• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the key thing the switch is missing (because I love the console) are story driven games, whether they're just ports of indie games or first party Nintendo. Thimble Weed park and Oxenfree are about it. Even telltale games would be something

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
I know exactly what you mean. It's nice to have these Nintendo games coming out every month or two that provide a fairly unique experience compared to the bevy of other titles constantly releasing that end up sharing too much in common. When you couple this with the Switches hybrid qualities it has enhanced my gamifing experiences thus far.

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
That's the thing after those two games than what?

There's also a lot for the more competitive crowd with Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8DX and ARMS. If you like strategy games there's a pretty good looking Mario+Rabbids Spinoff available as well as the Disgaea 5 complete edition. If you're into musou games Fire Emblem Warrios might be interesting and if you're looking for an excellent JRPG there's Xenoblade Chronicles 2 arriving soon.

PS4 has quality and quantity granted it's been out longer but that's my point. Dreamcast had two QUALITY games at launch than died quickly.
The Switch already has a lot more to offer, than just two "quality" titles, as I mentioned above. Not to count all those indie titles, I don't get your point. It's clear that a 4 year old console will have the quantity advantage over a 8 months old one.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017

https://www.resetera.com/threads/faq.315/

2Qcy6Kv.png

You heard me.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Opposite for me. Without deeper RPG mechanics I simply can't get super invested in the games you mentioned.

And yes, I understand that the mechanics in games like Assassin's Creed and such are mostly just number bumps and such. But I can't help it. Not getting new abilities in Mario has kind of bored me with it. Not getting cool unique weapons in Zelda and only doing shrines for hearts or stamina isn't enough of a reward. Maybe I'm a bad gamer, but it's how I feel.

Still looking forward to Xenoblade though.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats I guess? Lot of people said the same for the Vita. It's nice that you guys finally have a handheld that isn't an technological relic + ergonomic nightmare. Still way too heavy for comfortable play though, and not nearly enough JP third party stuff.

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
Same here! At the start of this year I was actually wondering if maybe it was time for me to step back from video games a bit. I hadn't played anything that really wowed me in years and I thought maybe I'd seen all there was to see.

When I played BotW I felt like I was 12 again, discovering video games for the first time. Just absolutely incredible.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats I guess? Lot of people said the same for the Vita. It's nice that you guys finally have a handheld that isn't an technological relic + ergonomic nightmare. Still way too heavy for comfortable play though, and not nearly enough JP third party stuff.

I agree with everything you said though I want more western third party games. The Bethesda ones are a good start though.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
It's indeed nice to have the flexibility of the Switch. It'll make getting through Xenoblade 2 much easier.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting one of my son this Christmas. He's a hardcore Nintendo fan but even he says he wants to wait till there's more games. It's gonna be a Mario odyssey console for awhile.

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
I agree. Zelda BOTW and Mario+Rabbids are 2 of the my fleshiest gaming experiences in the last 15 years. It seems that Mario odyssey will be added to the list soon.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I've always wanted Steam or something like it to come to a portable device that isn't tied down to a TV. The Switch providing a great platform for indies and the subsequent rush of high quality indies and snappy shop interface is just as good.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
The Switch makes it easy to finish games. That's for sure.

Something about playing handheld with headphones makes it easier to finish a game then playing on TV.

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
Same for me. For some reason I can't get excited about those big budget open world games on other consoles, but Switch with its line-up is a breath of fresh air.

Darth Finky Spunky

Banned for using alt accounts
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I already beat BOTW on Wii U, and could probably beat Mario Odyssey in one sitting pending I won't be distracted by this beautiful site, after that the Switch just becomes a paper weight. I'm not going to play some games that were ported over from last gen, that's just me. The console itself won't last with the likes of PS5 and PS5 Plus on the horizon in terms of graphics.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
We all have something that "brings us back" into gaming at some point.

Back in the 2000s, I went on a hiatus because I kind of stopped caring about gaming for a bit. But eventually I picked up a Gameboy Advance SP and played Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and those experiences brought me right back in.

The last few years I've had a couple of other examples. Steam really reinvigorated my interest in playing games on PC, particularly indies. Also, interestingly enough, diving into Dark Souls on X360 (in the year 2016, mind you) got me back into "big games" which led me to other stellar titles such as Red Dead Redemption. And now I'm on Steam playing the likes of Dark Souls II and Fallout: New Vegas, PLUS all these amazing indie games that my PC can actually run, and I just recently bought a Switch.

With the Switch being a beast for Nintendo games and indies, I could easily see it carrying me quite a bit further in the hobby. Yeah, I'm full-on into all this gaming goodness, now. Sometimes it just takes the right push.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Gaming fatigue is perfectly natural.

For me, it's never one game that "cures" my gaming fatigue. I just choose the right time when I've spent a healthy amount of time away from this medium. Sometimes you just want to do something different with your free time. Not everyone wants to transition from a stressful activity (work) to a stressful activity (quite a few videogame genres are not very relaxing, thank indie devs for frustration-free narrative games tho). That's why I go to the cinema, exercise, visit places, walk in a park, spend time with others, etc.

takriel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild and now Super Mario Odyssey are pure fun to play. They are exactly what I want out of games. They are great examples of what games as a medium can achieve.

I love the Nintendo Switch right now.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To reply the comments out of subject: I had played many games this year from all platforms, that's why I was feeling fatigued. In any moment I said "this console is better" nah, keep your trash out of my threads

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I already beat BOTW on Wii U, and could probably beat Mario Odyssey in one sitting pending I won't be distracted by this beautiful site, after that the Switch just becomes a paper weight. I'm not going to play some games that were ported over from last gen, that's just me. The console itself won't last with the likes of PS5 and PS5 Plus on the horizon in terms of graphics.

