/2DS feels like such a huge downgrade.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
That is great. When any First Party Nintendo game comes out I always get huge enjoyment out of playing them that other games just do not give me.

Air

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same. I've been gaming a lot more thanks to the switch

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Feel like I just got fatigue. Got about 550 moons in SMO and don't have the urge to get more. Don't have the urge to play Zelda either. Really feel like I need a high quality linear game like GOd of War or TLoU2 but they are so far out

Allseeingeye

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That;s great man, switch is nice...I think everyone gets fatigue sometimes.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely picking up games a whole lot faster on the Switch than I ever have on anything else, and while I'm not exactly beating all of them I'm still finishing more than I'd bothered to over the past year too. I still feel dead inside, but if I felt a little better I can tell this would be the greatest gaming ride I've had yet.

I didn't do any gaming aside from IOS for 3 years. Was completely out of the loop and didn't pay attention to anything gaming related. Got a switch and now I'm regularly playing. Got an snes classic and even doubled down on a n3ds xl. I've been stupidly buying 3ds games I don't need too.
Please tell me that if you're irresponsibly splurging on 3DS games that you at least picked up Uprising.

. . .I-I mean Smash.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There's, uh, not a whole lot of meat to your OP, but I get where you're coming from. I love the Switch. It might be my favorite console ever, from a hardware perspective. OP, you should probably point out what it is about the Switch that has it curing your gaming fatigue. Is it the form factor? The games?

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
Same for me. It's very hard for me to sit still and play a game anymore. Being able to take the Switch wherever and play handheld or on the TV when I want, it's really enabling to play whenever I want. It almost never leaves my side in case I wanna play something.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Feel like I just got fatigue. Got about 550 moons in SMO and don't have the urge to get more. Don't have the urge to play Zelda either. Really feel like I need a high quality linear game like GOd of War or TLoU2 but they are so far out
XC2 hits soon but that probably ain't what you're looking for

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
I've been gaming even more lately just because of the portable mode, Fire Emblem Warriors and Splatoon 2 in bed or whenever appropriate.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I reckon Sleep mode is one the main reason I why play it so more often than other platforms.

Also, BotW, Stardew Valley, Mario + Rabbids, and SMO are also great games. Which helps.

Max Payne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Similar situation here. BotW was the first game I completed in the last 8 months. And SMO is the reason why I just can't let the Switch go. And I'm so looking forward for DOOM and Skyrim on the Switch,

HylianTom

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans
Over the past decade, I'd beat maybe 4 to 6 games on average.

This year? 24.

I've never played this many games, not even in grade school or high school, when I had the free time to do so.

It was almost as though Nintendo and indies knew I'd want some high-quality escapism fodder for this year..

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really see your point OP? I mean there are some excellent exclusives on the switch but why did it get you more passionate for games? Is it because they're single player games that are a bit different from the norm? Is it the portability?

I was in a similar position with Overwatch taking over my gaming time and I'm happy to have played all these great games this year. I don't see why I would claim a single console did that.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm definitely picking up games a whole lot faster on the Switch than I ever have on anything else, and while I'm not exactly beating all of them I'm still finishing more than I'd bothered to over the past year too. I still feel dead inside, but if I felt a little better I can tell this would be the greatest gaming ride I've had yet.

Please tell me that if you're irresponsibly splurging on 3DS games that you at least picked up Uprising.

. . .I-I mean Smash.
I had a 3ds before and just upgraded. Uprising was one of the first games I bought and I also have an eshop copy of Smash :).

OP
OP

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really see your point OP? I mean there are some excellent exclusives on the switch but why did it get you more passionate for games? Is it because they're single player games that are a bit different from the norm? Is it the portability?

I was in a similar position with Overwatch taking over my gaming time and I'm happy to have played all these great games this year. I don't see why I would claim a single console did that.
Because it did for me, simple as that.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
XC2 hits soon but that probably ain't what you're looking for
I'll check it out, art style really put me off so I haven't been following it. Not really the kind of game I'm looking for though. Just want something with a decent story and solid mechanics without all the busy work rpg mechanics

Deleted member 10293

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping I have a similar situation when I finally pick one up. Meant to have one by now but ran into money issues

Between SMO, BotW, and XC2 I'm really pumped for that particular style of game where I really just get sucked right into the fun and don't have any constant nagging complaint about too many modern game-isms

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
OP sounds quite disrespectful to all the other fantastic games that came out this year.

They weren't good enough for you until that patented Nintendo "magic" and "fun" eh?

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Well it's true, I haven't played much before I have gotten my Switch. Oh well I've spent 100h with Persona 5 on my PS3 and 30 with Nier on my PC this year. I have gotten a PS4 after my Switch but I haven't played that much with it, even though I have 12 games I spent probably 60 hours in total with them(with about 30 hours just for Bloodborne). On the Switch I have played this year:

150 hours of Breath of the Wild
20 hours of Mario Kart 8
30 hours of ARMS
70 hours of Super Mario Odyssey

That's already 270h of play time with just 4 games and I haven't mentioned the smaller ones, I will probably have played about 300h with my Switch now. And things look like another 50 will be added once Xenoblade 2 hits, I also ordered Mario+Rabbids yesterday so that's another 30h probably. Maybe I'll check out Splatoon 2 at some point seems like another major timesink.

2017 in general has been very good, I haven't played much in 2016 but this year and the Switch is killing it, especially the Switch it's so easy to pick it up and play for a few hours, it's somewhat more bothersome for my PS4 and even the PC(even though I use my PC with my TV).

Dunban

Oct 28, 2017
Very similar thing happened for me. I'm not even sure why - the Switch has some fantastic games, but they're obviously (roughly) matched in quality and far outmatched in quantity by the fantastic games on my other platforms.

Especially strange because I had quite firmly checked out from Nintendo (never even entertained the thought of buying a Wii U and have all of three 3DS games, one of which was an Art Academy pack-in).

Whatever the reason, I'm glad. Even if it's somewhat inscrutable to me, I love my Switch, and I look forward to seeing what the future holds for it.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The backlog in the back of my mind was crippling me for a long time, all these unfinished games. Not that long ago I decided that I don't need to finish all those games anymore and only play them when I want to and not because I need to finish them. I didn't finish Horizon Zero Dawn and it it was always in the back of my mind, to sever that feeling I just deleted the save game and decided to start over fresh when I feel like playing it again.

It's so liberating and I managed to finish South Park 2, Wolfenstein 2 , Mario Odyssey, and Mario & Rabbids.

And I agree, Mario Odyssey is a delight to play, with the story behind me there pressure of getting from point to a to B is gone and I can now jump in and out and collect some moons and have a blast.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
It's made me smile whilst playing again that's for sure don't get me wrong i love games today but they are mainly too serious chasing the Hollywood audience. Mario, splatoon even Zelda put a smile on my face plus i don't have to wait till the kids are in bed.

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
The backlog in the back of my mind was crippling me for a long time, all these unfinished games. Not that long ago I decided that I don't need to finish all those games anymore and only play them when I want to and not because I need to finish them. I didn't finish Horizon Zero Dawn and it it was always in the back of my mind, to sever that feeling I just deleted the save game and decided to start over fresh when I feel like playing it again.

I can relate. I also have quite a few unfinished PS4 games sitting around, have only played the Last Guardian for an hour or so, Horizon for probably 10 then never started it up again. Same with Yakuza 0, I have about 6 hours with that game. I also don't see myself ever finishing Infamous.

It's not that those games are bad, especially Yakuza 0 seems to be incredible but I somehow don't seem to be able to commit to playing them and I can't answer rationally as of why, if I had to guess it's just that they are not that pick up and play friendly as other titles...

Oct 27, 2017
Switch has been great for me to fit gaming back into my life.

I really hope Nintendo follows this model for their next generation as well.

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
SMO is the first game I've beaten all year. BotW is my most played. And I own every platform.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017

OP sounds quite disrespectful to all the other fantastic games that came out this year.

They weren't good enough for you until that patented Nintendo "magic" and "fun" eh?

Wow it seems Internet forums really favor the switch with all so little on its resume.

Don't enter topics just to shitpost, please.

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the same way as OP. I've finished more games on Switch since its launch than I have elsewhere in the past 2 years. I'm talking about good, single-player experiences.

I think there are several reasons for this. The first being that Nintendo focuses mainly on delivering good single-player games. The second reason is that the Switch hardware makes playing games fun again; being able to play wherever I am (most importantly, while I'm laying in bed) really allows me to get lost in the game since I can keep on playing. And seeing high-quality graphics on a handheld never gets old. The third is that the OS of the Switch has been designed to keep very little between you and playing your game. Especially since once you have a game loaded, you can lock your Switch and open it back up to the game right where you were before. Lastly, there has been an outstanding amount of quality indie games on the Switch eShop to supplement players' libraries in between releases of bigger titles. In my experience, these indies offer interesting single-player stories (reoccurring theme here) with unique gameplay mechanics wrapped up in shorter-yet-satisfying packages. And lastly, the Switch has allowed me to play local co-op with friends and family for the first time in a long time, thanks to its portability and its split Joy-Con functionality. I was out with a friend getting pizza awhile back, and we played Mario Kart while we waited. Just like the good old days.