B---but... this is not what this thread is about?

ADS

Oct 27, 2017
I'm completely on board with this, same thing happened to me. I used to read about games more than play them, but Switch has completely turned that around. It's even re-energized me to start back up and organize/clear my Steam backlog again.

EDIT:

If the Switch starts getting some shmup ports (Mushihimesama/Blue Revolver) and supports Tate I probably won't need anything else for the next decade. :D

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This happen to me with VR. Trying the Vive for the first time was a really cool experience that amazed me, especially when I didn't feel like playing any games as I was burnt out at the time. It felt like a renewal which is why I bought one for myself after trying it, can't say the Switch has done that for me as I haven't been burned out recently playing a variety of titles this year.

However it's a great device nonetheless. Splatoon2 is probably my favorite multiplayer game so far this gen

takriel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are you so bitter?

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
Same here. I have purchased more games for the Switch year one than I have for any other platform, and I've been gaming since the first crash. Love this console. It just makes you want to play.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Zelda BOTW did this for me. I would start a game play for an hour and never play it again. Now I have gone back and beaten several of these games. Still have a huge backlog though.

SpScarecrow

Oct 27, 2017
It helped me enjoy gaming again. For a while i would play games just to pass the time but didn't enjoy them which is why i had so many unfinished games. They were a distraction and not a hobby. I got a Switch because my friends had hyped it and i wanted to try Pokken when it came out. A few weeks later i got Arms and that's when it hit me. I felt myself being hooked to Arms. Arms was so simple but actually fun. None of the stress of a big rpg and i didn't feel the need to get good like with games like SF5. It was just pure fun. Then FE Warriors came out and i adored that as well despite the roster complaints. Mario has also been a joy. I found myself even picking up my 3ds to play Pokemon and now games feel fun again. So...thank you Switch.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like the Switch is any match for the PS4's graphics as it is and people are still buying it, why would the PS5 kill it on that basis?

At most it'll pull third party ports out from under it, but it's been selling largely on Nintendo's big flashy games as it is and by the time the PS5 is out the Switch will have time for third party exclusives to be put into development.

...TBH I kinda feel maddeningly bored just thinking of the idea of only liking Mario and Zelda on the Switch. Fortunately on my end Splatoon was good enough that I would have double dipped even if it didn't end up being a full sequel the way it did, and it's giving me a good time to pick up games like Fire Emblem Warriors that I was curious about their equivalents of on the Wii U but never picked up and find the Switch counterpart to suit my personal franchise experience far better.

And then of course you have Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Kirby Star Allies, Fire Emblem 2018, Pokemon-none of which are ported and all of which have my attention for later this year or next year and onward. I have a hard time actually seeing this system becoming a paperweight for me post Mario, heck I haven't even bought Mario yet. Maybe I'll pick up Mario during a dry spell or ask for it for the holidays or something.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The Switch has been magical for me. Makes you feel like a kid again. Personally I haven't felt that for a system since the GameCube.
Yeah, it really does but in a way that I personally can't explain. I saw a thread title this morning for Everybody's Golf and I instinctively thought "man that game would be amazing for the Switch" even though it's just as easy, if not *easier*, for me to just play my PS4

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel the same, the Switch has been a breath of fresh air. Easily my most played machine this year (and what a first year!)

Only ps4 title i enjoyed have been Horizon and on pc Divinity 2. Otherwise Mk8, Splatoon, mario rabbids, arms, zelda, mario odyssey + all great indies makes it the best first year of ANY console imo

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria

I think you overestimate graphics a bit, yes it would be great to have SMO in 1080p but I wouldn't want to trade it for the 60fps the game has, take the Crash Collection for example, runs at an even higher res on the PS4 Pro but is locked at 30fps, why? Because some developers value graphical fidelity over fluidity. As long as Nintendo stays true to their approach, aiming for 60fps whenever possible, I don't think they will be in trouble, cause even the new shiny PS5 that may or may not launch within the next two years will not feature a lot of 60fps exclusives. Because we want to see even better graphics and those will likely not be achievable with more than 30fps as the line gets thinner and thinner the more we progress.

I consider these kind of graphics to be good enough:

2017103012020900-8aedu5s5a.jpg

Especially at 60fps. And no, you won't be able to truly finish Odyssey within a single weekend, as you haven't seen most of the game before gathering at least 500 moons.

Last edited:

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
For me it was pc gaming that made it fun again, it was just about breaking the mold, been gaming for 30 years and I needed something different..

Kovacs

Oct 27, 2017
I feel pretty much the same and I think It's been the 'pick up and play' aspect for me. There are so many games that I've not even started because I know that I could dedicate 4-5 hours to starting and getting into it but then know I won't be able to touch it again for another couple of weeks. A good example would be Dragon Age: Inquisition in 2015 where I started it in January and never got to play for more than a couple of hours every few weeks and it took until June to finish and I don't want to have the same experience with Witcher 3 or the like.

With Switch, I've been able to start something like Zelda but also been able to grab 30 minutes during lunch at work or in one of the many departure halls I find myself in regularly. Even some of the games themselves have been structured nicely where the non-linearity of the games mean you can make progress but then save bosses etc until you're back at your TV - Mario & Zelda are great for this.

I still want to got and play those huge sprawling games, but I do find myself wishing that every had a hybrid version now.